Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #83

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely missed evening too, but that makes me wonder what he classifies as evening. Daily Mail had pictures of CL cutting grass that day. Fox 13, I think, had Evan Axelbank reporting live at 6 pm in front of the home and there's no Mustang in that footage. Now I can't remember if it was here in the DM pictures, but I'm going back to look. Actually, I don't recall seeing the Mustang there at all in any photos I've found from the 12th. Now I need to look again.

Making me wonder now if BL left the evening of the 11th instead....
Im with you and @64WhetstoneRoad on this question. I put up similar questions many threads back. There was one lengthy discussion about BE coverage of house and Mustang sightings and 6am or 6 pm posting by him, as well as a VERY lengthy discussion about the rain that day.
As time passed, so much more was revealed to be packed into Monday Sept. 13; SB spoke to BL, SB initial depiction of BL “grieving”, SB report of house activity of CL upset about not being able to get BL not the leave the house, BL taking a hike to clear his head- but gone long enough to cause enough concern that CL searched for him 4-5 hrs THAT night, CL mowing lawn, SB casually chatting with FBI about BL bit coming home from hike, now seeing SB said BL left in the evening…. I have a post way back, I’ll look back , something else is bugging me about this day… but the hours don’t seem to line up.
The only way I get it to fit with any chronological sense is that Brian left the 11 or 12. To me this also explains the initial “mistake” in reporting BL was gone the 14th. The Ls also initially reported that they had picked up the Mustang on Thursday the 16. It wasn’t until BE started posting photos on his Twitter disputing this and saying the car was in the driveway on Weds the 15th, and the date on the ticket was shown to be the 14th, that the Ls changed their missing person and car pick up dates. IMO they “picked” another date for BL to have gone missing, but now in hindsight as that day is filled in with “time stamps”, it makes less and less sense.
Moo moo.

If they didn't find any other persons DNA on or around Gabby, that would say a lot in my book.

That would be interesting to me only if they find alot of BL's DNA. Given their relationship and their living situation, BL's DNA should be there irrespective of his involvement in the crime. If little is found, then not finding someone else's wouldn't say all that much to me (except that conditions were not ideal for DNA preservation.)

And if someone else's DNA is found, that may or may not mean anything about her murder. She stayed in a hotel recently. She probably sat on the bed on the bedspread. She may have worn the same sweatshirt at the hotel as at the campsite. She recently had her hair colored so she spent time in a salon. We know they went to the MP restaurant on the 27th. Lots of opportunities for transfer.
JMO

Im with you and @64WhetstoneRoad on this question. I put up similar questions many threads back. There was one lengthy discussion about BE coverage of house and Mustang sightings and 6am or 6 pm posting by him, as well as a VERY lengthy discussion about the rain that day.
As time passed, so much more was revealed to be packed into Monday Sept. 13; SB spoke to BL, SB initial depiction of BL “grieving”, SB report of house activity of CL upset about not being able to get BL not the leave the house, BL taking a hike to clear his head- but gone long enough to cause enough concern that CL searched for him 4-5 hrs THAT night, CL mowing lawn, SB casually chatting with FBI about BL bit coming home from hike, now seeing SB said BL left in the evening…. I have a post way back, I’ll look back , something else is bugging me about this day… but the hours don’t seem to line up.
The only way I get it to fit with any chronological sense is that Brian left the 11 or 12. To me this also explains the initial “mistake” in reporting BL was gone the 14th. The Ls also initially reported that they had picked up the Mustang on Thursday the 16. It wasn’t until BE started posting photos on his Twitter disputing this and saying the car was in the driveway on Weds the 15th, and the date on the ticket was shown to be the 14th, that the Ls changed their missing person and car pick up dates. IMO they “picked” another date for BL to have gone missing, but now in hindsight as that day is filled in with “time stamps”, it makes less and less sense.
Moo moo.
I know people take SB's statements with a grain of salt, but for whatever it's worth, he does say this:

Bertolino confirmed to 8 On Your Side he spoke with Brian before he was reported missing.

“I can tell you I last spoke to him Sept. 13 and I spoke to him Sept. 12,” he said. “Beyond that, there’s nothing further I am going to add.”

Brian Laundrie timeline: Family attorney details days surrounding disappearance of Gabby Petito’s fiancé

In my own view, BL probably did not take a phone of any sort to the swamp, and I tend to believe SB here, so IMO, BL likely left on the 13th, sometime after speaking with SB. And do we know if CL spent a solid 4-5 hours searching, or did he maybe just come and go several times while they waited for BL's return? Jmo.

I don't know if it helps narrow the time down, but there is also this, from the same source:

According to Bertolino, Brian’s dad Chris went out to the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park on Sept. 13 after his son didn’t come home.

“Chris went out that night and looked for him,” the attorney said. “It was wet, it was rainy. Chris couldn’t see anything. It was dark.”

According to this weather information link, the only rain that day was from around 4:15 to before 5:53 pm.
Weather in September 2021 in City of North Port, Florida, USA

And sunset was 7:35 pm.

Last edited:
Moo moo.

I found the link to the thread where I posted originally about the rain and the Fox13 reports on the 13th. It was on pg 42.
Found Deceased - WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #59

They were boyfriend and girlfriend. It's an absolute given that each will have the DNA of the other on them, especially when they were living together and sleeping together in such a confined space.

DNA under Gabby's nails wouldn't prove that BL killed her. It could prove they'd had another fight at some point prior to her death, where she had scratched him (as shown on the police body cam footage). I don't believe the DNA of one intimate partner on another definitively proves guilt, and BL's DNA under Gabby's fingernails would only prove that she had scratched him, not that he had killed her.

MOO

The FBI will also looking at Gabby's crime scene for DNA that does not match BL and could indicate the presence of a third person (or more). If that does not exist, then we will have a definitive answer that BL killed Gabby. If there is significant DNA indicating a third person or persons, then, the whole case may be completely different than what has been portrayed by the media and more like what SB has hinted at. I do believe one way or the other we will know for sure if BL did this or not. Right now, with what has been made public, there is a strong circumstantial case against BL, now we are looking to the FBI for physical evidence. For the sake of Gabby's family, I would like to see this case concluded with so there are no remaining conspiracy theories.

I know people take SB's statements with a grain of salt, but for whatever it's worth, he does say this:

Bertolino confirmed to 8 On Your Side he spoke with Brian before he was reported missing.

“I can tell you I last spoke to him Sept. 13 and I spoke to him Sept. 12,” he said. “Beyond that, there’s nothing further I am going to add.”

Brian Laundrie timeline: Family attorney details days surrounding disappearance of Gabby Petito’s fiancé

In my own view, BL probably did not take a phone of any sort to the swamp, and I tend to believe SB here, so IMO, BL likely left on the 13th, sometime after speaking with SB. And do we know if CL spent a solid 4-5 hours searching, or did he maybe just come and go several times while they waited for BL's return? Jmo.

I don't know if it helps narrow the time down, but there is also this, from the same source:

According to Bertolino, Brian’s dad Chris went out to the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park on Sept. 13 after his son didn’t come home.

“Chris went out that night and looked for him,” the attorney said. “It was wet, it was rainy. Chris couldn’t see anything. It was dark.”

According to this weather information link, the only rain that day was from around 4:15 to before 5:53 pm.
Weather in September 2021 in City of North Port, Florida, USA

And sunset was 7:35 pm.
I take SBs statements with a salt block. IMO he’s a clever little wordsmith, but he has often stumbled. That back and forth with AB about “mentioned” vs “reported” BL missing to the FBI was worthy of of “who’s on first” laughter.
He doesn’t mention where BL was located during the phone call, what phone was used, or if the Sept 13 conversation was at
12:01 AM…and if BL left after the call he might have considered it “that evening” but of the 12th .

I'm not sure what difference it makes how he died. We can all imagine the scene differently. I personally don't see any sense in taking yourself to a peaceful place and delivering yourself a violent death (such as with a gun, which is the opposite of peaceful). Of course he might have done, with sufficient self-loathing, but I would swallow a handful of pills and lay down and drift into unconsciousness. His body was found in pieces so that could only have been done by animals. The pieces may have been moved about, but probably not very far. The place was allegedly flooded (the area roundabout surely, but including the precise spot where he was found under the trees...? I somehow doubt that).

Anyway, it's all academic. They failed to find the body earlier, but I personally don't believe a wilderness area can or should be searched anything more than superficially because of the cost and the disruption to the environment. They shouldn't have let BL escape in the first place, but that seems to be a Constitutional issue.

<modsnip>
this is Tropicaire In North Port. this kind of explains how much water we’ve had all summer. This is the residential area where ppl had to be rescued. This water spills out of Myakkahatchi Which was flooded pretty much all summer! We had rain every day. Believe me it was flooded!
ppl had alligators in the waters flooding their homes! Waist deep waters!
Flooding impacts North Port Estates, a scramble to stay dry

Last edited by a moderator:
I take SBs statements with a salt block. IMO he’s a clever little wordsmith, but he has often stumbled. That back and forth with AB about “mentioned” vs “reported” BL missing to the FBI was worthy of of “who’s on first” laughter.
He doesn’t mention where BL was located during the phone call, what phone was used, or if the Sept 13 conversation was at
12:01 AM…and if BL left after the call he might have considered it “that evening” but of the 12th .
Doesn't LE know what time BL left? They were monitoring the house, so LE knows when he left.

More on my mind, is the fact that SB has claimed the Ls gave this location - a favored trail of BL, hiked together with CL- to LE since the beginning of the search. According LE, it was not searched due to flooding. According to LE, they brought in experts to examine areas under water. It defies logic to me, with any methods available, archaic hooks to modern technology, why this area was not searched. The prevailing argument that one of the main trails identified by the Laundries was too deep in water to be searched, but not deep enough to be examined by the water experts, is illogical. Then add to it your argument about suicides near bodies of water, I’m sure backed by research and statistics, the fact that LE did NOT search an area which was submerged, yet identified by the parents, makes even less sense to me.

The final illogic , to me, is once the water covering the trail identified by the Ls, had receded, it was not searched before the reserve was opened.

so let’s review:
1. Ls tell LE trail(s) to search
2. Fav trail hiked with Dad underwater, LE says they can’t search it
3. Fav train hiked with Dad underwater, but not deep enough to warrant water experts to take a gander, LE doesn’t search it.
4. Water recedes a bit LE doesn’t search now visible trail.
5 Park reopens and Ls go to their “first” trail and immediately find their son.

defies logic. IMO.

ETA typo

FWIW, maybe not much, as I recall when they searched for Taleka Patrick, there was a fairly small pond right near her car. It was searched, but frozen, and her body was found in it later- not on the early searches. The Teleka Patrick case: One year later I have no experience with water searches but I imagine that if a body does not actually sink, it could move around even during the search and be missed. IMO. I think the initial searchers might have thought that BL was alive and trying to avoid flooded areas (?), so they were looking at areas with higher ground? IMO.

That would be interesting to me only if they find alot of BL's DNA. Given their relationship and their living situation, BL's DNA should be there irrespective of his involvement in the crime. If little is found, then not finding someone else's wouldn't say all that much to me (except that conditions were not ideal for DNA preservation.)

And if someone else's DNA is found, that may or may not mean anything about her murder. She stayed in a hotel recently. She probably sat on the bed on the bedspread. She may have worn the same sweatshirt at the hotel as at the campsite. She recently had her hair colored so she spent time in a salon. We know they went to the MP restaurant on the 27th. Lots of opportunities for transfer.
JMO

where is the salon info? News to me, but reinforces the dichotomy that GP was trying to be a "model" and BL was trying to be Bear Grylls....

I'm not sure what difference it makes how he died. We can all imagine the scene differently. I personally don't see any sense in taking yourself to a peaceful place and delivering yourself a violent death (such as with a gun, which is the opposite of peaceful). Of course he might have done, with sufficient self-loathing, but I would swallow a handful of pills and lay down and drift into unconsciousness. His body was found in pieces so that could only have been done by animals. The pieces may have been moved about, but probably not very far. The place was allegedly flooded (the area roundabout surely, but including the precise spot where he was found under the trees...? I somehow doubt that).

Anyway, it's all academic. They failed to find the body earlier, but I personally don't believe a wilderness area can or should be searched anything more than superficially because of the cost and the disruption to the environment. They shouldn't have let BL escape in the first place, but that seems to be a Constitutional issue.

<modsnip>

My dad always said that a gun death was the best human-induced death, in his opinion. As a soldier who fought in the Battle of the Bulge (and throughout Europe) and someone who left school at age 12 in the Great Depression to hunt for his family, and also ran a "put-down" service for dogs and horses that ranchers and farmers couldn't bring themselves to euthanize, I'm going to trust him. He also argued that a firing squad was better than hanging, etc. When he was old, he talked of killing himself and said he would use a gun, as he knew it would be quick and the least painful.

So, that's how I was brought up thinking about guns. Pills are so uncertain. I've worked in ER's (as an observer) and so many people attempt with pills and survive (but often with brain damage or other issues). There's no "handful of pills" that anyone would have on hand that could accomplish this. Unless of course, you have fentanyl on hand, or may oxycontin, but most people don't. Benzos won't kill you. Aspirin is very hard to kill yourself with, etc.

I don't think suicide by gun has anything to do with self-loathing. Fortunately, my dad was able to get hospice care when he broke his hip at age 99.

If BL did use a gun, LE must have it in evidence and are merely waiting for the forensic anthropologist to literally put the pieces together.

If BL did have drugs like opiates on hand (where did he get them??), then he could have taken them and placed himself in the water. That is my alternate theory. I don't think he had sufficient drugs on hand to suicide, but if he did, they had to have come from that household and surely would have been prescription meds. Using a caustic chemical will work too, but what an awful, awful way to die. The anthropologist should be able to find evidence of drowning (if he did have opiates), inside the marrow bones if any were found (I bet at least one was found).

<modsnip: Quoted post was modsnipped>

Last edited by a moderator:
where is the salon info? News to me, but reinforces the dichotomy that GP was trying to be a "model" and BL was trying to be Bear Grylls....

It's been deduced from her pictures, in which her hair seems blonded in between Zion and Moab. And several of us have argued that it would be very difficult for a person to do such an expert job in a van situation or even a hotel. However she achieved it (I doubt lemon juice would result in that type of careful lift of mostly the roots of her hair), it does show that she wanted her hair to look good on camera. I think most women who are trying to do Insta and TikTok and Youtube feel this way.

I think BL saw himself way more as that one modern day wilderness aficionado who criticizes thorough for not spending indefinite time in the wilderness (can't think of his name, but we've discussed him here, as BL mentions him in his insta posts) or as Chuck Palahniuk (organic vegan anarchist?)

I hear you on the salt block.

FWIW, I recall SB saying (in a different and I think earlier interview) ‘he was at home, with his parents’ in reference to the phone convo with BL on the 13th.

Moo for now. But when I have a chance I will look for the quote and post it if I find it.

The FBI will also looking at Gabby's crime scene for DNA that does not match BL and could indicate the presence of a third person (or more). If that does not exist, then we will have a definitive answer that BL killed Gabby. If there is significant DNA indicating a third person or persons, then, the whole case may be completely different than what has been portrayed by the media and more like what SB has hinted at. I do believe one way or the other we will know for sure if BL did this or not. Right now, with what has been made public, there is a strong circumstantial case against BL, now we are looking to the FBI for physical evidence. For the sake of Gabby's family, I would like to see this case concluded with so there are no remaining conspiracy theories.
I have to wonder what SB’s intentions were regarding his legal advice to the L family. What was he expecting and how did his advice help any of them? IMO

The change in her hair is pretty obvious in photos. Compare the Monarch photos to ones from before BL's first trip to FL. No way she could color the back of her head on her own. So she must have gone to a salon IMO.

But yes, there's a dichotomy, for sure.

found this picture:
Gabby Petito Lived, Worked in North Carolina for More Than 1 Year Prior to Moving to Florida - CSU-World-Record Breaking News

she still has fairly light hair, and that is easy to lighten, and there is a lot of sun in the summer, but I will defer to whomever about the salon. I do believe that it would be a challenge to do almost anything in a van; no running water.

I believe when Brian left it was clear to his parents that there was a high possibility that he was going to take his own life. By leaving, he hoped to take the publicity with him. I don’t think he imagined things would turn out as they did with the media camped outside for weeks, demonstrations, individuals shouting stuff at the house, a memorial for Gabby on the lawn and Doug the Bounty hunter. None of us predicted this.

I think his parents were terrified when he left that day, but hoped the charge of scene would help him to clear his head and calm him down a bit. I suspect he was never any good at verbalising his emotions, so probably went to the reserve in the past when things got on top of him and may have spent the night there in the past too.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he indicated that they shouldn’t worry if he didn’t come back that night. Although I believe Brian took his own life reasonably quickly, I don’t think it was necessarily on that first day, so he wanted at least 24 hours to decide what to do and presumably whether he wanted to leave an explanation for what happened to Gabby.

He may have invoked some memories of going to that specific area with the family and how much he loved it when they went there. Ironically, Brian did not want his parents to suffer the pain of his body not being found.

Nonetheless when Brian didn’t come back that day, his parents were getting really scared, so his dad went and tried to find him. I think Brian was possibly still alive at that point and hiding from his dad as his head was in such a mess.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if he left a note with the Mustang, or left some belongings that enabled his parents to know he was not going to come back home. Either way, I am certain that they knew very early on that Brian was dead.

Having been in my 20s during the 1980s I can assure you women can cover all their hair with dye or bleach all on their own. It is inexpensive, easy, and not time-consuming. No skill or help is necessary. You need one hour and a clean water source.

Most girls know this.

But we aren't talking about mixing up & pouring on a one step dye. Lightening blonde hair does require some skill to avoid all kinds of mishaps. GP's hair looked like a pro job, not a "do it in the bathroom at a campground" job to me. There is at least one picture where the back of her head appeared undone (the one where she's walking with her Petito half-brothers) but the mid-trip color refresh looked professional.

JMO

But we aren't talking about mixing up & pouring on a one step dye. Lightening blonde hair does require some skill to avoid all kinds of mishaps. GP's hair looked like a pro job, not a "do it in the bathroom at a campground" job to me. There is at least one picture where the back of her head appeared undone (the one where she's walking with her Petito half-brothers) but the mid-trip color refresh looked professional.

Maybe, but I've seen DIY bleach jobs that looked every bit as professional as GP's. (My partner's for one.) In truth, we don't know. I tend to think she did it herself when they got a hotel room for the night. That's a total guess too, just like going to the salon is a guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay