GUILTY WY - Jesse Speer for kidnap, rape of 10yo girl, Cody, 8 Oct 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
TEAM COVERAGE - One week after the alleged abduction and sexual assault of a young Cody, Wyoming girl a captured suspect faces a judge, charges and a violated community.

Tonight: We bring you the latest in the case, how Jesse Speer allegedly eluded federal and local law enforcement for 5 days, and how officials tracked him down.

Almost a 10 minute news story detailing the story...

http://www.ktvq.com/news/q2-monday-5-30-p-m-top-story-10-15-2012/#!prettyPhoto/0/

Not this again. It isn't "alleged" that she was abducted or that it took five days before he was apprehended. The alleged part is that he's the one who did it; that's what would be libel if stated as fact. If you have to cast doubt on something, let it be his guilt and not her testimony.

And by "you" I mean the reporter, not you, Peliman. Carry on.

The thing I found most interesting in the Q2 broadcast piece, and I had not heard before, is the police guy responding to a question by saying that he 'will not comment on the confession'.

The thing I found most interesting in the Q2 broadcast piece, and I had not heard before, is the police guy responding to a question by saying that he 'will not comment on the confession'.

I noticed that too.... it was like a little hiccup in the broadcast. I also found the look on Speer's face interesting. I have thought and thought about how to describe the look on his face. He looks like he is on another 'adventure'! Well, he hasn't seen anything yet!!! Wait until he gets a view of those cell walls, and of course, the proverbial 'bathroom' walls in prison. Do you guys think he realizes what he has done??? (assuming that he is guilty... of course...). :waitasec:

Confession could be related to the concern about no attorney present. I pray nothing has to be thrown out due to procedure.

do we know about his childhood?
He seemed to have married later in life. Age 30?
Has 2 small children.
Divorsed in 2009.
Went to college.
Never had a job.
Just went straight into his photography free lance work?

What else do we know?

bbm: I think, on one of "his" pages we saw earlier, which may not exist anymore, he stated he was "a graphic designer by profession" and did his photography "on the side", more or less. Don't recall an employer being mentioned by name, though.

He has been married twice? Maybe the first divorce was in 2002.

He has been married twice? Maybe the first divorce was in 2002.

Yes, he was married twice. Edited to add: I can't link to it, it was listed in his 2004 bankruptcy proceedings which is available via subscription. The divorce was in Georgia either 2003 or 2004 as it had to be declared as having been within 1 year of his May 2004 BK filing.

I noticed that too.... it was like a little hiccup in the broadcast. I also found the look on Speer's face interesting. I have thought and thought about how to describe the look on his face. He looks like he is on another 'adventure'! Well, he hasn't seen anything yet!!! Wait until he gets a view of those cell walls, and of course, the proverbial 'bathroom' walls in prison. Do you guys think he realizes what he has done??? (assuming that he is guilty... of course...). :waitasec:

I'm not sure he realizes what he has done. He looks almost like a man having a psychotic break. Not that I'm a shrink, that's just what his expression and motions made me think of.

I'm not sure he realizes what he has done. He looks almost like a man having a psychotic break. Not that I'm a shrink, that's just what his expression and motions made me think of.

He can't be too psychotic if it took 5 days to find the evil ****.

He can't be too psychotic if it took 5 days to find the evil ****.

I'm not saying he is. Just that's what it made me think of. I don't think he was having any kind of mental break when he committed the crime, but the results of it may be driving him over the edge. I hope they have him on suicide watch...

Yes, he was married twice. Edited to add: I can't link to it, it was listed in his 2004 bankruptcy proceedings which is available via subscription. The divorce was in Georgia either 2003 or 2004 as it had to be declared as having been within 1 year of his May 2004 BK filing.

I believe his marriage to his most recent wife (per her blog) was 2003 - 2009. So, he had to be divorced from his first wife by then. Maybe sometime during 2002 - 2003. Perhaps she got a pretty good settlement, which was the beginning of his financial woes. The 2009 divorce probably took another toll on him financially and emotionally. Wonder why he lost custody of his kids. I don't remember seeing - does that include no visitation? If so, could be that his wife had stumbled upon something sinister in his life and wanted to protect the children.

CO police said "ruled out"; I think they must be basing that on either DNA and/or knowing exactly where this guy was on the 5th.

If they ruled out a connection between the Cody abduction and the JR case earlier this week (and they did) it couldn't have been because of a DNA sample--they didn't have a suspect in custody for the JR case to compare samples with. And they didn't know the suspect's name early on in the Cody case, so would not have known where he specifically was...though they had a record of where the suspicious car was at various times.

It's my guess the surveillance videos of the suspicious car and the timeline of events in both cases ruled out the connection, but who knows.

He looks 50. The baseball cap he was reportedly wearing probably threw off his appearance a little bit for the children witnesses. I also thought he changed his hair color, hopefully he was busy doing that and not erasing all of his computer hard drives and camera media before the FBI got them. That is my argument against the FBI sitting and watching him, it gave him time to destroy evidence.

If they're waiting and watching, it's simply optimal strategy; their experts don't fear loss of computer evidence. It wouldn't matter if he did try to erase the *advertiser censored* off his drives; the evidence is still available to authorities via the server. You can't truly 'erase' your computer activity. It's only 'soft' deleted on many sites, anyway. For instance, on this forum, you can delete a post; but with this particular set-up (vBulletin) the admin (and sometimes the mods if set up that way) can still access what was originally posted.

Is it normal for the internet to be cleaned of a suspects info? It is definitely happening. I wonder who is doing it?

It's not really being 'cleaned' of suspect's info; the authorities have probably long gotten it downloaded before we start seeing stuff get deleted. And even after it looks 'gone' to us, they still can access it. While they might shut down a site (if they thought comments could compromise the judicial process), it's more often the individual sites (eg. Facebook) that are trying to shut down the flame wars and nastiness. Individuals closely related to criminal suspects in high profile cases will often try to clean off any of their personal information as well, in an attempt to ward off the vigilantes who might stalk or harass them as a result.

IN NO WAY am I sticking up for this guy...

but it seems life stressors kept building and building, good and bad; he got divorced, lost custody of kids (wonder what type of visitation was granted); had his first book being published; seemed to be getting noticed as an artist; sometimes people feel they are unworthy of happiness/achievements.

I think he might also be a pompous a$$ and he deserves what he has coming to him.

From what little I've read, it seems more like a guy whose life has been in a pretty steady downward spiral. The book, while published (and his work is excellent quality), was self-published. That means he paid for the printed copies and is trying to sell them off his website. As a writer with two other book authors in the family, I can attest that even publishing with a legitimate publisher has unreliable profit nowadays to the author, considering the amount of work put in. The publishing industry has been nose-diving in this Internet age, and coffee-table books with expensive photo printing are NOT selling--to publishers or to the economy-stricken public.

Having also had a family member who was a *advertiser censored* addict, I can tell you that increased stress triggers increased addictive behavior. I sense this could be the scenario with this man's life. In 2002 he's selling off camera equipment, probably to pay for divorce lawyers in 2003; in 2004 his business is declaring bankruptcy; in 2009 he's going through a second divorce and losing his kids while still trying to finish up his self-published book with his divorcing wife so he can fund that divorce; in 2010 a close cousin dies...a sorry downward spiral that doesn't excuse his horrific choices, but perhaps hints at his state of mind.

Crimes like this tend to really bother us--because I think we'd like to believe we can prevent evil from touching our lives if we only were to take enough precaution. If we could discover the 'trigger' or the 'cause' that could explain the reliably jolting recurrence of evil in our world, maybe we could set things up to prevent it from touching us or our loved ones. And so when the perp is someone so seemingly normal--even gifted, or likeable--someone we might have friended on Facebook or chatted with at coffee breaks, it shakes us up that no one could see the warning signals.

Some things are preventable and foreseeable; but others are not. Evil is here, in every disguise, in every form, and to every degree. It's in the human race...and I'll admit, my own personal brand still lurks in the far reaches of my own human heart (greed, pride, self-centeredness). It seems all we can do is fight it where we can with God's help, but also to try to overcome its inevitable occurrence with the good He would like to see come out of it. I see that amazing little girl in the Cody abduction doing just that.

NBC Montana is reporting that his ex wife filed emergency custody papers on Monday. In the papers, she says he threatened her, punched holes in walls and doors and killed her pet cat! She apparently told the court that she was afraid of him and of what he would be capable of. She requests only phone contact w kids once weekly.

They also interview a neighbor who lived near his home in 2010 as him being just an everyday guy. Her daughter played w his son.

Www.nbcmontana.com

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peachstatesleuth
Back