GUILTY WY - Jesse Speer for kidnap, rape of 10yo girl, Cody, 8 Oct 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
***Soapbox alert*****
What really ticks me off is that this will not get charged with attempted murder, because that is exactly what he did. He dropped her off where, had not the hunters been there, she would have frozen to death. And he knew it. He set her up to die, but he won't get charged with that.

I remember Lawrence Singleton, who raped and cut off the arms of a girl then left her in a ditch to die and he got out in 8 years. 8 YEARS! (Then he killed a prostitute and went to death row. Go figure.)

There ought to be some way to charge people like these for what they are really doing: leaving someone in circumstances in which they are likely to die.

****Soapbox alert off*****

LE needs to plaster his face all over the news so any past victim(s) can come forward!
Nancy drew that sketch looks just like him!

Having spent all but one year of my life in the Greater Yellowstone area, including living in Belgrade and Bozeman for 15 years, as well as being a (semi-pro) nature photographer, I've taken an interest in this case.

Reading through this thread, there are a few assumptions that people are making that should be cleared up a bit:

First, if JS was stricken with panic and decided to make a bee-line for home after leaving the victim in the backcountry, there are at least two routes out of Cody that would be more direct:

* North through Belfry and up through Laurel, getting on I-90 West
* Catching the Chief Joseph highway outside of Cody, then down the Beartooth highway into Red Lodge, north through Columbus to I-90
* There are variations of those above that would take you through some smaller towns, but in general, those are the two most likely

The only Interstates in Wyoming are east and south of Cody, and the closest is I-90 in Montana. And, of course, his hometown is right on I-90. So a more direct route to the freeway seems logical.

I have to believe the reason it seems he went west into the park was that it was the first paved road he hit and to use either of the other routes, he'd have to go back through Cody.

For those unfamiliar with Cody, there really are only two main streets that cops would have to cover to see the majority of traffic going through town, especially if the driver's destination is one of the highways out of town. So I'd guess he figured he'd be better off just not going through town.

However, once you are in Yellowstone, unless you are prepared for a backcountry trip, there's just one road, shaped like a figure-8, and there are lots of rangers, cameras at the gates, etc. This is (thankfully) the mistake he made.

I'm actually quite surprised that with his backcountry skills and knowledge that he didn't just park somewhere and head for the mountains. Although, in fall, even an experienced survivalist couldn't make it too long in that region.

I think his fascination with autumn is some sort of trigger - many of his photos are of the season, his book was even titled "Autumn." Fall in Montana is often beautiful, but it can be foreboding as well. The days start getting markedly shorter and colder and there's usually a week in October that reminds us of what's coming - winter.

Why is he not charged with sexual assault?

Towards the end of the press conference they said they'd add charges later, after the victim has time to recover and get counseling.

Having spent all but one year of my life in the Greater Yellowstone area, including living in Belgrade and Bozeman for 15 years, as well as being a (semi-pro) nature photographer, I've taken an interest in this case.

Reading through this thread, there are a few assumptions that people are making that should be cleared up a bit:

First, if JS was stricken with panic and decided to make a bee-line for home after leaving the victim in the backcountry, there are at least two routes out of Cody that would be more direct:

* Catching the Chief Joseph highway outside of Cody, then down the Beartooth highway into Red Lodge, north through Columbus to I-90
* There are variations of those above that would take you through some smaller towns, but in general, those are the two most likely

The only Interstates in Wyoming are east and south of Cody, and the closest is I-90 in Montana. And, of course, his hometown is right on I-90. So a more direct route to the freeway seems logical.

I have to believe the reason it seems he went west into the park was that it was the first paved road he hit and to use either of the other routes, he'd have to go back through Cody.

For those unfamiliar with Cody, there really are only two main streets that cops would have to cover to see the majority of traffic going through town, especially if the driver's destination is one of the highways out of town. So I'd guess he figured he'd be better off just not going through town.

However, once you are in Yellowstone, unless you are prepared for a backcountry trip, there's just one road, shaped like a figure-8, and there are lots of rangers, cameras at the gates, etc. This is (thankfully) the mistake he made.

I'm actually quite surprised that with his backcountry skills and knowledge that he didn't just park somewhere and head for the mountains. Although, in fall, even an experienced survivalist couldn't make it too long in that region.

I think his fascination with autumn is some sort of trigger - many of his photos are of the season, his book was even titled "Autumn." Fall in Montana is often beautiful, but it can be foreboding as well. The days start getting markedly shorter and colder and there's usually a week in October that reminds us of what's coming - winter.

Did he go into the park afterward though? The surveillance video I heard about was taken 10/7, which was before the abduction.

I thought I read on the ex-wife's blog yesterday that she already had full custody of her children. Now she's asking for full custody. Confused. Maybe it wasn't official and he let her have the kids full time. I'm happy she is moving forward with that action, regardless.

Did he go into the park afterward though? The surveillance video I heard about was taken 10/7, which was before the abduction.

Good point, I'm not sure when they got the footage from the Park - I just assumed it was after the fact.

I thought I read on the ex-wife's blog yesterday that she already had full custody of her children. Now she's asking for full custody. Confused. Maybe it wasn't official and he let her have the kids full time. I'm happy she is moving forward with that action, regardless.

I think "full custody" legally means that they live with one parent the majority of the time (in terms of tax exemptions, expectations of child support, etc) but still get visitation/contact with the other.

She was going to make it so there was NO visitation and/or a restraining order. So FULL full custody. I knew what she meant lol.

***Soapbox alert*****
What really ticks me off is that this will not get charged with attempted murder, because that is exactly what he did. He dropped her off where, had not the hunters been there, she would have frozen to death. And he knew it. He set her up to die, but he won't get charged with that.

I remember Lawrence Singleton, who raped and cut off the arms of a girl then left her in a ditch to die and he got out in 8 years. 8 YEARS! (Then he killed a prostitute and went to death row. Go figure.)

There ought to be some way to charge people like these for what they are really doing: leaving someone in circumstances in which they are likely to die.

****Soapbox alert off*****

I'm going to put some faith in the county attorney of Park Co., Wyoming. A few of the charges carry minimum sentences of 20 yrs to life. I suspect the judge and jury will throw the book at this guy. Whether or not he is charged with attempted murder, he could get life in prison. :jail:

He couldn't have gone via Red Lodge; the Beartooth Highway is already closed for the season.

I grew up near Bozeman -- and if I was leaving Cody, I'd go through the park. I don't know why, I just would. Possibly thinking there would be fewer people to see me at this time of year. Maybe because it's such a beautiful place.

I think you're right about autumn. I think another reason he might have driven through is just to say goodbye.

Thank you! I had the exact same confusion. Her statement and her court action contradicted themselves.

Wonder if JS was ever in Missouri?

http://www.examiner.com/article/attempted-abduction-by-gunpoint-springfield-missouri

"On September 24, 2010, a young lady in her 20s was almost abducted by gunpoint on the Ozark Greenway trail in the Battlefield and West Bypass area...."

001793a4dd5d744523092e3d1ef31ae4.JPG

Wow, that is creepy! I thought it was an alternative sketch of JS. The oval glasses rather than the rectangular ones is the most obvious difference. I wonder if JS wore oval frames in 2010 and if he buzzed his hair in late summer/early fall 2010.

Good point, I'm not sure when they got the footage from the Park - I just assumed it was after the fact.

I had assumed that going through the park would have been a logical way out but also realize that going north to get on I-90 would be the quickest way to get out of town. I did read where LE saw surveillance from within Cody's city limits showing that he did indeed drive THROUGH the town AFTER the assault.

The camera that caught his plate was at the north entrance of the park (don't know if it was the Cook City entrance or Gardner entrance) and it was captured on 10/7 but not viewed by FBI until 10/13. I assume this then means that he did NOT go out through the park on the night of 10/8 or that if he did, his plate wasn't visible. I would assume that some of the first surveillance footage they would have pulled would have been the east entrance footage for 10/8.

I am floored by that sketch-they need to show his pic to that victim/witnesses.

I was wondering about that as well. Something else that occurred to me today that I wasn't thinking of yesterday is that I imagine CPS will be talking to his children. I hope he didn't touch those kids or photograph and share the pics online. Life is barreling down on them and I feel for M and the children.

Mom may have had sole physical custody only, but shared decision-making power with father-joint legal custody. Obviously, he has had visitation rights.

I believe she is petitioning for sole custody now. Likely, no longer willing to share joint decision-making responsibilities with father, as well as to limit-perhaps, possibly end visitation until trial verdict reached.

I am floored by that sketch-they need to show his pic to that victim/witnesses.

I have a freaktastic memory for faces. I really wish I could figure out a job that would let me just try to identify faces because I can spot similarities in a sea of drawings/mugs with no effort at all.

Edited to add: on the flipside of that I'm horrible with names and forget them before the person even finishes telling me! lol

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader
Back