GUILTY Yoselyn Ortega charged with 2 counts ea-1st and 2nd Degree Murder of Krim Children

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
....and may I add that I do understand that if the Nanny was aggravated by the fact that she needed more money to live, if the K's had asked her to do more work hence for money... that flipped her out?

We really don't know at this point what really happened... but to harm innocent children is, well, unspeakable.

SK

Murder isn't logical and murdering children is definitely not logical. I guess there was some "logic" to what Andrea Yates did, considering she was hearing voices and was trying to protect the souls of her kids (she did it out of "love" not because she wanted them gone). That's truly mentally ill--not knowing her actions were wrong.

A psychiatrist or 2 will no doubt evaluate the nanny and that will be interesting to see what they say. I personally don't think an insanity defense will fly in this case. This is nothing like an Andrea Yates situation.

I do not see this anywhere like Andrea Yates either. Sounds like an envious person. Ortega has a tree brain, which is basically tunnel vision. Something that so consumes someone like Casey Anthony, Jerry Sandusky, Lori Drew, Scott Peterson, James Holmes, or Osama bin Laden.

Not one of those women tried to kill themselves in such a gruesome manner, or at all, during the commission of their crimes.

Betty Broderick did consider suicide after the crime, but never did.

Broderick Daughter Tells of Death Wish : Courts: Betty Broderick intended to commit suicide after shooting her ex-husband and his new wife, but her gun ran out of bullets, daughter testifies
http://articles.latimes.com/1991-10-22/local/me-233_1_daniel-broderick

I do not think Ortega planned on suicide. She only hurt herself to make it look like an intruder did the crime.

Betty Broderick did consider suicide after the crime, but never did.

Broderick Daughter Tells of Death Wish : Courts: Betty Broderick intended to commit suicide after shooting her ex-husband and his new wife, but her gun ran out of bullets, daughter testifies
http://articles.latimes.com/1991-10-22/local/me-233_1_daniel-broderick

I do not think Ortega planned on suicide. She only hurt herself to make it look like an intruder did the crime.

I agree that she did not want to commit suicide. She certainly knew how to kill herself after all she had just killed two children. Her wounds obviously not deadly. jmo

It was a different sister (Celia as opposed to Miladys)that said she snapped in the same breath that it was reported she was seeking professional help. So it would SEEM that the sister she lived with was the one that may have saids she was havig trouble. although there is not a direct quote in this article from People:
snip
"Over the last couple of months was not herself," family members told detectives, report

snip

Equally baffled are those closest to the nanny. "She snapped," her tearful sister, Celia Ortega, told the New York Post. "We don’t understand what happened to her mind."

Celia told the paper she would tell her sister, "I'd give you my life," if it would bring back Lucia and Leo.

"She was, according to others, seeking some professional help," chief police spokesperson Paul J. Browne said of Yoselyn Ortega, adding, "There were financial concerns."

"She lost a lot of weight. She looked very unhealthy. It looked like she was going through some problems," Ortega's neighbor, Ruben Diaz, 49, told the Post. "She had aged a lot – like seven years in a few months.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20642940,00.html

BBM

I kind of suspect drug use, based on the above plus her need for $$ yet she was working, etc. Maybe she had a drug problem? Meth or crack... hope I am wrong. So sick of seeing people in the news that killed because of drugs. JMO!!!!!!! smh

abbie

Had there been a greater amount of elapsed time before the paramedics got to her, she could have bled out from her wounds. Slit wrists plus neck is pretty serious.

BBM

I kind of suspect drug use, based on the above plus her need for $$ yet she was working, etc. Maybe she had a drug problem? Meth or crack... hope I am wrong. So sick of seeing people in the news that killed because of drugs. JMO!!!!!!! smh

abbie

Her tox screen (YO's) came back negative, IIRC. No detectable drug use.
Sorry no link.

With all due respect, I don't agree that all discussions of the nanny's possible motives as per her statements are merely based on class issues. I was looking at it from the standpoint of the employer-employee relationship. There's a long history of disgruntled employees retaliating in a violent manner against their employers. Those don't always include acts of violence against the employer's family but, in this case, taking care of the family was the very nature of her job. I don't think any of the posters here have tried to paint all domestic workers with a broad brush based upon the actions of this woman. I think we have just been trying to understand her motivations. In the case of the Chicago woman, I believe she stated that she acted out of anger at her husband.

In the case of YO, she may have started suffering from some mental health issues, but millions of people are mentally ill and never harm anyone or, at most, only harm themselves. I think most of us are just trying to understand what other factors may be at play here.

IMHO

BBM. Yes, that's fair. And true. I don't think everyone sees it as a class issue. The reason I made that connection, however, is that I have been seeing posts from the very beginning that immediately and easily assumed the nanny was seething with rage and jealousy and that motivated her. I now see posts that assume she just wanted to lie around all day and do nothing and savagely butchered two babies because she couldn't. How the heck can we jump to such conclusions unless we see people like this nanny as inherently jealous and usually hiding anger at what they don't have? Because gruesomely murdering two babies in one's care in such a manner (stabbing to death) is so unusual, so rare.

Again, let's look at other cases where employees are involved and/or children are involved:

1. Disgruntled employee killings - usually mass murders involving a gun. Targets are adults, mostly the employers or co-workers. Sometimes collateral clients. Sometimes they just involve the murder of the employer and no one else.
2. Children who are stabbed to death - overwhelmingly, it is by parents, romantic partners of parents, other relations, or someone who molested or tried to molest the child (exception would be stabbing deaths of children by other children).
3. Children killed by unrelated caretakers - usually beaten to death, sometimes smothered or scalded. Caretakers try to cover up the crime, cast blame elsewhere and almost never kill or try to kill themselves in the process.

Or, let's look at greed killings:
1. They involve monetary gain of some sort. Insurance policies, pending divorce, etc.

How about rage killings?
1. They involve suicide or suicide attempts usually only when the person against whom the rage is directed is related or was a romantic partner, perceived romantic partner or abuse victim of the perp.
2. In the case of rage against a child, they tend to involve beating or scalding the child to death.
3. In the case of rage against the parent being taken out on the child, they pretty much always involve a romantic partner or former romantic partner of the parent who is doing the killing.

This case fits none of those. Most cases fit a pattern. This case fits more with a psychotic episode. (Just google "psychotic episode stabbing" or "psychotic episode homicide"). Here's some facts:
The observation that almost half of the homicides committed by people with a psychotic illness occur before initial treatment suggests an increased risk of homicide during the first episode of psychosis. The aim of this study was to estimate the rates of homicide during the first episode of psychosis and after treatment. The rate ratio of homicide in the first episode of psychosis in these studies was 15.5 times the annual rate of homicide after treatment for psychosis. Hence, the rate of homicide in the first episode of psychosis appears to be higher than previously recognized, whereas the annual rate of homicide by patients with schizophrenia after treatment is lower than previous estimates.
(Snipped for space/copyright) http://schizophreniabulletin.oxfordjournals.org/content/36/4/702.full
Delusional disorder and psychotic (delusional) depression are more likely to have onset during middle age and old age than during early adulthood. Late-onset psychotic disorders may be fundamentally similar to their early-onset counterparts in the underlying neurobiologic predisposition. Certain specific protective factors may, however, prevent an earlier breakdown, whereas other aging-related precipitants may be responsible for the onset of symptoms during later life.
http://www.acnp.org/g4/GN401000138/CH135.html
Late-onset psychosis is much more prevalent in women than in men for reasons that are imperfectly understood. When you are evaluating a midlife woman with first onset of psychosis, don't assume an illness of unknown cause (bipolar disorder or schizophrenia) until after you have done a comprehensive search for triggers of her psychotic symptoms. After age 40, women are more likely than men to develop psychosis because of gender-specific medical and psychological precipitants.
Predisposing factors for psychosis
Psychosis is an emergent quality of structural and chemical changes in the brain. As such, it can be expected to surface during:
* brain reorganization or transition (adolescence, senescence, brain trauma, stroke, starvation, inflammation, or brain tumor)
* change in brain chemistry (flux in gonadal, thyroid, or adrenal hormone levels; electrolyte imbalance; fever; exposure to chemical substances; immune response).
Psychological stress impacting the brain via stress hormones also can predispose a person to psychosis.
Because some individuals are more prone than others to develop psychosis during brain alteration, chemical and structural changes in the brain are assumed to interact with genetic propensities to influence gene expression. Once a psychotic event has occurred, it is thought to sensitize the brain so that subsequent events emerge more readily. (1)
Schizophrenia--though not the only illness in which psychosis plays a role--is a prototype for psychotic illness, and several reported sex differences in this disorder are worth noting. The incidence of schizophrenia is approximately the same in both sexes, but women show a later age of onset--a paradox in that the brain develops at a faster pace in females and theoretically should reach the threshold for the first appearance of schizophrenia earlier.
The estrogen hypothesis. Women show a tendency toward premenstrual and postpartum exacerbation of symptoms when estrogen levels are relatively low.
http://business.highbeam.com/435938...en-consider-midlife-medical-and-psychological

This study shows that the chance of finding psychosis among female murderers (or homicide perps) is about 21% higher than among male murderers: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10683161003752311#preview

My issue is that in comparing this case to all the thousands of other homicides we study via websleuths, it fits more with cases of sudden, undiagnosed psychosis, rather than revenge, greed or rage killings. So the fact that many people readily and early on assumed that a woman who apparently got along well with her employers, who actually stayed with her family in her third world nation, killed the babies in her care out of a sense of rage, entitlement, or greed, when such cases look far different, a focus on class becomes apparent. Especially when I see posts stating, "It's always the have nots who complain", or posts discussing how wealthy the Krims are and how she must have been "jealous".

Finally, find me a case in the United States (or England, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or western Europe, as those most closely resemble the U.S. culturally, which matters when profiling) that involves a disgruntled employee killing the children of the employer, and not the employer him or herself. And if you do, then find one that does NOT involve an attempt to cover up the crime.

My issue is that in comparing this case to all the thousands of other homicides we study via websleuths, it fits more with cases of sudden, undiagnosed psychosis, rather than revenge, greed or rage killings. So the fact that many people readily and early on assumed that a woman who apparently got along well with her employers, who actually stayed with her family in her third world nation, killed the babies in her care out of a sense of rage, entitlement, or greed, when such cases look far different, a focus on class becomes apparent. Especially when I see posts stating, "It's always the have nots who complain", or posts discussing how wealthy the Krims are and how she must have been "jealous".

Finally, find me a case in the United States (or England, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or western Europe, as those most closely resemble the U.S. culturally, which matters when profiling) that involves a disgruntled employee killing the children of the employer, and not the employer him or herself. And if you do, then find one that does NOT involve an attempt to cover up the crime.

I don't know, it seems like cold blooded, calculated revenge to me. I think I'd go with the disgruntled employee/student who shows up to work with a gun and just takes out innocents even though they are angry at the teacher/boss they feel wronged them. The kids in this sense are just casualties of the rage and in her case, a more calculated method of hurting MK. She did not see them as "children". They were also her employers. Is possible she DID intend to kill MK and that changed for some reason.

JMO.

I don't know, it seems like cold blooded, calculated revenge to me. I think I'd go with the disgruntled employee/student who shows up to work with a gun and just takes out innocents even though they are angry at the teacher/boss they feel wronged them. The kids in this sense are just casualties of the rage and in her case, a more calculated method of hurting MK. She did not see them as "children". They were also her employers. Is possible she DID intend to kill MK and that changed for some reason.

JMO.
A disgruntled employee could also be one who is under tremendous stress due to low wages and long hours, in addition to other personal problems or health issues they may be experiencing. In this case, the employee feels powerless to change their circumstances, especially if the employee has attempted to convey this to the employer with no satisfactory resolution. News reports that I've read depict YO as someone who had been dissatisfied with her job for awhile.

A disgruntled employee could also be one who is under tremendous stress due to low wages and long hours, in addition to other personal problems or health issues they may be experiencing. In this case, the employee feels powerless to change their circumstances, especially if the employee has attempted to convey this to the employer with no satisfactory resolution. News reports that I've read depict YO as someone who had been dissatisfied with her job for awhile.

IMO the Krim's household was changing. The children were growing up and now going to school, Lulu 5 days per week all day and Nessie was now attending pre-school 5 mornings a week. Leo was no longer an infant and the Krims no longer needed so much nanny care.

Let's take for example a woman who specializes as a baby nurse, she knows that this position will be for a certain term. Likewise with someone who is a caretaker for an elderly person or a caretaker for someone who has had surgery. The same premise should be applied to a nanny.

Was this her first nanny job?

There's so much we don't know about her.

We don't know how much her salary was. For all we know, the Krims might have paid her very well.

We don't know how much her salary was. For all we know, the Krims might have paid her very well.

According to what she told everybody, they did pay her well. And treat her well.

I would imagine that the family would have a very private memorial in California, where all their family lives. I hope they can keep it private.

Nice if the residents of the building in NYC also do something, on their own, to give them some closure....

When we lived in a similar pre war building ( West 87th street, had a courtyard, tile floored lobby, many actors lived there, opera singers, etc. ) we were only on a nodding acquaintance with our neighbors. I am sure that is true in most buildings in NYC, and other large cities.

I do not know how this family will move forward, and I would not blame them for wanting to leave NYC forever, to try and put this behind them.....

Memorial was in NY – Amazing, beautiful and very very sad. = thousands of people.

so that I don't get time out... And burn in hello.... For what I am thinking ...

:gasp:

:thud:

:devil:

ETA: This is regarding the nanny's family request of $$for legal fees...

I do not think they will raise very much, I do not imagine that many will support her, and that the caliber of people that will may not have more than an extra $5. to offer. JMO
IF THEY do raise any money it may be pity for her son. I still don’t think they can raise more than one weeks pay for a decent lawyer.

I think it will be interesting to find out why she left her last job (supposedly in the accounting field). Was she fired? Did she have a bad attitude?

Why didn't she continue her employment in the accounting field since supposedly she had a college degree in that field? Would her last employer not give her a good reference in this field?

I think we will find out eventually that her money management was her main problem, not her salary.

IMO the Krim's household was changing. The children were growing up and now going to school, Lulu 5 days per week all day and Nessie was now attending pre-school 5 mornings a week. Leo was no longer an infant and the Krims no longer needed so much nanny care.

Let's take for example a woman who specializes as a baby nurse, she knows that this position will be for a certain term. Likewise with someone who is a caretaker for an elderly person or a caretaker for someone who has had surgery. The same premise should be applied to a nanny.

This is a very good point and might explain why they were introducing her to other families who needed a nanny.

<modsnip>

Kudos! I am glad my report (and others) had a positive result for this story.

:twocents:

i saw the page... i wonder if it's even legit... could be some bored person with no relation to YO...

(would her family be so callous to actually do this? and so soon?)
I do not believe it would be legit.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Puddy
Back