Zahra Baker's Biological Mother

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't see how posts bashing ED belong on a thread about what support is available for her. If you want to bash her, please do it elsewhere. It takes away from the purpose of the thread and those WS'ers whose hearts are spilling out to this mother. :twocents:

She's surrounded by people. A crew. This is a big story in OZ so she'll have an outpouring of support there as well.

I'm envisioning her writing a book.

Emily is the ONLY family member that has shown real love and emotion for Zahra. Her heart is clearly broken into a million pieces. The what if's make no difference anymore. We are stuck with what is. My heart is with Emily as she tries to process how close she was to finding Zahra, only to have her taken away again.

IMO the fact that there are and will be folks who question ED's motives and choices in this time, is an indication that she has done the right thing by traveling and apparently giving exclusive access to the Australian media group. All I have seen from this Oviedo reporter and his team thus far indicates to me that they are sensitive in their coverage of what she is experiencing. If they are able to wrap her in some kind of protection and give her the comfort of something as simple as talking to folks with similar accents to hers, good for them and good for her. :cow:

I dont question her motives at all. I am heartbroken over Zahra's treatment,and her death.

I reflected over the feeling I had after my first daughters birth after seeing Zahra's mother hold her in her newborn photo. The love you feel as you make your promise to do the best you can for them and to love them. The tears that well up in your eyes just from looking at them.
I then reflected over the pain of my divorce and the issues that transpired with that with a brief change of custody and the guilt I had over those issues. The pain of not being there and having it all out of my hands was awful.

At this point I could not make any comparisons.
I do believe she looked for Zahra on the interenet. I believe she thought about Zahra everyday. I believe we cannot even imagine the pain she has gone though and will go though. Maybe she was not strong every single day Zahra was not in her life . Who is strong every single day?
I do believe Zahra dreamed of her mother and wished she could hug her and meet her. Any child would. Kids dont hate and no matter what AB told Zahra about her mother Zahra still dreamed.

Emily, I am praying for you that God gives you the strength and courage to get through this day and all the days to follow.

Emily,

I am sending you warm beams of healing light! Know that the collective are holding and keeping you in their hearts. Zahra is a beacon of light to shine on those children who are currently suffering. She will be the one who helps caring neighbors, friends, educators and Child Protective Services find other children before it is too late. Everyone who has heard of Zahra will be forever changed to "speak up" when they believe a child is being abused or neglected, and keep speaking up.

I believe Zahra will live on in all of us. Thank you for sharing your story with all of us, and know that there are many of us who do not fault you in any way. I believe you did the very best you could, with what you had - at the moment, to ensure Zahra was safe and well cared for. Zahra appears to be very well cared for while in Oz, and that is confirmation that your choices were right to put your baby girl first. The ultimate sacrifice - to hand over your own child to ensure they are safe and well cared for. I honor you for that!

I am just beyond words. The pain, anguish, sadness and anger we all feel must be multiplied a million times over for Emily.That video is so heartbreaking and full of emotion.

I have no doubt that Emily will use good judgment here while in the USA, so far she has shown a level of "education" that surpasses all other members of Zahras family.
I dont think she will let this crazy media around her, she has shown that this is a very private matter for her, I havent seen her attack anyone like whats been done to her already,
When all is said and done I believe ED will be able to sleep well , this attacking her has got to stop, she was literally robbed from being a Mum to her precious daughter.
She is a victim!

BBM Amen to that. The important thing to focus on is who is responsible for Zahra's death and making them pay for it!

I just found this thread and am copying my post from the "Breaking News" thread:

So Emily is here. Welcome to the USA, Emily, and I am so sorry that your visit is under these extremely tragic circumstances. Zahra and her story have obviously had a huge impact on so many people who never got to know her. My heart breaks for you and Zahra.

I read on another site that several Hickory locals offered to let Emily stay with them when she comes, and I sure hope that she took the offers, even if "just" to have contacts in the area for support (and transportation). Maybe she didn't travel alone, but if it were me, I would certainly appreciate the support. It's an expensive trip and I have no doubt that someone or some group(s) pitched in to help with her expenses.

I see now that there has been discussion here about local and other support, and I agree with those who approve of Emily getting all the support she needs. She has lost her daughter after being kept away from her for years.

I am thankful that ED has some persons with her who can help provide the proper interviews (IF she gives any) The very first interview from OZ the reporter there seemed to take a little issue with either JVL or NG on a few of the questions they had for him.

I am thinking that the media with her is to protect her. I honestly think that. ED seems frail and perhaps the media in OZ is more caring towards victems than some of those in the United States.

I also noticed at the press conference.. AB was no where around. Normally when they announce conformation of remains the family is there at times also. I guess it depends on how strong the family is. IF AB was not quilty or suspected why would of his attorney not had a place for him at the stand also to show his "grief" apparently because he is the main suspect along with EB.

I hope Zahra's teachers reach out to Emily and share stories of the little girl they knew in their classroom - a safe, fun, happy, normal place. Since she has been searching for so long, she probably doesn't really *know* that much of the 10-yr-old Zahra, just the toddler Zahra...

ETA: It would be good for her to hear something about Zahra besides the abuse/torture/murder. :(

Now, I've been quite reluctant to post my thoughts about Emily here because I'm not 100% sure.

Some time ago I was a member of an Australian parenting forum. When I first read about Emily's story - i.e. her PND, AB taking off with Zahra to another country, her search for her etc., it was vaguely familiar. I just couldn't flick the feeling that I had read the story on this particular forum. I've gone back to the forum to try and search for the post, not to copy and paste here but to confirm my memory of this very familiar story. I couldn't find anything unfortunately.

I still can't shake the feeling that this particular member was Emily. That being said, there are probably many more cases like hers so I can't assume.

I just wanted to share this because I honestly feel Emily is honest and her story is true about her concerns for her daughter and her search.

IMO I honestly don't think that if Emily had the choice, she'd choose to grieve in front of a camera/news crew. No one would want the worst days of their lives videotaped.

I wish I had airline miles and the cash to allow her privacy to mourn in peace. That's the dignity every one deserves when they loose a loved one.

<modsnip>

I suspect that ED is much more frail than she lets on. I have panic attacks and there is very little chance I could talk in front of a camera for an interview.. to do a news conference to bring my baby back i would deffinanly find the courage in a heatbeat. I am thinking that NG would be ALL OVER the finding of the remains.. however she had a fill in .. wonder why.. makes perfect sence on my above theory of why.. and good decision on her OZ team.. protect the victem .. ED

For all intents and purpose it helps to view ZB's biological mother in the same mind frame as if she had placed her daughter for adoption. Although we have indications now that she was searching for her, we have no indication that she officially every sought to recover her. As a parent who placed a child for adoption, I am not being unfairly harsh or slandering her with this statement. It appears that she for whatever reason walked out of Zahra's life at birth and believed that Zahra was in better care with her father, because of her medical issues (depression).

Although she must now have serious regret about her choices, I find the sympathy and assumptions that she was greatly wrong a bit over done.

I have reconnected with the child I placed for adoption. Make no mistake, the victory of her his accomplishments and the sorrow over his difficulties belong to him and the parents that raised him when I chose not to. I googled him often, tried to assure myself he was safe and growing, but I did not contact him because I had no right to, I gave up that right when I walked away. And in my humble opinion that seems to be what happened here, and unfortunate or not it has no bearing on the tragedy that unfolded. In fact any bearing it does have is that some measure of credit should be given to AB for staying stepped up to the plate in a situation many young men would have not risen to. This does not negate any bad choices he mad later.

With all due respect I disagree, ED allowed custody because of her own mental turmoil after giving birth, she had visitation rights though. After 2 years he up and moved with no forwarding information and then the courts tracked him down. She wanted to be a part of Zahra's life but was prevented by AB who subsequently moved every time ED found him but she did persist. He left Australia after having given misleading information to obtain a passport for Zahra, without the knowledge and permission of ED. She continued to look in Australia for her daughter while AB's mom aided in the cover up. ED found the whereabouts of her daughter 3 days before she was reported missing but by then it was too late. I give some credit to AB's mom but none to AB he never stepped up to any plate, in fact his failure is the reason Zahra is no longer with us. JMO

<<<snipped transcript for ED's information>>>>>>

CASAREZ: North Carolina authorities reporting tonight through their tears that Zahra Baker is dead. Remains that were found on Wednesday confirmed by a medical examiner to be that of a small child they believe are those of 10-year-old Zahra Baker.

I want to go out to senior reporter for 7 Network Australia, Robert Ovadia, who is in North Carolina tonight, joining us from Hickory, there with Zahra`s biological mother. You know, Robert, I thought a lot about this, and in our country, there are so many mothers and so many fathers that lose their children from one -- the spouse kidnapping them and taking them, and they cannot find them, even if they go to law enforcement. I do not judge Emily Dietrich at all. I see the emotion. I see it in her heart.

When was the last time that she ever saw Zahra?

OVADIA: From my understanding, it was about eight years ago, Jean, which is a very, very long time. This started when Emily had post-partum depression. She passed Zahra on to Adam Baker when Zahra was about 9 months old. He hung around for a couple months, then one day he just took off. Emily turned up to see her daughter, and there was nothing there. The entire house was bare.

It`s taken her a good year or so, from my understanding, to then track him down and track Zahra down again. She was granted the right to see him, as had been decreed by the court. But then not long after that, he took off again. This happened over the space of a number of years. And she first realized that Zahra had been taken out of the country and to the United States only three days before she was reported missing, Jean.

CASAREZ: And what is next for Emily Dietrich? Is she going to be staying in North Carolina? What will she be doing?

OVADIA: Yes. Her initial intention was to wait for the DNA swabs to come back positive. I think that has all but happened now, and that that reality that this is Zahra has definitely sunk in, or is certainly sinking in with her.

There is a candlelight vigil for Zahra that is planned for Tuesday night. Emily tells me she doesn`t know whether she`s going to go to that, probably not. But this entire process is overwhelming for her. This is not just...
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1011/12/ng.01.html

She seems like a lovely young woman. My heart breaks for her. It's very obvious she loved her daughter.

I don't think anyone can know how painful this can be, it must be dreadful, knowing your little girl is gone from this plane, and feeling you were so close to seeing her again.

Things happen between parents...misunderstandings with custody, etc. It sounds as though Emily had very little control over where Zahra was taken, and she did all she could to try to regain contact.

I wish I could give her a hug and tell her how sorry I am. I'm sure it's so hard to deal with all the 'what ifs' and wondering what could be.

I wish Emily comfort and prayers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8
Back