Zodiac Killer

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Can DNA identify the Zodiac Killer now that it has revealed the East Area Rapist suspect?

BY ANITA CHABRIA AND RYAN SABALOW

May 01, 2018
Updated 11 hours 18 minutes ago

"DNA sleuthing helped crack a decades-old cold case,*leading to the arrest*of a man suspected of being the East Area Rapist, also known as the*Golden State Killer.

Now could the same type of detective work on genealogy websites be used to catch another of California's most infamous and elusive criminals —*the Zodiac Killer?

"It is possible," said Pam Hofsass, a former San Francisco homicide detective who worked on the Zodiac case and now runs the forensic lab for the Contra Costa County Sheriff's Office. "It's totally worth looking at, and I hope with all of the news and revelations about the Golden State Killer that it will kind of be the impetus for the Zodiac."

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article210156874.html

Sacramento county has a plethora of sins to cover for- hence the 'rush' to prove GSK's dna connection VERY recently.

I can state for a fact Solano county is no less dirty; they are simply following the lead left by their cohorts in *****.

When the dust has settled, you are sure to find multiple reasons why neither would want to expose those connections to criminals in their own ranks except under pressing duress.

There was some synergy in the case around the movie . " the most dangerous game" . There was a small local theater in San Fran and the owner or manager? not sure I remember correctly , I believe he was a suspect, and I believe he played this movie as it had a cult following..please feel free to correct or add to this, as I remember it this way and there was some reference to this guy in the Movie, but lots more information about this elusive oddball who was a suspect for awhile.

I'm hoping that the news of the new method of DNA searching will bring forth results in this case and many more. Technology has advanced so much in this field of DNA and with results, more cases will be submitted.

Some people think Z morphed into EAR. As there is now a suspect for VR/EAR/ONS , (JJD)- do posters think this is possible? What blood type has been identified from the DNA of Z, and which crimes (if any) had any DNA at the scenes?

Testing the stamps and envelope flaps on the letters for DNA is fine, but how is it determined that the killer really sent those letters?

Some people think Z morphed into EAR. As there is now a suspect for VR/EAR/ONS , (JJD)- do posters think this is possible? What blood type has been identified from the DNA of Z, and which crimes (if any) had any DNA at the scenes?

Testing the stamps and envelope flaps on the letters for DNA is fine, but how is it determined that the killer really sent those letters?

How does a perp evolve from violent crimes of opportunity seeking recognition, to meticulous stalking victim in homes & obsessive hiding from society? These killers feel diametrically opposite in both motive, and methods.

They both hated mainstream 'popular/successful' (coupled) women and the cultures which they lived within- there the killers' approach begins to devolve as how to victimize their targets (Z= social symbolism, VR/EARS/ONS/GSK= personal angst release).

Little is allowed about Z's dna or personal effects at crime scenes; doubtless more was there than ever collected :( Wiping down the cabbie's vehicle ought to have left fibers, high chance a personal item with again, personal traces of dna.
Asking others to lick envelopes is nearly a paraphilia in itself- mixed results could eventually lead to others with recollections of an individual whom had such a habit... someone whose personality and proclivities fit like a missing puzzle piece into this strange story.

I find this very exciting and must admit that my first thought when hearing about this was could this happen with Zodiac?

Zodiac was also the boogey man of my childhood, although I grew up in Southern CA., my geography wasn't great back then. He was in CA and I have never forgotten seeing the drawing of him in full Zodiac costume after the Hartnel/Sheppard attack.

As far as having someone lick the stamps for him, I cannot imagine what he logic would have been to do that in the 60's ad 70's when he was sending his letters?

It is my belief that, based on the age descriptions from witnesses (although they varied greatly), that he is likely dead. However, finding a familial connection would certainly narrow the suspect pool.

I have also never really believed Zodiac to have been any of the identified and common suspects. I have always thought he was a BTK type that probably kept souvenirs and perhaps even additional correspondence that is family elected to destroy. upon his death. Possibly never having realized who he really was.
One has to assume that had the family of BTK had a choice they would never have come forward if he had died before being caught.

The case still fascinates me. .

The Zodiac Killer fascinates me in every aspect of this case (as much as I know and how much I want to learn and educate myself about the several deaths) I agree with chlban though, if there were suspects now, if it was ONE person* that person would most likely be dead by now. However, there is a possibility that the killer could be alive, just very elderly and probably in a nursing home somewhere..who knows... but the fact that they/he/she/it got away with these slayings is absolutely mind blowing how articulate and just OCD to detail to NEVER be caught. This is a new case for me and I am just beginning to research and learn, of course I know the basics of the Zodiac Killer but its so crazy how someone can go this long without being identified. Was/Is there anyone they had suspected the killer to be, one article I had come across mentioned that the believed the Zodiac was multiple different people.

Arthur Allen Leigh was Robert Graysmith's suspect as portrayed in the movie, and he is a popular suspect. I don't think it was him. Ross Sullivan is another favorite. There are arguments for most of the suspects but, IMO, the idea of it being two or more people is pretty absurd. There are two survivors of the shootings, and witnesses in the Stine killing that saw a man wiping down the cab after to murder and none of them mentioned a second person. Additionally, it seems almost certain that the police did, in fact, speak to the Zodiac the night of the Stine murder. However, since the description put out by the dispatcher was somehow messed up, they were looking for an African American man, so they only called to the Zoidac from their car.

I do think it is possible that a couple of the later letters were not from the actual Zodiac, but that is as far as I would take that theory and I am not certain about that.

Out of curiosity - I understand you don't believe there were two or more Zodiac killers, but think about this for a moment. Do you think it was possible that the Zodiac was himself/herself had followers and protege? I know that the Zodiac must be dead by now, but do you think there are people out there that want to follow in the Zodiac's footsteps or even worse, had learned how and what the Zodiac did that has been passed down generation to generation. Let's put it this way, if any of the men mentioned above had children, cousins, brothers or sisters, do you think the wouldn't tell the Zodiac's story to their offspring? (if these people knew who the Zodiac was of course, not just speculation) I feel like there is someone, somewhere, who knows who the real Zodiac was/is.

Out of curiosity - I understand you don't believe there were two or more Zodiac killers, but think about this for a moment. Do you think it was possible that the Zodiac was himself/herself had followers and protege? I know that the Zodiac must be dead by now, but do you think there are people out there that want to follow in the Zodiac's footsteps or even worse, had learned how and what the Zodiac did that has been passed down generation to generation. Let's put it this way, if any of the men mentioned above had children, cousins, brothers or sisters, do you think the wouldn't tell the Zodiac's story to their offspring? (if these people knew who the Zodiac was of course, not just speculation) I feel like there is someone, somewhere, who knows who the real Zodiac was/is.

I think it is entirely possible that the Zodiac left something behind to tie him to the murders. Since no one has ever come forward with credible evidence that their family member was Zodiac, at least in my opinion there are no credible claims,
then I think it is very possible that the family member or members did not want it known that their husband/father/brother/whatever was a serial killer.

Although something like that would certainly buy you 15 minutes of fame, it is also a pretty horrible association.

I do not think anyone is following in his footsteps. But yes, I think it is entirely possible that a family member knows who he was.

This New Show Thinks It Can Finally Figure Out Who The Zodiac Killer Is

This guy looks a lot like the zodiac killer and he went to the same collage where the first victim was killed

His surviving family has no want to look further into the rumors. The only thing that Ross has in common with the Zodiac is he sort of looks like the sketch and lived in California. I’m heading from the desert to Napa next weekend for a quick trip. So the assertion that Ross could be Zodiac, when he had no priors for violence/rape/robbery, really is far fetched. The college where CJB was killed is in Riverside near major highway - CJBs killer could have simply been in the area for the day. There was construction going on around the time she was killed. I’ve always wondered if her murderer had any involvement in that - being a construction worker. But I’m
Not sure the person who sent letters about murderong CJB actually did murder her. They didn’t provide any specific information to prove they were there the day she died - no evidence. Just taunts. Perhaps Zodiac wrote the letter after reading about CJB in the news - just to be cruel. I live near the college and spent some time touring around it to get an idea of the setting of CJBs murder. Much has changed, but many of the alumni building remain. I’ll say one thing: the auto shop building creeped me out for some reason. I got an eerie feeling when looking at it on campus. It’s kind of down an embankment set away from everything. I don’t know why it made me creeped out. It just did.

And you know I went to the library and tried to check on who all had checked out The Mikado. The same book had been used in the library since the 60’s, when CJB was killed. I wondered IF the zodiac ever stopped by to read it or leave a clue in it. I didn’t find anything, but hey who knows.

IMO, what a stretch...
Not so fast !!

The guy confessed it to a journalist : Il killer Zodiac mi ha confessato: «Sono io il mostro di Firenze» - IlGiornale.it
(in Italian)

Actually, the link between both started after this confession.
It was not made out of thin air, but because of this specific confession. I should have made it clearer right off the bat.

The Italian authorities deem it such a credible lead that it's currently under investigation.
Now, we can't do anything beyond waiting.
ETA : link Zodiac-Mostro, le mosse di Procura e Ros - IlGiornale.it

I wish I found anything in English ! Unfortunately, everything available is in Italian.

I'd like to contact the journalist who wrote the article, as I speak enough Italian to do so.
But I'm not sure it would be such a good idea. Your opinion ?

Mystery of Joseph Newton Chandler III's true identity to be revealed (with clip)
For years, the internet has theorized Chandler's real identity -- everything from a Nazi war criminal to the Zodiac Killer.

"ASTLAKE, Ohio -- He's been a man of mystery for decades, but we'll soon find out his true identity.

Who is Joseph Newton Chandler III and why did he steal the identity of a 9-year-old boy?

U.S. Marshals and Eastlake police have cracked the case. They say they'll announce the man's true identity during a news conference Thursday at 1 p.m. WKYC will stream the announcement live here and on our Facebook page.

The man had been living as Joseph Newton Chandler III until his death in 2002. He died by suicide in his Eastlake apartment at age 65, leading investigators to discover he'd stolen the identity of a 9-year-old killed in a Texas car crash.

"You don't just assume the identity of a deceased 9-year-old boy and live that life throughout your lifetime. He was running from something," U.S. Marshal Pete Elliot told WKYC in 2015. "I can't say what that thing was he was running from, but I would suspect, based on my experiences, it's something that was pretty bad in the past."

In 1978, the mystery man used the real Joseph Chandler's personal information to obtain a Social Security card in Rapid City, South Dakota. Not long after, he moved to Ohio and began working at Lubrizol.

Theories on Chandler's true identity have circulated the internet for years, the most popular being his likeness to sketches of the infamous Zodiac Killer who terrorized Northern California in the 1960s and 1970s...."

Mystery of Joseph Newton Chandler III's true identity to be revealed

zodiac1.jpg

joseph_zodiac.JPG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mystery of Joseph Newton Chandler III's true identity to be revealed (with clip)
For years, the internet has theorized Chandler's real identity -- everything from a Nazi war criminal to the Zodiac Killer.

"ASTLAKE, Ohio -- He's been a man of mystery for decades, but we'll soon find out his true identity.

Who is Joseph Newton Chandler III and why did he steal the identity of a 9-year-old boy?

U.S. Marshals and Eastlake police have cracked the case. They say they'll announce the man's true identity during a news conference Thursday at 1 p.m. WKYC will stream the announcement live here and on our Facebook page.

The man had been living as Joseph Newton Chandler III until his death in 2002. He died by suicide in his Eastlake apartment at age 65, leading investigators to discover he'd stolen the identity of a 9-year-old killed in a Texas car crash.

"You don't just assume the identity of a deceased 9-year-old boy and live that life throughout your lifetime. He was running from something," U.S. Marshal Pete Elliot told WKYC in 2015. "I can't say what that thing was he was running from, but I would suspect, based on my experiences, it's something that was pretty bad in the past."

In 1978, the mystery man used the real Joseph Chandler's personal information to obtain a Social Security card in Rapid City, South Dakota. Not long after, he moved to Ohio and began working at Lubrizol.

Theories on Chandler's true identity have circulated the internet for years, the most popular being his likeness to sketches of the infamous Zodiac Killer who terrorized Northern California in the 1960s and 1970s...."

Mystery of Joseph Newton Chandler III's true identity to be revealed

zodiac1.jpg

joseph_zodiac.JPG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is going to be very interesting thank you for posting.

“U.S. Marshal Peter Elliott and a team of researchers have spent years investigating one of Northeast Ohio's most complex cold cases. They sought to find out how and why an Eastlake man assumed the name and personal information of an 8-year-old boy who died in a car accident in 1945. On Thursday, Elliott announced that Robert Nichols, formerly of Indiana, stole the boy's identity and moved to Northeast Ohio in 1978.

Elliott said he believes Nichols was a fugitive, seeking to hide from a criminal past. The photo is taken from his last driver's license in 1999. He committed suicide in 2002. (Eastlake Police Department)

Authorities solve cold case of war hero who hid behind dead boy's identity

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyShakes
Back