FL FL - Brooksville, WhtFem UP6043, 30-45, in woods west of I-75, Jul'72

There are no measurements other than a reference to it being a "single" size. Also no color photos of it, but described as; light brown background and lime green and light yellow floral design. So I will see about doing something in color, perhaps in Photoshop. If anyone wants to attempt it, let me know, if no takers, I can work on it this week. Thanks

oh, just one corner was rounded off. So not sure if someone did that, altered it, or it came that way.

Okay, Single.

Only one rounded corner??? Was there another corner torn, missing,frayed?

Marketed specifically for for a bunk bed or dorm? Private school with boarding students???

( more likely a yard sale, I know, but hope lives on )

Sounds like LE did not keep this blanket.

Ms. Jacobean, we're working on this!

:seeya:, Laughing

Okay, Single.

Only one rounded corner??? Was there another corner torn, missing,frayed?

Marketed specifically for for a bunk bed or dorm? Private school with boarding students???

( more likely a yard sale, I know, but hope lives on )

Sounds like LE did not keep this blanket.

Ms. Jacobean, we're working on this!

:seeya:, Laughing

Well from 1972 I am happy to have pictures, LOL. It has 3 square corners and one rounded. Did anyone make bedspreads for bunk beds like that? Retail, I mean. Thank you for checking the prints out on sites, saves us some time. I will trying calling around too. Thank you again.

I am leaning towards the Jacobean Fabric as well, check out these fabrics.
https://www.interiormall.com/D-4494-Jacobean-Fabrics

I emailed Gwenyth Tapestry to see if they could identify the pattern, will let you know if they respond.

I got an email back from these folks and they are going to do some research to help find the fabric and who made it. She did note that she felt it was a motel spread. So I passed it on to the Detective.

FWIW, it's looks old motel, Jacobean, 70s mix of colors, possibly a single/full bed, thin.

this pattern "Pineapple Damask" reminds me of the pattern on the spread. I email a college out in CA and asked if anyone could help with our search. I found a paper on line written just this past year on the Jacobean fabric. So it can't hurt to ask.

$_35.jpg

Interesting! This listing speaks of a bedspread with one rounded corner as being "the drop of the spread." I will see if I can find out what that means !

http://www.terapeak.com/worth/scg-v...roses-chenille-bedspread-fabric/281061478309/

Also found specific mattresses with one rounded corner to be known as a "corner bed" I have not found out if this was a household norm back then or possibly more of something a hotel would use. There was a bit of info about a "short queen" corner bed for use in an RV. They probably made short singles as well. I will update if I find out anything else later this afternoon. I am leaning toward hotel with some others because of the print, weight, and construction (first impression from the picture)

Wow, what a great find. I have wondered about this corner for months. I thought it was altered but now I see it could be made that way. That would narrow down the search when we ID the fabric or spread.

Thank you

Wow, what a great find. I have wondered about this corner for months. I thought it was altered but now I see it could be made that way. That would narrow down the search when we ID the fabric or spread.

Thank you

Thank you

Glad to help! I love fabric and usually find time to help in cases I know a little something about. :)

The pattern is a damask, I believe which would put the "bulb" at the bottom and the three floral blooms at the top. If I am reading the picture correctly when they are holding it up, that would put the rounded corner in the upper right. (I think)

Moo

I tried looking up "one rounded corner" on bedspreads, but no luck. I believe the term "drop of the spread" refers to the length or drop to the floor measurement, but not 100%. But that one corner, leads me to believe it may have been custom made for a motel or hotel at one time. So maybe a larger chain, like Holiday Inns. I also don't know what was around in 1972 in the Bay area. So that is another place to research.

I tried looking up "one rounded corner" on bedspreads, but no luck. I believe the term "drop of the spread" refers to the length or drop to the floor measurement, but not 100%. But that one corner, leads me to believe it may have been custom made for a motel or hotel at one time. So maybe a larger chain, like Holiday Inns. I also don't know what was around in 1972 in the Bay area. So that is another place to research.

I have to go to work, but will do some more searching later today. One thought before I go is that there is a Holiday inn AND a Hampton inn ANd a Days Inn right near the intersection where she was found. Maybe we can research if any of those were in existence in 1972 and work out from there. Glad to be on board with you guys!

This is interesting...

In 1972 a horror movie called “Deathdream” was filmed in downtown Brooksville. Those who never have seen it, much less heard of it, will get a chance Friday, Oct. 17, when it will be shown in an outdoor setting on Main Street as part of the city’s 2014 Founder’s Week events.

Bob Martinez, publisher of “Old Brooksville in Photos and Stories” magazine, recalls when the actors and film crew arrived in Hernando County to shoot the film.

“My parents owned the local motel and that’s where they all stayed,” he says. “We were booked solid for three months.”

Martinez said he knows the movie well. He has a copy of it at home and likes to watch it occasionally. He says he is on his fourth copy now because he loans them out to folks.

“I was hired as an extra in the film,” he says. “I played an ambulance driver in one scene and in another, I helped bring out a dead body on a stretcher.”

“But that’s all I’m going to tell you because I don’t want to spoil the plot,” he says.

~~

Martinez says he published a volume of “Old Brooksville in Photos and Stories” in December 2003 that tells about the making of the movie. “I took lots of photos, too, and they are all in the magazine,” Martinez says.

http://hernandotoday.com/1970s-movie-filmed-in-brooksville-to-be-screened-friday/

I got some feedback from a woman who designs custom made spreads and home items. She also felt it was a motel spread, but said mostly it was custom made with the one corner or they bought them and had it altered to suit the room. She thinks the rooms had 2 single beds and one had to be against the wall. So three corners tucked in and one dropped to the floor. So with that in mind, I am thinking maybe a smaller chain or independent owned motels. My sister said in the early 80's there were lots of cabins in and around Brooksville that served as motels too. So once I can get a fabric that looks enough like it or do some recreating of it, I can email some places and see if anyone remember it.

I got some feedback from a woman who designs custom made spreads and home items. She also felt it was a motel spread, but said mostly it was custom made with the one corner or they bought them and had it altered to suit the room. She thinks the rooms had 2 single beds and one had to be against the wall. So three corners tucked in and one dropped to the floor. So with that in mind, I am thinking maybe a smaller chain or independent owned motels. My sister said in the early 80's there were lots of cabins in and around Brooksville that served as motels too. S

kinda like that postcard of El Motel....

This blanket (we called them coverlets in the south back then) with it's one rounded corner reminds me of a single bed cover in a camper or motor home. My family rented a Winnebago for vacation around 70-72 and these 'one curved cornered coverlets' on the single beds are something I remember. Three corners were tucked in and the curved corner was turned back for bedtime.

Perhaps check out Airstreams and Winnebagos and other popular motor homes and campers from that era.

ETA...to clarify... I remember the curved corner being on the visible foot of the bed. The bed was against the wall.

It looks like a motel bed cover. My ex used to work for a company in Clearwater that made them. They had the white backs like that. Also in regards to the pineapple design, it makes me wonder if it came from a motel with Pineapple or tropical in the name.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal
Back