FL FL - Brooksville, WhtFem UP6043, 30-45, in woods west of I-75, Jul'72

This blanket (we called them coverlets in the south back then) with it's one rounded corner reminds me of a single bed cover in a camper or motor home. My family rented a Winnebago for vacation around 70-72 and these 'one curved cornered coverlets' on the single beds are something I remember. Three corners were tucked in and the curved corner was turned back for bedtime.

Perhaps check out Airstreams and Winnebagos and other popular motor homes and campers from that era.

ETA...to clarify... I remember the curved corner being on the visible foot of the bed. The bed was against the wall.

I checked out some sites for Airstreams and I see what you mean about the corner. The bed had to have a rounded corner so the door to the room would open easier. The bed took up the tiny area it was in. I think the spread was from a motel but was cut down to fit something like an Airstream mattress or a bed up against a wall.

It looks like a motel bed cover. My ex used to work for a company in Clearwater that made them. They had the white backs like that. Also in regards to the pineapple design, it makes me wonder if it came from a motel with Pineapple or tropical in the name.

Most of the woman I emailed that had a textile background or fabric history background, agreed that it was most likely from a motel, and the design was for southern states 60 -70's era. But I don't know how to trace that pattern of fabric to a company that made it into spreads for retail sales. I don't even know that if we find the fabric or the motel that had the spreads that it would help, because there are no records of stays from that far back. But you never know.

Most of the woman I emailed that had a textile background or fabric history background, agreed that it was most likely from a motel, and the design was for southern states 60 -70's era. But I don't know how to trace that pattern of fabric to a company that made it into spreads for retail sales. I don't even know that if we find the fabric or the motel that had the spreads that it would help, because there are no records of stays from that far back. But you never know.

I wish I could remember the name of the company that the ex worked for. It was in Safety Harbor. They where cheap bed covers and had the white backing on them. I'm guessing they where used for motels more than hotels.

Cases like this sadden me. That nobody knows who this lady is. Nobody mourned for her. It's like family ties were severed back in the 70's and nobody knows that she was murdered.

It's great that Citrus County is working on some of these older cases.

Cases like this sadden me. That nobody knows who this lady is. Nobody mourned for her. It's like family ties were severed back in the 70's and nobody knows that she was murdered.

It's great that Citrus County is working on some of these older cases.

This is a Hernando county case. They think she may have been traveling from AL or from north FL and ended up in Hernando. I have looked at missing photos from the late 50's to 72 and the only person that may fit is Ida Dean Richard Anderson, but she went miss 20 yrs earlier so it is a huge long shot. I don't think the DNA for our UID is back yet, or at least not in CODIS, but when it is, I want to see if Ida could be a match. Thanks for looking.

This is a Hernando county case. They think she may have been traveling from AL or from north FL and ended up in Hernando. I have looked at missing photos from the late 50's to 72 and the only person that may fit is Ida Dean Richard Anderson, but she went miss 20 yrs earlier so it is a huge long shot. I don't think the DNA for our UID is back yet, or at least not in CODIS, but when it is, I want to see if Ida could be a match. Thanks for looking.

Opps, sorry about the County mix-up. I could have sworn Citrus was involved in the recent article I read about the cold case committee reviews and which cases they recently submitted. I'm local and get my County-line stories confused from time-to-time, lol.

It's fascinating to me when cases this old can get solved. Like the one last year from around here where a teenaged girl was a Jane-Doe from 40 years ago. Her Brothers perseverance finally paid off and he found out what happened to his Sister.

I went all the way back to 1949 to see if any of the child missing cases would fit our UID lady, but no luck. Even with the reconstruction of the face with the bust, I don't see anyone that would fit her bone structure or features. I am beginning to think, she was not missed for one reason or another. My guess is she was homeless, maybe even a past mental patient with no one looking after her. I know in the 70's lots of people with bi-polar or other problems, like substance abuse would be released but not checked up on and many times they ended up in the streets, without anyone looking after them.

A new article on this case...

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/crime-law/cold-case-police-look-to-id-woman-found-in-brooksv/nsCjb/

Cold case: Police look to ID woman found in Brooksville in ’70s

BROOKSVILLE — The Hernando County Sheriff’s Office is looking to identify the body of a woman found wrapped in a bedspread in Brooksville more than 40 years ago.

The woman was found in July 1972 on State Road 50 in Brooksville, about an hour north of Tampa. Detectives say she likely had recently traveled from Alabama or north Florida.

I believe her DNA is now in CODIS, so we are hoping for a hit, maybe even familiar to ID her.

She is noted to have been coming from AL or North FL down, but she could have been living in Tampa too. Or even farther south. I am just surprised that no one is looking for her. Hoping that the DNA will get a hit one day.

ooh good find ctaylor!

there is also a bit more info on the bed spread in the link

She was wrapped in a “Pineapple Damask” print bedspread, according to detectives. It had three square corners and one round corner.
attachment.php
this is the picture they provided.

I will include the originals also
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

This looks like something that might be found in a hotel/motel, IMHO

yay Skully nice recreation of the bedspread!!.. how did you find out the colors of the original one?

if she had been coming down from North Florida... I wonder if she had anything to do with the John Doe that was found in the pond in May of 1972? I wonder if she lived at the motel the bedspread was taken from. I wonder if there where low income motels that people lived out of in that area or the areas around there in Florida.

She is noted to have been coming from AL or North FL down, but she could have been living in Tampa too. Or even farther south. I am just surprised that no one is looking for her. Hoping that the DNA will get a hit one day.

yay Skully nice recreation of the bedspread!!.. how did you find out the colors of the original one?

if she had been coming down from North Florida... I wonder if she had anything to do with the John Doe that was found in the pond in May of 1972? I wonder if she lived at the motel the bedspread was taken from. I wonder if there where low income motels that people lived out of in that area or the areas around there in Florida.

I work with the detective in charge of cold cases in HCSO. I am helping with investigating and getting all the cold cases scanned and storing data. So I have a good art background and when I saw her case, and the only photos were black and white, I recreated it in water color and then photo shopped it to make the repeat pattern.

I am pretty sure that the John Doe and her are not connected. But you never know, right? The spread most likely came from a motel, and I know back in the day they checked many of them. But the corner looks altered, like someone cut it to make it fit a bed or camper of something of that sort. At least that is my thoughts on it.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ceishen637
Back