trial day 44: the defense continues its case in chief #132

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked AVL at first, I thought she was professional, direct, and competent. But the longer Juan is in action, the more I feel a dislike toward her. Today when she said, "Stalking implies fear," I felt like I was going to jump out of my skin. Some cases of stalking start as benign, seemingly nonthreatening contact, but escalate to violence. Is she saying victims shouldn't act until there's an escalation that causes them to fear for their safety? IMO, that's horrible advice to have floating around when you're supposed to be a champion for victims of DV. It's particularly baffling because if you step out of the Jodi Zone, she's had these behaviors for a long time and it did escalate to the point of murder.

I can totally understand the stress she's under and I have felt Juan was a bit too aggressive here and there, but this is a woman who's a champion for abuse victims. I would expect that her experience with abusers and testifying in court as an expert, that she should be able to handle herself professionally and assertively. I don't feel like she's doing that. She's defensive, snarky, and is constantly looking for signals to help her from the DT. She does not want to give an inch here and an inch there because she knows Juan will eventually have a mile. I know it probably feels personal for her, but it's kind of what she signed up for. Direct is a cakewalk and cross is ten miles uphill both ways in a blizzard.

I get that she wants to focus on the BIG picture, but if those small elements that make up the big picture are one-sided, incomplete, or inaccurate, why doesn't she even pause for consideration? Even when Juan is telling her the hypothetical evidence he wants her to consider, she says she doesn't have evidence of that instead of thinking about how it effects her diagnosis. I just want to shake her and tell her it's okay to be wrong, that she's not the first one taken in by Jodi, but it's not okay to be stubborn when a person with a lifelong problem with lying, manipulating, and stalking with blood on his or her hands to go free and potentially re-offend.

And, lastly, I'm not sure if anyone else feels this way, but I have to get it out, I feel like her testimony is ironically sexist. It's as if she feels only men can be abusers, stalkers, and manipulators. Sure, Jodi did do things on the crazy stalker list, but she's a woman and there wasn't fear in Travis because he's a man and should know as a woman Jodi is inherently weaker and just has a hard time letting go. By minimizing behavior that should be a huge red flag, she's only hurting her cause. I wanted to see her empower women, but instead I feel like I should lock myself in a tower somewhere and wait for a white knight to rescue me when the coast is clear because I'm just too darn delicate.

Good post from last thread

WildAboutTrial @WildAboutTrial

Judge has the sizzle sound on while she is in sidebar in another case. I can almost taste my rare juicy hamburger for lunch today #JodiArias

Hot off the printer, Juan has more impeachment evidence in store today.

3.gif

Happy Wednesday Everyone,

Will only be able to watch the trial off and on today, boo-hoo, looking forward to all your posts to keep me up to the minute. tia.

I liked AVL at first, I thought she was professional, direct, and competent. But the longer Juan is in action, the more I feel a dislike toward her. Today when she said, "Stalking implies fear," I felt like I was going to jump out of my skin. Some cases of stalking start as benign, seemingly nonthreatening contact, but escalate to violence. Is she saying victims shouldn't act until there's an escalation that causes them to fear for their safety? IMO, that's horrible advice to have floating around when you're supposed to be a champion for victims of DV. It's particularly baffling because if you step out of the Jodi Zone, she's had these behaviors for a long time and it did escalate to the point of murder.

I can totally understand the stress she's under and I have felt Juan was a bit too aggressive here and there, but this is a woman who's a champion for abuse victims. I would expect that her experience with abusers and testifying in court as an expert, that she should be able to handle herself professionally and assertively. I don't feel like she's doing that. She's defensive, snarky, and is constantly looking for signals to help her from the DT. She does not want to give an inch here and an inch there because she knows Juan will eventually have a mile. I know it probably feels personal for her, but it's kind of what she signed up for. Direct is a cakewalk and cross is ten miles uphill both ways in a blizzard.

I get that she wants to focus on the BIG picture, but if those small elements that make up the big picture are one-sided, incomplete, or inaccurate, why doesn't she even pause for consideration? Even when Juan is telling her the hypothetical evidence he wants her to consider, she says she doesn't have evidence of that instead of thinking about how it effects her diagnosis. I just want to shake her and tell her it's okay to be wrong, that she's not the first one taken in by Jodi, but it's not okay to be stubborn when a person with a lifelong problem with lying, manipulating, and stalking with blood on his or her hands to go free and potentially re-offend.

And, lastly, I'm not sure if anyone else feels this way, but I have to get it out, I feel like her testimony is ironically sexist. It's as if she feels only men can be abusers, stalkers, and manipulators. Sure, Jodi did do things on the crazy stalker list, but she's a woman and there wasn't fear in Travis because he's a man and should know as a woman Jodi is inherently weaker and just has a hard time letting go. By minimizing behavior that should be a huge red flag, she's only hurting her cause. I wanted to see her empower women, but instead I feel like I should lock myself in a tower somewhere and wait for a white knight to rescue me when the coast is clear because I'm just too darn delicate.

While Martinez did use the word "afflicted" first, ALV was the one who compared the afflicted jealousy with the other form of jealousy. Martinez didn't give her two separate options as to what context to use it in, so in this situation ALV would need to explain what she meant between the two forms of jealousy, one being "afflicted". I personally think she was just trying to be difficult and not answer the question, because she herself didn't even know what her comparisons meant, if there is even a difference at all.

I am surprised she has never subconsciously objected to her own line of questioning. She does it so frequently when Juan is up its almost developed into a nervous tic. Objection irrelevant argumentative misstates testimony no foundation compound question....etc.

Welcome MissNoire, Osabung, and Zepp. Looking forward to more contributions!

:wagon:

:eek: I hope our power doesn't go out. It has gotten very dark with thunderstorms on tap this afternoon. I hope DH's laptop is fully-charged, just in case.

Wow! I love thunderstorms but do hate it when the power goes out - hope you have a back up!

I watch the trial on my laptop so back to my ipad I go so I can follow this thread.

WildAboutTrial Judge has the sizzle sound on while she is in sidebar in another case. I can almost taste my rare juicy hamburger for lunch today #JodiArias

Bringing this over from the last thread because I wanted to see what others think...

What I noticed by watching the tape of Travis talking about his robbery experience, with JA laying in lap (awkward much?), is two of the things he said while telling that story, she used in her story/murder.

1. He had a gun pointed to his temple when he was robbed. The same side that she shot him.

2. In his telling of the robbery story, he mentions that he wondered if he would be all tough against the attacker or if he would be all, "Please don't shoot me!! I have a wife and eight kids!" in a girly voice. When telling Det. Flores about the ninjas, JA said something along the lines of "he wasn't crying like a girl or anything".

I think she used parts of his story in her story. She listened and heard everything. Very very perceptive and these things stuck in her head. It's creepy.

Great observation, I totally agree.

OT but I am a new grandma today! The photo is terrible because she will not bring her babies near so I had to zoom and blow it up. In case you can't tell it's lambs. haha

kqc2h.jpg

Time to knock down a few morning Fog Cutters before the showdown begins..

Attachments

• fogcutter.jpg
    fogcutter.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 10
Hump day & H.O. in da house! :floorlaugh:

Good morning/afternoon all! Hopefully I wont yell and do the Wilmott stomp @ the comp too much today!

HO is here! Locked and loaded!! Verified Orgasm Expert!

That gives me an idea. I think that would be something extraodinary to put on one's resume. You know, where you usually put hobbies and interests...

I'll bet you would move up to the top of the pile. lol

Miss Behavin said:
As well as the "Well thought out threat to kill..."

Can't wait :)
"Torturing pets" - Prepare for admission of her interview with Det Flores where she said she kicked the dog and it ran away? It's funny she says in that interview she loves pets but her family were never good at keeping them. However on her first day on the stand with Nurmi, she talked about how her family had lots of pets. Haha!

I cannot imagine what the Alexander family thinks of the media coverage of this case, especially HLN.

April 21 to 27th will be National Victims' Rights Crime Week in case anyone wants to know.

From the previous thread

JRS_JD2L said:
:floorlaugh:

Or alternatively,

"I have many glasses, Mr. Martinez, that I have used throughout my evaluation. I didn't use just one pair. I think what you are trying to do is make me say that I used these particular glasses in coming to my opinion in this case, but I have used horned-rimmed ones, these Truman Capote style ones, as well as many others in my investigation. I just don't know what you're trying to get at, Mr. Martinez. Is this a hypothetical? If so, I go along with you. If you are asking whether or not I have the ones I have been using in trial, then sure,ok, I have them...oh, wait...can I go get them?"

That was hysterical! :D

OT but I am a new grandma today! The photo is terrible because she will not bring her babies near so I had to zoom and blow it up. In case you can't tell it's lambs. haha

kqc2h.jpg

Congrats, granny! Oh hey, that photo is not baaaaaad.
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member