Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious as to where you have heard "Investigators are stumped" used by news media.
I've seen it atleast half a dozen times. None by the local Iowa media, but a bunch of national outlets have run either that headline, or in the lead.

Jmo but it seems to me that all of their eggs are in this one basket, this search area...:(
They've been searching there without media knowing about it - so they may also be searching elsewhere, quietly. ?

Or, they have something solid and there is good reason to be where they are.

Maybe we'll know more in the morning....or not. I can totally understand why LE prefers to work without all the attention!

jmo

This article is worded in a way that makes it sound like they couldn’t just “walk” out of the woods in the daylight. Maybe they were carrying something and immediately transferred it to van so nobody could get a glimpse?

”POWESHIEK COUNTY (KWWL) -

UPDATE: Investigators returned nearly two hours after they entered a wooded area of Poweshiek County. They did not walk out of the woods from where they entered, instead they returned in a white van before leaving the area for the night.

There was no word from them if they had come up with anything during the search.

There will be a press conference by the Department of Public Safety regarding Tibbetts on Friday morning at 9:30 a.m. in Montezuma.”

Family of missing Iowa college students says she did return from jog

(Excerpts from linked article from June 30th snipped & BBM below for focus and to comply with copyright rules):

(CBS) -- New evidence shows Mollie Tibbetts was up late doing homework on her computer the night she vanished, according to family members who spoke with CBS affiliate KCCI.

"At some point in the evening, she went for a run and then she came back, and then we don't know," says Mollie's aunt, Kim Calderwood.

Last week, investigators told CBS News they didn't think Tibbetts returned from her run on July 18th. But yesterday, an Iowa Department of Criminal Investigation official told us they can't confirm or deny the family's claims that Tibbetts made it back to the house and used her laptop.

There is no question that LE knows with absolute certainty whether or not MT was on her laptop doing homework that night. I'm wondering if LE deliberately released false/conflicting information regarding her returning home and "doing homework" on her laptop in an attempt to lead their person(s) of interest up the proverbial garden path by making him/her/them think that the investigation was headed down a rabbit hole?

I'm curious to know what others here think: did MT disappear while out jogging that evening, or from in/around the bf's home at some point after the run?
Personally I think she returned home and was taken from the house. If this was in fact a stranger abduction, I think it's likely that the perpetrator saw her jogging and followed her.

Farmer: Ongoing search for Mollie Tibbetts happening in Poweshiek County

reposting my own post for discussion. Anyone have any clue what it could mean that they walked in there without a white van, but came back when they finished searching with a white van?

I don't think it means anything. If they were seizing the van as evidence they wouldn't all hop in and drive off in it.

Maybe instead of walking out and letting the press see anything they found they had a van waiting on the other side?

Personally I think she returned home and was taken from the house. If this was in fact a stranger abduction, I think it's likely that the perpetrator saw her jogging and followed her.

That would certainly be consistent with the behavior of a serial stalker, wouldn't it?
Two Words: Occam's Razor.
(ETA: ha, just spotted your signature quote, you're an adherent to OR yourself, I see)

Last edited by a moderator:
If someone took her from the house...would she be carrying the red shirt? If she was wearing it, it must have been morning, imo. But then, as I said before, if she was already dressed, had phone in hand or pocket...I can’t believe she had been up and awake a while and doing no texts, making calls, etc... seems like it woul be an automatic thing, maybe text the BF, text brother about the car or just like a post...

1.why would Mollie walk to her mother’s house in the AM if the night had been filled with storms that inspired tornado warnings not far away? Going to work soaking wet would hardly be appealing

2. How was she going to get to work? She could call her brother. Did she leave arrangements to the last minute usually?

3. I wonder if the perp’s DNA will be found on the shirt.

4. Why would the shirt be thrown out? I think Mollie is another direction. People are saying an animal could have dragged the shirt. From where? Maybe the perp knows about the criminal behavior of WC and figured it would be a great distraction.

5. This implies to me that it is local, not a stranger.

6. How I hope there is perp DNA on that shirt!

There's not a lot of reason to pair it to multiple devices; you want to pair it with your phone to get GPS tracking anyway, but then why pair it to an iPad when you already have your phone?

We have 3 of those fitbits in our family and they are all also paired to our fitbit scale, so if Mollie also had one of these at BF's house they would also know if she stepped on her scale and when (I step on before every shower for instance). Also, we are all each others friends on fitbit too and with Mollie being an avid runner she probably has friends on there as well whom would be able to tell if she had taken any steps the day she was determined to be missing.

Additionally, we don't know if there were signs of a struggle at the house. No information about that has leaked, and when asked, I remember the boyfriend stating that he didn't want to reveal information that the LE has asked him not to release. This was in one of the interviews, but I'm not sure which. I'm inclined to believe that she was taken during the night or that she was abducted on her way to her mom's in the morning. I agree that the perpetrator followed her and waited for his/her opportunity. Those are the theories that are staying with me.

I hate giving up on my scenarios so easily, so I'll stick with what I think was my last one, and add that the person who grabbed her right after her run also knew about the shirt (possibly a co-worker) and grabbed it. That way, people would assume she went missing in the morning and he/she could have a solid alibi for the time she was assumed to have gone missing. MOO of course.

That would certainly be consistent with the behavior of a serial stalker, wouldn't it?
Two Words: Occam's Razor.
I suppose so. If it were someone in the mould of a serial killer/rapist, I would think it more likely to attack her on the jog, and not wait until she returned home, as appears to be the case. This is an issue I have with the stranger theory, as it is incredibly risky to approach a house, and take someone from there. You don't know if someone else is home, or if someone is going to spot you. Edit * I read your post as serial killer instead of stalker.

Wow been offline most of the day...this is just so riveting I can hardly breathe.
I am so happy to have the locals and all the new members join us. Also thanks to everyone for the links and for keeping us all updated.
Personally, I don't know what to think. We've seen this kind of activity by LE before in other cases without results. Remember dear DeOrr? [I hate to write "remember" in reference to him :( ]
Hoping for the best while already braced for the worst.
Truly I pray that Mollie has not become "The Next Girl".
Prayers and wishes for Mollie from everywhere tonight.
ETA---not caught up? What evidence has been found???? TIA
DeOrr will forever be on my mind. I hope and pray that some day he will have his proper burial and those responsible for his death are held accountable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PixelP