Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of the press conference (LE presser yesterday) and how of the few details mentioned, one detail was that LE was pretty sure they had a timeline established.

Just thinking about that right now as I process today's activities.

jmo

I think it means searchers' vehicles were in one location and people walked from the vehicles to the search location. After the search, they were not near the vehicles and returned to them via van, as opposed to walking back to the original starting place.

Just a guess
Curious if the press saw anything being loaded into the white van other than the search team?

There was someone who works with eyes who posted many threads ago. We don't know for sure if she was even nearsighted or farsighted, which would make a difference (farsighted you could run without glasses or contacts, I'd think.)

Also it's not strictly true that eyesight gets worse as you age, before LASIK my eyesight was getting better and my eye doctor said it wasn't all that unusual.
I think that's because people tend to become more farsighted, not that their eyes get worse. If you're near sighted when you're young, your eyesight will likely improve as you age.

The fact she had her workshirt but not her contacts/glasses throws me off. Either she slept in the shirt (maybe went to bed super late and planned to just roll off to work in the am) or that she had an extra pair of contacts and was wearing a set (I notoriously sleep in mine :eek: ).

I’m still stuck on that detail. But going with the later, since the dogs were put away as if she was ready for work and left the house safely.

My opinion only-
I don’t recall the house Mollie was staying at being a crime scene (taped off and locked down) but I could be wrong. This could indicate a crime occurring elsewhere. If she returned home from her run and did homework into the “late evening” (evening is vague but considered 4pm-10pm) I am leaning towards her disappearance happening at the next most logical time, on her way to work.

I don't think the shoes were found in the home because in the PC they specifically said "and shoes of unknown color" so clearly the shoes were not left there. I remember finding it odd that the people she lived with wouldn't have filled in that particular detail (color of her shoes). I would also think that is part of the reason they refrained from committing to her being abducted from the home vs. while out or even leaving on her own accord (if she was abducted from the house would they have made the effort to go get her shoes)?
My girls are both runners and truthfully I probably couldn’t identify their shoes for certain at all...they have several kinds of ASICS and Saucony then on top of it there’s the color combinations they have...they are on either side of Mollie in age and are quite capable of purchasing their own shoes...I can’t tell you how many they have...so it really isn’t unusual or a lack of effort that there is not a confirmed shoe color. I couldn’t do it for mine unless I had pictures of all.

( I would describe them as the Old Favorites, New Favorites, The muddy dirty needs hosed down, the ones from gramma, the ones bought because color was pretty, the ones that need thrown away, the ones still in the box, the ones borrowed from the sister they aren’t returning...the ones hiding under the bed because Mom said you didn’t need anymore)

Last edited:
That lat/long using Sierah's home address (where she was taken right outside) freaked us out. It is virtually a straight line.
Both BF's were in construction also.
Mollie reminds me of her. A lot of people think Ce's hair was "blondish" but that was coloring. Her real hair color was dark brown..and she had those same dark brown/black eyes and toothy smile. My heart breaks for Mollie's family. SO hard. I pray for a different ending.
It is nice to see your name pop up Jashrema. Sierah’s case was one that I followed minute-by minute as it was way too close to home. I have since moved from the area, but my cousin lives within a few miles from where she was taken, and was at the local bar celebrating as the verdict was read. You were such a great help in the case. I am extremely sorry for your loss. I know that you have a lot of insight, so I look forward to reading your posts

I think that's because people tend to become more farsighted, not that their eyes get worse. If you're near sighted when you're young, your eyesight will likely improve as you age.
I just had this discussion with my eye doctor! My eyesight stayed the same until 40+ which is also the age you start needing reading glasses.

He said that was normal - so from teen years to 40+

This may seem like an obvious point, but it bears stating: Just because we don't know the answers to numerous important questions about this case, doesn't mean that the investigators don't know. This is apparently confusing to some in the news media, who keep saying "Investigators are stumped," without referencing any sources close to the investigation who indicate this is the case. We don't know what they know and we don't know what they don't know. Just because there hasn't been a break in the case publicly, doesn't mean there hasn't been a certain measure of progress. Like everyone here, I'm incredibly curious as to what we hear from law enforcement tomorrow, especially as it compares to what we heard at the last press conference.

Could the cell phone company or the Fitbit people have "pinged" her device at LE's request?

The Fitbit only communicates with Fitbit servers through the cell phone it is paired with. Her Fitbit, since it doesn't have GPS, would only be able to - at best - respond with the GPS location of the phone it was paired with.

I think the reason they were trying to get Fitbit records is that she may have had GPS "always on" for her Fitbit, which would mean they'd have an idea about where her phone was when it stopped communicating with the servers, and GPS is better than cell phone triangulation.

Thank you PaulR. So, no random syncing.

I think she could pair her fitbit with more than one device though. Like she could also use her ipad. Or a close friend's phone she used sometimes?

It looks like it could but reading the Fitbit forums, it breaks notifications (a Fitbit with a display like MT's can display notes when you get an SMS, etc.), you have to manually switch between devices, and there are people who are asking tech support how to actually do it, so I don't think it is a common thing to do. There's not a lot of reason to pair it to multiple devices; you want to pair it with your phone to get GPS tracking anyway, but then why pair it to an iPad when you already have your phone?

This may seem like an obvious point, but it bears stating: Just because we don't know the answers to numerous important questions about this case, doesn't mean that the investigators don't know. This is apparently confusing to some in the news media, who keep saying "Investigators are stumped," without referencing any sources close to the investigation who indicate this is the case. We don't know what they know and we don't know what they don't know. Just because there hasn't been a break in the case publicly, doesn't mean there hasn't been a certain measure of progress. Like everyone here, I'm incredibly curious as to what we hear from law enforcement tomorrow, especially as it compares to what we heard at the last press conference.
Curious as to where you have heard "Investigators are stumped" used by news media.

Family of missing Iowa college students says she did return from jog

(Excerpts from linked article from June 30th snipped & BBM below for focus and to comply with copyright rules):

(CBS) -- New evidence shows Mollie Tibbetts was up late doing homework on her computer the night she vanished, according to family members who spoke with CBS affiliate KCCI.

"At some point in the evening, she went for a run and then she came back, and then we don't know," says Mollie's aunt, Kim Calderwood.

Last week, investigators told CBS News they didn't think Tibbetts returned from her run on July 18th. But yesterday, an Iowa Department of Criminal Investigation official told us they can't confirm or deny the family's claims that Tibbetts made it back to the house and used her laptop.

There is no question that LE knows with absolute certainty whether or not MT was on her laptop doing homework that night. I'm wondering if LE deliberately released false/conflicting information regarding her returning home and "doing homework" on her laptop in an attempt to lead their person(s) of interest up the proverbial garden path by making him/her/them think that the investigation was headed down a rabbit hole?

I'm curious to know what others here think: did MT disappear while out jogging that evening, or from in/around the bf's home at some point after the run?

POWESHIEK COUNTY (KWWL) -

UPDATE: Investigators returned nearly two hours after they entered a wooded area of Poweshiek County. They did not walk out of the woods from where they entered, instead they returned in a white van before leaving the area for the night.

Farmer: Ongoing search for Mollie Tibbetts happening in Poweshiek County
IMO-If any evidence was found and LE didn't want to risk it being photographed or on video, they could come out of the search area in the white van. Especially if they don't want to release that info. yet or want anyone seeing that they do have evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme