2009.04.13 State To Seek Death Penalty For Casey Anthony

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Humm, I wonder if in DC's talk with LE. he confessed that Casey was the tip provider and if this evidence might have played a role ? I am also thinking it might be related to evidence returned on the duct tape...DNA maybe, Casey's ?

This shocked me when I heard it on the news this afternoon as I surely didn't see this coming! I bet Ms. KC is going to be a lot less smirky now.

Here's what Florida's Death Penalty statute considers aggravating and mitigating circumstances:

(5) AGGRAVATING CIRCUMSTANCES. Aggravating circumstances shall be limited to the following:

(a) The capital felony was committed by a person under sentence of imprisonment or placed on community control.

(b) The defendant was previously convicted of another capital felony or of a felony involving the use or threat of violence to the person.

(c) The defendant knowingly created a great risk of death to many persons.

(d) The capital felony was committed while the defendant was engaged, or was an accomplice, in the commission of, or an attempt to commit, or flight after committing or attempting to commit, any robbery, sexual battery, arson, burglary, kidnapping, or aircraft piracy or the unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb.

(e) The capital felony was committed for the purpose of avoiding or preventing a lawful arrest or effecting an escape from custody.

(f) The capital felony was committed for pecuniary gain.

(g) The capital felony was committed to disrupt or hinder the lawful exercise of any governmental function or the enforcement of laws.

(h) The capital felony was especially heinous, atrocious, or cruel.

(i) The capital felony was a homicide and was committed in a cold, calculated, and premeditated manner without any pretense of moral or legal justification.

(j) The victim of the capital felony was a law enforcement officer engaged in the performance of his official duties.

(k) The victim of the capital felony was an elected or appointed public official engaged in the performance of his official duties if the motive for the capital felony was related, in whole or in part, to the victim's official capacity.

(6) MITIGATING CIRCUMSTANCES. Mitigating circumstances shall be the following:

(a) The defendant has no significant history of prior criminal activity.

(b) The capital felony was committed while the defendant was under the influence of extreme mental or emotional disturbance.

(c) The victim was a participant in the defendant's conduct or consented to the act.

(d) The defendant was an accomplice in the capital felony committed by another person and his participation was relatively minor.

(e) The defendant acted under extreme duress or under the substantial domination of another person.

(f) The capacity of the defendant to appreciate the criminality of his conduct or to conform his conduct to the requirements of law was substantially impaired.

(g) The age of the defendant at the time of the crime.

Looking at the list is very interesting. Bold is from my personal opinion what based on the released evidence could apply. But KC also fits into a lot of the mitigating circumstances also. It sounds awful, but for "run of the mill" murder you don't usually get the death penalty against a 22 year old. The age thing gets a lot of people. IMO the SA has to have (1) serious evidence that would convince a reasonable person that KC absolutely did this- that can't be discredited on cross-examination. Like someone said DNA/soil on the shoes could do it. Just because the evidence of decomp in the trunk while believable, could be super confusing when LKB goes at it. (2) Some WEIRD evidence that shows this wasn't an accident- something we haven't seen.

I think this might also be a little bit of an attempt at strong-arming- to get JB off his high horse and scare into KC and her parents that this is really life or DEATH. JB messes up and KC dies- no more blindly following the white knight (which would cost FL years and years of appeals).

I'm very much against the death penalty. That said, there are two positive things that may come out of this. One, JB will no longer be lead counsel. As I've stated way too many times unfortunately, he is by far the most incompetent attorney I've ever seen practice in a serious criminal case; and I believe that every criminal defendant is entitled to competent counsel. Two, KC just might take a plea now. She would be insane not to.

It is not for me to judge whether a human should die, a Higher Power owns that decision.

I am glad that the death penalty is back on the table, if only to get KC to talk and to stop this circus of "half truths".

Does this mean the A's will cancel their Oprah debute? :D

mabey she will spill her guts now and put this to rest

That's what I'm hoping for.
This needs to end.
Make it right A family, there's still time to make it right!!!:(
Cuz the way things are now..... if I ever find myself in Florida, walking down the sidewalk with my baby niece and the A family stopped and coo'd (sp?) over her, I would pick up my niece and RUN to the opposite side of the street!!! They scare me!!!!

I don't think JB will leave the case voluntarily. He has the established relationship with the client. He will probably try to bring someone who is D-P qualified onto the "team." The question is whether he can get someone who will still go with his strategy and plans so far, even if he is directing from behind the scenes, or whether someone qualified is going to want to do it his or her way. Maybe he will bring back TL, since they worked together before. I agree the public discussion might be a problem, but I haven't really read all his blogging, etc.

May she die a slow and excruciatingly painful death.
:liar::sick::loser:

Just wanted to add one more thing.....

Wonder if KC needed "medication" today?

Here's what Florida's Death Penalty statute considers aggravating and mitigating circumstances:

(5) AGGRAVATING CIRCUMSTANCES. Aggravating circumstances shall be limited to the following:

(a) The capital felony was committed by a person under sentence of imprisonment or placed on community control.

(b) The defendant was previously convicted of another capital felony or of a felony involving the use or threat of violence to the person.

(c) The defendant knowingly created a great risk of death to many persons.

(d) The capital felony was committed while the defendant was engaged, or was an accomplice, in the commission of, or an attempt to commit, or flight after committing or attempting to commit, any robbery, sexual battery, arson, burglary, kidnapping, or aircraft piracy or the unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb.

(e) The capital felony was committed for the purpose of avoiding or preventing a lawful arrest or effecting an escape from custody.

(f) The capital felony was committed for pecuniary gain.

(g) The capital felony was committed to disrupt or hinder the lawful exercise of any governmental function or the enforcement of laws.

(h) The capital felony was especially heinous, atrocious, or cruel.

(i) The capital felony was a homicide and was committed in a cold, calculated, and premeditated manner without any pretense of moral or legal justification.

(j) The victim of the capital felony was a law enforcement officer engaged in the performance of his official duties.

(k) The victim of the capital felony was an elected or appointed public official engaged in the performance of his official duties if the motive for the capital felony was related, in whole or in part, to the victim's official capacity.

(6) MITIGATING CIRCUMSTANCES. Mitigating circumstances shall be the following:

(a) The defendant has no significant history of prior criminal activity.

(b) The capital felony was committed while the defendant was under the influence of extreme mental or emotional disturbance.

(c) The victim was a participant in the defendant's conduct or consented to the act.

(d) The defendant was an accomplice in the capital felony committed by another person and his participation was relatively minor.

(e) The defendant acted under extreme duress or under the substantial domination of another person.

(f) The capacity of the defendant to appreciate the criminality of his conduct or to conform his conduct to the requirements of law was substantially impaired.

(g) The age of the defendant at the time of the crime.

Looking at the list is very interesting. Bold is from my personal opinion what based on the released evidence could apply. But KC also fits into a lot of the mitigating circumstances also. It sounds awful, but for "run of the mill" murder you don't usually get the death penalty against a 22 year old. The age thing gets a lot of people. IMO the SA has to have (1) serious evidence that would convince a reasonable person that KC absolutely did this- that can't be discredited on cross-examination. Like someone said DNA/soil on the shoes could do it. Just because the evidence of decomp in the trunk while believable, could be super confusing when LKB goes at it. (2) Some WEIRD evidence that shows this wasn't an accident- something we haven't seen.

I think this might also be a little bit of an attempt at strong-arming- to get JB off his high horse and scare into KC and her parents that this is really life or DEATH. JB messes up and KC dies- no more blindly following the white knight (which would cost FL years and years of appeals).

I agree with either h or i or both, but not the kidnapping highlighted. I don't think you can kidnap your own child when there's no father in the picture.

Does this mean the A's will cancel their Oprah debute? :D

I can't believe Oprah would even have those fools come sit on stage with her. Ratings week or not. She must be desperate.

Just released from WESH news! :clap:

State To Seek Death Penalty For Casey Anthony
In a change of heart, the state attorney's office has filed a letter of intent Monday to seek the dealth penalty for Casey Anthony.

The court and Casey Anthony's attorney, Jose Baez, are being notified.

Previously, the state said they would not seek the death penalty for Anthony, who is in the Orange County Jail charged with first-degree murder in connection with the death of her daughter, Caylee.

The state attorney's office is citing "sufficient aggarvating circumstances" as the reason for Monday's decision.

http://www.wesh.com/news/19168682/detail.html

Best News I've had in months!!!

Is it possible this is a tactic to get KC and Baez to rethink her plea and defense (Re: Zanny the Nanny did it)? I'll keep my opinions on the death penalty to myself.

I really don't think they would gamble this just for a confession. There must be some hard core evidence although in SP's case there wasn't much evidence. I don't know. I spent most of saturday going over SP's case and there is more preliminary forensic evidence in KC's case than SP's yet they went for the death penalty from the very beginning with SP.

So basically, I'm just rambling (from giddiness).

Wow this made my day. I had a feeling they were going to turn this way again. I hope this changes her smiling ways we always see her with. This will definitely scare the crap out of her. Good for the SA. :dance:

On CNN it was just said that the state will not have access to certain defense records because it was changed, DP, after the 45 day mark...?

I'm very much against the death penalty. That said, there are two positive things that may come out of this. One, JB will no longer be lead counsel. As I've stated way too many times unfortunately, he is by far the most incompetent attorney I've ever seen practice in a serious criminal case; and I believe that every criminal defendant is entitled to competent counsel. Two, KC just might take a plea now. She would be insane not to.

:waitasec: I didn't read anywhere that the SA was currently offering any plea deal. Are they? Link anyone? :waitasec:

The Astrology thread said this morning KC is very angry today. I read it not more than a half hour ago, and was wondering what it could be to pizz her off.

You are correct that the charts have been showing that this week Casey was going to be coming unglued! :dance: The astrologers amaze me everytime with how accurate they are when reading the stars & planets!
Here's to our WS's astrologers! :clap: :clap:

They deserve a big round of thanks for the time they devote in all of the cases they work on! :clap:

:angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member