2009.11.19 Defense files motion suggesting Kronk as the killer. #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they have a recording of him saying this...because yes, the media reported it, but according to Kronk in the police interview he never said it. The media is even mentioned...and he states they got it wrong (or something to that effect). I also remember there were a lot of misreporting about the bag as well.

He wrote and signed this statement at 9:30pm.

"...droped out."

His statement says the skull dropped out of the bag.

I tend to agree, it was one thing to do the motion and take this path against RK but completely another to not only attach videos of RK's ex-wives but also schedule an intense series of media appearances to coincide.

This was very calculated and very devious. It has a key point and timing.

The plan and motion was preset ahead of RK's depo because it takes time to setup and the trigger was pulled on the motion before RK started/completed his depo.

Also note that the Defense have NEVER done a media campaign of this scale and JB even faced off with JVM for a prolonged session, even though it was still soft ball.

If this is just a spaghetti defense and RK is just one of the targets then the Defense risked a lot and expended a lot on this.

I am intrigued by the daisy chain and that DC is desperate given his searches and involvement that classically points back to CA/LA and KC as the source.

This is BIG, this is very BIG yet the connection of RK is very very weak to Caylee -- so its an act of desperation for either something that is going down soon or to seek a better plea deal.

Something smells and it smells bad. How is Strickland going to view this premature stunt -- the backlash on many blogs is very negative so the cost was definitely worth it to them.
...and let's not forget that DC's depo was postponed at the last minute.

"...droped out."

...and in his interview he said he pushed the bag aside...a little dramatization on his part? I can't imagine coming upon a scene like that...I probably would have said "popped out"! Interesting also in his interview, when he was describing what was inside the bag, he said it looked like stuffing. All I kept thinking of was mummification at some point...but that doesn't fit the conditions AT ALL.

ITA! This was not a professional investigation or assesment of RK as a viable suspect but a scorched earth witchhunt tried in the public domain.

It was fine for the Defense to investigate RK, it was fine for the Defense to consider RK as a possible suspect, even to file the motion if they want and, to have this as a plan and strategy for trial. It is fine to seek to question, impeach and affect RK's testimony at trial.

What is not fine is the devious attachment of RK's ex-Wives videos to the motion and the well-timed media blitz. The Defense have NEVER done a media tour of this scale based on so little and were using the videos to slander RK as a tool.

There is an agenda involved here that smells bad and it is very interesting that while the videos would get released under the Sunshine Law once filed with the court and requested --- the media outlets already had them as if the Defense brought copies with them.

The motion was drafted and filed before RK even spoke a word at his depo!

This is NOT the professional and passionate defense that KC can and should expect this is a dirty game of slandering a witness in the media as fodder to counter the bad press that KC has/had and to make another sensational actor in the Caylee murder to reduce the media impact of KC and the A's. Pure and simple.

The Defense are sacrificing someone to make KC look better, using the AL word 'kill' instead of DP and trying to humanize KC to level the playing field but RK is the sacrificial lamb. Who's next?
If it's not connected to DC's depo...could it be they're trying to get something from the State that they haven't yet received?

This motion pointing at RK could accomplish two things for the defense.

1. It attempts to show that RK might be responsible for Caylee's death.
2. It attempts to show that OCSO is incompetant for not recognizing that RK is highly suspicious and dealing with him as such.

A juror is presented with a "suspicious guy" and a "crummy investigative body who rushed to judgement". It's a double push for reasonable doubt. The Simpson defense team did similar.

I understand where you're coming from Hot Dogs! BUT.. IMO, they are going to need a lot more than a few disgruntled ex-wives to convince the jury that RK could maybe the 'nanny'!!

There is something weird about this to me. Why pull some highly-publicized SODDI stunt like this so far away from the trial? This might be effective two weeks away, but the SA has all kinds of time to invesigate these charges, interview these witnesses and see if they hold up or lack credibility (my guess is that the witnesses have an agenda, primarily because Crystal did a 180 on her original reaction and April is seen to be extorting money from her father in the email DC and CA shared).

So why would they need a dramatic, preemptive strike over six months before this ever hits trial? Maybe they are simply creating a diversion before the next doc dump (they've done it before). But maybe they specifically need to impeach the credibility of this particular witness and making him a temporary "murder suspect" will do the trick.

The only thing I can think of for which the defense would need not only a diversion, but to discredit RK, is if, for some reason they are worried that he will come up in DC's deposition, or that DC has somehow struck a deal with the state. If DC is the reason that RK was inspired to look there on Suburban, then it would be in the defense's best interests to make him look like a liar and a instead of the hero who found Caylee.

The hinkiness is not limited to RK happening to be at the spot her remains were found - he may simply be a pawn in this. What is most striking to me is that RK located them the first day he was assigned to the area, dutifully called LE, was blown off and then apparently transferred to another route. A couple of weeks after DC is scrounging around in the same area, (serendipitously the week that CA and GA will be doing LKL), RK is reassigned the same route and given "another chance" to locate Caylee at the same coordinates.

While it is still possible RK could have done it the way he said he did, why did JB pick a couple of weeks before DC's dreaded depo to suddenly splash this, in a most unprofessional way (and one that might leave him open to a defamation suit because he went straight to the media instead of using the normal discovery channels to disseminate the info) all over the press? Particularly when there is no strategic value for coming out this early.

More things that make me go hmmmmm....I'd like to know how many degrees of separation are between DC and RK (for instance RK's supervisor). Something does not seem right, and it has nothing to do with RK finding Caylee, imo.

They came out with their media blitz about RK shortly after the last doc dump which had highly incriminating evidence, i.e. the coffin flies. However, we know that the Sunshine Laws prohibit any discovery from being released that would be so incriminating as to prevent the defendant from receiving a fair trial. Therefore, IMO the defense has discovery from very recently that is causing them great concern. LKB's spin was ridiculous when she said, "We're doing the SA's job for them. We had to bring them the evidence." Methinks the defense hath protesteth too much (my apologies to Shakespeare).

...and in his interview he said he pushed the bag aside...a little dramatization on his part? I can't imagine coming upon a scene like that...I probably would have said "popped out"! Interesting also in his interview, when he was describing what was inside the bag, he said it looked like stuffing. All I kept thinking of was mummification at some point...but that doesn't fit the conditions AT ALL.

The media could have gotten the "dropped/rolled/fell out" thing one of two ways.

1. Kronk told them that.
2. A cop leaked what Kronk told them or what he wrote on his statement.

My suspicion is that LE leaked what Kronk initially contended... "dropped out".

It wasn't until way later that we learned that CSI determined the skull could not have dropped/rolled/fell out of the bag and that Kronk was wrong. And of course Kronk also learned that he was wrong. He learned that even before they recorded that interview linked earlier in this thread.

I think the stuffing or lining that RK talked about inside the bag may have been the blanket or cloth remnants.

I really don't think that parsing his statements or opportunistic comments from disgruntled relatives have any direct relevance on whether RK is a viable murder suspect. The connective tissue just isn't there, imo.

What is however strange is WHY RK picked that place in the first place. If it could be shown that RK got a tip with the coordinates, it will mess things up for the defense. Accidental death is not likely to fly given the other circumstances and behavior.

The only truly weird thing is perhaps RK got a tip on where to look. That would certainly lead straight back to the person responsible, and despite the fact that RK's ex hates him enough to say so, there is no evidence that puts him there where a live Caylee disappeared, only after she was all tiny scattered bones. The last person to see Caylee alive was her mother. She cannot or won't explain it reasonably. Even RK's slightly hinky story about why he looked there pales compared to the ridiculous Imaginanny fiction KC gave LE about why Caylee "disappeared" in the first place. That silly girl wouldn't spend 18 months in jail covering for a meter man she didn't know.

OH! And let's remember last year around this time - before the body was found - JB was promising us a story that would SHOCK us. If RK had been a murder suspect we would have heard it from the defense before he found Caylee.

Many, many years ago I was driving my car with four passengers. We had a head-on collision with a truck resulting in multiple severe and life-threatening injuries. All four of us adults remembered the accident in a different way. (Our infant could have probably given the best account!!!) All of the measurements of tire marks etc at the scene proved that the truck was at fault. Even though I was the driver I wasn't sure of everything that happened and in what sequence. Neither was anyone else.

So it is no surprise to me that Kronk would get a lot of things wrong. Even though it wasn't quite as traumatic as a car accident, it must have had some trauma connect to it nonetheless! I can easily excuse his inconsistencies for this reason alone. And, not to embarrass him, but I think he might not be a Mensa member either. Please don't give this guy any undeserved break but at least don't let him hang out there to die because he had the misfortune of finding Caylee's body and is less than what we wished he had been! moo

911 operator to Kronk on Aug 12...

Yes, sir, you can still remain anonymous if they do find a corpse.

Well, hmmm. Is this really true? How would that work?

After reading all the pages My thought is... as far as defense AL said right up front in the Judges chambers meeting, I can't remember exactly when that was, "She will be filling many many motions".
As far as RK, his ex defended him on a forum. Now why would that all change??
Makes no sense to me. The defense can throw out anything they want in motions,
The judge considers most motions so that there is not an appeal, the defense knows this and has an advantage in this regard then the thought that crossed my mind is...
The defense needs a paycheck, they go on networks take some new pics , talk, get some media attention, $$$$$ and on they go to the next person they will make wild statements about.
I mean how many times can the defense schedule interviews and say this will be tried in court not media, my client is innocent, (it)? will come out in court and we will be shocked. I feel bad for RK,RG,TL,AH,ZFG and everyone else they will draw out of hat.
I guess the reality of knowing this is how the system works is pretty scarey. Any one of us could be accused of a crime. Not long ago a girl was raped and no one saw anything even though many were there. A man fell into the street and people just walk by, no one helps. No one talks or helps and we wonder why.

"...droped out."

During his three interviews the first one on Dec. 11, 2008, he stated that he saw a round dome in a bag. No water now. He hit it and it made a thud sound. He then pulled on the bottom of the closed bag with his meter stick and the second time he pulled on the bag a human skull dropped out with hair and duct tape on it.

On 12/11 LE took the meter stick into their possession.

On Dec. 17, 2008, LE went to RK house and RK stated that he yanked at the bottom edge of the bag with his meter stick and the second time he yanked a skull rolled out. Thought it might be a Halloween mask. He lifted it up a little bit with his meter stick and saw the tape. He called Alex to say he had found a human skull.

He recants that back in August he saw a black bag near a tree that had fallen over. The bag didn't look right. The bag was 4 to 10 feet FROM the water's edge.

He recants his story that he grabbed the bottom of the bag with his stick and an object rolled out. It looked to have male pattern baldness. Then he says the skull never rolled out of the bag but that he saw something white and fluffy in the bag.

On Jan. 6, 2009, he stated that the skull and bag had been 4 to 6 feet IN the water back in August. He saw something white that was protruding out of the water in August. LE asks him if it was submerged and he agrees.

You can listen to the three interviews on audio by going to the Official Documents Thread to Post No. 131, dated 4/6/09.

During his interview with LE on December 17, 2008, RK stated that he used to be a Bail Bondsman.

Oh and I'll add that RK told LE that he would not have told people about his skull sighting because why would he spread the word when there was a $25,000 reward. He stated that even an Indian gets lucky every once in awhile. He says he spoke to people about his theory but not specifics.

The only thing about the above claim is if he was 99.999 percent sure that he had found the remains and knew that the reward was being offered why wouldn't he pursue getting the truth out in the open. He said because "real" things got in the way. Real life things. Plus the Officer had been mean to him back in August so he had his nose out of joint (my words).

*Limine to illude while alluding*

http://www.wftv.com/pdf/21674736/detail.html
DEFENDANT'S MOTION IN LIMINE .........
Page 28 Line 3
This argument that the State ignored Mr. Kronk as a suspect is supported by his own statement that, when he initially informed law enforcement of his previous suspicious 911 calls he was told to "shut (his) mouth." It is also supported by Orange County's treatment of Deputy Sheriff Richard Cain, who had responded to Mr. Kronk's August 13, 2008 call to 911 and who had not discovered anything suspicious. After the remains of Caylee Anthony were discovered in December of 2008, Orange County promptly investigated D/S Cain, ultimately forcing him to resign. The haste with which Orange County pursued D/S Cain - apparently for failing to support Mr. Kronk's story - supports Miss Anthony's position that law had little interest in following up on him as a possible suspect.

http://www.wftv.com/pdf/19341462/detail.html

Transcript Kronk
January 6, 2009
Page 12 Line 18
RK: I told them I called crime line in on it. I said, "I reported this back
in August."
MR: You told them that?
RK: Yeal.
MR: Okay. Um, how did they respond?
RK: They told me to shut my mouth.
MR: Who did?
RK: I don't remember; one of the two of them told me that probably the best thing I could do was not say anything about it.
(continued page 13 Line 2)
MR: Did they say this in passing? Did they say, "You'd better not say
anything about this?"

RK: No, I mean it's not like.
MR: What was?
RK: It's not like you giving me like a, uh, uh, the, and order, if you will
Maybe more like concerned about the fact that they might think, that somebody might think that I had something to do with it and they said, "Well, you know, I probably wouldn't say anything about that." So. But obviously, I did anyway, so.
Page 14 Line 6
RK: And I said, "Yeal," I said, "I called this back in, in back in August." And they were like, "Well, I wouldn't tell anybody that then. And I went, "Okay." You know. But I mean, but I also told, I called, what was it, Detective Melich, uh, God, the next day or the day after and gave him, even told him when I called the crime line (inaudible) because I wanted it out there.
MR: Okay. Well, let me ask you. Do you infer, from the comments made by the deputy, that he did not want you to fully cooperate with the investigators?
RK: No, not at all, no.
MR: Okay.
RK: No, no, no, no, no.
MR: So it didn't seem like he was telling you what to do? This was more of a (inaudible)?
RK:Yeal, like I said, it didn't come like as an authoritative tone.

RE: Deputy C
Page 6 Line 22
RH: He was close enough to have seen this bag?
RK: He might have spent all of three seconds scanning the area. He
didn't stop. He didn't take his time. He didn't look.

Page 7 Line 8
RK: Okay? He started telling me about how many tips they've run and,yada, yada, yada and it just seemed to me; like I said, he didn't; I don't even felt he treated me professionally, as a county employee.
(bolded & underlined by me)

Many, many years ago I was driving my car with four passengers. We had a head-on collision with a truck resulting in multiple severe and life-threatening injuries. All four of us adults remembered the accident in a different way. (Our infant could have probably given the best account!!!) All of the measurements of tire marks etc at the scene proved that the truck was at fault. Even though I was the driver I wasn't sure of everything that happened and in what sequence. Neither was anyone else.

So it is no surprise to me that Kronk would get a lot of things wrong. Even though it wasn't quite as traumatic as a car accident, it must have had some trauma connect to it nonetheless! I can easily excuse his inconsistencies for this reason alone. And, not to embarrass him, but I think he might not be a Mensa member either. Please don't give this guy any undeserved break but at least don't let him hang out there to die because he had the misfortune of finding Caylee's body and is less than what we wished he had been! moo

Excellent point, if we all knew what was around the corner we would prepare for it... but we don't. I bet Kronk never thought in a million years that he would become #1 suspect. EU - your post sums this up perfect

*Limine to illude while alluding*

http://www.wftv.com/pdf/21674736/detail.html
DEFENDANT'S MOTION IN LIMINE .........
Page 28 Line 3
This argument that the State ignored Mr. Kronk as a suspect is supported by his own statement that, when he initially informed law enforcement of his previous suspicious 911 calls he was told to "shut (his) mouth." It is also supported by Orange County's treatment of Deputy Sheriff Richard Cain, who had responded to Mr. Kronk's August 13, 2008 call to 911 and who had not discovered anything suspicious. After the remains of Caylee Anthony were discovered in December of 2008, Orange County promptly investigated D/S Cain, ultimately forcing him to resign. The haste with which Orange County pursued D/S Cain - apparently for failing to support Mr. Kronk's story - supports Miss Anthony's position that law had little interest in following up on him as a possible suspect.

http://www.wftv.com/pdf/19341462/detail.html

Transcript Kronk
January 6, 2009
Page 12 Line 18
RK: I told them I called crime line in on it. I said, "I reported this back
in August."
MR: You told them that?
RK: Yeal.
MR: Okay. Um, how did they respond?
RK: They told me to shut my mouth.
MR: Who did?
RK: I don't remember; one of the two of them told me that probably the best thing I could do was not say anything about it.
(continued page 13 Line 2)
MR: Did they say this in passing? Did they say, "You'd better not say
anything about this?"

RK: No, I mean it's not like.
MR: What was?
RK: It's not like you giving me like a, uh, uh, the, and order, if you will
Maybe more like concerned about the fact that they might think, that somebody might think that I had something to do with it and they said, "Well, you know, I probably wouldn't say anything about that." So. But obviously, I did anyway, so.
Page 14 Line 6
RK: And I said, "Yeal," I said, "I called this back in, in back in August." And they were like, "Well, I wouldn't tell anybody that then. And I went, "Okay." You know. But I mean, but I also told, I called, what was it, Detective Melich, uh, God, the next day or the day after and gave him, even told him when I called the crime line (inaudible) because I wanted it out there.
MR: Okay. Well, let me ask you. Do you infer, from the comments made by the deputy, that he did not want you to fully cooperate with the investigators?
RK: No, not at all, no.
MR: Okay.
RK: No, no, no, no, no.
MR: So it didn't seem like he was telling you what to do? This was more of a (inaudible)?
RK:Yeal, like I said, it didn't come like as an authoritative tone.

RE: Deputy C
Page 6 Line 22
RH: He was close enough to have seen this bag?
RK: He might have spent all of three seconds scanning the area. He
didn't stop. He didn't take his time. He didn't look.

Page 7 Line 8
RK: Okay? He started telling me about how many tips they've run and,yada, yada, yada and it just seemed to me; like I said, he didn't; I don't even felt he treated me professionally, as a county employee.
(bolded & underlined by me)

Thank you, just thank you so much for going to this much work to compile the essence of the obstacles that Kronk had to overcome to have his discovery confirmed.

Since there were posts here regarding Casey being the "only one with a motive to kill Caylee" and RK not having any motive: Of course I don't know about RK's motive or lack of motive either way so I won't comment on his motive or lack of motive. But regarding Casey as far as "motive": I think Casey had the least motive possible for killing Caylee. Despite the media's image of Casey as someone who would kill her child, there's actually no evidence (that we've seen so far, at least) to support this, and almost 3 years worth of evidence to the contrary. Not only did Casey love Caylee, not only was Caylee her only accomplishment and source of self-esteem, not only did Casey love taking Caylee and showing her off everywhere she went and always had, but if people want to be cynical, Caylee was also Casey's only meal-ticket, whether through her own parents or potentially the paternal grandparents or even through Caylee's father or the state.
And as far as the supposed motive of killing Caylee to be free to party or to be with TL, I don't buy it, because Casey had been much more head over heels about Brandon S than TL for example, and didn't get rid of Caylee to try to be with him or any other guy. And she'd always partied, no need to get rid of Caylee. But if she had wanted to get rid of Caylee, I think her MO would be just leaving Caylee with GA or CA and not returning, just stringing them along, saying she'd be back soon. So easy. I don't think it's in Casey's MO to harm or kill Caylee, or that Casey would ever want to go to prison for the rest of her life.
As far as motive goes, sadly, child predators kill children every day with no "motive". Casey had had Caylee around a lot of new people shortly before Caylee's disappearance. Casey had come into contact with a lot of new people. No harm had ever come to Caylee before, now suddenly Caylee disappears and is later found murdered.
Now, could Casey have murdered Caylee due to the onset of delusions, delirium, or some radical personality change that had occurred during those weeks or some unknown reason? Obviously can't rule that out either. In fact in her statements and jailhouse conversations, LE interviews, etc, I do think she appears deluded and appears to have had a significant change in thinking and personality, she's completely "blank" about Caylee, says many weird and muddled/confused things (which will be found out to be untrue immediately, serves her no purpose, no kind of calculated lying), seems to be confusing the past with her current life, even says that one of her friends was "Juliet Lewis" (i.e. famous actress's name.) So I do think she has had some kind of mental deterioration. Not that it necessarily means she was the one who murdered Caylee. MOO But I don't see real evidence of "motive" IMO.

bbm~
Seagull, to be honest we don't know any such thing. We can assume or have our opinions of course, but we do not have any way of knowing that IMHO. As far as KC's muddled thoughts, mental deterioration or blankness as you put it, if that were the case WHY did that only apply to 'Caylee'? She seemed to know exactly what she was saying and doing while straight out lying to George and Cindy for that 31 days. How would you explain that away? ..

I think her bizarre "blank" regarding Caylee, as well as her urgency in wanting only to talk to TL with no concern or urgency about Caylee at all (and not faking like she was concerned about Caylee either) is very interesting. Also the way in her interviews she seems to have even taken on a bit of Tony's accent at times. As well as her saying she'd spoken to Caylee that day (but what she describes actually sounds like that video, with Caylee and her book, like she's mixing up her memory of watching that video vs. talking to Caylee on the phone?), and her saying that the friend she confided in about Caylee being missing was Juliet Lewis (like the movie actress?). And her confusing past and current events such as a job that she had in 2006, walking all the way up to the door with LE before they confronted her with it and said this isn't true. Her continually telling LE things that would be found out to be false immediately, obviously not doing herself any service. Her changing stories about what happened and not seeming to realize this destroys her credibility, seeming to believe both stories equally and repeating them in an almost mechanical fashion. I think all of these things are very interesting and could be very significant. I hope the defense get to the bottom of it but I'm not so sure. Maybe Baez thinks she's guilty so hasn't pressed for information from her. What if he's wrong. Hope they had thorough medical/mental examination of her done. The one lawyer who left the case said she suffers from mental illness.

But she didn't fake the phone call, she just said it happened, obviously they found out immediately it wasn't true. The same with all the things she told them that were not true.

I have to ask...Where are you hearing this and HOW in the world do we have any idea what TonE's accent is? Or how Casey spoke normally, as far as I know we really haven't heard her speak at all except in the jailhouse tapes and phone calls. TIA!

My original point was that prior to the trial, the judge had to approve the defense's claim that Dan White's capacity for rational thought had become diminished.

The truth is that White's attorney claimed 'diminished capacity' based on the fact that he had become a junk food devotee. What actually put a lot of sugar in his syetem was Coca Cola, not twinkies. The media created and used the term: twinkie defense. Twinkies were never mentioned at trial.

FWIW

This is not quite true. Twinkies were mentioned, (though it was a just a small part of the diminished capacity defense. The following quote is from:
Eileen A. Scallen & William E. Wiethoff, The Ethos of Expert Witnesses: Confusing the Admissibility, Sufficiency and Credibility of Expert Testimony, 49 Hastings L.J. 1143, 1161-66 (1998):

"At the trial, White presented a defense of diminished capacity, using [precedent] . . . which held that evidence of diminished capacity, whether from intoxication, trauma or mental disease, could be used to show that the defendant did not have a specific mental state such as malice aforethought, or could not premeditate or deliberate to the degree required for a conviction of first degree murder. Thus, White presented expert testimony regarding his mental state at the time of the killings. This expert testimony was the source of one of the trial's most memorable images and one of the most reviled examples of "junk science" - the "Twinkie defense," as the press referred to the testimony of Dr. Martin Blinder. This defense expert testified that when White became depressed, he ate large amounts of junk food - Twinkies, Coca-Cola, etc. Moreover, Dr. Blinder testified that when "susceptible individuals" like White consume "large quantities of what we call junk food, high sugar content food with lots of preservatives can precipitate anti-social and even violent behavior." However, what is now forgotten is that the defense did not rely solely on the "Twinkie" theory; four other psychiatrists also testified for the defense, uniformly agreeing that White suffered from depression to such a degree that he possessed diminished capacity at the time of the killing and could not premeditate or deliberate."

And if they did, I would want details! We're not talking about you - Kidding!

Seriously, for Kio to be believable I would have liked to hear a few substantiating questions asked - it's harder to lie when you're asked about the details imo.
Wasn't she supposed to come back to be interviewed but she never showed up? Or was that someone else? She lost credibility in my eyes when she recanted the whole "Casey called to borrow money from me" story. Then it was a different friend who asked to borrow money. Then it was her bf refusing to hand over phone records. Yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmyann4141