2010.03.18 KC's indigency hearing #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheney Mason is one tough, experienced Defense Attorney! He is probably one of the best, if not the best, in Orlando. To put it simply, he is everything that JB is NOT :)

I was particularly struck by JB's body language and answer when CM asked him if he as the 'lead Counsel'. JB hesitated, rolled his eyes a little, made a face and said 'for all intents and purposes'. JB is not a happy camper now a days. He has to know that he is going to wind up sitting pretty far back at the defense table. I think that might be why Judge Strickland did not cut the defense much slack at all today. He knows CM, may have even presided over a few trial where CM was lead counsel. He will now expect the defense to know what they are doing - and hold them to it. He was not pleased when CM tried to imply a 'friendship' with him.

Oh, yeah, things just got a lot more interesting with CM on board. Of course he is doing this Pro Bono - it's a lot cheaper than buying ad time on TV or space in the Yellow Pages or newspaper.

That Law needs to be changed.CAYLEE"S LAW
IF MONEY IS MADE OFF THE DECEASED VICTIM FOR PICTURES OR ANYTHING ELSE RELATED TO THE VICTIM IT IS TO BE DEPOSITED IN A TRUST UNTIL THE TRIAL IS OVER.THEN AND ONLY THEN MONEY CAN BE DISBURSED TO THE VICTIM'S FAMILY AS LONG AS THEY HAVE CLEAN HANDS..

By Letting KC have :twocents:eek:f monies paid to her by her VICTIM IS NUTS :banghead:

CAYLEE PAID THE ULTIMATE PRICE THEN SHE PAID HER KILLERS DEFENSE.:furious::furious::furious::furious:

Quote Respect mikeysmommom :)

Yes! ITA.

...jmo...

I think once CM sits down and READS the discovery so far, look out. He will use his contacts to sniff out a plea. He is established so it is not the same thing as Baez. I, for various reasons, have involvement with a fair-sized section of my area's legal defense community. Once you have made your bones and have what you think is a guilty client on your hands, PLEA.
DISCLAIMER: I am not LE or in the legal profession in any way. I did a lot of time in a few different places until God delivered me from my penchant for drugs.

I agree, for the most part. I don't mean this disrepectfully at all, but Mason is no young hungry lawyer needing to build a reputation. It is my understanding he is already pretty well established in the Central FL area. He doesn't NEED the free publicity and I don't believe he is making an appearance based on morality. This whole thing smells big time to me. IF he is death-qualified, this would give JB and AL an out....and maybe he could convince the State to put that plea bargain back on the table.

So who died and made C. Mason the boss of this outfit? :banghead: :banghead:

JB has to have a "back up lawyer" because he sure as he$$ don't know what he is doing!

On tru tv mr mason did concede that JB is first chair and he is only doing what JB asks him to do.:banghead:

I was searching the thread between work to see if they say how KC paid up front. They said the deal with ABC? I thought that deal was with the A's and KC said she paid "herself" in her affidavit.??

Dream Team: You all agreed to represent this murderer Pro-Bono.....then frickin do that!!!!!!!!! Do you really expect to get paid expenses and such (computers!!!????) all of a sudden? I think NOT

Secondly, did anyone else notice how angry Casey got after Jose testified that the backpack full of pics sold to ABC was Casey's deal? Casey grabbed her little yellow legal pad and wrote something. Wonder what it was? It looked as if the pen was going to make marks through the pad and onto the desk!!! GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRR PS: Seeing Casey go ggggrrrrrrr really, really makes my day :eek:)

How great would it be if when JS rules on this he plops a crate of oranges on the desk and says "We'll pay for her defense. Here ya go."

Maybe we should all send in an orange saying it's to contribute to her defense fund.

THIS is a GREAT idea! Kinda like how the pizzas were sent when KC was out on bail, bahahahahahahaha!!!!

All I can say is..for someone as obsessed with their looks as KC is, she sure does make some weird/stupid faces in reaction to certain things

I was AMAZED that certain parties figured a couple sheets of paper saying "SPENT: All of it. ITEMS: Law stuff" Then same parties get indignant and righteous as if that was not good enough. I guess I am one of those uneducated*, poorly informed folks with the audacity to expect more than a "Take our word for it, it got spent". How about WHERE did the money come from in the FIRST place?

*B.S. in InfoSci, MCSE. I try to avoid math-based snobbery towards "write another paper" majors :)

JAC wants full financial disclosure and an accounting of funds spent thus far. Per Natisha Lance.

Yes, and don't they have 5 days to get it to JS? And doesn't the defense have to file any motions within 15 days to prevent it from being released and doesn't the media need to be contacted so they can have a voice in the matter?

That's what I heard and I didn't think it has anything to do with the secret evidence.

On tru tv mr mason did concede that JB is first chair and he is only doing what JB asks him to do.:banghead:

Quote Respect Sdavidson :)

Yes. That is what I heard also. When the reporter for TruTV said something to the effect of "talk to you about this later" Mr. Mason said that JB was the lead atty and that he(mr. mason)was just doing what JB had asked him to do.

So all in all what did we discover today?

The defense EXPEXTED the judge to take them IN CAMERA for details of the money trail. That was NOT what the judge decided was prudent. He said-Nope we do this here in open court! The defense scrambled and went and had a meeting and wanted to take their client with them, and the judge said NO CAN DO! The rules are not made by the judge and are not to be broken by the judge. SO while they had their scramble to figure out what the heck to tell in OPEN COURT with cameras rolling, Casey was taken back to her little locked room to wait...and wait...and wait...

Upon resuming, we dicovered that for the FEW appearances that Ms. Lyons has made and for whatever motions she has worked on and equipment and computers, etc, and blah blah hedge blah she spent $70,000.00, $22,500.00 of which was provided from defense funds, the remainder raised BY her in her "clinic" at DePaul. She states she has in over 1,000 hours.

Jose paid himself fees of $89,000.00 for his work. He states he has in over 2,500 hours. (When I do the math on that it just seems a little far fetched that he has THAT many hours in...I mean, people have to sleep and bathe and eat, right? lol) None of what he paid himself was for anything other than HIM and his pay-because he has to be so devoted to this case he is unable to take many other cases! (Mr. Hornsby told us Mr. Baez practice is BUZZING and BUSY so this is obviously a big fat LIE Jose told under oath!)

Some random person whom they did not ever identify gave $5,000.00 because that person wanted to be a "donor" to the case? hmmm...

One of the attorneys contributed $70,000.00 because he wanted to contribute to the defense...what?

AND the biggie $200,000.00 of BLOOD MONEY was paid by none other than ABC your friendly neighborhood network!

A new death penalty qualified attorney was added-Mason Cheney, and he is, uhm, rowdy to say the least, and downright rude if you get down to it.

The JAC is bucking against the defense.

Lindy Kenny Baden is working for free and has not received a dime.

Casey does not have a dime left to her name.

The secret info is NOT about the new mistress but rather about letters Miss Thang was writing to inamates and had a county employee assisting her in this conraband communication.

Jose has 15 days to get it square and then it is going PUBLIC!

Jose has to file some itemized details with the court about what money has gone where.

AND

George and Cindy are not acting like they like each other very much...lol

:clap: :clap: :clap:

This post should be stickied for anyone who wasn't around and doesn't want to weed through 36 pages. :blowkiss:

JAC wants full financial disclosure and an accounting of funds spent thus far. Per Natisha Lance.

It boggles the mind that these suppossedly intelligent and well educated think they can just show up in court and say that all the money is gone and now we want the State to foot the bill, without coming in with an account of how monies have been spent thus far. What did they think the court would ask?? It is yet another example of how "unprepared" and thoughtless they are, espceially of the court's time. Some one on that team had to know that they would have to show an acounting and source of the funds to date.(&^%$

They are asking that the State of Florida just provide them money, for a "defense" of someone the rest of the world knows is guilty. Yes everyone deserves a fair trial . . .
From now on, they will have to begin the accounting of where the money is going. Who knows if they really did much tracking of the funds up till now.JMO

Okay this is very interesting to me. At the last, when JS gives the defense 5 days to submit a motion to ask the court if they can continue to withhold this new discovery from the public, Mason says "we suspect there is privileged communication involved" or something to that effect.

The only privileged relationship I can think of regarding the defense would be DC. So that leads me to believe this is not about the sisters and their claims at all (which would have little bearing on the case ultimately to begin with). This makes me think that DC has come forward and flipped and JB now has something else to do besides dummying up records.

I think it was also interesting that we found out the total received by the defense so far is $275K and that, other than AL's $22K+ in expenses, JB can't account for anything. The fact that all the attorneys are supposedly working pro bono, but JB has managed to squander $250K without any documentation is very enlightening. It's not good form to declare your client indigent if you have pocketed $250K for your own fees and otherwise have no itemized accounting for how it was spent on the CASE.

And let's not forget the $ 70,000 that AL said, she got from her clinic. That brings the total to $ 345,000.00.

I was AMAZED that certain parties figured a couple sheets of paper saying "SPENT: All of it. ITEMS: Law stuff" Then same parties get indignant and righteous as if that was not good enough. I guess I am one of those uneducated*, poorly informed folks with the audacity to expect more than a "Take our word for it, it got spent". How about WHERE did the money come from in the FIRST place?

*B.S. in InfoSci, MCSE. I try to avoid math-based snobbery towards "write another paper" majors :)

BBM: very nice TM. We should add Mason asking JSS, "Don't you trust me?"
mwahahahaha

Did he not say that when he was talking about himself? Lordie, I was sure I heard that. Am I mistaken?

He very well may have! Between this thread, the live WESH stream and truTV, I couldn't juggle fast enough. :rotfl:

Hey guys, late getting here.
Here is what I predict

1. ) The money Todd paid will need to be returned to Todd since that much and more is allegedly missing from his clients trust account.

2.) The judge is making Baez itemize the costs he has spent

3.) The judge is going to order experts are to be sought out in Florida if at all possible, regardless there will be a cap on what they are paid.

4. ) Mr. Mason has a real law firm with a real staff and from now on motions will be correct on the facts, and correct on the law, personalities aside.

5. ) Andrea will bow out gracefully within three months

6.) Mr. Baez is in big big trouble over brokering the ABC deal and testifying today he did not.

I am not a lawyer, but it is fun to guess.

Mom and Pop are dunzo!

It is all good!!

AND still we wonder where the other $112,500 of the cash was spent. Jose worked 312 eight hour days on nothing but Casey so far? Uhhhhh, try to do the math BEFORE you get to the court room. Believe it or not, there are some people involved in the legal process that actually CHECK statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member