2010.06.30 - KATU Confirming TH posting in its Comments Section

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
honestly I think she has more things to worry about at this point than to worry about wether they confirmed she is who she said she was KWIM.

like I said....scroll up. They're posted. Automattic is separate, optional and requires a separate check. I know b/c I went (almost) through the registration process to confirm.

that said, what's with all the concern about the privacy of who's posting on public forums. Nothing to hide, no worries....right?

Innocent till proven guilty - why shouldn't she be provided the same as other posters which is the ability to post somewhat anonymously?

I am shocked at this story.

First there is no way KATU can say with 100 percent certainty that this is Terri posting. All it means is someone was using the same computer to send the email (which apparently was Terri's email) and to post. There is no way to tell who is on the keyboard at the time of the posting or the email.

I do believe it is more than likely all Terri but still, you would think a news site would be a bit more careful with their accusations.

I understand that Terri was posting as herself and this is KATU confirming it came from the same IP as her email. I get it but it still bothers me.

Just FYI there are times when major case players post on Websleuths. We would never "out" anyone unless they did it themselves. We only find out if they tell us.

Most of the time we have no idea who is posting on our site as far as people involved in the cases. I have pretty good ideas who is on WS at times from certain camps causing trouble but can't prove it.

Just one more FYI, we do turn over IP's to LE with a subpoena.

Innocent till proven guilty - why shouldn't she be provided the same as other posters which is the ability to post somewhat anonymously?

She is. No one on those comments is even the slightest bit anonymous. Here's what you're signing up for. No surprise to me...I can't really believe it's a surprise to anyone else :::shrug:::. But, like I said, nothing to hide, no worries.

_________sbm

A. INFORMATION THAT YOU PROVIDE TO US:
Because our Site may offer message boards, conversation pages, chat rooms or other public forums inviting public participation through user submissions, you may choose to provide a user submission. When you do so you might be providing personal information that may be posted publicly or otherwise disclosed without limitation as to its use by a third party. We cannot protect your privacy for your user submissions, and we cannot guarantee your anonymity. We reserve the right to disclose information regarding user submissions pursuant to this Policy.

http://www.katu.com/about/privacy/96197384.html

Really, I don't know what the big deal is. She used a name that most people knew was associated with her. It doesn't seem like she was trying to hide, in spite of speaking in the third person. If she really wanted to be anonymous she would have used a name not known to be one she used.

In 3 out of the 5 posts, she spoke in the first person, and in one of those she was clearly identifying herself. It was a response to another post which apparently had speculated about something she was doing, and her post confirmed that the original poster was right about what "I" was doing.

If anyone is worried about their anonymity then they should NEVER post on the Internet.

Once you leave that digital address somewhere on the net you anonymity could be gone.

In the past posters have asked me to guarantee their anonymity. There is no way I can ever do that.

If you don't want to be found then keep off the net.

I hope she hasn't been doing a lot of phone calls or texting either. Casey Anthony practically handed her case to LE because she could not shut her mouth or stay off of her cellphone. I really hope TH was smarter than that.

I have read a bunch of your intelligent posts, so this one I don't understand. I certainly do hope that if Terri Horman has harmed Kyron that she babbles up a storm of posts and hands LE a case, I do.

:confused:

I am shocked at this story.

First there is no way KATU can say with 100 percent certainty that this is Terri posting. All it means is someone was using the same computer to send the email (which apparently was Terri's email) and to post. There is no way to tell who is on the keyboard at the time of the posting or the email.

I do believe it is more than likely all Terri but still, you would think a news site would be a bit more careful with their accusations.

I understand that Terri was posting as herself and this is KATU confirming it came from the same IP as her email. I get it but it still bothers me.

Just FYI there are times when major case players post on Websleuths. We would never "out" anyone unless they did it themselves. We only find out if they tell us.

Most of the time we have no idea who is posting on our site as far as people involved in the cases. I have pretty good ideas who is on WS at times from certain camps causing trouble but can't prove it.

Just one more FYI, we do turn over IP's to LE with a subpoena.

Tricia, have you really examined what happened here? She DID identify herself on their public forum. They did not give out any information about her identity beyond what she had claimed on their public forum. They explained exactly what evidence they had to support HER claim, and how they got it -- via an e-mail address which they had, but did NOT disclose, and the trace of that e-mail address to an internet profile site which they did NOT identify or link to. All they did was explain what reason they have to believe that the poster in question is in fact who SHE said was in the posts.

By the way, they did not say anything about any IP address, unless they've since deleted that from their article. It's possible they did some additional confirmation work that they aren't mentioning (e.g. maybe communicating with the host domain of the e-mail address to inquire if there was any evidence that the account security might have been compromised), but they didn't mention anything in their article besides the undisclosed e-mail address and the fact that they traced that e-mail address to an undisclosed professional internet profile site.

I may as well just come clean and admit it before any of you sleuth me out. I am, in fact, Bo Derrick. Y'all caught me.

If anyone is worried about their anonymity then they should NEVER post on the Internet.

Once you leave that digital address somewhere on the net you anonymity could be gone.

In the past posters have asked me to guarantee their anonymity. There is no way I can ever do that.

If you don't want to be found then keep off the net.

I totally agree Tricia its almost like Casey expecting privacy in jail. If you want privacy stay out of jail. If you dont want people to know who you are stay off the puter.

Nice to meet you Bo, my name is Angelina Jolie... LOL

Fine. I'd take John Corbett over Brad Pitt any day. :D

(BTW, I promised Kimster I'd be as cowbell-y as possible to keep things from getting tense, so just think of me as your jester for this evening.)

I may as well just come clean and admit it before any of you sleuth me out. I am, in fact, Bo Derrick. Y'all caught me.

Like we didn't already know (the braids gave you away!). :dance:

Obeying? When the weight of the world is on your shoulders you shouldn't be criticized for trying to defend yourself the only way you can. Also, how is posting on a news board a mistake? She had a reasonable expectation of privacy just like we all do here and should not have been outed in the media.

Privacy expectations when willfully posting on a public website, and posting unreported information like WHY the truck was towed; the starter was having issues?

eh

Sorry I'm not going to cry for her. I mean why is she even wasting time reading website comments and responding when her step child is missing?

She is. No one on those comments is even the slightest bit anonymous. Here's what you're signing up for. No surprise to me...I can't really believe it's a surprise to anyone else :::shrug:::. But, like I said, nothing to hide, no worries.

_________sbm

A. INFORMATION THAT YOU PROVIDE TO US:
Because our Site may offer message boards, conversation pages, chat rooms or other public forums inviting public participation through user submissions, you may choose to provide a user submission. When you do so you might be providing personal information that may be posted publicly or otherwise disclosed without limitation as to its use by a third party. We cannot protect your privacy for your user submissions, and we cannot guarantee your anonymity. We reserve the right to disclose information regarding user submissions pursuant to this Policy.

http://www.katu.com/about/privacy/96197384.html

I've seen that, and I posted the house rules too - I think they broke their own house rules

~SNIP
Because our Site may offer message boards, conversation pages, chat rooms or other public forums inviting public participation through user submissions, you may choose to provide a user submission. When you do so you might be providing personal information that may be posted publicly or otherwise disclosed without limitation as to its use by a third party. We cannot protect your privacy for your user submissions, and we cannot guarantee your anonymity. We reserve the right to disclose information regarding user submissions pursuant to this Policy. ~~

http://www.katu.com/about/privacy

Right there it is, you have no privacy on their site.

I hope she hasn't been doing a lot of phone calls or texting either. Casey Anthony practically handed her case to LE because she could not shut her mouth or stay off of her cellphone. I really hope TH was smarter than that.

Sorry, if I am getting this wrong...but you "hope TH was smarter than that" :waitasec:

She has not even been named a Person of Interest by LE, let alone been arrested. They could have shared the info with the police and still kept her information private. I personally think this is setting a bad precedent.

Just my lil' ol' humble opinion.

Wasn't her username the same name as her license plate? I mean "expectation of privacy"......hmmm....then don't have a screen name the same as your license plate.....

I really don't think she was trying to hide her identity even a little bit.

As for confirming her identity with the public, that should have taken a little more thought before doing...for sure.

Especially when they identified themselves in the posts! Really, I just don't get what all the posters here see as the problem.

I have a reasonable expectation that WebSleuths management won't pull my real name (or e-mail address which contains my name) out of their private database and spray it out on the public forum. But if I identify myself on the forum, then I see no reason why they shouldn't post on the public forum that they've confirmed I really am who I said I was.

KATU was faced with a self-identified poster who either really was who she said she was, or was falsely posing as a key figure in a very high profile criminal investigation. They probably got plenty of inquiries (quite possibly including from LE) as to whether this poster really was who she said she was. It was totally responsible for them to use the non-public registration information (without making *that* information public) to confirm this, and then either confirm it publicly, or delete all the posts as presumed to have been made by an impostor.

If you don't want your real identity publicly revealed and connected to internet posts you made, you'd be well-advised to start by not giving out your real identity in the posts!

well said!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member