2011.04.16 48 Hours: Only Casey Knows

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks to all for the updates on the show. Didn't watch it, instead:

We watched Toy Story 3 along with Toy Story and Toy Story 2 while ICA watched the three cement walls and the plexiglass wall of her cell last night being frustrated by the hearing Friday.

We had popcorn while ICA had whatever her commissary purchased junk food was still in her possession.

I thought this show was a waste, a huge waste.

That being said I want to admit that I have been on several mock juries in the central Florida area before.

My thoughts:

The mock juries I participated in were conducted by Defense attorneys prior to their case going to trial. The jurors merely answered want ads in the newspaper and called a number and after a few questions were told if they qualify.

I went to the attorney's office and then to a room set up like a courtroom. We were all given lots of food, snacks, non alcoholic beverages and were treated very well. There was discussion about the case and some evidence was presented and then we were asked lots of questions and then told to debate.

This was done in the evening after work and a time limit was given and this whole thing took about 3 hours from start to me walking out the door with my check of $100 for partipating.

On my jury there were many who did this all the time for the $ as they were unemployed or just needed the extra money. A few, like me, were just curious.

Although I felt it was interesting and I felt somewhat important to do it, it was not real and my decision was made much more lightly than if it was an actual trial.

So... this 48 hours junk report showed a jury that was not death qualified , had people getting paid to talk, have fun, joke around, eat and drink and be told that they would be on national TV and were paid. They also had to sign lots of waivers and contracts for this appearance.

They were not given real jury instructions or shown autopsy photos or presented all evidence. Most importantly, it was not a real trial and the seriousness of actually making a life and death decision was not there.

I also believe that what the "dream on" team wanted was to get out the idea that "lesser charges" are a better verdict.

That was what was shown in the last few minutes and also that the judge will allow this as part of the jury instructions.

They are trying to get ICA from being found quilty of the 1st Degree Murder charge as that is what will give her the death penalty.

One last thought, was LKB threatening the judge, before he even made a decision on admitting critical evidence, that if he did allow it in it would be an appeal issue?

The threatening way she said it and the fact that a defense team member was paid (whether in $ or publicity) to conduct a fake jury on national TV is unethical for both CBS and members of the Florida Bar.

I thought this show was a waste, a huge waste.

That being said I want to admit that I have been on several mock juries in the central Florida area before.

My thoughts:

The mock juries I participated in were conducted by Defense attorneys prior to their case going to trial. The jurors merely answered want ads in the newspaper and called a number and after a few questions were told if they qualify.

I went to the attorney's office and then to a room set up like a courtroom. We were all given lots of food, snacks, non alcoholic beverages and were treated very well. There was discussion about the case and some evidence was presented and then we were asked lots of questions and then told to debate.

This was done in the evening after work and a time limit was given and this whole thing took about 3 hours from start to me walking out the door with my check of $100 for partipating.

On my jury there were many who did this all the time for the $ as they were unemployed or just needed the extra money. A few, like me, were just curious.

Although I felt it was interesting and I felt somewhat important to do it, it was not real and my decision was made much more lightly than if it was an actual trial.

So... this 48 hours junk report showed a jury that was not death qualified , had people getting paid to talk, have fun, joke around, eat and drink and be told that they would be on national TV and were paid. They also had to sign lots of waivers and contracts for this appearance.

They were not given real jury instructions or shown autopsy photos or presented all evidence. Most importantly, it was not a real trial and the seriousness of actually making a life and death decision was not there.

I also believe that what the "dream on" team wanted was to get out the idea that "lesser charges" are a better verdict.

That was what was shown in the last few minutes and also that the judge will allow this as part of the jury instructions.

They are trying to get ICA from being fround quilty of the 1st Degree Murder charge as that is what will give her the death penalty.

One last thought, was LKB threatening the judge, before he even made a decision on admitting critical evidence, that if he did allow it in it would be an appeal issue?

The threatening way she said it and the fact that a defense team member was paid (whether in $ or publicity) to conduct a fake jury on national TV is unethical for both CBS and members of the Florida Bar.

And, don't forget - the so called mock jury was only given ONE side of the story.

That part of the show was a joke, a huge joke!

MOO

Mel

I watched this morn, and think the DT is pretty much going the acicdental death route, and that ICA had such a troubled childhood (ie, molestation) she knew she would be in a world of hurt if she told c or g. So troubled that after this accident, she went to great lengths to cover up the crime, er, accident (whatever you want to call it). She felt so bad that she couldn't dispose of Caylee that she drove around in the trunk with her for 3 or so days, and eventually put that heart shaped sticker on the duct tape as a final "I love U".

Some type of diminished capacity defense IMHO.

I don't think it'll work. . . .

mel

To quote HHJP, Florida does not allow a diminished mental capacity as a defense. Whoops Baez, can you climb out of that pothole on your own?

The very idea that the DT could have enough compelling evidence that could sway a mock jury of Orlando folks who were ready to convict is not only laughable, it is insulting. Were we supposed to believe that these mock jurors were shown evidence that won't come out until trial? And that even though the DT wants the media tossed out of the courtroom, we are being teased that we will just have to wait and watch to see what brilliance they have been hiding?
Are they still floating the idea that JB has a AHA! in that pocketsquare?
And her story about conducting her own investigation will blow up as soon as SA asks TL, who knew everyone at Fusion, if she ever mentioned to him looking for this nanny.

YUP. Baez made a big point of saying that there is a " Very compelling reason" for the 31 days and he will tell us during the trial.

What 'compelling' reason could there be?

YUP. Baez made a big point of saying that there is a " Very compelling reason" for the 31 days and he will tell us during the trial.

Casey had parties to go to!

BBM - I was not aware that Caylee was not welcome there. I have not ever heard this before. Explain please.

I see. So, it wasn't that she wasn't welcome at all. TL was trying to make ICA aware as to why she shouldn't be there.

I do remember this now.

When I watched the show I felt they left out a lot of important information - for example, they mention that after high school, Casey got a job at Universal. (Conveniently leaving out: (1) that she never graduated from high school, but lied about it, (2) she was terminated from her job at Universal for not showing up, lied to everyone about still working there, and even took the police to her non-existent office to look for her non-existent work phone to get her non-existent nanny's phone number, (3) since she didn't have a job, she had to steal from friends and family to survive). They played one phone call from jail, where Casey said she didn't care what people said because she knew it wasn't true, but left out the highly-revealing ones where she only wanted Tony's phone number and complained that people only wanted to find Caylee and were offering out rewards that were half her bail money.

I do have to say that it would be pretty hard to look at those photos of Casey partying at Fusion and not believe that she was cold-hearted and callous enough to kill her child.

Tink

She's probably told her DT she was threatened by someone and try to pin it on GA. That's the only thing that would make me hesitate (for a minute) anyway.

Obviously this was filmed before the motions heard on Friday. So if the DT wants to now show that it was an accident...how do they do that??? Does ICA have to take the stand or can DT state this? Or do they have to bring in witness that will say they know first hand it was indeed in accident?

He really is foolish. I mean really, so his client has been sitting in jail for almost 3 years, but she has a "compelling" reason for not telling anyone. Do we have a "duh" smiley? :waitasec: :giggle:

The :clock: is ticking, Mr. Baez. You better think up another :idea:. :violin: :nuts:

The punishment should fit the crime.
Susan Smith seems to be flourishing in prison, even managed to get 'friendly' with 2 guards. Those are the ones we found out about, probably there are more. I hear she's getting an education too..
Casey will become the quintessential jailhouse lawyer. LOL

Pam Bondi said the PC searches for Chloroform and then later How to make
Chloroform and neck breaking all go to prove premeditation. I feel sure they have ICA's/CA/GA's cell pings from that date that prove she was the only one at home at that time. They did show JB saying those searches meant nothing, they didn't even know who made them.... he may have to eat those words.
Interesting to note...there really hasn't been any mention of the "pings" which I think will be pivotal in establishing where Casey was during the month she was MIA...including when she was at home.

I just hope that after all this over and done--that no one pays a dime to Cindy and George to get their word on anything. I hope they go away and I never see them again. I am so sick of her chomping on her cud and her lies.

I'm sure Cindy will be on GMA, various Orlando new stations etc. saying Casey should have never gotten the death penalty because Casey is innocent or some sort of crap like that.

BE PREPARED FOR IT!!!

I 100% trust Judge Perry that he will make the right choice when it comes to sentencing MOTY.

Thank God I'm not a witness in this trial; I'd have a few choice words i'd say to Casey after I got off the stand. (Don't care if I went to jail or not)

BBM

B/c she's an innocent young girl who wouldn't think to blow her nose without someone older and wiser reminding her.

If there is one thing juries have shown since the times of Lizzie Borden, they do seem to dislike convicting white chicks of evil intent (unless it involves seducing a man into doing something on their behalf).

Heaven bless the equal rights movement! I for one want to see ICA strike a blow for equality by earning a sturdy conviction worthy of any man.

Well stated. this was a last-ditch effort to garner public sympathy for Casey Anthony. The only way to do this is to portray her as a dumb, wayward "young girl" who so lacked any sense of responsibility or reality that she invented that wacky Zanny as a means of escape.
The poor kid may have been molested at some point. While her family wasn't resonsible, she shifted the blame and distrust to them. She was so unhappy and felt so cheated out of her young adulthood that she sought validation through sexual relationships. In spite of her parents' best intentions and support and her great love for Caylee, having a toddler was a huge burden with which she had no way of coping. Tragically, the burden of being sheltered and fragile and lovely and sorta dumb was just too much for poor, poor Casey Anthony. She snapped. A fugue ensued.

-or-

did anyone catch the brief but ominous note that sounded when Cindy mentioned the "friends" that Casey hadn't seen in a long time? Perhaps poor Casey was swept up in a great wave of peer pressure that washed away all sound judgement.

Whatever. It's all that they have to go with, really. Poor Casey indeed.

Just wanted to add a thought. I didn't read the entire thread, and didn't watch the show, either, but I have read so many comments regarding the whole thing.

Why blast 48 Hours or CBS for airing this program? It's not going to affect the outcome of the trial one bit. Anyone who has followed this case knows that Casey doesn't stand a chance of an acquittal, but it might keep her from getting the death penalty, and I don't think that's a bad thing. LWOP would be fine with me. She's very young... imagine knowing you would be locked in a cell for the rest of your life, with pictures of your dead child taped to the cement walls, and facing nightmares every night. Never again being allowed to party or have real friends or live the Good Life. And trying to avoid bumping into Big Bertha. I think that would be a pretty horrible future for someone like Casey.
JMO and all that.

1. LWOP would not be worse for ICA. She wouldn't be bothered with pictures of her dead child. She's been looking at them for almost 3 years now and I don't see any remorse nor do I think she ever will. The only thing she regrets is getting caught.

2. She's already establishing ways to "manipulate" in prison according to some of the depos from fellow inmates. She can't stop! She's a born manipulator and a diabolical liar. Upcoming witnesses can attest to that.

The most horrible future for someone like Casey is to HAVE NO FUTURE. The end. Just like what was imposed on her daughter no matter the how or manner of which she got there.

I have been thinking: isn't it pretty bad for the defense team when you have complete control over what evidence the mock jury hears, and they don't come back with 'stone-cold innocent'? I mean, this is the best they can do with NO prosecution evidence, no cross examination, no rebuttal? That's pretty bleak for the defense.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackojohnnie
Back