2011.05.09 - Jury Selection Day One

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa - done with the jury selection for the day - moving on to compel production of the data base. (Dr. Vass)

#65 1123 male

hardship - trip to keys for son's graduation june 13-16 (planned for months) put doen deposits

subect to recall

CM is the grinch, taking away the son's grad gift...I would have said I have been anticipating it for 12 years, lolol.

Baez on the hot seat again. Being questions about database. hmmmm

I know that is my point. I thought we would lose most during that part not the this first round.

Yea, me too.
Look at the Rowan Ford case, they tried seating a change of venue jury 200 miles away for the Chris Collings trial. The time of the trial is approx. 3 weeks. Hardship did not seem to be the problem. They could not find a jury who was not familiar with the case and had already formed an opinion they could not put aside or weren't for the dp so a mis-trial was declared. Rowan's case is not near as popular as Caylee's and has never been on the national news AFAIK. The trial is now set to start in Feb. 2012. Rowan has been gone 3 1/2 yrs. There are 2 defendants in her case being tried seperately facing the dp. People think Caylee's case is a nightmare and has drug on too long, Rowan's has went on far longer.

Collings' trial was supposed to begin April 25, but the judge declared a mistrial during jury selection, two days before opening arguments were scheduled. There weren't enough qualified potential jurors out of the pool of 200citizens, because they knew too much or had already formed opinions about the case or about the possible use of a death penalty.

http://articles.ky3.com/2011-05-03/collings-trial_29501415

It's very easy to find. The very beginning of the first video.
Not a DEAL ,but a standard question for the record.

Can we put this to bed everyone?:seeya:

Thanks. I posted before I saw yours.

Question, is anyone compiling a chart with the numbers and some characteristics of the jurors who have not been excused? We had that fillable calendar showing the timeline of the case. We could do that with jury selection so some of us can pour over the potential jurors with ease and decide who we would prefer. I don't think I have the time for that. At least not on a daily basis. But if we had a fillable chart in a separate thread, then more people can add to the chart. What do you guys think and how can we do it? I'll prepare the chart and thread if I can figure out how to do it and if there is interest!

Just thinking out loud here.............. Wouldn't the process of selecting a jury be more streamlined if the potential jurors were screened and those with financial hardships, health concerns, or family obligations (care-givers), eliminated prior to being sent into the courtroom for questioning?

I would think that pre-screening potential jurors and eliminating those unable to serve because of financial hardship, health concerns, or family obligations, would shorten the process considerably.

Just thinking out loud here.............. Wouldn't the process of selecting a jury be more streamlined if the potential jurors were screened and those with financial hardships, health concerns, or family obligations (care-givers), eliminated prior to being sent into the courtroom for questioning?

I would think that pre-screening potential jurors and eliminating those unable to serve because of financial hardship, health concerns, or family obligations, would shorten the process considerably.

I totally agree! The last time I had jury duty, that is exactly what they did!

I wish HHJP would include a qualifier in his questions to the potential jurors (such as UNDUE hardship), rather than just ask if it would present a hardship. There are few, if any, people that wouldn't suffer a hardship by being sequestered for six to eight weeks.

It would shorten the process, but I believe the judge is being careful and questioning them purposely. He doesn't want "hostile" jurors in his courtroom. He's being lenient, definitely.

I'm shocked so many potentials wanted out. If they get on the jury, they could write a book, they'd get on TV shows (and get paid), etc. I'm just surprised.

I would certainly think so Leila..and make them sign some sort of affidavit which they could be legally found in contempt IF LYING...It sure would be common sensical for this process indeed!!

The usual whiteangora - someone asks a question - no one answers it and it then takes off as being something else. I have answered this question three times saying no - State did not offer a plea deal - it is a standard court question before jury selection.....:great:

THANK YOU! And thanks to the posters who alerted the mistaken post.

THIS is exactly why WS requires links for such things.

Until we have MSM info reporting PLEASE do not post things like this without a link to back it up.

Yea, me too.
Look at the Rowan Ford case, they tried seating a change of venue jury 200 miles away for the Chris Collings trial. The time of the trial is approx. 3 weeks. Hardship did not seem to be the problem. They could not find a jury who was not familiar with the case and had already formed an opinion they could not put aside or weren't for the dp so a mis-trial was declared. Rowan's case is not near as popular as Caylee's and has never been on the national news AFAIK. The trial is now set to start in Feb. 2012. Rowan has been gone 3 1/2 yrs. There are 2 defendants in her case being tried seperately facing the dp. People think Caylee's case is a nightmare and has drug on too long, Rowan's has went on far longer.

Collings' trial was supposed to begin April 25, but the judge declared a mistrial during jury selection, two days before opening arguments were scheduled. There weren't enough qualified potential jurors out of the pool of 200citizens, because they knew too much or had already formed opinions about the case or about the possible use of a death penalty.

http://articles.ky3.com/2011-05-03/collings-trial_29501415

Oh gosh! Don't scare me!

Someone else mentioned serving jury duty and undergoing a process just as you suggested. I seem to recall undergoing a similar process once when I had jury duty. We filled out a form and then some official outside the courtroom read the forms and excused tons of potential jurors as a result.

Perhaps, but I believe this inquiry is on the record to ensure that well, it's on the record - nobody popping up later with hardship and no appeals based on not inquiring as the the nature of the hardships - on the record. Probably the long way, but we usually don't get to see this part.

They send you a summons through your drivers license, they have no idea who you are until you go up there. If you are disabled or have small children then you check the box and send back the form. You are automatically dismissed.

My, HHJP, just raised himself even higher in my mind this man has patience beyond Job!!!

If JB started in on this after a day like this and "I" were judge...geez...watch out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
70DaysofSilence