2011.05.10 - Sidebar Thread (Jury Selection Day Two)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to think that something nearly exactly like this will be in effect from this point forward

The problem is that there are jurors in the pool that may well have been tainted by this "chit-chat" and speculation

The problem is that there are jurors in the pool that may well have been tainted by this "chit-chat" and speculation

Quite - especially in light of the local papers and other media today. Nevertheless, preventing chit chat in the jury room will at the very least prevent those "untainted" jurors from falling under the spell so-to-speak.

Good grief UK - it's 2 am! (there) ;-)

Putting it all together. If that particular potential juror/potential witness had not tainted the pool of 50, we would still be on track.

A fresh pool of potentials will be there tomorrow, and Thursday, and Friday.

There will be "things" in place to prevent a replay of what happened today.

IMO the DT will ask tomorrow first thing for a continuance. IMO CJBP will deny it.

We will continue tomorrow with a fresh pool of jurors and the call-backs from Monday will return. The pool will continue to widen and deepen.

This is all my non-legal opinion. That being said, I do not envy CJBP his job right now.

Are these articles describing the SAME person?

According to Judge Perry, a Texas Equusearch volunteer whose name is on the witness list was called to jury duty Tuesday at the Pinellas County Courthouse, and talked to Tuesday's jury pool about the case.

How could a witness in an upcoming trial be called for jury duty? The judge said jurors are summoned based on their driver's license numbers, so there was no way they could have expected that to happen. (http://www.baynews9.com/article/new...ed-jury-pool-sent-home-for-talking-about-case)

and

Patricia Young of St. Petersburg is the woman who was shoved by George Anthony in front of his house. She told WFTV she wanted to press charges against him, but Young later changed her mind.

Young was just deposed by the defense and was singled out to talk to Perry, because she's wasn't only called for jury duty in the case she was also called as a witness. (http://www.wftv.com/news/27835684/detail.html)

can someone help me out here?

Sorry, could be the meds. I just woke up and was closing out my feed.
I saw this and thought CHOREOGRAPHY!!!

Attachments

• kvjb.jpg
    kvjb.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 56
Putting it all together. If that particular potential juror/potential witness had not tainted the pool of 50, we would still be on track.

IMO the DT will ask tomorrow first thing for a continuance. IMO CJBP will deny it.

We will continue tomorrow with a fresh pool of jurors and the call-backs from Monday will return. The pool will continue to widen and deepen.

This is all my non-legal opinion. That being said, I do not envy CJBP his job right now.

I agree and I am almost certain that this afternoon CJBP said they will also continue on Saturday.

Did I "mis-hear" or didn't the judge also ask or say he was gonna submit for a full pool next Monday too, if the kind folks there will permit them to overstay their welcome (or if they are still welcome)....paraphrase, btw.

Regarding all the hand wringing over the selection of the jury:

This is from the Scott Peterson trial in 2004.

Jury Pool Picked for Peterson Murder Trial
May 21, 2004|From Times Wire Reports

"Jury selection in Scott Peterson's double-murder trial reached a milestone Thursday as the nearly nine-week process of selecting a pool of potential panelists came to a close.

Of more than 1,500 people summoned to court, 76 have been selected for a pool from which attorneys will now choose the final panel of 12 jurors and six alternates."

more...

Who was the atty arguing the motion this afternoon? Was that the atty that CM has had at his side lately? I don't recall a Notice of Appearance (or whatever that's called) being filed for her? And HHJP didn't really seem to care that she argued the motion. I missed the morning edition and was just wondering how that all came about! TIA

Who was the atty arguing the motion this afternoon? Was that the atty that CM has had at his side lately? I don't recall a Notice of Appearance (or whatever that's called) being filed for her? And HHJP didn't really seem to care that she argued the motion. I missed the morning edition and was just wondering how that all came about! TIA

Best I can hear (INSESSION REWIND) ELIZABETH FRYER.

Dorothy Sims. Brought on board to cross-examine medics.

Mainly does Social Security and PI cases?

FJ, I believe her name is Ms. Fryer (sp?). She has been seen in recent hearings sitting in the first chairs immediately behind the defense table.

When queried by CJBP, JA indicated that we had already heard everything she said, only from a different voice. IMO she did the best she could given what she had to work with. It seemed that she was sent up as sort of a last ditch attempt?

The Florida Bar website lists a Lisabeth J Fryer who was admitted on April 15, 2011 and coincidentally has the same address as a certain J. Cheney Mason.
Thank you! She came across to me as somewhat "green" but then again, what do I know? :waitasec: Knowing that helps.

The Florida Bar website lists a Lisabeth J Fryer who was admitted on April 15, 2011 and coincidentally has the same address as a certain J. Cheney Mason.

I might be thinking of a different motion.

What bright spark came up with the idea of having someone less than one month out of the bar argue a motion in a capital case?!

I might be thinking of a different motion.

What bright spark came up with the idea of having someone less than one month out of the bar argue a motion in a capital case?!

Personally I thought she did very well and presented the argument more concisely and persuasively than Mr. Baez or Ms. Sims did in the past.

And I was very impressed how she not only maintained her composure when Judge Perry posed questions to her, but that she answered intelligently and was able to answer the specific questions the judge asked.

Personally I thought she did very well and presented the argument more concisely and persuasively than Mr. Baez or Ms. Sims did in the past.

And I was very impressed how she not only maintained her composure when Judge Perry posed questions to her, but that she answered intelligently and was able to answer the specific questions the judge asked.
She did. But you could hear the nerves in her voice, much less in her body language.

RH, it's good to see you here again. Thank you for the above post--I agree, Ms. Fryer handled herself very well for a brand new attorney in a case of this kind.

Do you have any comment upon the potential jurors being dismissed today? One could expect that the DT will call for a continuance based on what occurred. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks again! :tyou:

BLESS YOU --- I have been trying every spelling I could think of or imagine!

BTW - doing a nice job on InSessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member