2011.05.11 Jury Selection Day Three #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wait until the real questioning starts...if you think CM is slowing things down now.

She describes herself as a middle class family w/middle class income..so he is going to excuse her????!!!!

Hotels don't charge till u get there...wth? Mason's right on this one. I never heard of a hotel being non-=refundable..

They can go there anytime. This is a bust, IMO.

Don't potential jurors have to have proof they have prepaid vacation plans such as airline tickets and hotel expenses...

Did anyone hear of any funny reasons the potential jurors gave for trying to be excused from jury duty. The best one I heard is a guy is taking his grannie in Milwaukee to a baseball game. The courtroom seemed to like that one.

"We made the arrangements in advance on internet"..we can not get money back..WTH?

she isnt lying, those package deals are all over the place here. they advertise em like crazy but once you're on, you're on.

Geez - has Mason never heard of Internet specials or AAA prepaid packages?

<Unusual Person>!!!

How does Mason not understand about pre-packaged hotel deals? Geez. He's getting on my nerves and HHJP looks tired. I'm so glad he overrides Mason's objections. :gavel:

Her concern is she made arrangement with another couple..doesn't want to ruin their trip..LOL

someone get cm a hearing aid please

3229: Hardship? I'm not sure it is hardship. I have travel plans. Non refundable everything. Another couple involved.

HHJP: If you don't mind telling me, where you going?

New England.

HHJP: You had no idea you would be blessed with this event. Anything else?

Mr. George: Everything is prepaid?

Yes.

Mr. George: What if you were paid for everything.

I would have to take that time off work. If I don't work I don't get paid.

Mr. George: How will having that income effect your household?

We do not rely on my income for food, rent. Not that difficult for family to lose her pay.

HHJP: How much would you and your husband lose as a result of having prepaid tickets and a prepaid hotel?

I'd say two to three thousand dollars.

HHJP: Step outside, we will be with you shortly. Ma'am, have her step back in. One quick question, if you would describe you and your husband as typical middle class family with a typical middle class income?

Yes. Yes I would.

HHJP: I am inclined to excuse this juror because they have spent a few thousand on these trips.

CM: I do object. Most airlines...

HHJP: She said it was the hotel and the tickets.

CM: I didn't hear her say that. It is unusual.

HHJP: Bring her back in. Is your airline ticket non refundable. And your hotel, that is also non refundable.

Yes, we made them way ahead of time to get the great rate.

HHJP: Could you cancel your hotel room and cancel...

No. Non refundable.

CM: Curious because I like to learn about this for myself. You didn't know you would serve on jury duty when you made the plans.

No. We have made these with another couple. We are going with them.

CM: No further questions.

CM: We request calls for refundability.

HHJP: excused for calls. ( I think she has to see if she can get her money back because CM is "curious about these things" ) but I am not sure.

3229 woman

travel plans 2nd week of june (prepaid non refundable $2K - $3K) new england w/ another couple, are you middle class w middle class income (yes)

mr. george: would losing money pose financial hardship (yes but we wouldn't lose our home), employer does not pay but don't depend on her income for food and lodging

excused for cause (defense objects - CM calls her back in to find out if hotel is non-refundable - at this point HHJP is almost laying in chair - yes hotel is non-refundable made through internet--> CM asks again if she had letter from judge if it would change refundability she brings up arrangement smade with another couple--> defense wanted her to make calls HHJP says no and excuses her)

I am sorry, I am with CM on this one. She can at least TRY to get out of the vacation plans. We made others do it today. We need females.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove