2011.05.11 Jury Selection Day Three

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the reaction from Baez on the suggesting getting the homeless to do jury duty?

#3048. Female. Hardship - burden on the family. She & husband takes care of a daughter who's a single mother/student and the daughter's 3-yr old live who with them. Husband is bread winner. She cares for grand-daughter while daughter works and goes to school. Has been helping daughter since grand-daughter born in June 2008.

Hmmmmmmmmm...

You mean not every young single mom has a nanny paid for by her (fake) co-worker?

He said the end of trial would be late June and prior to July..again.

Problem with using the homeless is many of them suffer from drug/alchol abuse or have mental issues.
Proberly won't be a smart idea.

Wouldn't a few screening questions be able to weed those folks out? If they have not been able to hold a job for the past 10 years, that would say alot for instance. But in my opinion, with the economy the way it is and folks losing their homes and/or not able to find a job there is likely to be some eligible folks in there. Think of the movie "Pursuit to Happyness" obviously he was in a intern program and would not have been able to serve, but just saying.

Also, who is to say the random people they have selected could not have drinking and drug issues? Several of them lived at home with no job.

Problem with using the homeless is many of them suffer from drug/alchol abuse or have mental issues.
Proberly won't be a smart idea.

With respect a lot of people suffer drug/alcohol abuse, not just the homeless. HHJP says that only people with Driving Licenses will be selected. I think it wrong to exclude a whole section of the population just because they are homeless at this time.

What was the reaction from Baez on the suggesting getting the homeless to do jury duty?

he was sad that there are so many minorities in homeless shelters but wants them...HHJP left that one up to him so the court is pulling drivers license....:maddening:

Wouldn't a few screening questions be able to weed those folks out? If they have not been able to hold a job for the past 10 years, that would say alot for instance. But in my opinion, with the economy the way it is and folks losing their homes and/or not able to find a job there is likely to be some eligible folks in there. Think of the movie "Pursuit to Happyness" obviously he was in a intern program and would not have been able to serve, but just saying.

Also, who is to say the random people they have selected could not have drinking and drug issues? Several of them lived at home with no job.

You do have a good point.

3136 woman

hardship husband going overseas soon (work related govt contractor leaving July 7th) and wants to spend time with him, suppose to leave tomorrow to her daughters graduation from Optometry school - graduates Monday, job pays

excused for cause

I was actually wondering about this last night, if somebody was an alcoholic, they'd have to admit that during this questioning right? I don't suppose they'll be supplied beer in their hotel room?

The face of the homeless shelters has changed greatly since the recession. Many people in these shelters are hard working familes that lost their homes and jobs. They have no choice but to be there. It can happen to any of us.

Unpopular I'm sure...........but in many (not all of course) cases, people who live in homeless shelters are not known to be good decision/choice makers. I do recognize that some good & smart people sometimes find themselves in adverse situations - just saying if I wanted someone to analyze facts to come to the right conclusion, the homeless shelter would not be on my list of places to go. Hope i've said what I want without offending.:innocent:

Not offended.
Perhaps that's true but there are many people who are not homeless who are not good decisions makers.
cases in point: ICA, Mr. Greene, former member of jury pool

moo

Here's a thought, I bet there are a lot of prisoners there who have driver's licenses :)

I know it could never happen, but if we're going the homeless route, let's go the prison route. At least it would be a jury of her peers!

MOO

Mel

It isn't a crime to be homeless. That is the biggest difference.

I think it would be a postive thing in their lives to sit on a jury. I think it will not only be nice for them to have a nice place to stay, have three full meals, nice trips, movies, video games, etc... I think it will give them a sense of pride they may not have felt for a while.

The homeless people will have no sympathy for KC when the DT starts trying to say she's had a bad lot in life. They'll only see her as one with every comfort and every chance in the world to get along fine in her life.

HHJP said the trial would be over before July, again he said it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member