2011.05.17 Jury Selection DAY EIGHT (Morning Edition)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
JB: I think if they are going to work for one side, it should work with both. the state flip flops depending on the wind blows.

Jose says there are not enough minorities.

IMHO: Casey is not a minority. it is a jury of her peers. what does this matter?

HHJP: the record is abundantly clear. at the time that the state gave their reasons they did not indicate they had concerns that juror would hang. one thing that led this court to not exercise was that juror was never asked what led her to change her response. there was no additional questioning. mr. baez has a point, I won't let this be argued over and over again. rightfully or wrongfully I did what I did and I stand by my prior ruling..

HHJB stands by his prior ruling.

352 (?) is present. Brought in for questioning.

HHJP is not going to reopen this to be argued over and over again. rightfully or wrongfully, he is going to stand by his prior ruling.

Juror is still in....

CJBP: At the time they gave their reasons, the State did not express their concern about that juror hanging the panel. That juror was never asked what led her to change her response. There was no additional questioning, and the questioning of that juror was quite short. Mr. Baez has a point, I'm not going to let this be argued over and over and over again.

Rightfully or wrongly I did what I did, and I stand by my prior ruling.

HHBP stands by his previous ruling on that juror. . . next pj up to bat

So now the state must use a challenge on the juror if they don't want her prior to being sworn - is that correct?

I think he realizes is prior decision was wrong but he has to stick by it now.

If the Judge won't release her for cause then can the SA use a strike?

So a hung jury would cause a mistrial and they'd have to do it over? Please someone say she wouldn't be acquited.

We all need to pray and ask Caylee to touch the heart of juror 1319 during the trial that she can vote "Guility" as charged in the 1st degree!

Well he just kicked the prosecution in the teeth. Doesn't want to change his decision.

If it makes sense, and IMO, I think HHJP made the wrong decision in not allowing the peremptory strike the other day, but the right decision in not reversing himself today. This is tough stuff.

I am not worried. I know what that woman meant. I would say something like that but wait til she hears the evidence. :twocents:

Next - 3052

previous notes on this one

#3052 - Male - no hrdshp; slight inconvience; is to be in stage show; no family, financial, medical hrdshps

Preemptive! Thanks for bringing this up. I've been spelling it wrong as well.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Preemptory+challenge
According to this, it's Peremptive. It's a legal term, I guess.

Excerpt;

Peremptory challenges provide a more impartial and better qualified jury. Peremptory challenges allow an attorney to reject a potential juror for real or imagined partiality that would be difficult to demonstrate under the challenge for cause category. These challenges, however, have become more difficult to exercise because the U.S. Supreme Court has forbidden peremptory strikes based on race or gender.

Happy dance for ICA!!! She just got a hung jury!! Whoo-Hoo!!

Sad day for Caylee

So a hung jury would cause a mistrial and they'd have to do it over? Please someone say she wouldn't be acquited.

If we and the SA are right she will hang the Jury and everyone will have to go back through this again... bad call and HHJP knows it.

So now the state must use a challenge on the juror if they don't want her prior to being sworn - is that correct?

If the Judge won't release her for cause then can the SA use a strike?

I believe they cannot, since HHJP had overruled their initial peremptory challenge on this juror. I may be thinking of the wrong one, but I believe it was based on race.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem