2011.06.22 Sidebar Thread (Trial Day Twenty-five)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My DH posed a question. I'll move to the questions thread if necessary

I don't understand why the chemist was allowed to testify today for the defense regarding the chemical makeup of the contents of the Gatorade bottle and the syringe since the state didn't use that in direct testimony. I thought it was the defenses job to rebut the direct testimony of the state?

Also, he had this to point out,

If any juror is believed by the court (the judge or their fellow jurors) to be unable to convict based on their predetermined beliefs like objection to the death penalty, it would be the judges duty to replace that juror with an alternate even after deliberations have begun.

I posted this in regards to the questions about Juror #4

His in bold

This is one argument I can kind of see Baez being correct on or at least 50/50 on, probably to the dismay of many but let me explain.

His point was that he had prepared for the releases that SA intended to use during the trial, as many here have poured over when they were originally released. If there are additional email messages, texts, chat scripts, and searches previously unreleased before trial that the SA now wants to bring forward based on a rebuttal he may very well be unprepared. The state had some experts that were able to extract much of this from deleted memory on the disk drive and history files that probably only an expert will be able to find and piece together. If he hadn't done that and is relying on what was previously released in discovery on the computer he now has a huge challenge going back to the hard drive... The several 100's of thousands he has received on the case is not that much when you look back on three years and all the people involved - yes much is pro-bono I suppose but still it is not that much money.

BUT !!!!

ONE thing I noticed today between 8:30 and 9:00 was JA and LB giving what appeared to be a binder to Baez. He paged through it and they all chatted for awhile. My guess is that the SA provided all the relevant chats and messages and emails in that binder from the day(s) in question. He seemed pleased to receive it and my other guess is that they provided him the information so that he could prepare and they could avoid appeal.

Feel free to correct me or give me my 100 lashes now........

Uh Huh - well, he's had two years and I gather from my tech friends it's pretty easy to date search a computer disk.
The real question is - if he's had this information for two years ago, why didn't he look at the two or three days then, or what the heck, search here or at the Hinky for at least a hint of what was going on. Certainly before he planned his big defense OS!

Caught something on HLN as they were playing out to commercial - in JB's opening statement when he is accusing RK of "being in possession of Caylee's remains" he states that they "don't know where he found them, and they will ever know where he found them."

Ummmm....according to their theory wouldn't ICA and GA know what they did with her after holding her outside the pool waiting for ICA to come around the corner???? Or is there know a 3rd person in between GA and RK that had her remains???? Very confused :(

I will admit I didn't retain all of the defense opening statement, but did he really say "we don't know where he found them"? ( Gee... that is a big hole. All of a sudden RK has possession of a dead child? Just trust JB on this?)

They have to come up with an explanation for this, imo. If I were Crystal Holloway, I would be very careful. What is the timing of her alleged affair with George?

Sorry to be OT here, newbie question bear with me.....but can someone explain to me why all the talking heads keep saying that it's really not a good sign that the jurors are taking notes? Many have been suggesting this is good for the DT and bad for the State. Is this just a matter of opinion or can someone explain what the thought it behind this? I would think you would want them to be taking notes.

Thanks in advance.

Yes- but there was an interesting tidbit that I'm not sure was even noticed in the testimony but the sample doll taken from a random house ALSO had chloroform on it. That was VERY interesting to me. Suggested something like the plastic doll heads have that chemical "naturally". I am a little confused how the doll that was in the trunk doesn't have any extra chloroform on it. I thought that was a point for DT but I don't think it was hammered home at all.

I think quite a few things show trace amounts of chloroform. Even water, if I'm not mistaken. So I'm not really surprised to find minute amounts in either doll.

As for Mama doll, I was under the impression she was taken from the backseat. Is that incorrect? :waitasec:

Sorry to be OT here, newbie question bear with me.....but can someone explain to me why all the talking heads keep saying that it's really not a good sign that the jurors are taking notes? Many have been suggesting this is good for the DT and bad for the State. Is this just a matter of opinion or can someone explain what the thought it behind this? I would think you would want them to be taking notes.

Thanks in advance.
It's sensationalism. It really doesn't mean much at all.

I thought you could get a mistrial over attorney misconduct? :waitasec:

No - you can appeal for a new trial, after other appeals are exhausted. But no new trial in the middle of the one we have. Or so Bill S. says.

No tomatoes here, and I respect your opinion, but Baez has been aware for more than a couple of years that this case is WAY above his expertise, and he has had NUMEROUS very well experienced defense attorneys join the team PRO BONO, but Baez has refused to relinquish any control and put himself in a position of LEARNING from any of them.....

He has passed up the opportunity of a lifetime (knowledge-wise) and THAT is his OWN fault!!!!

I cannot begin to list the knowledge I have gained from those more well educated than myself in certain areas, but starting with AZLawyer....have learned more from HER about the law and court proceedings than I knew in my 50 years....

Thanks AZ!!!!

So you think that JB is acting blatantly overconfident although he is really naive? You don't think the other attorneys on JB's team bear any responsibility for the mess that has become of their defense?

Uh Huh - well, he's had two years and I gather from my tech friends it's pretty easy to date search a computer disk.
The real question is - if he's had this information for two years ago, why didn't he look at the two or three days then, or what the heck, search here or at the Hinky for at least a hint of what was going on. Certainly before he planned his big defense OS!

There is absolutely NO excuse for ICA's defense team not to have studied any and all information wrt the day Caylee went missing. NONE.

JMO

Wait a minute - I've been away for the afternoon and I catch up on my reading only to find my peeps are hanging around saying they feel sorry for Baez because he's in a heap of trouble and maybe KC took advantage of him?

Okay :ignore: - I definitely need to go catch up on my vacuuming or something!

I think quite a few things show trace amounts of chloroform. Even water, if I'm not mistaken. So I'm not really surprised to find minute amounts in either doll.

As for Mama doll, I was under the impression she was taken from the backseat. Is that incorrect? :waitasec:

I also thought she was taken from the backseat because Cindy was crying about that doll in her testimony saying the doll was in the carseat where Caylee should have been.

You will probably all throw tomatoes at me for saying this, but I feel sorry for Baez too. Its his own fault most likely to get himself into this situation, but still at least if 1 of his witnesses would have added something positive to his argument maybe he could proved some important point and put a bit of doubt out there. His witnesses just get smashed by JA every time it seems, or they say nothing really either way to help either side. This is like watching a shutout baseball game which I don't like.

I do not feel sorry for the <modsnip> I mean really not for one minute did he ever think Caylee Marie Anthony was alive and you bet that is what he and abc talked about that for a couple hundred thousand and ica making the statement that he was doing Business for her in NY I am totally disgusted by the many making money off of this baby. He knows what he's doing and she ica knows what he is doing and if it wasn't for that mean judge picking on him she would be home wondering on how to get away from Cindy. JMOO

Its really hard for me to understand why an attorney would really want to become famous through a case and at the same time ruin his own reputation as an attorney. Maybe I'm naive.

He has yet to appreciate the difference between fame and infamy. He wanted one and got the latter...

I also thought she was taken from the backseat because Cindy was crying about that doll in her testimony saying the doll was in the carseat where Caylee should have been.

Okay, that's exactly what I heard too! Thank you. I was starting to think I'm so brain dead from this week's testimony that now I'm just making stuff up. :crazy:

Wait a minute - I've been away for the afternoon and I catch up on my reading only to find my peeps are hanging around saying they feel sorry for Baez because he's in a heap of trouble and maybe KC took advantage of him?

Well I have a different opinion

Jose Baez is the kind of guy I wouldn't trust with my brown bag lunch, let alone my life. He would be the kind of guy to take apart my sandwich, lick the peanut butter off the bread, put my sandwich back together and put it back in the bag before returning it to me.

Yes- but there was an interesting tidbit that I'm not sure was even noticed in the testimony but the sample doll taken from a random house ALSO had chloroform on it. That was VERY interesting to me. Suggested something like the plastic doll heads have that chemical "naturally". I am a little confused how the doll that was in the trunk doesn't have any extra chloroform on it. I thought that was a point for DT but I don't think it was hammered home at all.

CA stated she wiped the doll's face. Knowing CA she may have even washed it in the washing machine. How long was the doll out of the car while CA cleaned it. It would have been in open elements and chloroform evaporate faster in open air then in closed. Also I can't remember was the doll found in the trunk or in the car sit originally by CA?

I will admit I didn't retain all of the defense opening statement, but did he really say "we don't know where he found them"? ( Gee... that is a big hole. All of a sudden RK has possession of a dead child? Just trust JB on this?)

They have to come up with an explanation for this, imo. If I were Crystal Holloway, I would be very careful. What is the timing of her alleged affair with George?

BBM
Well she is an admitted liar and thief so it will probably be what ever Jose wants it to be until George gets back on the stand.

I've never felt sorry for Baez. Although, I have been embarrased for him a number of times.

BBM...yes he did. I thought I had heard it before, but when they played out to commercial I heard it again and said....whoa....how does NO ONE know where the remains first were????

:floorlaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member