2011.08.05 Hearing on Casey's probation

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious... what exactly are you all hoping to change regarding the jury system? I've heard rumblings for years that some want to have a group of "professional" jurors put in place, and I can think of a dozen reasons why that would be ineffective. One big reason is, the state would have to pay them and pay them well, because they would be working non-stop. I don't think there are many states that can afford it.
We're all entitled to have a jury of our peers, and everyone has a 50-50 chance of being convicted or walking out free. Isn't that pretty fair??
There have been plenty of innocent people who were convicted and some were already dead by the time they were exonerated. I don't see the big public outcry over that, do you?
I'm not trying to start an argument, just giving my opinions. But I think the jury system is just fine the way it is now. We can all be upset and angry that she was acquitted but it's not going to change a thing where Casey is concerned. Sometimes Life just sucks and there's not much we can do about it in the end, except deal with it.

When I was on a jury the foreman was excellent. He was aware of what he was suppose to do because of prior jury experience. When a foreman is picked maybe they should receive a little more instruction on what is required of them to do in terms of jury instructions and keeping deliberations flowing and seeing that any questions a juror had that can't be answered by anyone within the room be directed to the judge. We did that when we were deliberating. In the end we felt we all made the right decision based on information we received from the judge and the evidence we reviewed. Misinformation caused this jury to get way off track and my guess is the majority of the jurors just wanted to get out of town pronto. Old saying from the Bible....."Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." If jurors don't have proper tools and information you can't expect them to do a super job. jmo

I'm curious... what exactly are you all hoping to change regarding the jury system? I've heard rumblings for years that some want to have a group of "professional" jurors put in place, and I can think of a dozen reasons why that would be ineffective. One big reason is, the state would have to pay them and pay them well, because they would be working non-stop. I don't think there are many states that can afford it.
We're all entitled to have a jury of our peers, and everyone has a 50-50 chance of being convicted or walking out free. Isn't that pretty fair??
There have been plenty of innocent people who were convicted and some were already dead by the time they were exonerated. I don't see the big public outcry over that, do you?
I'm not trying to start an argument, just giving my opinions. But I think the jury system is just fine the way it is now. We can all be upset and angry that she was acquitted but it's not going to change a thing where Casey is concerned. Sometimes Life just sucks and there's not much we can do about it in the end, except deal with it.

Just to add a professional jury would be worse. That is why we have thousands and thousands of books with case law. Each one of those cases represents a case where someone didn't agree with a ruling. I think we would have a lot more locked juries with professionals.

It is funny that ... while LF is very bright, sharp and top of her Bar graduation class ... :waitasec: that veteran CM and rookie JB both seem to hide behind her suit tails when it comes to arguing complex and/or intricate issues.

It is good for LF to showcase her skills, baptism by fire :clap: but ... sad for CM and JB. :loser:

She's the only one capable of looking up case law. JB wouldn't know where to start...

Just heard a talking head say that one condition of probation was that KC answer all questions of PO truthfully. :floorlaugh:
:abduction::abduction:

IIRC the supervisor stated that this procedure is not uncommon and has been done numerous times with other people in jail. The precedent appears to have already been created, this was not a unique thing they decided to do for CA, it is frequently done.

jmo

That is not exactly what the supervisor said. She stated that yes, people had served probation time while in jail awaiting adjudication on other charges. However, she gave an example of how this situation comes about, and it is nothing like Casey's situation.

The example the supervisor gave was of a person on probation in the community for a specific offense being arrested on a new charge and having to sit in jail awaiting adjudication for the new charge. Usually this is a situation where the person is unable to make bail. If they are subsequently acquitted of the new charge they are set free and the days they spent in jail awaiting trial are then credited toward their probation. Basically, it is done that way because the person was already on probation out in the community and once they were acquitted they should not be penalized by way of extending the termination date of their probation.

Such example is not a precedent for Casey's situation. Casey was not on probation when she was arrested on murder charges. Probation was imposed on her while she was in jail and the order of the judge was that probation would commence upon her release from jail.

That is not exactly what the supervisor said. She stated that yes, people had served probation time while in jail awaiting adjudication on other charges. However, she gave an example of how this situation comes about, and it is nothing like Casey's situation.

The example the supervisor gave was of a person on probation in the community for a specific offense being arrested on a new charge and having to sit in jail awaiting adjudication for the new charge. Usually this is a situation where the person is unable to make bail. If they are subsequently acquitted of the new charge they are set free and the days they spent in jail awaiting trial are then credited toward their probation. Basically, it is done that way because the person was already on probation out in the community and once they were acquitted they should not be penalized by way of extending the termination date of their probation.

Such example is not a precedent for Casey's situation. Casey was not on probation when she was arrested on murder charges. Probation was imposed on her while she was in jail and the order of the judge was that probation would commence upon her release from jail.

Also this was done through an agency not a court. Now that it has come into question with a judge, the judge now rules if the agencies policy is lawfully correct.

Richard Hornsby on today's proceeding:

http://blog.richardhornsby.com/category/casey-anthony/

I apologize if the link has already been posted. Don't have time to read every page on WS just now. But this gives me hope that FCA will at least be inconvenienced enough to serve her probation. :seeya:

Thanks very much for posting this Dani - I hadn't seen it before and find it much easier to follow than his original probation debate comments.

I remain hopeful..........

I highly suspect that when the time was being calculated there was absolutely nothing on record stating probation. DOC in the county jail knew nothing about it

Baez seems to be the only one who knows/knew about this and kept his pie hole shut till it came up AFTER she was gone.I still guess that the letter was computer generated...have they shown the complete letter yet? The clerk made an error. We can hear the judge's own words. Because the clerk made an error , it shouldn't negate the defendent doing probation.

It looks to me like the clerk left Strickland's courtroom on the day of sentencing for check fraud and immediately generated a probation starting that day w/o thought that she was still in jail. Florida is being exposed more and more for getting light on crime. They used to be one of the tougher states but their political persuasion is turning. When that happens, more and more laws come into play and lawyers have more loopholes to set the defendant free.
Yes, but Judge S's signature is on that order, he obviously doesn't read what he signs, it wasn't just typed up and sent of DOC, he had to sign it first.

Thanks very much for posting this Dani - I hadn't seen it before and find it much easier to follow than his original probation debate comments.

I remain hopeful..........

Yes quite interesting. I hope Judge Perry reads it as Hornsby said.

I still don't understand why no one is mentioning that the time for the Lying convictions was backed up to include the time she was apparently on probation - how is that possible? I will now "swan" over myself to Mr. Hornsby myself and ask him about that....Let's see if he will answer...

Okay - question asked - waiting waiting for clarification!

Yes, but Judge S's signature is on that order, he obviously doesn't read what he signs, it wasn't just typed up and sent of DOC, he had to sign it first.

At the end of the day the judges assistant brings in a stack of papers to be signed. The judges usually glance over it and sign. At lot of times the lawyers write up the order and the judge signs it. I have seen a lot of mistakes being made with this method. As a paralegal I had to go to many lawyers and have them make changes to an order they wrote up.

It seems Baez and friends were looking for protection for Casey Anthony. I guess they didn't think she would need to come back for probation either.

"Kris Herzog, famous Hollywood celebrity bodyguard and owner of The Bodyguard Group of Beverly Hills says that he was approached by supporters of Casey Anthony to protect her, so she could move to Beverly Hills, CA.
For the 1st time in over 43 years, The Navy SEAL Bodyguard Group and it’s parent company The Bodyguard Group of Beverly Hills refused to take a job, the Casey Anthony protection job.

Chris Jones, former U.S. Secret Service Presidential and White House security detail member is director of The Bodyguard Group Threat Assessment unit. Chris Jones and the Command staff of The Bodyguard Group, including Navy SEAL Team members from our Celebrity Bodyguard unit wrote a Threat Assessment on Casey Anthony.

"
Where did you see this?
I so hope she's nowhere near my son!!

Ethics? haha. Now that's a good one. IMO, Kris Herzog, is as sleazy as you get. He's just trying to promote his book, lol. Talk about riding the Casey Anthony gravy train, lol.
Funny...I didn't know of any book till now.

Okay - what is happening now? Somebody didn't show up so HHJP is passing it over for now and we are on to someone else?:crazy:

Mistakes happen. Many times there is morning court and afternoon court. If someone isn't there for morning court, the Judge will put it aside until afternoon court. If the person still isn't there for afternoon court, a warrent will be issued.

I learned this first hand. My paperwork said 1pm. So, I was there at 1pm. At the begining of afternoon court they announced those of us that hadn't appeared earlier. I almost fainted because I thought I was going to the pokey for failure to appear! Got all upset. The baliff came over to me and kindly said somethimes the paperwork doesn't match the docket. It's not uncommon. That's why we call for folks like you before court convienes.

This was only traffic court and my fine was reduced, but I must say, I was scared for a minute there!

TC, Robin

Fox BK reporting that FG agrees with JB....the darling of JP's court has already satisfied her probation. AND, that JP agrees with JB that the princess is in grave danger because of a pic on the net. When did FG say that he agrees with Jose?

Ethics? haha. Now that's a good one. IMO, Kris Herzog, is as sleazy as you get. He's just trying to promote his book, lol. Talk about riding the Casey Anthony gravy train, lol.

Apparently even sleazy have standards. Besides she'd probably be bad for business. jmo

I know this is OT, but I still cannot believe this verdict. It has been three weeks and the shock has worn, but once in a while I will allow myself to think about the verdict and it is JUST BEYOND SHOCKING.
One wasn't shocked with John Gotti - we knew what was going on and oh ok, he got off again ...one of these days.

But this - this was an absolute kick in the stomach to pretty much everyone who watched. I myself had to sit down because I could not believe my ears. I just could not believe it.

Thank you. You express my feelings perfectly. I come here because I know there are some like-minded people, who share those feelings. I'm getting over it, but it's slow going, because of the reasons you state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela