2023 Hurricane and Tropical Weather

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Once the disturbance clears the bulk of the dust next week, however, the atmospheric pattern is forecast to become conducive for development, and a more organized circulation should be able to form. The National Hurricane Center rates its chances of becoming at least a tropical depression as high.

If top winds ever reach 40 mph or higher in the circulation, it will be named Emily
I hope it stays away from land, as suggested by the NHC's 7-day outlook:
1690651680471.png

Once the disturbance clears the bulk of the dust next week, however, the atmospheric pattern is forecast to become conducive for development, and a more organized circulation should be able to form. The National Hurricane Center rates its chances of becoming at least a tropical depression as high.

If top winds ever reach 40 mph or higher in the circulation, it will be named Emily
My biggest concern this hurricane year are the excessively high Gulf Water temperatures around the lower southern half of Florida. I feel that is like putting open cans of gasoline right next to a bonfire.
Hoping for a quiet season.

JMO

I heard about this and I was like well, where are they?! We have had so little rain here in Sarasota. Everything is dead, parched and brittle. I had 2 new trees installed today and now I’m thinking I need to stake them!
I think this is one of those years, where it's hard to predict! It's not really fitting the mold!

This heatwave in Texas is the worst!

Yikes! My oldest is on a research ship in the Gulf of Mexico just south of Louisiana. It's a 15 day trip and they went out of Galveston on Aug 7th. If their weather turns rough, they're required to return to port. They've already had to anchor 1 day due to high winds 3.5'-4' waves.

1692149234520.png

1692149057330.png

There's a area worth watching closer to home for early (Tue/Wed) of next week in Texas, the area is a wave with squelched convection near the Leeward islands currently that could move into an area favorable for development this weekend, although it's unlikely it will have time to develop into much, but an area like this should be watched closely because sometimes models miss the quick systems like this. It's a reminder for those along the gulf to be hurricane ready, even if it doesn't develop into much. Texas does need the rain. 20% chance to develop over the next 7 days.

See post for the other 2 possible storms.

3. Western Gulf of Mexico:
A broad area of low pressure could form in the central or western Gulf of Mexico by the beginning of next week. Some slow development of this system is possible thereafter as it moves generally westward, potentially nearing the western Gulf of Mexico coastline in about a week.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent.
* Formation chance through 7 days...low...20 percent.

HURRICANE HILARY COULD BE 1ST TROPICAL STORM TO HIT CA SINCE 1939. HERE'S HOW IT'LL IMPACT THE STATE​

13659030_Tropical-Pacific-Hurricane-and-SST.png

My oldest is back on land, thankfully. They came in at Biloxi, MS yesterday.

Snip:
Disturbance 2, which is located a few hundred miles west of the Cabo Verde Island, has a 70% chance of development within seven days,.....

Disturbance 1, located 1,000 miles west-southwest of the Cabo Verde Islands has a 50% chance of development within seven days.

Disturbance 3 is located 500 miles east-southeast of the Lesser Antilles and

Disturbance 4 is located north of Hispaniola and will move into the Gulf of Mexico by early next week,.......

Disturbance 3 has a 20% chance of development within seven days, while Disturbance 4 has a 30% chance of development......

1692362147548.png

My oldest is back on land, thankfully. They came in at Biloxi, MS yesterday.

Snip:
Disturbance 2, which is located a few hundred miles west of the Cabo Verde Island, has a 70% chance of development within seven days,.....

Disturbance 1, located 1,000 miles west-southwest of the Cabo Verde Islands has a 50% chance of development within seven days.

Disturbance 3 is located 500 miles east-southeast of the Lesser Antilles and

Disturbance 4 is located north of Hispaniola and will move into the Gulf of Mexico by early next week,.......

Disturbance 3 has a 20% chance of development within seven days, while Disturbance 4 has a 30% chance of development......

View attachment 441672
That lineup of "disturbances" is scary! ETA Happy to hear your oldest is back on land.

Main Page:

EMILY

FRANKLIN

GERT

8:00 AM EDT 21 August 2023 Update
Tropical Storm Gert formed overnight from Tropical Depression Six, still expected to be short-lived. Harold and Idalia are the next two names.

It's extremely busy in the Atlantic, but only two threats to land at the moment.

91L in the Gulf has a 80% chance to develop, those in the western Gulf of Mexico should monitor the progress of this system. Tropical storm watches or warnings may be necessary on Monday for portions of the southern Texas and northern Mexico. The next name is now Harold.

Tropical Storm Franklin has developed from 90L and Tropical Storm Warnings and Watches are up for Hispaniola as it approaches. Beyond this those in Bermuda may need to watch.

Emily continues out to sea and the final area 92L has a 70% chance to develop. Another area, currently not on the Outlook may show up later this week near the Gulf or Western Caribbean.

The last advisory for Tropical Storm Hilary was issued in Nevada. Flooding rains continue in parts of Nevada, Northern California, Interior Oregon, and Idaho. Flooding in southern California was varied, but large sections of I-10 are closed due to flooding around Palm Springs. Some localized areas in California did worse than others.

Tropical Storm Gert formed overnight from Tropical Depression Six, still expected to be short-lived. Harold and Idalia are the next two names.

It's extremely busy in the Atlantic, but only two threats to land at the moment.

91L in the Gulf has a 80% chance to develop, those in the western Gulf of Mexico should monitor the progress of this system. Tropical storm watches or warnings may be necessary on Monday for portions of the southern Texas and northern Mexico. The next name is now Harold.

Tropical Storm Franklin has developed from 90L and Tropical Storm Warnings and Watches are up for Hispaniola as it approaches. Beyond this those in Bermuda may need to watch.

Emily continues out to sea and the final area 92L has a 70% chance to develop. Another area, currently not on the Outlook may show up later this week near the Gulf or Western Caribbean.

The last advisory for Tropical Storm Hilary was issued in Nevada. Flooding rains continue in parts of Nevada, Northern California, Interior Oregon, and Idaho. Flooding in southern California was varied, but large sections of I-10 are closed due to flooding around Palm Springs. Some localized areas in California did worse than others.
I’m in Louisiana. Never know what to expect with the tropics! This heat wave and no rain is horrible but I hate to complain- not trying to summons a storm!

It looks to be in full swing now, wasn't the forecast for a busy Atlantic season?

Here is the forecast path for the Gulf of Mexico blob. The models are all pretty much the same.
It probably won't develop. Will likely bring some rain to upper Gulf Coast (Houston, New Orleans, as it moves west. ) May bring rain to South Texas, if the heat dome doesn't vaporize the thing.

91L_tracks_latest.png

Satellite screenshot at 8:45 am CDT - Aug 21

Screenshot Capture - 2023-08-21 - 08-59-53.pngImage Sources:

Last edited:

TD9, which currently has sustained winds of about 35 mph, is expected to become Tropical Storm Harold once the winds top 39 mph. That's expected to happen before landfall on the south Texas coast south near Baffin Bay Tuesday morning.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lawlessinvestigates
Back