2023 Hurricane and Tropical Weather

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

The depression, formerly known as Invest 96L, is located about 160 miles west of the Cabo Verde Islands and is moving westward at 17 mph. Its maximum sustained winds are near 35 mph. Tropical storm status winds are at least 39 mph.

...LEE NOW A CATEGORY 4 HURRICANE... ...RIP CURRENTS AND HAZARDOUS SURF WILL SPREAD ACROSS THE NORTHERN CARIBBEAN FRIDAY AND BEGIN AFFECTING THE MAINLAND U.S. BY SUNDAY...

5:00 PM AST Thu Sep 7
Moving: WNW at 15 mph
Min pressure: 953 mb
Max sustained: 130 mph

Lee is explosively strengthening- it was a Category 2 just last advisory

“Lee” was upgraded to a tropical storm Tue. afternoon & to a hurricane Wed. afternoon & intensified to a Cat. 4 Thu. afternoon!... & will be “on the field” through at least next weekend.

The strong tropical wave - ‘96-L’ was upgraded to tropical depression #14 Thu. morning & “Margot” Thu. afternoon - should stay far out to sea over the E. then Central Atlantic.

** Another strong tropical wave moving west off the coast of Africa...

Nigel is the next named storm.

Franklin is pushing the jet stream north of the UK to allow some fine weather, its been a wet and miserable July and August.

You may recall how Franklin was going to influence the UK weather, well we've just been enjoying a heatwave of 5 or more days in a row of temps at 30c or above, unheard of in Sept , before a cool down next week, now if Lee would like to bend the jet stream it'll be more than welcome.

Dropping into the box to say a simple thank you to all who post in this informative thread. Although I reside inland, often we experience severe spin off repercussions from hurricanes as well as possible flooding to the S. It is often that friends and family may be in the path of these powerful storms. We live near the water and it's worth it. Stay safe, everyone.

Screenshot 2023-09-08 1.15.27 PM.png
Compliments of Reader's Digest Shareable art and me :)

Hurricane Lee heads to the Bahamas: Watch live
MSN

Warning for anyone else in storm areas, I’m in South Georgia on Florida line. While out encountered Inmate Work Crew clearing Hurricane debris, an inmate tried opening my car door while stopped. Fortunately, door was locked, Deputy Sheriff eventually arrived and handcuffed him, he claimed to have thought he knew me. All I had was a hammer and crowbar under my seat that will change.

Does anyone have recommendations for good foods to cook or meal prep ahead for a hurricane?

I’ve made healthy-ish 50% whole wheat sour dough cinnamon buns with pecans that were great during storms. They last for days and one replaces a meal, but they’re kind of heavy.

Soups maybe? Banana bread with nuts? Salad prep? What do you usually prepare?

Does anyone have recommendations for good foods to cook or meal prep ahead for a hurricane?

I’ve made healthy-ish 50% whole wheat sour dough cinnamon buns with pecans that were great during storms. They last for days and one replaces a meal, but they’re kind of heavy.

Trail mix. It will keep energy up and is filling.Protein bars, same reason. Foods are anything you can cook on the grill. If you have a griddle for the grill, pancakes to make breakfast for dinner on the grill is fun.
Have a stock of disposable eating utensils and plates. No power, no water, no way to wash dirty dishes.

Margot:
margo-002-64fc8d7a5879b.png

Trail mix. It will keep energy up and is filling.Protein bars, same reason. Foods are anything you can cook on the grill. If you have a griddle for the grill, pancakes to make breakfast for dinner on the grill is fun.
Have a stock of disposable eating utensils and plates. No power, no water, no way to wash dirty dishes.
Great point, once my supply of food for grilling was gone, relied on the tried and true staple of every American child- Peanut Butter and Grape Jam on still rather fresh Flowers Baking Co. White Bread.

First thing that usually happens after the Hurricane blows through leaving people with no power, people in the neighborhood would set up grills and start grilling all the food that could spoil in the freezers. Many times there would be up to a hundred people and when the word spread, way more that the because a lot of people were without food. Everyone stuck together and was there for each other.

Oh wow, I'm really wanting a sour dough cinnamon bun.

Freeze as many freezer bags of water that you can. You can always use it in your coolers and it will also keep your freezer cold for a while longer.

I've lost count of the number of Hurricanes I've weathered. I've lived in New Orleans, Mobile Alabama, West Palm Beach, Florida, Tampa, Florida and of course Wilmington, NC and Southport, NC. I guess I'm a veteran. I have found that if the hurricane is CAT 3 and above, I will leave and go inland.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LittleBiddle
Back