4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #81

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Imo, though I am sure that is not the case, it made him APPEAR to be completely unprepared for the hearing.
Perhaps if we were only to consider that point, then potentially he might seem unprepared to some. IMO once he messed up the first time, he stumbled. Undoubtedly. However, he seemed to be pretty familiar with the motions and the application of the 1st and 6th amendments and was able to roll over Stoel pretty well, so I'm guessing he had prepared. And I'm going to focus on the law, the decisions on motions and objections, and how he conducts the case - imo that will tell us how well he does.

And I would also say that Kernodle, while possibly not difficult to pronounce phonetically, is extremely unusual based on information from the US Census:

I found this on a Google search, but not sure what I can link here. Based on US Census Bureau data the estimated population of people named KERNODLE is 765, the rank is 32,939 and the proportion per 100k Americans named KERNODLE is 0.24.

I've certainly never heard it, and that's not odd since only 765 or so Kernodles exist in the US.

Last edited:
Wasn't that pub where BK made a pest of himself in PA? ie asking women where they lived, and the owner had to tell him to behave or not return? And he didn't return, iirc.
Wouldn't that be something if Dana had been one of those women, and maybe she shared that, her encounter with a creep.

Last edited:

This article describes the danger of social media sleuths accusing innocent people of crimes and ruining lives in the process.

The main thing suspicious about the Dana Smithers death, in regards to BK, is the timing. According to the affidavit, his phone was activated in June, which seems to mean he left for ID very shortly after DS's disappearance. JMO.

ETA: Thanks @Sister Golden Hair, for explaining that the phone activation date might not reflect true moving date.

Last edited:
Information about the Grand Jury process in PA and a link

(A) A grand jury has the authority to:
(1) inquire into violations of criminal law through subpoenaing witnesses and documents; and
(2) based upon evidence it has received, including hearsay evidence as permitted by law, or upon a presentment issued by an investigating grand jury, if the grand jury finds the evidence establishes a prima facie case that (1) an offense has been committed and (2) the defendant has committed it, indict defendant for an offense under the criminal laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania; or
(3) based upon evidence it has received, including hearsay evidence as permitted by law, or upon a presentment issued by an investigating grand jury, if the grand jury finds the evidence establishes a prima facie case that (1) an offense has been committed and (2) the person other than the defendant in the matter originally presented to the indicting grand jury has committed it, indict the individual for an offense under the criminal laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, but only if the offense arises from the same criminal conduct or episode that gave rise to the original referral to the indicting grand jury; or
(4) decline to indict.

his phone was activated in June, which seems to mean he left for ID very shortly after DS's disappearance. JMO.

IMO the timing re his phone activation may not be an indicator of move date. It's very easy to change phone numbers on AT&T, and one does not need to live in the state. We do know that he moved to WA that summer, but reports I've read indicate August. Here's the easiest link I could find, though it's the NY Post:

The main thing suspicious about the Dana Smithers death, in regards to BK, is the timing. According to the affidavit, his phone was activated in June, which seems to mean he left for ID very shortly after DS's disappearance. JMO.

Regarding the timeline, we have seen video of BK receiving his diploma at DeSales University's Commencement Ceremony on May 21, 2022. Dana Smithers was last seen at 11 p.m. on Saturday, May 28, 2022, on her neighbor's Ring camera.

Dateline producers seemed to suggest that BK bought a knife on Amazon in April, IIRC. Do we have an exact date for when BK posted his "survey" online while he was at DeSales? I remember it was late in the academic year, but don't remember the date.

In any event, we don't know if there is any evidence to connect BK to the PA disappearance of Dana Smithers. Reporting in MSM is saying that BK has an alibi for the time of DS's disappearance. If BK's parents are testifying with regard to the alibi, it's posssible there was a significant event that occurred the weekend of May 28, 2022, and that is why the family remembers the date and where BK was at the time. But all this is just speculation.

Also, I don't think BK left for Pullman until early July when he drove across the country with his father. Someone had posted (way back on this forum) that BK's mother posted on Facebook that it was around the July 4th weekend and she was already missing her son as father and son had set out for the trip across the country for BK to start his doctoral program at WSU. IIRC.

RBBM: From his demeanour I suspect Judge John Judge has the capacity for shame and very likely does/did feel ashamed. MOO. I'm not saying you're suggesting this but I'm sure that the Judge was not intentionally being disrespectful. Ofcourse to the victims' families,understandably, may have and probably did feel disrespected. The whole incident is very unfortunate but I hope all parties will be able to move on. MOO

I have to admit I did wince at the mispronunciation of Xana's name, and the wrong name altogether for Kaylee, and I thought it was a fair bet that their families would be offended by it, I would be too, but I have considered that JJJ was reading the names in front of him, and he could possibly be dyslexic. I'm not saying he is at all, it's just those seed to be the only places he stumbled, and they aren't everyday words that would be instantly recognisable like ones you read everyday.

That aside,I am surprised no-one anticipates this and gave him the correct pronunciations ahead of time.

*I've never heard of a Kernodle before, I also would struggle with Goncalves, and I would say Chapin as it sounds to my UK brain, CHAPPIN, as opposed to "SHAY-PIN" if I didn't know, and Xana could be "Zayna" or Zarna". Kaylee is hard to get wrong!

All jmo

Regarding the timeline, we have seen video of BK receiving his diploma at DeSales University's Commencement Ceremony on May 21, 2022. Dana Smithers was last seen at 11 p.m. on Saturday, May 28, 2022, on her neighbor's Ring camera.

Dateline producers seemed to suggest that BK bought a knife on Amazon in April, IIRC. Do we have an exact date for when BK posted his "survey" online while he was at DeSales? I remember it was late in the academic year, but don't remember the date.

In any event, we don't know if there is any evidence to connect BK to the PA disappearance of Dana Smithers. Reporting in MSM is saying that BK has an alibi for the time of DS's disappearance. If BK's parents are testifying with regard to the alibi, it's posssible there was a significant event that occurred the weekend of May 28, 2022, and that is why the family remembers the date and where BK was at the time. But all this is just speculation.

Also, I don't think BK left for Pullman until early July when he drove across the country with his father. Someone had posted (way back on this forum) that BK's mother posted on Facebook that it was around the July 4th weekend and she was already missing her son as father and son had set out for the trip across the country for BK to start his doctoral program at WSU. IIRC.
If this wasn’t his first murder(s), I’ll eat my hat. He’s an outlier.

I don’t know PA at all. But definitely sounds as if something about the forensics may have led rapidly to a GJ.
I too am trying to think of other alternatives. age of victim means little with a serial killer. IMO.

I found an article where they interviewed the woman's sister. An armchair sleuth reached out to her and suggested BK as a possible suspect, and she turned that info over to LE. There is no cause of death for Dana Smithers and BK was not named as a suspect. My take on that article was that they are being thorough so that, if/when they charge someone, that person's attorney can't say they ignored BK as a suspect.

This article describes the danger of social media sleuths accusing innocent people of crimes and ruining lives in the process.

I just don't see how the legal system gets from "internet detectives mention BK" to "GJ for BK."

I'm not getting the connection described by the Sun. This accusation of free speech and the press is age old, and fortunately, protected in the US by our Constitution.

While SM posts can, I suppose, harm cases (it's amazing how few leaks in this one!), SM has also been used to solve cases (location data from people's phones and their postings, for example; verification via location services of where victims actually were, etc).

IMO.

I have to admit I did wince at the mispronunciation of Xana's name, and the wrong name altogether for Kaylee, and I thought it was a fair bet that their families would be offended by it, I would be too, but I have considered that JJJ was reading the names in front of him, and he could possibly be dyslexic. I'm not saying he is at all, it's just those seed to be the only places he stumbled, and they aren't everyday words that would be instantly recognisable like ones you read everyday.

That aside,I am surprised no-one anticipates this and gave him the correct pronunciations ahead of time.

*I've never heard of a Kernodle before, I also would struggle with Goncalves, and I would say Chapin as it sounds to my UK brain, CHAPPIN, as opposed to "SHAY-PIN" if I didn't know, and Xana could be "Zayna" or Zarna". Kaylee is hard to get wrong!

All jmo
Oh, I winced too! I'm just hoping this all dies down soon and does not affect the case going forward. Judge John Judge has shown his competence and integrity in all other ways so far in this case IMO. But even Judge Judge is human. And naturally this case is no walk in the park. His Honourable Judge John Judge has a job to get on with and I'm sincerely hoping that this can be put in the rear view mirror as soon as possible. I'm sure lessons have been learned.

Yes aside from above, likewise I would also struggle pronouncing all those names. Even though I've read them a million times, I've rarely heard them pronounced.

MOO
EBM clarity

Last edited:
Saw this so checked the Stroud Police department facebook page:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don't see how the legal system gets from "internet detectives mention BK" to "GJ for BK."

I'm not getting the connection described by the Sun. This accusation of free speech and the press is age old, and fortunately, protected in the US by our Constitution.

While SM posts can, I suppose, harm cases (it's amazing how few leaks in this one!), SM has also been used to solve cases (location data from people's phones and their postings, for example; verification via location services of where victims actually were, etc).

IMO.
But, is it a GJ for BK, or a GJ about the murder, and his parents just happen to be witnesses? He hasn't been named as a suspect, or even a person of interest, which I found key. Also, I found this FB post by the area police department and it says very clearly that they have NO evidence that ties him to her disappearance in ANY way. That's why I think they're just formally eliminating him, because he makes a great SODDI candidate for whoever eventually gets charged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member