4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #82

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've looked and can't find any evidence of BK living outside his parental home in Albrightsville, before moving to WSU. The records I search are property and rental records compiled by an online database (there's a fee). It's never been reported that he lived other than in his parents' home, so I"m going with "this was his first time away from home."
Wow, thank you for the info!

And so nice to see you on this thread, I remember liking a gazillion of your posts half a year ago!

I've never NOT heard of this being done! This was common when my husband and I were in grad school - for both the Masters and the PhD programs we attended (4 completely separate programs at different schools both private and public - ALL of them did this.)

I wonder if the difference is the type of graduate degree you were pursuing? My husband and I are both hard science degrees and business degrees.

I've heard of it in high school recruiting, but not in grad school post-recruiting.

Indeed, I've never heard of a free post-acceptance trip at all. Certainly the business school at the two universities I'm most familiar with did not and do not do this, but other than law schools, ed schools and social science grad programs, I don't have experience in business school or hard science programs.

I have known students who were given free trips to universities (PRE-acceptance) using diversity recruitment funds (but most of those trips were fairly local to the student).

Could be the difference in subject matter, for sure. Top notch science students definitely have access to more (professor-generated) research funds.

But the link you posted seems to indicate it's part of recruitment, and not something that was offered *after* acceptance. Not to disparage WSU, but its funding level is about the same as where I teach and we absolutely do not have the funds (in any discipline) to afford cross country trips for admitted grad students. We don't even do it for our most competitive and impacted disciplines (my program is not one of those, though so it's possible it has happened for certain individuals, but it must be sort of on the down-low).

WSU is an R1 institution, but I see nothing in the Criminal Justice program materials to indicate that they give ~8-10 people free trips to Pullman in between the time of acceptance and August.

IMO.

Newsweek cites a CARFAX of BKs car which a lot of news orgs used

Nicole Hernandez a reporter for Idaho's KREM news shared screenshots of the purported here

A lot of people kind of overlooked what stuck out to me the most in these Carfax reports. Look at the mileage. 15,000 mile increase over the course of 7 months while the car was still in PA. If the car was serviced in PA, where that mileage was recorded, IMO that means it's not inclusive of the final trip Kohlberger took to move to Moscow.

Prior to that BK was averaging just 8k+ miles a year in totality (12k over the last year). So he doubled the amount of mileage he typically used in a year...in just 7 months. A little over half the time.

When you consider the roundtrip back and forth from BK's home to Moscow Idaho is 5,000 miles or so. IMO BK had made that drive to Moscow at least once before his official move. And if you do the math of his typical driving patterns in that car (600 to 1000 miles a months) there's actually room for TWO trips back and fourth to Moscow over those 7 months.

IMO this is a much better explanation for some of LE's post "BK on the Radar" warrants going back to the beginning of the year. IMO they wanted to know what he was up to in his trips out to Pullman.

MOO
Thank you for posting this. This is excellent information.

Earlier portion snipped

On a slightly different topic, any thoughts on why BK's mail is now being vetted/sorted by his attorney? Does that mean anything the attorney approves gets to him - or does that just mean that the attorney sees the mail first and forwards whatever BK and she have decided is forwardable and the jail still does its due diligence? Anyone seen this in a prior case?

IMO
My guess is the defense does not want BK to step in a pile of dodo by letting out any information that might incriminate him. Sometimes the most innocent statements can come back to haunt someone. JMO

I've heard of it in high school recruiting, but not in grad school post-recruiting.

Indeed, I've never heard of a free post-acceptance trip at all. Certainly the business school at the two universities I'm most familiar with did not and do not do this, but other than law schools, ed schools and social science grad programs, I don't have experience in business school or hard science programs.

I have known students who were given free trips to universities (PRE-acceptance) using diversity recruitment funds (but most of those trips were fairly local to the student).

Could be the difference in subject matter, for sure. Top notch science students definitely have access to more (professor-generated) research funds.

But the link you posted seems to indicate it's part of recruitment, and not something that was offered *after* acceptance. Not to disparage WSU, but its funding level is about the same as where I teach and we absolutely do not have the funds (in any discipline) to afford cross country trips for admitted grad students. We don't even do it for our most competitive and impacted disciplines (my program is not one of those, though so it's possible it has happened for certain individuals, but it must be sort of on the down-low).

WSU is an R1 institution, but I see nothing in the Criminal Justice program materials to indicate that they give ~8-10 people free trips to Pullman in between the time of acceptance and August.

IMO.
<modsnip: not approved sources>
So, I guess this varies by school and discipline and my husband and I never knew this as we were flown out for student visits 100% of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip: not approved sources>
So, I guess this varies by school and discipline and my husband and I never knew this as we were flown out for student visits 100% of the time.

I can see it for Computer Science, for sure. And Chemistry, too.

My Wednesday research project has been looking into faculty in the WSU Criminology program and pondering the dynamics in that CJ 101 class that BK was TA'ing (for Prof Snyder, who looks differently than I had pictured him, definitely older than I had thought). I've been think about his "mock trial" set-up in his 101 class. He's a lawyer (without a doctorate in criminology - he has a JD and ran a successful criminal defense firm in Pullman). The mock trial thing is now making sense to me.

If BK did go out to Pullman (paid for or not - I assume not until I can find more evidence), he likely met with the doctoral program professors (maybe not Prof Snyder, who teaches only undergrad). But in the fall, I bet he met the other TA's (who would be colleagues in his grad program). At any rate, looking back over a few years of WSU schedules, it's clear that Prof Snyder is the one who does most of the work with TA's and therefore, I'm assuming he knows a bit about mentoring them. I can't imagine WSU putting someone into constant contact with the largest amount of undergrads is the person wasn't a great teacher.

At any rate, it seems likely that BK was in Pullman sometime before August, 2022. If it is true that he did break in to a colleague's apt (and then "help" her fix the problem by installing cameras and getting her wifi password), then he got himself off to a quick start of stalking upon arrival. Which makes me think he was at least thinking along these lines earlier in his life. "Let me help you."

Even if he was only there the week before school started, he would have had time to go to over to Moscow. He might even have heard about the shopping in Moscow from his profs. I assume there was a department wide get together either right before or after classes started. BK may have started out with high hopes for social and academic success, as most doctoral students do.

IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
RBBM

I was just reading an older article in the Idaho Statesman…. that mentions possible passengers….

What if BK was just the driver???

Police first asked for the public’s help in locating a white 2011-13 Hyundai Elantra on Dec. 7, stating that they believed the driver or any passengers had knowledge that could help the investigation.

This thought most likely falls into the possible category, rather than probable ….
I have wondered if there was someone else driving him every time I consider the tight timeline, but usually quickly rule it out. If he was dropped off before the car was seen turning around it does give him more time inside the house, but I admit it’s beyond unlikely.

Nicole Hernandez a reporter for Idaho's KREM news shared screenshots of the purported here

A lot of people kind of overlooked what stuck out to me the most in these Carfax reports. Look at the mileage. 15,000 mile increase over the course of 7 months while the car was still in PA. If the car was serviced in PA, where that mileage was recorded, IMO that means it's not inclusive of the final trip Kohlberger took to move to Moscow.

Prior to that BK was averaging just 8k+ miles a year in totality (12k over the last year). So he doubled the amount of mileage he typically used in a year...in just 7 months. A little over half the time.

When you consider the roundtrip back and forth from BK's home to Moscow Idaho is 5,000 miles or so. IMO BK had made that drive to Moscow at least once before his official move. And if you do the math of his typical driving patterns in that car (600 to 1000 miles a months) there's actually room for TWO trips back and fourth to Moscow over those 7 months.

IMO this is a much better explanation for some of LE's post "BK on the Radar" warrants going back to the beginning of the year. IMO they wanted to know what he was up to in his trips out to Pullman.

MOO
Thanks!

Re: Newsweek though.... Not accurate re: the car license plates. And Newsweek has published this wrong info a few times...

Page 9 of the PCA notes that on Nov 25, 2022 BK's car still had PA plates. Page 10 (bottom) notes registration was changed on Nov 18 but BK received the plates "later." Page 10 middle notes the PA plate was set to expire Nov 30, 2022.
JMO

MOO
Wow, I nominate you honorary detective first class! That was a great catch. :)

The Mad Greek....

I have no idea how long the manager has been managing there but is it possible that BK had in fact not been there in the fall of 2022.... but had been, when he may have been scoping out his prospective grad school town? Maybe much earlier than anyone considered. Maybe at a time other employees worked there and a different manager managed...

Maybe he didn't even eat there. Scoped it out. Sniff test, as it were... chatted outside with an employee... who wouldn't give him her home address...

Jmo
Not to discount your other excellent points, but the quoted manager has been the manager since Mad Greek opened.

MOO
Wow. Great work. Nicole Hernandez Tweet also says BK had his car repaired in Stroudsburg.

<snipped and emphasized for focus by me>

He hadn't seen the PCA at this point and the 2 months of the media's potrayal of LE's bumbling the case led him into a state of complacency and safety.

There are no reported sightings of BK wearing gloves or being particularly cautious in Pullman after the murders. We have multiple accounts from colleagues and students at the criminology school. None of them mention any odd behaviors that might be related to keeping your DNA away from LE.

He likely thought that turning off his cellular was enough. That the roads he cased didn't have an overwhelming presence of cameras. That the misidentification of the car's year was keeping him off LEs radar. And probably assumed that the sheath wasn't traceable back to him.
I agree with the above. I think he was confident at this point in time.
IMO the back to back stops in Indiana spooked him into modifying his behaviors. Being more cautious about his trash and the things he touched.
Yes, he looked very spooked and even angry, especially in the 2nd traffic stop.
But I still believe that he was confident enough to think LE didn't have enough on him. And I don't buy that the question he supposedly asked (which was contradicted by his lawyer I believe) "was anyone else arrested?" was more about trying to learn what LE knew....and not a sign of an accomplice or BK trying to play 4D chess with investigators.

MOO
I really think he was thinking about his father, when asking if anyone else was arrested. He knew it might look suspicious that they drove back together and they were stopped together twice.

BK being such a staunch, dedicated vegan, I'd wager he had been to MG on more than one occasion. There is no way an owner, manger or whatever can remember every single customer in and out of their restaurant.

I feel bad if this has hurt their business, they have no culpability regardless.

All MOO
Do you think MG is the only local restaurant with vegan options suspect BK patronized? I guess I’m not & I remain unsure if he ever was a MG customer — there are several places in Moscow & Pullman my vegan friends patronize. MG had a whole lot of non-local harassment because two of the victims worked there. I hope we learn more as more definitive info about BK’s movements during his time here as it becomes available. MOO

I don’t know if he’d been to MG previously or not, but I’m pretty comfortable that MG actually reviewed their records pretty carefully, as they said they did, before making the statement. MOO. Of course, if he used cash …

FWIW, according to business owners I know in town, cash purchases are uncommon. My better half is the only person I know who regularly carries paper money anymore — LOL.

Just a reminder for all: local businesses really went the extra mile to help LE, MOO, something I think sometimes gets lost in the bigger horrific picture. At least one instance of speculation about KG’s alleged stalker rumor was able to be tracked down, investigated, and ruled out due to efforts of local unnamed businesses & employees:

“Using tips and leads, investigators have identified an incident involving Kaylee at a local business, which may have been the stalker reference she made to friends and family. In mid-October, two males were seen inside a local business; they parted ways, and one male appeared to follow Kaylee inside the business and as she exited to walk toward her car. The male turned away, and it did not appear he made any contact with her. Detectives contacted both males and learned the two were attempting to meet women at the business, this was corroborated through additional investigation. Based on available information, detectives believe this was an isolated incident and not an ongoing pattern of stalking. No evidence suggests the two males were involved in the murders.”

Source: 12/5/2022 MPD Press Release

Also remember it was another local business employee who found surveillance video of a suspicious white vehicle that was collected by MPD on 12/13/22:
Idaho murders: Cops take hours of video from gas station after clerk spots white car on night of stabbings

And, of course, many other local businesses (& residents, property owners, etc) were just as cooperative if more quiet about it; some have also been subjected to seemingly endless online harassment, rumors, & crazy conspiracy theories. I personally know of several businesses that voluntarily reviewed their own surveillance videos & provided them to LE with no warrant necessary even though they spotted nothing suspicious.

All MOO & just filling in some older details for folks’ timelines that may have understandably been forgotten in the past several months that were quite consequential.

Thanks!

Re: Newsweek though.... Not accurate re: the car license plates. And Newsweek has published this wrong info a few times...

Page 9 of the PCA notes that on Nov 25, 2022 BK's car still had PA plates. Page 10 (bottom) notes registration was changed on Nov 18 but BK received the plates "later." Page 10 middle notes the PA plate was set to expire Nov 30, 2022.
JMO
It’s definitely not the Newsweek we grew up with! Since it was sold it has kind of gone downhill! I was trying to find a source I could cite so I could bring up the CarFax. Found them first then edited to add the local reporter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rocky.marie