4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #83

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He was under LE surveillance, they - LE - saw him putting something in neighbor's trash.

2 cents

Sure. They were watching him but the article says a break in the case came when a tip came in to investigate Kohberger. Then they collected DNA from the garbage cans. This has me wondering if one of his family members observed his glove wearing behavior and noted his car type and called the FBI to provide a tip to investigate him as they were surveilling him.

Last edited:
Sure. They were watching him but the article says a break in the case came when a tip came in to investigate Kohberger. Then they collected DNA from the garbage cans.
What article says they investigated BK just based on a tip?

A tip in an investigation is when someone reports something on the tip line.

They zeroed in on BK for all the reasons listed in the PCA. It is very clear.

What article says they investigated BK just based on a tip?

A tip in an investigation is when someone reports something on the tip line.

They zeroed in on BK for all the reasons listed in the PCA.

I understand that and did not say just. Re-read your posted yahoo article a few steps back. It said a "break in the case came when a tip came in", etc. (not that they were not already nearly at his door).

Rereading that made me think possibly a family member, neighbor or someone back in Moscow called in a tip just as they were surveilling him. Which may have led them to collect trash or maybe it just happened right after that.

This lines up with the somewhat unverified comments I can't remember what organization said it that the family was suspicious and even went out and looked at his car around Christmas, timing-wise.

Apparently it was Dateline.

Last edited:
I understand that and did not say just. Re-read your posted yahoo article a few steps back. It said a "break in the case came when a tip came in", etc. (not that they were not already nearly at his door).

We know how he ended up arrested and it was through alot of investigative work and yes, tips came in that no doubt helped build the case against BK.

The tip from WSU security about his car for one. Car video tips from surrounding businesses for another.

I re-read that article and it seems like the tip prompted them to go through the neighbors trash. So the tip, where could it have originated from, really? Family who observed behavior with gloves? Neighbors aware he was using their garbage can? Folks back in Moscow?
The article is a bit misleading. The tip was from the FBI. See the first paragraph on page 5 of the state's motion.

https://coi.isc.idaho.gov/docs/case/CR29-22-2805/061623 States Motion for Protective Order.pdf

The article is a bit misleading. The tip was from the FBI. See the first paragraph on page 5 of the state's motion.

https://coi.isc.idaho.gov/docs/case/CR29-22-2805/061623 States Motion for Protective Order.pdf

Yes, and thank you that is misleading. Not that I ever read news articles on Yahoo but when I did read this posted here today, I thought aha! I was going to say that not until today did I think it was possible that one of the family members or neighbors turned him in but I digress. That article is faulty.

A tip was sent in to investigate Kohberger. Tip?! Anyone care to speculate where this may have originated?
I remember reading here long time ago, about a tip from a WSU security officer, who had scanned all the student/staff parking permits for a white Elantra---and he phoned it in to Idaho LE as a tip.

ETA: just read the motion, page 5 discussing the FBI tip. I agree that happened and when they began to investigate him they found his name was already on the long list of local white Elantra owners. I am sure, seeing he was a criminology PHD student interested them.

Last edited:
[…]

The revelation about the DNA evidence came in a motion for a protective order sought by prosecutors. They do not want to release information regarding Investigative Genetic Genealogy used in the case to Kohberger’s defense.

“The State seeks to protect from disclosure the names and personal information of the hundreds of innocent relatives on the family tree, the names of the publicly available genetic genealogy services used, and certain other information,” prosecutors wrote in the motion.

[…]

Prosecutors lay out in the motion how the Idaho State Crime Lab developed a DNA profile from the knife sheath. That sheath, they claim, was found partially underneath the body of Maddie Mogen and comforter. Idaho State Police located the DNA profile on the sheath and determined it was from a single source and male.

Then, Idaho State Police contacted a private lab to develop a DNA profile that is used in genealogy, SNP. This step was taken after police could not locate a match to the profile found in the Combined DNA Index System or CODIS, which contains the profiles of known felons.

According to the motion, the FBI took over the genetic genealogy process after obtaining the SNP profile from the private lab. From there, agents built family trees using publicly available tools and data.

“Much of the information relied on by the FBI was only viewed through the user portal in the publicly available genetic genealogy service(s) and other investigative databases. The FBI did not download or create copies of those records,” the motion states.

Prosecutors claim this process did not generate records and isn’t covered under Idaho Rule 16. That rule governs what material must be turned over to the defense.

“I could see wanting to keep innocent parties out of a public record for a criminal case,” said James Bogen, a criminal defense attorney following the case. “As a defense attorney, you want to be able to look at everything that could be relevant to the evidence in the case.”

Prosecutors write later that they do not want to bar the release of other material related to DNA testing – only information related to genetic genealogy. The defense has requested the information.

[…]

In the PCA they describe the shoe print as diamond-shaped pattern similar to the pattern of a Vans type shoe sole, so it is not a Vans shoe, or at least they were not sure of it right?

Why only similar why not say it is a Vans shoe, or any other specific shoe type?

The vans shoe pattern is in my opinion very distinct and unique and easily identifiable, even if the pattern they found was a small part of a whole shoe sole. Not to mention if there were more shoe prints. More and bigger shoe sole patterns easier identification be it any type of shoe not just Vans.

Based on this can we assume they were not able to identify what kind of shoe was it? If yes how so? They had time and tools for it.
Good points, @Sozo.

This reminds me of a similar (to me) issue on this case regarding LE not being able to identify BK's car, definitively anyway, IMO.

The article goes into the DNA testing, etc. The local news seems to be getting things right without sensationalizing. I re-read the part quoted below a couple of times...

"Instead, in the affidavit, police never indicated how they settled on Kohberger. The affidavit includes a breakdown of cellphone location data tied to Kohberger and video footage of a white sedan as it made the trip between Pullman and the victims’ home in Moscow, and back again. Kohberger owned a white 2015 Hyundai Elantra."

Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/crime/article276611776.html#storylink=cpy

I re-read that article and it seems like the tip prompted them to go through the neighbors trash. So the tip, where could it have originated from, really? Family who observed behavior with gloves? Neighbors aware he was using their garbage can? Folks back in Moscow?

Possibly the WSU Pullman campus police who learned that one of their students drove a white Elantra and passed that information on to LE investigating the case.

We know how he ended up arrested and it was through alot of investigative work and yes, tips came in that no doubt helped build the case against BK.

The tip from WSU security about his car for one. Car video tips from surrounding businesses for another.
I don't really understand what relief the defense is seeking and maybe a lawyer here can help us...

IMO this is not the case of 'fruit from a poisoned tree', because the dna profile that ultimately matched to BK's cheek swab was pulled from the sheath by the local lab.

If the defense successfully argues that BK would not have been arrested without the genealogy...then waht? That in of itself is not related in anyway to the local dna profile so you can't throw that out. Is the argument now that BK can never ever be arrested since the controversial dna method/sample was used to finalize the warrant...now that gets tossed out and every piece of evidence collected since and this case remain unsolved forever?

Again, the local profile is completely unrelated.

So what's the end game here?

I don't really understand what relief the defense is seeking and maybe a lawyer here can help us...

IMO this is not the case of 'fruit from a poisoned tree', because the dna profile that ultimately matched to BK's cheek swab was pulled from the sheath by the local lab.

If the defense successfully argues that BK would not have been arrested without the genealogy...then waht? That in of itself is not related in anyway to the local dna profile so you can't throw that out. Is the argument now that BK can never ever be arrested since the controversial dna method/sample was used to finalize the warrant...now that gets tossed out and every piece of evidence collected since and this case remain unsolved forever?

I think the end game is that they don't have a lot to work with, but their client hasn't indicated an interest in making a plea deal, so they have to work with what they got. It probably won't stop anything, but they have to try. They're hardly the first lawyers to find themselves in that position. (See also the Josh Duggar case.)

Maybe the neighbor tipped in. If a neighbor had a kid who drove a white Elantra while going to school 10 miles from where a quadruple murder that was on national news along with a nationwide appeal to report white Elantras, and that kid put items in my trash at 4am and I saw it over early coffee, I would tip it in.

Last edited:
The beauty of the DNA sample collected from #BryanKohberger was that law enforcement got a Search Warrant to collect it. Why? If they conducted the search incident to arrest or administratively pursuant to processing, the defense would have had more avenues to contest it. A Judge said they had PC to collect BK's DNA sample. Great job by LE closing the loop on loop holes especially considering the Sheath is the Dagger the prosecution needs to win this case and ensure justice is served for the victims. We talked about it last night on @ChrisCuomo

Many are asking about where the sheath was found. Specifically it states below in the new documents. This is just more specific than what we already knew. It was a murderous assault, a rage, and the person who did this did not have the sheath secured properly. Without the sheath, it would seem the case would not have broken as quickly.

I think the Defense is just compiling reams and reams of paper (Motions) to combat a case on technicalities that they know they don't have a chance of on anything else. Stall tactics and spaghetti defense IMO. AT is quite good at this.

I wonder how much input BK is having with his Defense?

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member