a view from the inside: observations from our own court observers #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When Juan would tell the judge that the witness (ALV) was being "unresponsive" that meant that she did not answer the question with a yes/no as she had been asked to do. Her babbling answer would be stricken from the record and the judge would admonish her to answer the question as the Prosecutor posed it. ALV still would not give a yes/no answer however. Her testimony was so painful for me to listen to, it was like pulling teeth! :banghead: I will be so glad to see ALV just GO.

I was thinking about it earlier and if they told the jury to disregard all of her testimony I would be glad I wasn't a juror because I've gotten her's an Dr. S mixed up in my mind by this point. (I think I was already disregarding them) :blushing:

When Juan would tell the judge that the witness (ALV) was being "unresponsive" that meant that she did not answer the question with a yes/no as she had been asked to do. Her babbling answer would be stricken from the record and the judge would admonish her to answer the question as the Prosecutor posed it. ALV still would not give a yes/no answer however. Her testimony was so painful for me to listen to, it was like pulling teeth! :banghead: I will be so glad to see ALV just GO.

Yes, I think we all have had enough of that ! And her hands flailing all around with every answer drove me insane! Whew.. Bye bye to her.

Not that I was told but Dennis the camera man does think he has it. I've just not been informed about it. I really don't think this issue is about that. I do think that was handled back then. Sadly Nurmi drags out this "photo op" business with Grace Wong (it appears at least) and this "Victim approach" issue is handled behind closed doors.

I'm just glad I was able to bring some AWARENESS to it from a Victims Rights perspective. In the judicial system (here in the US), murderers enjoy so many more rights than the victims families...well of course until they are incarcerated then...well buh bye to your rights. Such as FREEDOM. :seeya:

In my opinion, ALV approaching Samantha if FAR worse than the cane signing etc. that Nurmy is bellyaching about.

I really hope to find out in the future if that woman gets fined for approaching Sam in the courtroom. That was just uncalled for and very egregious on ALV's behalf, shows contempt and lack of empathy IMO.

Thank you KCL for helping Sam in that moment and for being there with the family day in and day out. It means so much to us who cannot be there.

Yes, I think we all have had enough of that ! And her hands flailing all around with every answer drove me insane! Whew.. Bye bye to her.

Yes, the hand flailing! Oh my gosh, it was like she was holding her hands up to the heavens somewhat like a televangelist would do. Drove me bat@#it crazy! Bye bye ALV and don't ever show up on my computer screen again!

Yes, the hand flailing! Oh my gosh, it was like she was holding her hands up to the heavens somewhat like a televangelist would do. Drove me bat@#it crazy! Bye bye ALV and don't ever show up on my computer screen again!

You just "tickled my innerds"with that reply! LOL Hey we have a cat we inherited a few mos. ago we took in! Showed up out of "No-where" and we call this one Cat! Older. Sweet!

You just "tickled my innerds"with that reply! LOL Hey we have a cat we inherited a few mos. ago we took in! Showed up out of "No-where" and we call this one Cat! Older. Sweet! 4 altogether! That is enough.

In my opinion, ALV approaching Samantha if FAR worse than the cane signing etc. that Nurmy is bellyaching about.

I really hope to find out in the future if that woman gets fined for approaching Sam in the courtroom. That was just uncalled for and very egregious on ALV's behalf, shows contempt and lack of empathy IMO.

Thank you KCL for helping Sam in that moment and for being there with the family day in and day out. It means so much to us who cannot be there.

Right there with ya magpie. And..thank you!

The times I'm speaking of the above bolded didn't happen. It was more like 'point acknowledged' and then onward. I know JS did that sometimes but not everytime.

Docket for the next two weeks

4/15/2013 11:00 Trial
4/16/2013 9:30 Trial
4/17/2013 9:30 Trial
4/18/2013 9:30 Trial
4/23/2013 9:30 Trial
4/24/2013 9:30 Trial
4/25/2013 9:30 Trial

The 22nd is out because a juror has other commitments. Nothing for the 26th yet even though they were going to hold court

Thanks! :seeya: So it looks like they are not in court this coming Friday, and then again on Monday.

What happened to the judge saying they would begin working on Fridays? I was really hoping there would be a speeding up of this process, but looks like I was wrong. :(

The times I'm speaking of the above bolded didn't happen. It was more like 'point acknowledged' and then onward. I know JS did that sometimes but not everytime.

Yeah, I should have said that's the way it's supposed to happen, but the judge was very lax about it. Maybe Judge Sherry just knew it wouldn't do any good with this uncooperative witness. Wish she would have though because then maybe ALV would have stopped "acting up" so badly.

Thanks! :seeya: So it looks like they are not in court this coming Friday, and then again on Monday.

What happened to the judge saying they would begin working on Fridays? I was really hoping there would be a speeding up of this process, but looks like I was wrong. :(

IIRC the judge asked about upcoming Fridays and added ones where the jury said they could be present. It's not 100% clear what's happening next.
11:00 today - Grace Wong/decision on earlier misconduct claim.
1:30 today - Judge asked jury to keep it open. I believe it will be used for ALV if she returns today and so would be cancelled otherwise.
9:30 tomorrow - Would start with ALV if she picked Tue rather than Mon.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that if the defense has another witness, that person won't testify until the ALV business is closed. Otherwise it would seem the jury could continue with that witness this afternoon and get to ALV first thing tomorrow if ALV skipped today.

So that also opens up the possibility that if for whatever reason (valid or invalid) ALV says she won't be there by tomorrow morning that it will hold up the trial until she returns by choice or by force.

Witnesses can be taken out of order if ALV chooses Tuesday over Monday. At this point the judge probably doesn't want to lose an entire day of court. Therefore, we could see the defense's next/last witness at 1:30 p.m. AZ time. Last week there was speculation/rumors that they intend to recall their computer forensics guy Lonnie Dworkin.

Good Evening Everyone!

I come home to 46 PM's...wow!

I'm gonna wait til Midnight to pull my name for the winner so anyone who wants to participate can still get in on it.

I've heard from Samantha and by 4pm or so it was clear we'd exceeded my goal of $5K in one day (today). WOW!!! By the way, the family had no idea this was coming until a couple hours after I kicked the pebble that started the avalanche.

And this was NOT taking in to consideration one single donor who, outside of the paypal system, sent $3500 today in honor of this effort. As they said to me "I want to make sure you will meet your goal today".

Again, WOW!

I've not asked the total, nor will I. But you can do the math if the goal was exceeded this afternoon plus that huge donation and many more coming in from that...well that's a nice ball of love and relief to this family who have desperately needed it. The "desperately" word is mine because they are much like I am...strong and stoic and won't ask for assistance. I just sort of saw this need and like most of you, felt like I wanted to help and feel such an extraordinary gratitude to be able to sit with them in court that I just had to do something.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for getting on board with this project with me.

This was like "church" for me all day long.

I can't wait to see their faces tomorrow..and on top of that, I'm bringing the tie to Steven and also some other cards that have been sent to me.

I have a feeling this avalanche of love will be palpable in the courtroom tomorrow...watch on the feed and see what you see.

Now off to respond to all these pm's.

I will announce the contest winner by morning (if not 12:01 tonite).

I have the ribbon boxed and ready to send.

:seeya:

Oh and PS. Sam texted me and said she'd seen me on the news...??? I guess they re ran the piece today that was filmed last week about my assisting the Alexanders and fund raising for them....what timing huh???

Just wanted to say if I had not read your Pay it Forward request on here I would probably not done it. I am leery about Facebook and online scams but this smaller family like group on here is what made the difference. Made me and my husband feel good to be a part:)) Reading all the other posters love, support and VERY insightful thoughts makes this the best place to go concerning this trial...:great:

I am thinking Juan is setting ALV's testimony up to be impeached.

Juan is great fun to watch, and I believe he most certainly set ALV up to be and then did impeach her. Just to clarify, when a lawyer cross examines a witness, that itself is the process of impeachment.

A successful cross examination = impeached witness. The end :)

The jury can now disregard part or all of her testimony.

This was like "church" for me all day long.

Katiecool, just love that comment in the quote. As someone who has long been of the mindset that "church" can be wherever you are, I am so glad for you that you had an energizing, revitalizing day. It is a treat to watch you go from retreating to finding a way to open back up and reaping the psychological rewards.

Very, Very, Very heartwarming for all of us to watch and to be a part of actively, physically helping Travis' family. They have been so dignified through this process, it's impossible not to admire them and feel for them. We don't get to hug them. But all together this is going to be like one huge hug from so many Websleuthers. Thank you for letting everyone get energized and help them in one big BAM moment. It's very exciting :)

And a perfect way to end ALV's ridiculous testimony. Heheh

Good morning Katie and everyone,

Just sent some $ to the Alexander family fund thru Paypal this AM. Not much, but all I could afford.
Thanks for all your hard work.

Witnesses can be taken out of order if ALV chooses Tuesday over Monday. At this point the judge probably doesn't want to lose an entire day of court. Therefore, we could see the defense's next/last witness at 1:30 p.m. AZ time. Last week there was speculation/rumors that they intend to recall their computer forensics guy Lonnie Dworkin.

But if the judge was going to proceed this way, then it seems like she would have told the jury to definitely come in this afternoon rather than plan on it but wait for a possible call this morning to kill it. Some of the insiders who hear more scuttlebutt and clarifications afterward can correct me on that if I'm wrong.

I had to look up a picture to remind me who Dworkin was. Didn't JM make mincemeat out of him on cross? If his credibility is shot, I'm not sure what good he does unless it's to try to pre-empt something new JM is introducing in rebuttal. Hey insiders - any rumors on what he might talk about?

But if the judge was going to proceed this way, then it seems like she would have told the jury to definitely come in this afternoon rather than plan on it but wait for a possible call this morning to kill it. Some of the insiders who hear more scuttlebutt and clarifications afterward can correct me on that if I'm wrong.

I had to look up a picture to remind me who Dworkin was. Didn't JM make mincemeat out of him on cross? If his credibility is shot, I'm not sure what good he does unless it's to try to pre-empt something new JM is introducing in rebuttal. Hey insiders - any rumors on what he might talk about?

Keen observations!!!! I am not an insider but JM does have a forensic computer expert listed on rebuttal witness list so this would make sense in regards to Dworkin.

I did note that JS said Friday that "We will be here starting at 9:30 Monday " after she ordered Wong to be there to testify at 11:00..So I guess I will launch live stream at 12:30 my time as to not miss anything???!?

It wasn't JSS's fault. A juror had asked for next Monday off (22nd). JSS had asked about people's availability last and next Friday (26th) so I'm sure by next week, we'll have a time for then.

IIRC JW chose not to redirect on Friday and that ALV is done apart from the other 'issue.' After the end of the latest mistrial saga, hopefully the DT will move on to their last witness.

ETA To the new people, come and play in the discussion thread :)

Here's the latest update from WAT
WildAboutTrial ‏@WildAboutTrial 9h

Haven't heard back from court yet but I will be down there at 9:00ish to give you all the details on the #jodiarias trial. Stay tuned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro