A view from the inside: observations from our own court observers

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page 4

14 swiveling back and forth in his chair. Looking around at the ceiling.

*Talking about choking (BS cough) incident at this point*

JA's body seems to be turned more towards the jury instead of facing JM. She's hard to see, but it looks like she's looking down or up more than directly at anyone.

"Called MM about the choking"

JM says MM said he didn't remember it. - Objection Sidebar

JA looking down

JM does not come across as agressive in real life. It seems more animated on TV. It might be because I can't see his face, but he's coming off direct... or he's trying to be direct and she won't let him. Anyway, he doesn't seem as loud in there as he does on TV.

She is so frustrating!! Answer his dang question!

MM never saw the bruises? Phone call vs. seeing her? I was a little confused at this point.

She admitted to memorizing dates, etc. based on info she was given to review!!!! Holy carp! *This was on the side, so I'm not sure at what point this happened. I have to go back and re-watch this.

I don't blame you . . . I got lost trying to transcribe this part too! I didn't know if we were up, down, in, out, by phone, in person, seeing or not, remember or not . . . . where were we again?

http://www.indiabix.com/body-language/hand-to-face-gestures/

The Mouth Guard (Saw jurors 5, 6, 7, 8, 14, & 18 do this)
The mouth guard is one of the few adult gestures that is as obvious as a child's. The hand covers the mouth and the thumb is pressed against the cheek as the brain sub-consciously instructs it to try and suppress the deceitful words that are being said. Sometimes this gesture may only be several fingers over the mouth or even a closed fist, but its meaning remains the same.
Many people try to disguise the mouth guard gesture by giving a fake cough.If the person who is speaking uses this gesture, it indicates that he is telling a lie. If, however, he covers his mouth while you are speaking, it indicates that he feels you are lying!

The Nose Touch (Saw jurors 7, 8, & 18 do this)
In essence, the nose touch gesture is a sophisticated, disguised version of the mouth guard gesture. It may consist of several light rubs below the nose or it may be one quick, almost imperceptible touch. Like the mouth guard gesture, it can be used both by the speaker to disguise his own deceit and by the listener who doubts the speaker’s words.

The Eye Rub (14 did this a lot. I also saw 18 do it)
'See no evil' says the wise monkey, and this gesture is the brain's attempt to block out the deceit, doubt or lie that it sees or to avoid having to look at the face of the person to whom he is telling the lie. Men usually rub their eyes vigorously and if the lie is a big one they will often look away, normally towards the floor. Women use a small, gentle rubbing motion just below the eye, either because they have been brought up to avoid making robust gestures, or to avoid smudging make-up. They also avoid a listener’s gaze by looking at the ceiling.

Boredom Gesture (Saw jurors 2, 7, 11, 14, & 18 do this)
When the listener begins to use his hand to support his head, it is a signal that boredom has set in and his supporting hand is an attempt to hold his head up to stop himself from falling asleep. Extreme boredom and lack of interest are shown when the head is fully supported by the hand.

Chin Stroking Gestures (Saw jurors 7, 14, & 18 do this)
When the index finger points vertically up the cheek and the thumb supports the chin, the listener is having negative or critical thoughts about the speaker or his subject. Often the index finger may rub or pull at the eye as the negative thoughts continue.
The next time you have the opportunity to present an idea to a group of people, watch them carefully as you give your idea and you will notice something fascinating. Most, if not all the members of your audience will bring one hand up to their faces and begin to use evaluation gestures. As you come to the conclusion of your presentation and ask for the group to give opinions or suggestions about the idea, the evaluation gestures will cease. One hand will move to the chin and begin a chin-stroking gesture.
This chin-stroking gesture is the signal that the listener is making a decision. When you have asked the listeners for a decision and their gestures have changed from evaluation to decision-making.

I wish I would've taken more notes regarding what was being said at the times I saw each of these, but it's hard to pay attention and scribble everything down. I was interested by Anita's question to JD about JA rubbing her neck though, so things started to stick out to me. Turns out all the gestures I noted are signs of doubt, etc. Interesting!! :great:

Thank you so much for posting your notes! I was so disappointed that so many WSers were there and nothing was posted earlier. I've been waiting all day to hear what everyone thought/felt in the courtroom. Thanks for being our eyes and ears in the courtroom! It's greatly appreciated!! Your jury description was fantastic as well as your notes!!!

No problem! I know the other ladies will give their viewpoints too. I only got home early because I had to get my son. It was really great meeting them and talking with TA's friends and TOK. I wish I could've stayed longer! I was nervous going because it takes me a while to get comfortable around new people, but everyone was super friendly!

I remember how eagerly I was waiting for KatieCoolady's notes, so I wanted to get mine up quick. It's a pretty draining experience though, so I understand better now the need to unwind a little before jumping on here. :)

No problem! I know the other ladies will give their viewpoints too. I only got home early because I had to get my son. It was really great meeting them and talking with TA's friends and TOK. I wish I could've stayed longer! I was nervous going because it takes me a while to get comfortable around new people, but everyone was super friendly!

I remember how eagerly I was waiting for KatieCoolady's notes, so I wanted to get mine up quick. It's a pretty draining experience though, so I understand better now the need to unwind a little before jumping on here. :)

Thanks for all the good info about jurors that's what I am curious about.. Are they buying this chit?? Hoping no way but they also don't know all the info we on the "outside" Thanks! :)

That is so awesome you guys!! I wish I could be there but stuck watching from here :(

Everyone from Atlanta raise their hands! We'll do the same thing for Andrea Sniderman case here that is a BIGGIE this fall!

http://www.indiabix.com/body-language/hand-to-face-gestures/

The Mouth Guard (Saw jurors 5, 6, 7, 8, 14, & 18 do this)
The mouth guard is one of the few adult gestures that is as obvious as a child's. The hand covers the mouth and the thumb is pressed against the cheek as the brain sub-consciously instructs it to try and suppress the deceitful words that are being said. Sometimes this gesture may only be several fingers over the mouth or even a closed fist, but its meaning remains the same.
Many people try to disguise the mouth guard gesture by giving a fake cough.If the person who is speaking uses this gesture, it indicates that he is telling a lie. If, however, he covers his mouth while you are speaking, it indicates that he feels you are lying!

821729-jodi-arias-boyfriend-slaying.jpg

Thanks for all the good info about jurors that's what I am curious about.. Are they buying this chit?? Hoping no way but they also don't know all the info we on the "outside" Thanks! :)

I would say no. Honestly, when I first came out... I wasn't as sure as I would've liked. I was more reassured while going through my notes though. They don't give a lot of expressions and it's really hard to read people when they've been told not to have reactions. The only one that made me nervous is Maureen.

Going back through my notes and remembering the little things....I'd say they are over her. She really does come off as robotic when she turns towards the jury and the 2 closest people to her don't even look her way. I don't think she is truly connecting with them. Maureen is the only one that might be buying into some of it. Maybe she's just staring her down though? Lol it's hard to be sure.

BOMBSHELL TONITE!!!

I was able to sneak not one but TWO hugs from our non hugging poster WhatsupAZ tonite.

:great:

(she and Frigga are still finding their ways home so may still post updates yet tonite..they both had time in the courtroom today and WuT had a great experience with a Tru Tv personality I think she'll share)

BOMBSHELL TONITE!!!

I was able to sneak not one but TWO hugs from our non hugging poster WhatsupAZ tonite.

:great:

(she and Frigga are still finding their ways home so may still post updates yet tonite..they both had time in the courtroom today and WuT had a great experience with a Tru Tv personality I think she'll share)

Oh, was she a non-hugger? She should have said something lol. :floorlaugh:

Even though I didn't get into the courtroom, I had fun talking with everyone tonight. :seeya:

Hi all! Super cool to get in! I am hoping to get back in for afternoon session. Love meeting all he WS'ers in person!

If all of you are there tomorrow please take a "team photo" for us!

(Life supply of pop rocks & tootsie pops for the WS'er who brings a camera and gets JA to take a "professional" pic of y'all!!!) :floorlaugh:

(Life supply of pop rocks & tootsie pops for the WS'er who brings a camera and gets JA to take a "professional" pic of y'all!!!) :floorlaugh:

The bartender was forced to take photos from 3 different angles with 5 different phones. I can't believe none have been posted. :waitasec:

We got one...or 15 today! Just need to figure out how to upload it (Anita Richman says I can do it without an url?).

I'm soo sleepy though now...will figure it out in the manana.:seeya:

Thank You for your updates. Now we know what the defense is thinking:)

The Nose Touch (Saw jurors 7, 8, & 18 do this)
In essence, the nose touch gesture is a sophisticated, disguised version of the mouth guard gesture. It may consist of several light rubs below the nose or it may be one quick, almost imperceptible touch. Like the mouth guard gesture, it can be used both by the speaker to disguise his own deceit and by the listener who doubts the speaker’s words.

Ok... I am home! I would love to jump right on and post.... but my wonderful hubby waited up and saved a plate of dinner for me and wants to talk endlessly about his stressful day of daddy daycare and how he is now superman. Give me a few, I'll get it up hete!

Question for our court observers: If Juror 14 is sleeping - isn't that a problem? Grounds for appeal? I thought all jurors had to stay awake?

Thanks,

Mel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members