A view from the inside: observations from our own court observers

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, that got me thinking. Maybe those of us attending in person are less affected by his aggression because you see him before and after court and sometimes on breaks coming over and interacting w/ the family. He's very relaxed, he smiles, he chats, he's warm, you see him in a different light. Maybe that has something to do with it. But dayum, he's focused when he's "on".

And ya know nurmi got all this slack from the same TH saying how this trial is a DP trial and someone's on trial for their life and how his behavior is theatre but that's ok blah blah blah.

Well guess what? This is LIFE AND DEATH for Juan Martinez too in the respect that someone's LIFE was TAKEN. And so he gets to be as passionate and aggressive and outraged as he wants to be. Believe me, he's on the front lines of and expressing the emotions of many many people in that courtroom. Including me.

I don't think I've seen that thought expressed ANY BETTER. ANYWHERE. By ANYONE. Made my night! :)

New here as a participant, but I've very much enjoyed reading all the input from the courtroom observers. Very jealous of your ability to see this community theater production in person, starring the world's most unconvincing actress "The Thing That Calls Itself Jodi Arias". I'm ashamed of how hooked I am on this Cirque de Surreal. If I lived a little closer, or didn't care so much about my marriage, I'd hop on a plane and get in line. I'd love to just stare daggers at the <mod snip> on the stand for a few hours. I think it would be hilarious if everyone in the gallery adopted the VonTrapp pose and stare directly at the <mod snip> as it attempts to make mind contact with the jurors, who no doubt already have their first ballots filled out. I happened to be looking at an online story about this case, featuring a picture of the <mod snip> with the herd of daddy long legs attacking her forehead, and one of my three year old twin daughters asked me: "Daddy, who's that..?" I said: "Jodi Arias", and she said "<mod snip>?" I smiled and said: close enough."
I have become so in awe of Juan Martinez's masterful cross examination technique. A lesser prosecutor would have gotten thrown off stride by the creature's inability to utter simple answers without unnecessary and self-serving asides, editorial comments and snarks. The <mod snip> reminds me so much of Regan, the little girl who was possessed by the devil in The Exorcist, when she was having her first tete-a-tetes with the priests, trying to get into their heads. I'm certain the Girl Who No Guy Wanted or Could Stand for Any Length of Time can probably turn its head 360 degrees and throw up pea soup on command. He is being extremely methodical in his approach to the evidence, and has knowingly allowed <mod snip> to up her level of condescension and nastiness so that the jury forgets about the timid little school marm <mod snip> Nurmi tried to portray her as. I may even have a man crush on JM. As for the <mod snip>, if I thought she would feel it I would punch my computer screen every time they get a close up of her way-too-close-together shark eyes trying to stare down this skilled prosecutor. I envy you first person observers: what a trip it must be to be in that atmosphere. I have to hand it to the Alexander siblings: can't even imagine what it has to be like to be forced to sit just a few feet away from the waste of skin that killed your cool and successful brother and see her perpetuating the hurt with character assassination against a man who can't rebut her. On this, JM is Travis' voice, and he is speaking beautifully.

Jodi Arias will be convicted by this jury and sentenced to death.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I'm unafraid of any of the jurors not coalescing to that only reasonable decision.

I feel the same. I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe there is one or more jurors who believes her self defense claim.

New here as a participant, but I've very much enjoyed reading all the input from the courtroom observers. Very jealous of your ability to see this community theater production in person, starring the world's most unconvincing actress "The Thing That Calls Itself Jodi Arias". I'm ashamed of how hooked I am on this Cirque de Surreal. If I lived a little closer, or didn't care so much about my marriage, I'd hop on a plane and get in line. I'd love to just stare daggers at the swamp creature on the stand for a few hours. I think it would be hilarious if everyone in the gallery adopted the VonTrapp pose and stare directly at the creature as it attempts to make mind contact with the jurors, who no doubt already have their first ballots filled out. I happened to be looking at an online story about this case, featuring a picture of the beast with the herd of daddy long legs attacking her forehead, and one of my three year old twin daughters asked me: "Daddy, who's that..?" I said: "Jodi Arias", and she said "Jay *advertiser censored*?" I smiled and said: close enough."
I have become so in awe of Juan Martinez's masterful cross examination technique. A lesser prosecutor would have gotten thrown off stride by the creature's inability to utter simple answers without unnecessary and self-serving asides, editorial comments and snarks. The beast reminds me so much of Regan, the little girl who was possessed by the devil in The Exorcist, when she was having her first tete-a-tetes with the priests, trying to get into their heads. I'm certain the Girl Who No Guy Wanted or Could Stand for Any Length of Time can probably turn its head 360 degrees and throw up pea soup on command. He is being extremely methodical in his approach to the evidence, and has knowingly allowed Jay *advertiser censored* to up her level of condescension and nastiness so that the jury forgets about the timid little school marm Sasquatch Nurmi tried to portray her as. I may even have a man crush on JM. As for the butcher of Mesa, if I thought she would feel it I would punch my computer screen every time they get a close up of her way-too-close-together shark eyes trying to stare down this skilled prosecutor. I envy you first person observers: what a trip it must be to be in that atmosphere. I have to hand it to the Alexander siblings: can't even imagine what it has to be like to be forced to sit just a few feet away from the waste of skin that killed your cool and successful brother and see her perpetuating the hurt with character assassination against a man who can't rebut her. On this, JM is Travis' voice, and he is speaking beautifully.

Excellent first post...welcome! Please pop on to the ongoing daily thread as many more posters are there and your opinions and participation would be greatly appreciated! I like your style! :seeya:

BREAKING NEWS!!! First thing. There is a question in the juror box for questions right now. It was passed from the girl (gotta look at nicknames) sitting next to Maureen today. Yes, Maureen was full in to her naval intelligence today. I don't know how to read that. The juror question page looked to me like two pages 8X11 dog eared together. Passed in the first part of the afternoon.

I noticed Nurmi had his navel intelligence going in Juan's direction. :) Just had to throw that out there. LOL!

Hi KCL, PASA, and all our awesome court observers!

I have a question: Some of us are BUGGED by the chronic COUGHING that is going on in the courtroom.

I semi-seriously smell a *Coughing Conspiracy* to throw Juan Martinez off his game (as if that were possible.......riiiiight).

Is the coughing noticeable to you?? Or are we (me) just old and cranky?

Why doesn't the bailiff give the hackers the boot????

Love Love Love your insider coverage!! Thanks!!!!

Thanks so much for your insights today! They were AWESOME and MUCH appreciated! My husband had been using my car and called me on his cell phone JUST as Jodi took the stand from the afternoon break. I answered & said, "I suppose NOW is the time you have chosen for us to pick up your work van from the mechanic?"

Needless to say, it was a quiet ride there and a speedy drive back. I only missed about 30 minutes! (I bought a WHITE car anticipating these occasions! ) :blushing:

Out of everything, my FAVORITE part: YOU got a smile from Juan Martinez! :razz:

Thanks again and tell Travis' family and friends they have support and prayers all the way from Alabama!

and from wyandotte michigan

To the courtroom observers:

Thank you for telling us that the jury does NOT acknowledge the <mod snip>'s sorry VonTrapp pose, which I've described as part wounded puppy dog, part recently laid off librarian and part psychotic robot. The video stream makes you wonder if she is actually making eye contact or exchanging smiles or other niceties with the jurors. VERY happy to know that's not happening. That would be disturbing.

Thank you for sharing all the little personal anecdotes about interactions with Travis' family. They have demonstrated remarkable strength and courage - and no shortage of will power in resisting what must be a huge temptation to jump the rail and de-Jodi the world.

Are the jurors able to or allowed to show outward reactions to what is being said in the courtroom? I know you've said there are restrictions on reactions among courtroom observers - just wondering if you see jurors rolling their eyes, snickering, or vomiting into buckets or having any other types of normal human reactions to the stuff they're hearing from the queen of "that's my story and I'm sticking to it as I change it as I go".

Does the <mod snip> ever make eye contact with Travis' family?

<mod snip>

Do you hear any scuttlebutt on whether <mod snip> - er - Nurmi and his female silent sidekick actually believe in their client, or have they come to the light?

Can you imagine Clarence Darrow or any other trial lawyer of old sitting in on this trial, with the bold and uncensored language and images that are being displayed? It's tough to shock me, but I have had a few WTF moments listening to someone as skilled and articulate as Juan Martinez say **** and pussy in his questions...it's surreal.

Thank you, observers, for the time you take to share the wealth of information only those who are THERE can report...without the constraints the talking heads face.

ITA with you about BK. she came out and had to explain to the entire panel of five why JM has to take his time with this cagey snake of a defendant. He's got this one shot at her and he needn't be rushed because They say so!

They base their analysis on what? Have they ever dealt with a JA?

I had to shut them down and put some much needed comedy on!

jumping off your post, respectfully.

If the TH starts in about Juan being too harsh with ja, or he's had her on the stand too long I ignore that person.
She was up there for days and days blabbering about how Travis was a pedophile, abused her, forced her to do sex acts she didn't want to do...blah blah blah... I want Juan to have a chance to clear Travis' name in addition to exposing her for the crime (MOO) she committed.

I've yet to see anything that even hints at self defense. MOO :)

MrLanders-

Thank you for your eloquence. Welcome to WS. Glad to have you here.

To the courtroom observers:

Thank you for telling us that the jury does NOT acknowledge the creature's sorry VonTrapp pose, which I've described as part wounded puppy dog, part recently laid off librarian and part psychotic robot. The video stream makes you wonder if she is actually making eye contact or exchanging smiles or other niceties with the jurors. VERY happy to know that's not happening. That would be disturbing.

Thank you for sharing all the little personal anecdotes about interactions with Travis' family. They have demonstrated remarkable strength and courage - and no shortage of will power in resisting what must be a huge temptation to jump the rail and de-Jodi the world.

Are the jurors able to or allowed to show outward reactions to what is being said in the courtroom? I know you've said there are restrictions on reactions among courtroom observers - just wondering if you see jurors rolling their eyes, snickering, or vomiting into buckets or having any other types of normal human reactions to the stuff they're hearing from the queen of "that's my story and I'm sticking to it as I change it as I go".

Does the swamp creature ever make eye contact with Travis' family?

Will mama Arias and her Doppelganger/sister be writing a "How to.." parenting, fashion, courtroom etiquette and genetic mutation book? May I suggest as a title: "Even WE think she's nuts".

Do you hear any scuttlebutt on whether Sasquatch - er - Nurmi and his female silent sidekick actually believe in their client, or have they come to the light?

Can you imagine Clarence Darrow or any other trial lawyer of old sitting in on this trial, with the bold and uncensored language and images that are being displayed? It's tough to shock me, but I have had a few WTF moments listening to someone as skilled and articulate as Juan Martinez say **** and pussy in his questions...it's surreal.

Thank you, observers, for the time you take to share the wealth of information only those who are THERE can report...without the constraints the talking heads face.

I've not seen the jurors making eye contact with ja. They look in her direction when she is testifying, they look at Juan, take notes, and look down.
The jury appears focused, not showing emotion, eye rolling, .etc.

IMHO most of the talking heads are pot stirrers. It's about ratings. Beth Karas is the best, she is credible and a great reporter.

ja is an out of control client. She's going to do it her way and to heck with the two sitting at the defense table. It's her show, not theirs. I honestly feel she's ignoring her attorneys advice.

Welcome to Websleuths, btw. :)

jumping off your post, respectfully.

If the TH starts in about Juan being too harsh with ja, or he's had her on the stand too long I ignore that person.
She was up there for days and days blabbering about how Travis was a pedophile, abused her, forced her to do sex acts she didn't want to do...blah blah blah... I want Juan to have a chance to clear Travis' name in addition to exposing her for the crime (MOO) she committed.

I've yet to see anything that even hints at self defense. MOO :)

Exactly!!! One of the TH's said he should've been done with the cross exam in 3 hours! Wth? I guess that guy wouldn't care to challenge her accusations of abuse, BS explanations of the premeditation points, etc. I'd like to compare that guys case history to JM's!

Page 5

She's so clearly lying re: all this gas stuff. It's strong evidence for premed. Why would she purchase then return a gas can?

Neil looks way more serious today.

Flores not in court for this part of the afternoon.

Jurors have a foot rail behind the wall to rest their feet on. They also have a little cubby each in front of their seat for their drinks. Some drink water, some drink soda , some drink coffee. We can only have water in the gallery. It's nice they make it as comfortable as possible for them.

She gets cagey when she doesn't knwo what he's setting her up for.

An attorney told her the call to Flores would be taped? A PPL attorney? Where was this atty when she was arrested and talking ad nauseum?

B&RBM

:floorlaugh:

I didn't catch it until you posted, but love your insight as it made me realize she has now added PPL for folks she throws under the bus! I couldn't figure out why she said x3 about counsel (yet she did say went against?)

Anywhoo, anytime and everytime I can......I will say this will be the the THE topic of conversation in less than six weeks (is that right?) at the TRIANGLE convention!!!!

The TH's are all parroting the same thought: that the longer she's on the stand, the more the jury will begin to feel some sort of sympathy (really???!) for her and be less likely to go for the DP.

What I'm seeing is the more she opens her mouth, the more she exposes her true self.... manipulating, cunning, smarter (she thinks) than everyone else in the room, skillful at pushing buttons. And a monster. Juan has experience in dealing with evil and, I imagine, psychopaths, and she still gets to him. Travis never had a chance.

I have to admit that when I first started watching her testify, I did have some (minor) sympathy pangs toward her. But the more I watch her and listen to her, I "get" her and the sympathy has turned to total disgust. I'm good with leaving her on the stand as long as possible to remove any doubt that might linger in any juror's mind whether she deserves to be executed.

I'm scared I'm going to have nightmares about her skin splitting open to show scales underneath, like those aliens in 'V'.

A couple of comments about today...I too felt so badly for the siblings, they panned to them right after the 48 hours with JA talking about how awful it must have been for the siblings to hear about their brother, and the one sister's face just crumpled.
Question: Why does JA look up to answer every single question and then turn and tell the jury, was she coached to do that? And is she aware the Jury is not looking at her? So what is the point?

I also have a theory about something, why TA did not just dump JA beside her ability to use her skills to keep him addicted to her...since he was a "devout" LDS, is it possible (and I do not think JM would know this), that because of the moral code or standard LDS have, JA was emotionally blackmailing him, by telling him that she would tell his family, friends, and especially ward members of their sexual relationship, thereby ruining his reputation etc within the church. All his friends seem to be a bit shocked and lieving of their sexual behavior when they found out, however, that part of this story has evidence to show it was true, he was living a double life style..I totally think she would do that, thus the pictures she kept as evidence etc.
"

That is obvious that she was collecting evidence to ruin him. He basically went head-to-head with her ... said he was gonna expose all of her psycho ways ... so she couldn't have that and murdered him. He said she was the worst thing that ever happened to him and that she was a sociopath ...

freakin' psycho ... I hate her. God bless Travis and his family :heartbeat:

Page 10

She was bored on the road so called a lot of people. Why would you do this when you had lost your charger and had limited battery power and no way to charge your phone?

"I did like it" seductive voice (some kinda sexcapade, not sure which)

the media system went down for 3 min.

Cannot impress enough how HUGE the screen across from this jury is. I've been in small older movie theatres that have that size screen. It's huge. The resolution is not as good but it's huge. It retracted in to the ceiling for the reboot or whatever that was.

Talked to a different Victim Advocate today who I sat with and she shared with me something interesting. When this building was being designed they had a focus group of defense attys, prosecutors, investigator , victim advocates etc. to give their two cents on what they wanted. The VA's got the separate room for victims WITH their own bathroom so they don't have to cross paths with the other side in the BR. They also requested comfortable chairs in the gallery (and they are). Something else I can't remember. Pretty cool.

The media system went down the other day as well. They had to reboot, it took a few minutes to come back up.

I call the big screen the jumbo-tron. :)

Interesting about the design of the building, thanks for sharing.

The TH's are all parroting the same thought: that the longer she's on the stand, the more the jury will begin to feel some sort of sympathy (really???!) for her and be less likely to go for the DP.

What I'm seeing is the more she opens her mouth, the more she exposes her true self.... manipulating, cunning, smarter (she thinks) than everyone else in the room, skillful at pushing buttons. And a monster. Juan has experience in dealing with evil and, I imagine, psychopaths, and she still gets to him. Travis never had a chance.

I have to admit that when I first started watching her testify, I did have some (minor) sympathy pangs toward her. But the more I watch her and listen to her, I "get" her and the sympathy has turned to total disgust. I'm good with leaving her on the stand as long as possible to remove any doubt that might linger in any juror's mind whether she deserves to be executed.

I'm scared I'm going to have nightmares about her skin splitting open to show scales underneath, like those aliens in 'V'.

I felt the same way (a little sympathy), but now I see she is really horrible.

The media system went down the other day as well. They had to reboot, it took a few minutes to come back up.

I call the big screen the jumbo-tron. :)

Interesting about the design of the building, thanks for sharing.

Hope we never end up in a candid shot on it. Who oh whoever will I kiss?

x350.jpg

Hey! Look who snuck in for an evening hello! :seeya:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members