Active shooter situation at Perry, Iowa high school

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Getting the kids back into school and resuming their normal routine is very necessary for them to start healing.
IMHO MOO
In my mind, it's forcing exposure therapy on traumatized children. Walking in the same hallway where your classmate was killed.
Not sure how long it takes to clean up a school after a shooting.

I've been reading about how teens are traumatized after a shooting. They can believe that school isn't safe, that the trauma will recur, or have other negative trauma-related thoughts. Students who think their future will be cut short may react by not studying or skipping school.

To address teens, the National Child Traumatic Stress Network recommends the following:
  • Create a sense of safety by returning to normal, predictable routines as soon as possible.
  • Remind them that such events are rare.
  • Point out ways adults make school safe.
In other words, we push them back into the building of death asap and lie to them. Teens read the news and clearly see that school shootings are not rare, and are happening more often. They see adults make poor choices in the availability of weapons in our country. I'm not surprised they feel hopeless.

Perry High School Principal Dan Marburger has died. Marburger sustained multiple gunshot wounds while trying to protect students and staff during the Jan. 4 shooting at the school.Gov. Reynolds released the following statement:

I just saw this and came to see if it was posted. So sad!! He sacrificed his life for his students! :(

I just saw this and came to see if it was posted. So sad!! He sacrificed his life for his students! :(
I just saw the news, too. It was my understanding according to news reports that while his injuries were serious, they weren't life threatening. Rest in peace Mr. Marburger and condolences to his family.

IMHO MOO
In my mind, it's forcing exposure therapy on traumatized children. Walking in the same hallway where your classmate was killed.
Not sure how long it takes to clean up a school after a shooting.

I've been reading about how teens are traumatized after a shooting. They can believe that school isn't safe, that the trauma will recur, or have other negative trauma-related thoughts. Students who think their future will be cut short may react by not studying or skipping school.

To address teens, the National Child Traumatic Stress Network recommends the following:
  • Create a sense of safety by returning to normal, predictable routines as soon as possible.
  • Remind them that such events are rare.
  • Point out ways adults make school safe.
In other words, we push them back into the building of death asap and lie to them. Teens read the news and clearly see that school shootings are not rare, and are happening more often. They see adults make poor choices in the availability of weapons in our country. I'm not surprised they feel hopeless.
BBM. Not only students are traumatized; so are the teachers. I know two teachers who taught at schools where shootings took place. One of the shootings was 25 years ago in Jonesboro AR. They couldn't continue teaching. I think LE who respond to such shootings also are traumatized.

Perry is going to need a long time to heal and I hope the school district provides free therapy to all who need it.

JMO

I just saw the news, too. It was my understanding according to news reports that while his injuries were serious, they weren't life threatening. Rest in peace Mr. Marburger and condolences to his family.
Any gunshot can be fatal. Sepsis is the most well known complication, but there are many others.

BBM. Not only students are traumatized; so are the teachers. I know two teachers who taught at schools where shootings took place. One of the shootings was 25 years ago in Jonesboro AR. They couldn't continue teaching. I think LE who respond to such shootings also are traumatized.

Perry is going to need a long time to heal and I hope the school district provides free therapy to all who need it.

JMO

There was a shooting at my junior high in 1972, and I never knew about it even though I went there just a few years later, until people started talking about it on that school's Facebook page. Nobody was shot; the boy fired a few bullets into a wall until a teacher tackled him, and several students had minor injuries from jumping out a first-floor window. I did find out that the teacher was given a paid LOA for the rest of the school year. He died just a few years ago, in his 80s.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmyMay
Back