AK - Samantha Koenig, 18, Anchorage, 01 Feb 2012 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Gut. I got all of that. :) The only thing that puzzles me -- and ryanemsmom might have answered my question -- is the implication that the poster is "a coffee". In this context, what is "a coffee"?

It might be nothing. We don't know if the article is related to Sam at all. I just found the reference odd.

Yea, that's puzzling. I looked at Urbandictionary.com to see what "a coffee" is, but didn't seen anything that would fit.

I guess it's just coincidence that the second place Keyes used the card was at the bank that holds the reward money.

Neat little timeline chart of the case here: http://articles.ktuu.com/2012-03-22/debit-card_31227486

Why did Keyes wait a month to begin using the card? And the same question again, why was the credit card still active a month after being reported stolen? With the same PIN? How can Person A afford to have $3598 in an account that's been compromised?

Also, why were there no withdrawls between 2/29 and 3/7?

It seems like IK withdrew $1,000 total in Anchorage on 2/28 and 2/29 (with a third request for $600 denied on 2/28). Then he doesn't use the card at all until 3/7, at this point he is Arizona.

Did he get tipped off that the cops were on to him? But if so, then why use the card again at all?

And as I mentioned previously, JK's use of the reward fun started becoming an issue in the media on 2/29, which is the exact same time the debit card stopped being used and IK apparently left Alaska. Not sure it's related but it's interesting to note.

One thought: Maybe JK got this debit card to IK as a way to get the funds to the abductors without police involvement. Perhaps he thought he couldn't just go to the bank and withdraw $20,000 cash (or whatever was agreed upon) without raising suspicions. So instead he gave a debit card and told them to use it until the debt was paid.

I'm sure there are many other potential explanations though.

Hello, Sheltie. Very interesting, those comments. Nice catch. The way you posted is perfect. Thank you.

I'm clueless about the reference to the poster being "a coffee"? Without doing a copy and paste of the comments, can you or anyone else enlighten me? TIA.

:Welcome1:

First, thanks for the welcomes!

Okay, not sure if I am responding properly (crosses fingers)...

Where my mind led me (somewhat active imagination here :)) is:
WHAT IF...
A) SK either was involved in some manner ranging from innocent observer to full involvement on one side or the other
B) it was known that she worked at a coffee stand (and the reference was just oddly worded OR the poster wasn't into coffee/ didn't know the term barista)

JMO...actually, not even necessarily MO, just my speculation.

Also, why were there no withdrawls between 2/29 and 3/7?

It seems like IK withdrew $1,000 in Anchorage on 2/28 and 2/29 (with a third request for $600 denied on 2/28). Then he doesn't use the card at all until 3/7, at this point he is Arizona.

Did he get tipped off that the cops were on to him? But if so, then why use the card again at all?

And as I mentioned previously, JK's use of the reward fun started becoming an issue in the media on 2/29, which is the exact same time the debit card stopped being used and IK apparently left Alaska. Not sure it's related but it's interesting to note.

One thought: Maybe JK got this debit card to IK as a way to get the funds to the abductors without police involvement. Perhaps he thought he couldn't just go to the bank and withdraw $20,000 cash (or whatever was agreed upon) without raising suspicions. So instead he gave a debit card and told them to use it until the debt was paid.

I'm sure there are many other potential explanations though.

I seem to remember in a previous thread and maybe in an msm report that JK stated he would give the abductor any money he needed and get him out of the state without police. This case is.getting crazy and we don't even know the half of it!! I have a sneaky suspicion that IK and jk certainly were aware of eachother. Jmo

First, thanks for the welcomes!

Okay, not sure if I am responding properly (crosses fingers)...

Where my mind led me (somewhat active imagination here :)) is:
WHAT IF...
A) SK either was involved in some manner ranging from innocent observer to full involvement on one side or the other
B) it was known that she worked at a coffee stand (and the reference was just oddly worded OR the poster wasn't into coffee/ didn't know the term barista)

JMO...actually, not even necessarily MO, just my speculation.

It has been speculated before that SK might have been involved in a drug investigation (perhaps this same cocaine bust). That would explain why the cops are playing this thing so close to the vest--they'd hardly want the whole world to know that their informants end up disappearing.

On the other hand, if Sk were involved in a drug bust and there was a significant risk of retaliation, would she really be working alone at a coffee stand late at night?

I seem to remember in a previous thread and maybe in an msm report that JK stated he would give the abductor any money he needed and get him out of the state without police. This case is.getting crazy and we don't even know the half of it!! I have a sneaky suspicion that IK and jk certainly were aware of eachother. Jmo

Part of me strongly suspects that JK gave IK the debit card or arranged for it to end up in IK's hands for some reason or another. The problem with this idea is, how did it end up getting reported stolen?

The link between IK & SK is he had on the same exact 'get up' at the coffee shack, breaking into the car, & at the ATM machines..LE didn't want to release the pix or even claim to have seen much of it so he wouldn't fear wearing it again cos they figured at some point he'd attempt to use the card..IIRC, by the time LE made the decision not to release the pix & gave that bogus statement, they already knew about the stolen credit card.

If LE was watching IK's house BEFORE he was busted in Texas they probably got a clear shot of the Ford Focus license plate & traced it to him..Once he was stopped & searched & they found evidence in the car they had cause to move in & search his house too.

All of this is GUESS work on my part..I could be way off base!

The link between IK & SK is he had on the same exact 'get up' at the coffee shack, breaking into the car, & at the ATM machines..LE didn't want to release the pix or even claim to have seen much of it so he wouldn't fear wearing it again cos they figured at some point he'd attempt to use the card..IIRC, by the time LE made the decision not to release the pix & gave that bogus statement, they already knew about the stolen credit card.

If LE was watching IK's house BEFORE he was busted in Texas they probably got a clear shot of the Ford Focus license plate & traced it to him..Once he was stopped & searched & they found evidence in the car they had cause to move in & search his house too.

All of this is a GUESS work on my part..I could be way off base!

My only problem with IK being Sam's abductor is, why on Earth would he risk using the card? And three weeks after the fact? Why would he even suspect that it was still active at that point?

I could see one scenario:
- IK abducts her for ransom, to settle a drug debt, or something like that
- IK steals the debit card, Sam knows the PIN to this card, he figures he can get money this way (for some reason he has reason to believe there will be a lot of money in the account, or that a lot of money could easily be put in the account)
- Something gets fouled up...maybe Koenig's abduction was never supposed to be publicized, only the owners of the coffee shack screwed up the ransom/payoff plan by watching the tape, seeing the apparent abduction, and calling the cops (remember, as far as we know JK and Duane did not go to the cops)
- This is why JK starts making all the statements about reward money and not going through the cops and setting the person up with a new life elsewhere
- At some point maybe IK gets in contact with JK, demands money for getting SK back to him, is told to use the debit card?? Perhaps IK is desperate enough at this point to do it even though it is obviously not very smart?

All of this is a GUESS work on my part..I could be way off base!

Have we established that the card was reported stolen immediately after someone went through the car. Police decided not to release the CCTV footage from the minute they saw it.

Now that I am on my "he robbed a bank in February" theory, I think the gun was found - we have a clear shot of that in the bank robbery pics.

I am wondering how APD is going to handle all this mess later. We have all seen the comments sections of news stories and all the specualtion ... someone is going to be on the mark. APD will have a huge enquiry after this.

Part of me strongly suspects that JK gave IK the debit card or arranged for it to end up in IK's hands for some reason or another. The problem with this idea is, how did it end up getting reported stolen?
According to the affidavit, Person A told LE on 02/02/12 at about 3:00 am, he saw a man wearing a mask "going through his vehicle". It's unclear when the report was given to LE.

The affidavit also says that Person A "subsequently" told LE his debit card was missing from the vehicle. The word "subsequently" suggests the missing debit card was reported to LE after the initial report.

Keyes did not use the debit card until 02/28/2012.

IF the card was provided to Keyes to pay ransom for SK's release without involving LE, and Keyes did not cooperate and SK remained missing, JK might have decided to let LE know about the debit card, but reported it stolen rather than admitting he tried to handle the kidnapping on his own. Alternately, the card is not JK's but belongs to someone working on his behalf, and this person reported the theft. Since the card wasn't used for 26 days, it's possible there was no other communication from IK, which naturally would have worried JK and prompted him to alert LE about the debit card.

I am not saying that I believe this theory, only pointing out a possible answer to your question. The good news is that LE knows who owns the card. If it was part of a plan to save SK that went awry, they know too.

If it was cash from an ATM then it would be all 20's. So that would be 150 20 dollar bills, right?

So I measured what 150 papers stacked up are (from a spiral notebook) and it is a little less than 1/2 inch. So that would be a thick roll but not rolls. Maybe two medium rolls? Who knows, but it isn't as if his car was covered in money. And also, why would they be in rolls? Why wouldn't he just keep them in a small stack in the glove compartment or something. Why roll it?
I know it isn't important, I just don't have anything to add to this topic until we hear something new.

Have we established that the card was reported stolen immediately after someone went through the car. Police decided not to release the CCTV footage from the minute they saw it.

Now that I am on my "he robbed a bank in February" theory, I think the gun was found - we have a clear shot of that in the bank robbery pics.

I am wondering how APD is going to handle all this mess later. We have all seen the comments sections of news stories and all the specualtion ... someone is going to be on the mark. APD will have a huge enquiry after this.

I like your bank robbery theory and there is a remarkable similarity in looks, but one thing holds me back. Why transport Keyes back to AK on a simple credit card theft, when an armed bank robbery charge in Texas is more serious. Seems TX would have more interest in holding on to him, unless there's more to the AK charges than we know.

On another topic, I don't think Keyes is the one that broke into the car and stole the card. I don't even believe there was a break-in. I think the card was payment for something and Person A is up to his eyeballs in this mess. Still, if Keyes has rolls of cash in his car, why is he even using the card?

I agree. 3 grand is not exactly going to end up being rolls of money all over the car. So maybe there were a couple of bank robberies as well. And maybe some drug deals. But why would he keep driving around using that 'hot' stolen card if he already had a nice stash of cash?

I agree. 3 grand is not exactly going to end up being rolls of money all over the car. So maybe there were a couple of bank robberies as well. And maybe some drug deals. But why would he keep driving around using that 'hot' stolen card if he already had a nice stash of cash?
The rolls weren't all over the car. There were "multiple rolls of rubber banded U. S. currency...in the driver's door". That would mean the pocket along the inside of the door meant to hold maps or CD's, flat things, basically. I don't think the rolls could have been very fat ones, probably less than an inch in diameter. Anyone have a Ford Focus and wanna do an experiment? lol

The bills might have been in small denominations. If I were driving around getting cash from ATM's with a stolen debit card, I'd probably break a twenty here and a twenty there on small purchases to get rid of the stolen currency.

When I first read that I thought it might be a reference to Dan Coffey, a lawyer and former assembly member in Anchorage that has his fingers in some fishy political pots.

When you sign up to use Disqus to post comments it's hard to find an available name sometimes, it seems possible someone just tried "coffee" and it wasn't available so they tried "a coffee". Who knows :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
a_renee