AL AL - Brittney Wood, 19, Mobile, 31 May 2012 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brittney Wood's stepmother says family sex ring and 'horrible crimes' have one positive: They keep the missing teen's name in the public
http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2014/12/post_10.html
BAY MINETTE, Alabama - While the sex crimes involving family members "have been horrible," they have at least done one positive thing: Brittney Wood's name remains in the public spotlight because of them, according to the missing teen's stepmother.

"If you look at other missing cases, such as Brittany Robinson, she came up missing a month behind our Brittney," Stephanie Hanke said Tuesday, referring to the missing Mobile woman last seen in June 2012. "You never <hear> anything about her. But because of the sex crimes, you hear about our Brittney."

AL - Endangered Missing: Brittany Robinson (14) - Mobile - 14 June 2012

The State rested?
Seriously, after a few hours of testimony?
That doesn't make any sense.
Was there only one witness alleging the sex acts as a child?

If true, this is a gross error on their part in my opinion.
Someone fill me in.

There's multiple victims but remember there are 11 arrested. It's likely most of the female victims still alive were abused by the males who are either dead, already pled guilty or are still pending trial. I'm not sure I expected more than the couple (Derek and the main witness.) we've read about today in WWH's trial.

I have to say I am shocked that the State rested so quickly. It seems that only two family members and one therapist testified...is that correct?
I am speaking as one who has served as a jury foreman in a criminal case. The State has not proven Wendy guilty because the girl's credibility is questionable and Derek can be looked at as someone who is trying to get a reduced sentence in his own case by throwing Wendy under the proverbial bus.

The defense is going to jump all over this...watch!
All the defense has to do is drag this out for a few days, providing witnesses showing Wendy as someone who is caring, helpful and honest. The longer the defense can keep going, the easier it will be for the jury to forget the little girl and the criminal brother who may have an agenda.

The State needed to offer witnesses that show Wendy as evil, manipulative and even possibly involved in Brittney's disappearance.
They could have showed pictures of the girl when she was three or four, indicating that is when the abuse started on her.
All they need do is plant the seed in the jury's mind that this woman is evil.

They did not accomplish that in my mind.

As far as the jury goes...
Juries usually have made up their mind about 80% when they enter the jury room.
Some will want to vote right away, others are worried about getting home early.
There will be a few who will try to do a good job.
Sometimes though, they can be intimidated by someone who is argumentative, or just has a big mouth.
That can affect the vote in some cases.

If one person on the jury can be swayed that Wendy is not guilty...that's it!

Gunther, all must agree on a verdict. A hung jury would result in a re-trial.

Derek's testimony should cement this case against Wendy. He was just a little boy when this started. There's no way jurors will disregard what he told the court, IMO. It doesn't matter if the landlord saw it or a co-worker thinks WWH performed her job. I feel sorry for all these victims including Derek.

http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2014/12/incest_children_used_for_sex_a.html#incart_river

1:34 p.m. - Wood said he had sex with Holland about "40 or 50 times"

1:32 p.m. - Wood said he pleaded guilty for having oral sex with the minor victim in this case, when she was 10 years old.

1:31 p.m. - Wood testified that he used to be instructed to have oral sex in a moving vehicle during daytime hours.

1:26 p.m. - Derek Wood, 23, who has since pleaded guilty to sex crimes involved in this case, is testifying that he had sex with Wendy Holland when he was a teenager.

I have to say I am shocked that the State rested so quickly. It seems that only two family members and one therapist testified... in Brittney's disappearance.
They could have showed pictures of the girl when she was three or four, indicating that is when the abuse started on her.
All they need do is plant the seed in the jury's mind that this woman is evil.

They did not accomplish that in my mind.

As far as the jury goes...
Juries usually have made up their mind about 80% when they enter the jury room.
Some will want to vote right away, others are worried about getting home early.
There will be a few who will try to do a good job.
Sometimes though, they can be intimidated by someone who is argumentative, or just has a big mouth.
Yes, I too am worried, GT. Dustin admitted he didn't want a life sentence but what has me most worried is that the victim apparently fibbed regarding two allegations regarding the football player and a detective.

Edited for brevity

The defense will say that all of the defense witnesses (involved) have motives to lie. The issue is the 16 yo. She's got nothing to gain by lying, except civilly perhaps. But these people don't have money to sue for. I think even though she lied before they will believe her. I'm sure it was apparent that her innocence was torn apart by these people.

6 testified - Investigator, child abuse doctor, Derek, Dustin, cellmate and the victim.
http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2014/12/incest_children_used_for_sex_a.html#incart_river

Do we know what the cellmate testified to?
I remember reading something about Wendy telling her about sexual encounters but I don't know if she admitted to the cellmate about the underage participants. Derek and Dustin could be portrayed as attempting to make a deal on their own case. And the girl will have her honesty dragged through the mud.

You can see where the defense is going from this opening testimony of their witnesses.

4:01 p.m. - Salter said that Holland performed outstanding work while employed for one year at the V.A. center. Salter said she did not know Holland beyond the work place.

3:55 p.m. - The case resumes with Tara Salter, human resources official at William Green V.A. center where Holland was formerly employed. She is Johnson-Theodoro's first witness to take the stand.

I highly doubt they would not retry this case. I intended to imply that, should have clarified. But I guarantee you at least 1 juror will absolutely not accept a not-guilty verdict.

http://www.timesdaily.com/news/stat...cle_276ed812-8240-537e-b5a0-2f2bab350901.html
BAY MINETTE, Ala. (AP) &#8212; A teenager testifying in the trial of a woman accused of being part of a family sex ring has told jurors that she was first molested while she was still in diapers.

The young woman testified Tuesday in Bay Minette that her earliest memories include having sex with adults including the 35-year-old defendant, Wendy Wood Holland.

It's not only her word against Wendy. It's her and five others that testified. I think they've met the burden of proof, but I"m biased.

I highly doubt they would not retry this case. I intended to imply that, should have clarified. But I guarantee you at least 1 juror will absolutely not accept a not-guilty verdict.

My fear would be that if it were a mistrial, they offer her a plea bargain, which would take her out of the picture in Brittney's case should she accept it.
Like the others, I believe she is the best case to find out what happened to Brittney.

Were it my case, I might have compiled all the evidence against her, showed her what's at stake in terms of sentencing and offered her a plea in exchange for information on Brittney's disappearance.

The defense will say that all of the defense witnesses (involved) have motives to lie. The issue is the 16 yo. She's got nothing to gain by lying, except civilly perhaps. But these people don't have money to sue for. I think even though she lied before they will believe her. I'm sure it was apparent that her innocence was torn apart by these people.

PTSD, and feeling paranoid and suspicious of all adults is what this 16 yr. old witness has to deal with now for many years to come.

Remember, Brittney was called a liar when she testified years ago. She was not lying. The man is behind bars to this day.

There's no big gain for these children to admit these embarrassing things happened to them. The sorrow will not go away.

My fear would be that if it were a mistrial, they offer her a plea bargain, which would take her out of the picture in Brittney's case should she accept it.
Like the others, I believe she is the best case to find out what happened to Brittney.

Were it my case, I might have compiled all the evidence against her, showed her what's at stake in terms of sentencing and offered her a plea in exchange for information on Brittney's disappearance.

Valid points in both your posts, but remember, it was similar testimony that convicted Brownlee last month, and as Curious Me reminds us, testimony in Brittney's case labeled Brittney a "fibber," too. And Robertson is serving life.

An interesting thing to watch for is if things really start looking bad for Wendy, she may offer up info on Brittney in exchange for lower sentence.

Do we know what the cellmate testified to?
I remember reading something about Wendy telling her about sexual encounters but I don't know if she admitted to the cellmate about the underage participants. Derek and Dustin could be portrayed as attempting to make a deal on their own case. And the girl will have her honesty dragged through the mud.

You can see where the defense is going from this opening testimony of their witnesses.

4:01 p.m. - Salter said that Holland performed outstanding work while employed for one year at the V.A. center. Salter said she did not know Holland beyond the work place.

3:55 p.m. - The case resumes with Tara Salter, human resources official at William Green V.A. center where Holland was formerly employed. She is Johnson-Theodoro's first witness to take the stand.

Please note the word MINORS.

"3:28 p.m. - The cellmate...called Holland "Trick" a nickname that referred to Holland's penchant for sexual activity with multiple partners. Hall also said that Holland told her about the sexual acts with the minors as a way to prepare them for having sex with others."
http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index....l#incart_river

BBM

My heart just breaks for this young girl having to call up these memories on the stand, and probably for the rest of her life. Haunted by these bad memories. She's in my prayers, and I consider her a hero.

Teen tells of repeated abuse by Alabama sex ring
http://www.gadsdentimes.com/article/20141209/APN/312099670

"...told jurors Tuesday that she was first molested while still in diapers."

"The young woman, who is still a minor, said her earliest memories include having sex with adult relatives — one of whom was the defendant, Wendy Wood Holland, now 35."

I don't think Chessie testified, after all.
http://www.gadsdentimes.com/article/20141209/APN/312099670?tc=ar
Brittney Wood's mother, Chessie Wood, who also is charged with a sex crime, came to court with her son but wasn't allowed inside because she is a defendant in a related case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
a_renee