AL AL - Brittney Wood, 19, Mobile, 31 May 2012 - # 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
UWF professor examines human remains
Updated: Wednesday, 06 Mar 2013, 10:12 AM CST | Published : Tuesday, 05 Mar 2013, 7:32 PM CST

~~PENSACOLA, Fla. (WALA) - Two recent cases of human remains discovered in Alabama will be analyzed across the state line at the University of West Florida.

Dr. Joanne Curtin, a UWF associate professor in the Department of Anthropology, is looking into the remains found in Baldwin County on February 16 and the bones discovered in Mobile County Monday, March 4.

~~FOX10 News asked Curtin how long this process may take. She said it depends on the skeleton, how complete it is.

Curtin said for a full skeleton, it can take her several days to analyze the bones and produce a report.

But for fragmented remains like the ones found in Baldwin County, there’s only a limited amount of information that can be discovered.

http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/local_news/pensacola/uwf-professor-examines-skeletal-remains

Looking at that page made me so sad. :(

LA (lower Alabama) folks, am I right that Tillman's Corner, Theodore, Grand Bay, are considered the Mobile area but are NOT inside the city limits of Mobile? Brittney's blurb on there about where she went missing should have been more specific, IMO...

That is right. They are outside the Mobile city limits but a lot of locals still consider that whole area Mobile

Not your fault -- you're in Europe! I live in Alabama, so by looking at the map I could tell that this particular woman vanished in the downtown area of Mobile.

Not saying at all that this isn't her just because of where she vanished, but it is a good distance to dispose of a body from downtown Mobile.

I also think that this is Brittney because the skull and teeth are in such good condition. It would match up, to me, to her May disappearance.

Thank you so much. I make terrible, terrible mistakes with geography and I am always happy when someone points them out. I can't learn if no-one tells me!

UWF professor examines human remains
Updated: Wednesday, 06 Mar 2013, 10:12 AM CST | Published : Tuesday, 05 Mar 2013, 7:32 PM CST

~~PENSACOLA, Fla. (WALA) - Two recent cases of human remains discovered in Alabama will be analyzed across the state line at the University of West Florida.

Dr. Joanne Curtin, a UWF associate professor in the Department of Anthropology, is looking into the remains found in Baldwin County on February 16 and the bones discovered in Mobile County Monday, March 4.

~~FOX10 News asked Curtin how long this process may take. She said it depends on the skeleton, how complete it is.

Curtin said for a full skeleton, it can take her several days to analyze the bones and produce a report.

But for fragmented remains like the ones found in Baldwin County, there’s only a limited amount of information that can be discovered.

http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/local_news/pensacola/uwf-professor-examines-skeletal-remains

"Curtin will begin studying the two cases next week."

Aaaah I'm too impatient for "next week"! Can only imagine how Brittney's family feels!

I'm really hoping the two weeks is just a disclaimer statement! I was thinking from what has been said about the condition of the skull the remains would be identified much sooner.

Prayers and thoughts for the family during this horrible waiting period.

They have the skull so they must know at least if the remains are male or female. Have they released anything else yet? Just that they're looking for more bones & possible evidence?

Ok, I'm confused. They did find a skull in both counties, correct? Or no?

This must be excruciating for her family!
There would be no problems using the dental records from 2008, unless Brittney has had some treatment done subsequently, especially something replacing existing restorations. It would be unlikely that she had any crowns- these are not normally done on people under 18, and Brittney looks likes she had, (oh, no!) pretty good teeth. (They are really expensive too, at least in Aust) I thought Brittney had an orthodontic appointment the week she went missing- if she has had ortho treatment, there would be extensive records- radiographs and models- which you would think wouldn't take long to match.

I just don't know what to do with myself... Her poor family.

(Whoever "chucked" this persons remains on a tip is absolutely disgusting)

This must be excruciating for her family!
There would be no problems using the dental records from 2008, unless Brittney has had some treatment done subsequently, especially something replacing existing restorations. It would be unlikely that she had any crowns- these are not normally done on people under 18, and Brittney looks likes she had, (oh, no!) pretty good teeth. (They are really expensive too, at least in Aust) I thought Brittney had an orthodontic appointment the week she went missing- if she has had ortho treatment, there would be extensive records- radiographs and models- which you would think wouldn't take long to match.

I just don't know what to do with myself... Her poor family.

(Whoever "chucked" this persons remains on a tip is absolutely disgusting)
her poor child, the rest of her family..pfffft

I just had another thought about the remains at the trash site - besides showing contempt for the person, could it be for reasons of concealment too?

If the body had been carried in an open pick-up, for example, the perp might have concealed it among a load of trash/builders' waste. Maybe had the body in some sort of sack or container too? Then, even if they had been spotted, it would have looked like they were dumping trash illegally but nothing worse.

I can't recall now - do we have any pick-up type vehicles floating around in this case?

If that was the scenario, the other trash could contain vital evidence, if it came from the perp's house. Imagine if there is a rug, or sheet, with their hair and dna all over it. Or even a door or something, with a handle matching every other handle in their house? It would take LE forever to go through it though.

They have the skull so they must know at least if the remains are male or female. Have they released anything else yet? Just that they're looking for more bones & possible evidence?

Nothing has been released regarding the sex. Pictures have not been released to the public. One MSM station claims to have pictures, but was asked by LE not to release. Bones have been found scattered around. Since it is an illegal dump site, a lot of littered clothes to sort through.

I'm new to WS and new to Brittney's case but I'm sort of a local, well not really but close enough. I live in South Mississippi about an hour or an hour and 15 minutes west of Mobile.

This poor girl has been missing for 9 months now and I haven't heard a word about it. Sure, I'm an hour away but around here if someone goes missing in NOLA or Alabama, we hear about it. Granted I do have 2 toddlers and my head might have been buried in a never ending diaper changing session when it was broadcast but I check in on our local news facebook and website daily to stay updated and never saw anything.

I'm praying for Brittney's return, whichever way it comes, so that her "family" (I use that term loosely) will be able to have closure.

Maybe Brittney's dental records will help expedite the process. I can imagine the bones found scattered would need to undergo further testing to exclude the possibility of more than one body.

"I just do want to stress that any of these families who have missing loved ones if they have recent dental records that would certainly help expedite the identification of this particular skull that was discovered," said Lt. Paul Burch, Mobile County Sheriff's Investigator.

http://www.local15tv.com/mostpopula...-Secluded-Area-in/dsTzH605ZkafVUBVsspYTg.cspx

I'm new to WS and new to Brittney's case but I'm sort of a local, well not really but close enough. I live in South Mississippi about an hour or an hour and 15 minutes west of Mobile.

This poor girl has been missing for 9 months now and I haven't heard a word about it. Sure, I'm an hour away but around here if someone goes missing in NOLA or Alabama, we hear about it. Granted I do have 2 toddlers and my head might have been buried in a never ending diaper changing session when it was broadcast but I check in on our local news facebook and website daily to stay updated and never saw anything.

I'm praying for Brittney's return, whichever way it comes, so that her "family" (I use that term loosely) will be able to have closure.

Hi a.allison,

Welcome to Websleuths!

In my opinion, Brittney's case did not receive much media attention because LE (for whatever reason) refused to acknowledge BW involuntarily disappeared. Even with the surrounding rape cases and uncle Donnie Holland committing suicide with her gun, LE claimed there was no connection. It has never made sense to me.

Just popping in to say good morning. I haven't been on WS since last week but I have been in close contact with the friends I have made from here through Britt's case. I'm praying we have some answers soon. My initial reaction regarding the remains found was that it's Brittney. I've felt for a long time that Brittney is not with us any longer but when the remains were found, it was harder than I anticipated. Now, we have to just wait and see if this is really her. I can't help but wonder if we will ever know what happened that night after Donnie picked up Brittney.

Just popping in to say good morning. I haven't been on WS since last week but I have been in close contact with the friends I have made from here through Britt's case. I'm praying we have some answers soon. My initial reaction regarding the remains found was that it's Brittney. I've felt for a long time that Brittney is not with us any longer but when the remains were found, it was harder than I anticipated. Now, we have to just wait and see if this is really her. I can't help but wonder if we will ever know what happened that night after Donnie picked up Brittney.

it's really is a harsher reality than i expected--and this is just the anticipation stage :-( I have thought she has been gone since the beginning as well, if this is her, hopefully some clues remain.

I think it would be very easy to identify just by teeth if it is brittney or not. If you look at brittneys pics very closely she has a crooked front tooth.

I think it would be very easy to identify just by teeth if it is brittney or not. If you look at brittneys pics very closely she has a crooked front tooth.

To add to this, at least one of the photos on the flyer *looked* as though she had at least 1 tooth (I won't name which one) that looked to be in bad shape. If she's not been to a dentist since 2008 and has done drugs; which we've come to the conclusion she has, it's highly possible she had a cavity which affected the entire tooth. If this is known to the family this would make things easier. Also, in 2008 I doubt she had her wisdom teeth removed, so I'm hoping those are actually still there and also an identifier. THis is a morbid thing to say, and I realize this - but this again emphasizes a few vital points

#1 go to the dentist yearly
#2 let your family know who your dentist is. (not that she didn't, but a lot of unidentified cases this is the problem).

I hope for closure, but I'm angry that a person could take her life and had done god knows what yet took the cowards way out and will never pay their debt. No doubt in my mind that if this is her, other people aside from Donnie (if he even was, he just LOOKS like the right one - that doesn't mean he is) were a part of this.
And yes I'm looking at you WENDY.

I still find no sympathy for Chessie and believe she knows far more than she may ever tell, because her priority is strictly her needs etc. JMO

If one of the skulls do belong to our dear Brittney I hope that there is at least some forensic evidence nearby and that the LEO have been extremely careful in searching the area. Swamps, especially, it's like things can literally disappear in them (I'm a Louisiana girl and grew up enjoying quite a few duck.. Or anything I could ;) hunts and still do occasionally)
I have followed Brittney's disappearance from the beginning and in fact she is the reason I joined Websleuths. Naturally i wish she is out there alive and in witness protection, with a new beau, etc but 9 momths wiithout a trace makes that chance seem slim to nil.
Praying for answers. I bet there are a few people shaking in their prison issue sandals at the Baldwin County jail right now. While I still have a smidgen of hope I am starting to feel like just too much time has passed with her being "disappeared" for this case to have a truly happy ending. I will settle for the second best outcome- justice and an end to the dysfunction for the youngest generation of the family so that they may grow and live happy, healthy, productive lives. There seems to be an absence of that in the WoodPile.
JMO, as always :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member