Found Alive AL - Carlethia “Carlee” Russell, 25, 911 call reported toddler walking on side of interstate, car found, she & toddler gone, Birmingham, 13 Jul ‘23 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What stands out to me is the sheer lack of logic. The improbability of getting away with what she tried to do. The risk of making up a story while on the phone to cops on the highway, pretending she’s looking at a child, when LE could pull up behind her at any moment. All of those things aren’t about what motivated her to create a story. It’s about the weirdness of her decision-making regarding that story. It’s so weird that it seems pathological to many of us non-professional folks.
^^rsbm

Except for narcissists or those with traits do not tend to think logically! I really don't doubt that if police pulled up behind CR while she was reporting the toddler on the Interstate, she would have easily explained her sighting and the call to 911 to the officer-- 'I must be over-tired,' 'Driving without my eyeglasses,' etc., and all the while, CR being very, very, appreciative of the quick response by LE that showed her the reflection she thought was a child was false. I'm reminded of the statement by another police department (before deleting) about CR visiting the precinct that was saccharine-sweet with its praise of her.

ETA: I just read the visit to Harpersville PD was on Thursday -- the day she disappeared.

Last edited:
It's not necessarily a hard no, it depends on the program. Her current school would say no, unsure about others, especially for profit ones, or ones further out from her. Just depends. I do agree that she needs a lot of help before even thinking about school, especially anything in allied health.
So this would be a "no" in that Jefferson State CC doesn't allow you to wear lab coats with your name? She's definitely wearing grey scrubs that the school wears.

You can see in some of the photos online that her scrub colors are gray. Her school's clinical nurse scrubs are gray. She's wearing a white lab coat in one of her pics over them with her name embroidered. My daughter wore a lab coat over her scrubs when she was in nursing school. I think it depends on the school and what hospital your clinicals are. Seems like she was on the later part of her schooling. Such a shame to probably have thrown it away. Police provide new details about disappearance
That's interesting. Obviously rules vary widely regarding this. The hospital that I performed clinicals at wanted to make sure the patients didn't confuse student nurses with physicians hence the "no long white lab coats". We were only allowed the hospital approved scrubs.

That's interesting. Obviously rules vary widely regarding this. The hospital that I performed clinicals at wanted to make sure the patients didn't confuse student nurses with physicians hence the "no long white lab coats". We were only allowed the hospital approved scrubs.
When my daughter went to her "lab" classes at the school, she wore a Lab coat. But not at her clinicals in the hospital. Sorry for the confusion. At least I don't think she did at the hospital. Hard to remember, but she definitely had a lab coat with her name.

I mean, you can use disordered thinking to mean abnormal thinking/logic. But "disordered thinking" has a clinical meaning and it isn't this. What would you call a student who cheated on a math test? Or what would you call the parents involved in that college bribery scandal? Their thinking wasn't "normal" either, but there was no "disordered thinking" in a clinical sense that we'd think of with mental illness. Sometimes people are just plain selfish. We don't have to clinically pathologize every behavior. That's what leads and/or perpetuates stigma.

It is weird and maybe she's a weird person. Maybe she's selfish. Maybe she's self-centered. Maybe she's a drama queen. It doesn't mean she has an illness.

The drive to pathologize everything we don't understand about someone's behavior does more harm than good for people with legitimate mental illness.
I would call people who cheated on a math test or the college bribery parents, entitled and dishonest. But there’s a difference to me between someone who tries to cheat using sneaky looks at their smart phone, and those who try to cheat by having a paper with the answers, in plain sight. It’s not the immorality or criminality that makes me look to pathology to help me understand. It’s the methods.

So again, I’m not talking about motivation. I’m talking about methodology. That’s what is so bizarre that many of us think there must be something more than just immorality at play.

But I get your point. I’m not an expert and I can see how it could be dangerous to link criminal behavior with mental health without an expert finding signs of that.

Am I correct in believing that Carlee was working on having some type of social media presence? Did she want to be an influencer? Could her actions be something she thought would help her to get more followers?
I'm sure she had no idea how many followers she would actually get! :oops:
When I checked this morning, she had 27K insta followers. I suppose it's possible.

People keep bringing up the phrase "throwing it all away" in regards to her nursing career. Does anyone really think she actually wanted to be a nurse? I mean beyond the white coat photo ops.. Nursing is hard work..long hours, super stressful working conditions, responsibility for people's lives, dealing with infection, wounds, disease, death, trauma and pain..Is there anything in her personality that suggests she would even have a desire to work in that environment? Maybe she somehow had a more glamorous/unrealistic idea of the nursing field, until she started clinicals..moo.
I agree. based on her SM presence, she doesn’t give an appearance of being a caring individual, one who puts others before herself. I’m still stuck on the fact that it never even occurred to her that folks would find it strange she didn’t get out of her vehicle to help the (fictional) toddler. I believe *most* caring folks would’ve jumped outa that car and scooped the baby up to get him out of harm’s way.

I agree. based on her SM presence, she doesn’t give an appearance of being a caring individual, one who puts others before herself. I’m still stuck on the fact that it never even occurred to her that folks would find it strange she didn’t get out of her vehicle to help the (fictional) toddler. I believe *most* caring folks would’ve jumped outa that car and scooped the baby up to get him out of harm’s way.
I'm not saying she is a narcissist, but... people who are very often seek a spotlight or need to be seen as a savior or hero. They often suffer from magical thinking not seeing themselves at all the way others see them. It's about them, not others.
I'm not trying get clinical here because my education in the subject area comes from personal experience, not academic.

Oh jeez. I hope that wasn't the end goal of this whole exercise (to gain followers). Because if it was, she's soon going to realize that to maintain and grow that following she'll have to continue doing more outlandish things to keep their attention. It doesn't scale.

The statement by Harpersville PD was deleted from its fb/social media but the statement is still available in MSM. Also, Jefferson State Community College's fb post from last Friday still stands. I think this confirms CR is a student at JSCC but interesting that the Harperville statement talks of CR's drive to become a nursing student rather than becoming a nurse. Perhaps CR re-applying for the program? JMO

The day she disappeared, Russell went to Harpersville, where officials say she briefly interacted with members of the city's police department.

"We were honored to spend time with this smart, courteous and honoring young woman yesterday. She was handling some business in the Town of Harpersville yesterday and we were so impressed by her respect, poise, good attitude and her drive to become a nursing student and help others," the Harpersville Police Department wrote on Facebook. "When this news broke, so did our hearts. This world needs many, many more young women and young men like her."

AL.com reports that Russell is a student at Jefferson State Community College and is studying to be a registered nurse.

Jefferson State wrote on Facebook that it was "praying for her safe return" and that they were "extremely concerned" for her safety.

I don't see how someone in Nursing school has the time to work at a SPA as well as spend soooooooo much time on social media. Or have much of a social life. I have a family member in Nursing school and she is slammed with the study requirements and stress to keep the grades that are required. She has zero time for anything else.
Here is information on the 2-year program at Jefferson State Community College. I don't know where she was in the pursuit of her degree.

I do know that I read a 2020 FB post (now deleted) where CR stated that she had been accepted into the nursing program at UAB and encouraged everyone to never give up on their dreams.

She also had that photo of her with the white jacket on the stairs and another one wearing the gray scrubs. Somebody noted that those were not the color of the scrubs worn at the UAB Nursing Program.

JMO.

Last edited:
The taking of the nude photos is an interesting detail. Perhaps she had fears that similar photos (taken previously) were going to surface online, and she was getting ahead of the story. Moo
Speculation, even further, made me wonder if she was with a male in a hotel room and had sex, and that is why she didn't want a rape test discovering recent sperm (stating no sexual contact but nude photos taken). Nude photos could have been taken during the missing 49 hours. Just a WAG or two...

JMO.

On Monday morning, the organization said they would refund $63,378 donated in the 48-plus hours the 25-year-old nursing student was missing.

However, on Monday afternoon, they announced that was no longer the case.

“This investigation is still ongoing, and accordingly, there is no basis to refund any contributions at this time. Furthermore, the Hoover Police Department has not requested for any donor contributions to be released or refunded,” the afternoon announcement stated.
Crime Stoppers now says $63,000 raised in Carlee Russell search not being refunded
Didn't the mom’s realty company make a large donation?

Has it been confirmed that she failed out of nursing school?
I often wondered that, but I thought that I heard her mother state that she was in the Nursing Program at Jeff State. That doesn't mean that she actually was still there. It could have been what Carlee told her or what she believes is true. She does need to verify, IMO.

JMO.

Here is information on the 2-year program at Jefferson State Community College. I don't know where she was in the pursuit of her degree.

I do know that I read a 2020 FB post (now deleted) where CR stated that she had been accepted into the nursing program at UAB and encouraged everyone to never give up on their dreams.

She also had that photo of her with the white jacket on the stairs and another one wearing the gray scrubs. Somebody noted that those were not the color of the scrubs worn at the UAB Nursing Program.

JMO.
was it confirmed she was even in nursing school? i certain MA i know tells everyone she is an RN. some ppl are just liars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member