Found Alive AL - Carlethia “Carlee” Russell, 25, 911 call reported toddler walking on side of interstate, car found, she & toddler gone, Birmingham, 13 Jul ‘23 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
re rumours about Carlee having flunked out of nursing studies.
This rumour is untrue.
This is the statement issued by Jefferson College on july 14 in relation to their student, Not their former student. not their failed student, their student.
Though as I write these words I'm fully aware that she may have now passed to one of the former categories.

anyways

It really is not a red flag of any kind with regard to her mental health. There are plenty of idiot amateur criminals who get caught due to their own needless stunts. There are plenty of drama queens who do the same. It literally tells us nothing at all about her mental health. IMO, trying to find a mental health diagnosis to understand (or justify) her actions is wrong. As a society, the pendulum has swung too far when we strive to clinically pathologize all behavior, even when it doesn't fit into the constructs of existing mental illness. We shouldn't be looking for zebras here when the answer is likely very simply, CR wanted to disappear for whatever reason and she wanted hoopla around it. That's not mental illness, IMO.
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it.
I don't approach cases that way and I don't share your views.

Nobody is 'trying to find a mental diagnosis 'to justify anything at all.
We sleuth, we attempt to understand all aspects of every crime/Missing person, that includes attempting to understand their thought processes.
We do not diagnose.
We are not uneducated.

I laughed at your comment, but on a serious note, she needs to face charges! Is she going to hide for awhile until maybe LE forget about all that she did? If what she did was a hoax, charges definitely need to be filed, taxpayers dollars should be taken seriously among other important elements of wrongdoing.

Having flashbacks of other hoax... slender man, balloon boy and a runaway bride. Too many others. It's time to make her an example ... you can't play the game if you don't accept the consequences that come with them. MOO
Especially if she tries to profit from a hoax / publicity stunt. Fine her for the full cost of the investigation.

ALABAMA STATUTE re THEFT. MINIMUM $ AMOUNT for FELONY?
What's the threshold for felony theft? I hope she reached it.

@Megnut Your Q. may have already been answered, but as usu. I'm behind, soooo ---
AL. statutory definition of THEFT seems to apply to robe, etc, taken from spa: "Theft of property - Definition; limitations period." *

Per link below, $2500 Prop. = theft of property in the first degree, which is a class B felony. **

Welcoming clarification or correction, esp'ly from our legal professionals.
imo jmo omo

================================================
* 2022 Code of Alabama :: Title 13A - Criminal Code. :: Chapter 8 - Offenses Involving Theft. :: Article 1 - Theft and Related Offenses. :: Section 13A-8-2 - Theft of Property - Definition; Limitations Period.
" 2022 Code of Alabama
Title 13A - Criminal Code.
Chapter 8 - Offenses Involving Theft.
Article 1 - Theft and Related Offenses.
Section 13A-8-2 - Theft of Property - Definition; Limitations Period.
"Theft of property - Definition; limitations period.
"(a) A person commits the crime of theft of property if he or she:
"(1) Knowingly obtains or exerts unauthorized control over the property of another, with intent to deprive the owner of his or her property;...."

See also, DEFINITIONS of terms re theft at ---
"Article 1 - Theft and Related Offenses.
Section 13A-8-1 - Definitions.
Universal Citation: AL Code § 13A-8-1 (2022)"

** 2022 Code of Alabama :: Title 13A - Criminal Code. :: Chapter 8 - Offenses Involving Theft. :: Article 1 - Theft and Related Offenses. :: Section 13A-8-3 - Theft of Property in the First Degree.
Universal Citation: AL Code § 13A-8-3 (2022)
Section 13A-8-3
"Theft of property in the first degree.
"(a) The theft of property which exceeds two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500) in value, or property of any value taken from the person of another, constitutes theft of property in the first degree....
"(d) Theft of property in the first degree is a Class B felony."
(Acts 1977, No. 607, p. 812, §3202; Acts 1978, No. 770, p. 1110; Act 2003-355, p. 962, §1; Act 2006-561, p. 1298, §1.)

@thefragile7393, I appreciate your opinion.

CR is soon to be 26, earned a bachelor's degree around age 23, employed (formerly) at a day spa,
said to have flunked out of the community college nursing program, living with her parents, and allegedly pulled off a hoax reported around the world. Yes, IMO, that's floundering, and I stand by my post.
The only things that fit floundering are the two in bolded, and there's no evidence of the first bolded yet.

Earning a bachelor's degree at age 23, being employed at a day spa at age 25, and living with her parents at age 25 (58% of Americans aged 18-24 live with their parents as economics/inflation play a huge role) aren't floundering.

No one should be judged for any of those 3 things.

Interesting. One thing, though, you can only get a 2-year Associate's Degree in Jeff State's Nursing Program, I believe. The link says that it was a 4-year degree. It is a Community College, which typically only offer two-year degrees.

Another thing: I lived in that area for a long time. Mountain Brook is the most exclusive and richest section of town. So, it doesn't surprise me that is where she was applying to be a nanny of infants (yikes). Who knows if any of her stated qualifications were accurate.

As for your comment about expectations of her imminent graduation: I also thought about that. What if the lie had come to a head and she was backed into a corner? Graduation Day was approaching. Yet, she was not a student and was not graduating...I wish that someone could check on this.

JMO.
Regarding her upcoming “Graduation”, I agree, if she wasn’t graduating how was she going to get out of that one?
Reminds me of the case where the guy who told countless lies to his pregnant wife including being excepted to Med school and how desperate he became when the walls started closing in on him.

The only things that fit floundering are the two in bolded, and there's no evidence of the first bolded yet.

Earning a bachelor's degree at age 23, being employed at a day spa at age 25, and living with her parents at age 25 (58% of Americans aged 18-24 live with their parents as economics/inflation play a huge role) aren't floundering.

she was still a student according to her college.

Had I had a bachelor's degree already, I would have fast tracked it too. I would do anything I could to use what credits I could towards a BSN or MSN. It's rare that anyone with a degree already is going downgrade to an associates when they can use their degree already earned to get a second bachelors or an MSN.
At 25 she hasn't been floundering-She already had a prior degree and changed her mind and wanted a different degree. I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life until in my 40s. There's nothing to be criticized about any of this here IMO.
Agree wholeheartedly. It's a shame people are judged for not getting their Bachelor's until 23, working at a day spa at 25, or living at home at 25. No one should be judged for either of those 3 things. People progress at their own pace and change their mind on what direction they want to go in - society should be supporting that, not tearing those people down.

Rightfully criticize Carlee for this crime, but don't criticize people for those 3 things as they fit a lot of people in society, many of whom find their own path to success.

Regarding her upcoming “Graduation”, I agree, if she wasn’t graduating how was she going to get out of that one?
Reminds me of the case where the guy who told countless lies to his pregnant wife including being excepted to Med school and how desperate he became when the walls started closing in on him.

Yeah. I remember this case. Wow. I have read so many cases where the kids resort to murder to be keep their lies from being found out. Is it really that earth shattering that you would rather resort to murder? I just don't understand it. I would just tell the truth and let the chips fall where they may.

JMO.

Yeah. I remember this case. Wow. I have read so many cases where the kids resort to murder to be keep their lies from being found out. Is it really that earth shattering that you would rather resort to murder? I just don't understand it. I would just tell the truth and let the chips fall where they may.

JMO.
Exactly!!

Agree wholeheartedly. It's a shame people are judged for not getting their Bachelor's until 23, working at a day spa at 25, or living at home at 25. No one should be judged for either of those 3 things. People progress at their own pace and change their mind on what direction they want to go in - society should be supporting that, not tearing those people down.

Rightfully criticize Carlee for this crime, but don't criticize people for those 3 things as they fit a lot of people in society, many of whom find their own path to success.
I criticize her for pretending to be something that she is not. There is nothing wrong with living at home while working and going to school, but BE HONEST and BE A HARD WORKER. Look at her social media. She was pretending to live the lifestyle of the rich and the famous, and she was lying in half of her posts.

Seattle1 posted her ad where she said that she graduated from Nursing School, was taking a break before going back to earn her Master's degree and was looking for a job as a Nanny in Mountain Brook, AL. Then, she listed a bunch of qualifications that she did (or most probably didn't) have.

Carlee is a con whose most spectacular accomplishment was being able to talk her father into anything that she wanted. She wasn't living at home out of necessity. She lived there because it was easy for her to do so. She wasn't the poor kid struggling to make ends meet. She's not stupid. IMO, she is spoiled, entitled and lazy. She fully expects Mommy and Daddy to rescue her from this mess. I just hope that she has to suffer some type of consequence for her behavior and actions.

If she is not made to take responsibility now, something worse may happen in the future.

JMO.

I’ve read many cases of adult children doing this, and then either faking their own abduction (I was just reading a month or so ago of a case like this) or in some cases murdering the parents to keep from being found out.

Woman charged with faking her own abduction to hide fact that she dropped out of college, state police say​

Chloe Stein, 23, was found Tuesday night at a residence in Jeannette, Pennsylvania, and eventually confessed to authorities that she made up her disappearance, state police said.

View attachment 436109
View attachment 436111
I feel really bad for young people who can't tell their families they've had a "hiccup" in their plans. How many cases have we read where the young person ran off and killed themselves when it was time for graduation..I'm not sure Carlee wanted to be a nurse. Maybe it's a career thing with their family; nursing. I am curious if she was really in a nursing program and how well she really did in school.

Looking back here, I think reading that CR was trying and failing to get into the UAB nursing program after already earning a bachelor's Degree in Psychology-- because she wanted to be a Registered Nurse (RN), is confusing if not misleading.

For clarification, I offer the following:

A registered nurse (RN) is not something obtained by being admitted into a nursing program or earning a college degree but by passing a nurse licensing exam by the State Board of Nursing.

While one can certainly go the 4-year+ University route, and earn a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Nursing, meeting the pre-licensure qualifications to sit for the State Board exam, the same can also be achieved by completing a 2-year community college nursing program-- earning an associate in applied science degree.

For example, reportedly, CR is/was attending Jefferson State Community College which states the following about its two-year, pre-licensure nursing program:

THE PROGRAM:

The Registered Nursing Program at Jefferson State Community College is a two-year associate in applied science degree program accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. (ACEN) and approved by the Alabama Board of Nursing. The nursing program combines general education and nursing courses in sequence while providing knowledge related to professionalism, nursing skills, and the tools needed to practice as a registered nurse.

In other words, 7 years ago CR could have graduated high school, and entered the community college nursing program, and provided she successfully passed the State Board exam, today she could have been practicing as an RN for 5 years already.

And this is not to discount going the baccalaureate route to becoming an RN, but somehow I get the feeling that CR requires instant gratification-- where at age 25, she's been floundering for more years than not. Also, it seems to me that CR probably could have benefited from focusing on a two-year program for either the Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) or RN license, until she gained some maturity to further both her education and her career. JMO

ETA: I come from a family of RNs -- Grandmother and Mum went the Bachelors and Masters route, becoming Hospital Administrators, but my favorite Aunt, at age 17-- followed the way of the Registered Nurse Apprentice which in UK was something like work-study and nursing school combined. However, she was also able to retire long before Mum and could then work on-call for emergency relief services. What I know for certain is that nursing is a calling -- a profession best suited for the selfless, and those of a caring and compassionate nature, plus the ability to work well under pressure! :)
It is a calling indeed. :)

Carlee isn’t in the 18-24 age demographic.

Maybe I’ve just met a lot of dumb people in the last 7 years, but some people are just really dumb.

She definitely needs therapy and in my opinion seems very narcissistic, but I’m seeing more stupidity than mental illness.
Concepts in mental health

Mental health is a state of mental well-being that enables people to cope with the stresses of life, realize their abilities, learn well and work well, and contribute to their community. It is an integral component of health and well-being that underpins our individual and collective abilities to make decisions, build relationships and shape the world we live in. Mental health is a basic human right. And it is crucial to personal, community and socio-economic development.

Mental health is more than the absence of mental disorders. It exists on a complex continuum, which is experienced differently from one person to the next, with varying degrees of difficulty and distress and potentially very different social and clinical outcomes.

Mental health conditions include mental disorders and psychosocial disabilities as well as other mental states associated with significant distress, impairment in functioning, or risk of self-harm. People with mental health conditions are more likely to experience lower levels of mental well-being, but this is not always or necessarily the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzyQuinn