AL - Carlethia “Carlee” Russell, 25, faked own abduction, Birmingham, 13 Jul ‘23 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
She's now 26. I'm still really surprised that the secret service got involved on this one. I've never heard of that, except for maybe the Idaho murders??

I keep picturing the grid search they did to look for her and for clues.
It’s very perplexing as to why the US Secret Services were on this case. In the Idaho case, it was the US Marshals. The Secret Service protect the safety of political figures and investigate financial crimes. Unless they suspect there may be some large financial scam behind this crime, I can’t understand why they’re involved.

Anyone here with any knowledge about this who might be able to provide an answer?

It’s very perplexing as to why the US Secret Services were on this case. In the Idaho case, it was the US Marshals. The Secret Service protect the safety of political figures and investigate financial crimes. Unless they suspect there may be some large financial scam behind this crime, I can’t understand why they’re involved.

Anyone here with any knowledge about this who might be able to provide an answer?
Thank you for this information. I hope someone can answer your question. I'm just very curious about why the secret service showed up, and so quickly, too.

Thank you for this information. I hope someone can answer your question. I'm just very curious about why the secret service showed up, and so quickly, too.
Right, the fact that they were immediately involved.
They are a federal agency, and I also found the following information:

US Secret Service- Federal Agency under Department of Homeland Security​

What types of crimes does the Secret Service investigate?

The Secret Service has primary jurisdiction to investigate threats against Secret Service protectees as well as financial crimes, which include counterfeiting of U.S. currency or other U.S. Government obligations; forgery or theft of U.S. Treasury checks, bonds or other securities; credit card fraud; telecommunications fraud; computer fraud, identify fraud and certain other crimes affecting federally insured financial institutions.

Last edited:
Right, the fact that they were immediately involved.
They are a federal agency, and I also found the following information:

US Secret Service- Federal Agency​

What types of crimes does the Secret Service investigate?

The Secret Service has primary jurisdiction to investigate threats against Secret Service protectees as well as financial crimes, which include counterfeiting of U.S. currency or other U.S. Government obligations; forgery or theft of U.S. Treasury checks, bonds or other securities; credit card fraud; telecommunications fraud; computer fraud, identify fraud and certain other crimes affecting federally insured financial institutions.

Wow!! So, unless she or a family member is a Secret Service protectee, it seems that possible fraud of some type is the only other reason that the Secret Service gets involved??

Looks like she had her big birthday party.

Can anyone explain why the reward money isn’t being returned to donors. Surely, Carlee is not about to be $63,000 richer due to this outrageous escapade? Is it just how the process works?

Wow!! So, unless she or a family member is a Secret Service protectee, it seems that possible fraud of some type is the only other reason that the Secret Service gets involved??
Yes, that’s what seems to be indicated, and why I’m trying to find out if there might be a Websleuth poster who’s a verified attorney or some kind of expert who might give their opinion.

Can anyone explain why the reward money isn’t being returned to donors. Surely, Carlee is not about to be $63,000 richer due to this outrageous escapade? Is it just how the process works?

Probably law enforcement have to resolve the case first in terms of any charges before they would address that aspect.

To me, that looks like they really do not care how this looks to people.

jmo

To me, that looks like they really do not care how this looks to people.

jmo
I wonder how that can be, considering social and legal consequences?

Crime Stoppers initially said the money would be returned to donors when Russell showed up at her parent's home on July 15.

Now the organization has backtracked on this promise because the investigation is 'still ongoing'.

IIRC I think this has something to do with her Father’s job as an executive VP at a bank. A kidnapping of his child could be an attempt to extort money from the bank. That brings in SS etc.

Years ago, a friend whose husband was President of a local bank had her cleaning lady sneak in her house to use their computer. It became a much bigger deal because of his job, due to something like that.

IIRC I think this has something to do with her Father’s job as an executive VP at a bank. A kidnapping of his child could be an attempt to extort money from the bank. That brings in SS etc.

Years ago, a friend whose husband was President of a local bank had her cleaning lady sneak in her house to use their computer. It became a much bigger deal because of his job, due to something like that.
Well, as the US Secret Service is run by the Department of Homeland Security and has a reputation for unlocking cell phone data swiftly, I hope this backfires in terms of Carlee’s hoax.

I’m getting the sense of well-heeled people feeling entitled and above the rules, impervious to legal ramifications. MOO

Maybe it was a birthday celebration??

<modsnip - quoted post was a response to a rumor>
When the Secret Service is involved, that's no joke. Legally, and in every other way, I'd want to give the case a very wide berth. MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, as the US Secret Service is run by the Department of Homeland Security and has a reputation for unlocking cell phone data swiftly, I hope this backfires in terms of Carlee’s hoax.

I’m getting the sense of well-heeled people feeling entitled and above the rules, impervious to legal ramifications. MOO
Agree, on all counts!!!

No, no, the reward money doesn't default go to her because she "found herself", which means she might not even have been missing in the first place, lol.

I mean, I can't imagine why it would... that's fraud.

I don't know why it hasn't gone back to the donors; but it's not because it's de facto being kept somewhere in/as a trust for Carlee.

If anything, I would imagine it (or part of it) would go to the person who exposed her as a hoaxer; like someone who provided Ring cam footage.

For those of you wondering why the SS became involved, it's already been explained in the media & discussed here:

"In a press conference held by the Hoover Police Department Wednesday afternoon, Chief Nicholas Derzis said that HPD had enlisted the help of the United States Secret Service in analyzing data from Carlee Russell’s cell phone. “(The) data includes several internet searches in the days leading up to her disappearance that I think are very relevant to this case,” Derzis said." What Carlee Russell searched on her phone leading up to her disappearance

The SS offers assistance in analyzing tech quite often.
They have the expensive tools and the professionals that are trained on how to use them.

No, no, the reward money doesn't default go to her because she "found herself", which means she might not even have been missing in the first place, lol.

I mean, I can't imagine why it would... that's fraud.

I don't know why it hasn't gone back to the donors; but it's not because it's de facto being kept somewhere in/as a trust for Carlee.

If anything, I would imagine it (or part of it) would go to the person who exposed her as a hoaxer; like someone who provided Ring cam footage.
The article states clearly that the holdup is due to the ongoing investigation.

I read the news today, Oh Boy!

It seems that CR had a lovely birthday weekend. Happy to see that she had friends and family over for support. I was almost hoping that an intervention took place at the family home. You know...the " Come clean and speak your truth" kind...

Or.....was it a Round up the wagons meeting? Everybody show your support, and pony up for a Private Investigator type meeting?

The instructions to all attendees ( could be ? ) to look for a ( Jim-Bob ) type of red-headed and balding, 18 wheeler-driving dude, (who is fairly efficient in removing sewn on/glued on wigs mind you ) and is accompanied by a somewhat silent and non-descriptive female who feeds cheese crackers to captives. He/ they also have a sometimes crying toddler/baby who is notably fearless and very fast ..with them, you know...to aid in their dastardly deeds as a decoy.

The trio is quick and efficient in switching from truck-trailer to a non de script vehicle, and are known to circle a 10 mile radius and gently toss their victims out- fairly close to their home, after taking pictures of them while blindfolded, so as not to cause any serious injury.

BOLO !!

Good Luck with that one, Team Carlee

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads