AL - Carlethia “Carlee” Russell, 25, faked own abduction, Birmingham, 13 Jul ‘23 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any updates on charges and/or press conference.
*Not so far, but then, yesterday’s announcement came in the afternoon without any warning.

*Something was definitely going on yesterday: Hoover police were set to do a presser and AlabamaDOTCom had a live stream set up, counting down the minutes— and then it was all taken down with no explanation.

*Media packed up their cameras and all left the Jefferson county jail @ Bessemer at the same time yesterday, from a post by Birmingham Crime Stoppers.

*It’s apparent that the defense attorney brought Carlee in there, so we are still waiting for the DA to announce the charges.

From 11 minutes ago:

The Jefferson County District Attorney's Bessemer Division office has talked with police about potentially pressing charges against Carlee Russell, the Alabama woman who told police she was kidnapped after she went missing for two days, prosecutors confirmed to ABC News.

Chief Assistant District Attorney Lane Tolbert told ABC News on Thursday that police are seeking two charges against Russell -- falsely reporting an incident and false reporting to law enforcement authorities -- which are each class A misdemeanors in Alabama and punishable by up to one year in prison, he said.

"We advise what we think the charges should be," Tolbert said, adding that if charges are filed they would be filed by the Circuit Clerk of Jefferson County, Bessemer Division's office.

Asked by ABC News on Thursday morning when and if charges could be filed, a spokesperson for the circuit clerk's office declined to comment.

Last edited:
< modsnip - speculation outside the bounds of the known facts of the case> The timeframe? The need to create such a preposterous story? A baby on the side of the road. It seems that the karma bus caught up with her and she didn't know what to do. The presser taken down without explanation...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sherri Papini. How Many Restitution $ Has She Paid?

My question: The title says it all.
Anyone? TiA.

Gen. background re case.
To be fair, the Sherri Papini case is a bit different. SP accepted $30,000 from a victim's compensation fund, and her family raised over $49,000 in donations. She stole money from real victims to buy blinds for her house! That's in addition to the hundreds of thousands of dollars that were spent on manpower and resources searching for her and the lies she gave to federal agents.

I do believe Carlee should be charged with filing a false police report and misusing 9-1-1, as well as be forced to pay back the money that was spent looking for her.

I do believe Carlee should be charged with filing a false police report and misusing 9-1-1, as well as be forced to pay back the money that was spent looking for her.

That and several other appropriate charges, at the least, IMO.

I have concerns that there’s a part of Carlee that’s actually reveling in being national news, rather than feeling the shame she ought to feel.

Boilerplate statement from her lawyer makes me doubt how apologetic she actually is feeling.

JMO and I hope I’m wrong.

To be fair, the Sherri Papini case is a bit different. SP accepted $30,000 from a victim's compensation fund, and her family raised over $49,000 in donations. She stole money from real victims to buy blinds for her house! That's in addition to the hundreds of thousands of dollars that were spent on manpower and resources searching for her and the lies she gave to federal agents.

Agree, but she also needs to be charged with theft from a business.

That, alone, will be a red flag to anyone that even thinks about hiring her, or allowing her into an education program or any situation of professional training.

She has demonstrated she is not fit to work in a position of trust, such as an RN, CRNA, or nurse's aid.

Last edited:

That, alone, will be a red flag to anyone that even thinks about her, or allowing her into an education program or any situation of professional training.

She has demonstrated she is not fit to work in a position of trust, such as an RN, CRNA, or nurse's aid.
I wouldn't trust her to feed my cats.

Just like anyone else breaking the law, she deserves to suffer the legal consequences of her illegal and fraudulant actions.

jmo

This might be a Captain Obvious statement, but I think LE may be using the press conferences to put pressure on CR to give up more info. Maybe the threat of impending charges got her to tell more and that is why the press conference yesterday was cancelled. I think in a lot of these situations a deal is struck, so I'm anticipation that some of the charges people would like to see may not happen, or maybe the charges will happen but the punishment might seem light. JMO

That, alone, will be a red flag to anyone that even thinks about her, or allowing her into an education program or any situation of professional training.

that's up to the business if they want to press charges. So....she may or may not have that happen

This might be a Captain Obvious statement, but I think LE may be using the press conferences to put pressure on CR to give up more info. Maybe the threat of impending charges got her to tell more and that is why the press conference yesterday was cancelled. I think in a lot of these situations a deal is struck, so I'm anticipation that some of the charges people would like to see may not happen, or maybe the charges will happen but the punishment might seem light. JMO

I would believe the attorney is doing everything possible to avoid having her face the cameras or made an open public statement acknowledging her crimes.

Plea bargaining negotiations. Lots of billable hours. Parents will pay anything to avoid having her face the public with LE standing beside her.

That, alone, will be a red flag to anyone that even thinks about hiring her, or allowing her into an education program or any situation of professional training.

Well yes, of course, I forgot about that one.

*Not so far, but then, yesterday’s announcement came in the afternoon without any warning.

*Something was definitely going on yesterday: Hoover police were set to do a presser and AlabamaDOTCom had a live stream set up, counting down the minutes— and then it was all taken down with no explanation.

*Media packed up their cameras and all left the Jefferson county jail @ Bessemer at the same time yesterday, from a post by Birmingham Crime Stoppers.

*It’s apparent that the defense attorney brought Carlee in there, so we are still waiting for the DA to announce the charges.

From 11 minutes ago:

The Jefferson County District Attorney's Bessemer Division office has talked with police about potentially pressing charges against Carlee Russell, the Alabama woman who told police she was kidnapped after she went missing for two days, prosecutors confirmed to ABC News.

Chief Assistant District Attorney Lane Tolbert told ABC News on Thursday that police are seeking two charges against Russell -- falsely reporting an incident and false reporting to law enforcement authorities -- which are each class A misdemeanors in Alabama and punishable by up to one year in prison, he said.

"We advise what we think the charges should be," Tolbert said, adding that if charges are filed they would be filed by the Circuit Clerk of Jefferson County, Bessemer Division's office.

Asked by ABC News on Thursday morning when and if charges could be filed, a spokesperson for the circuit clerk's office declined to comment.

I read the lack of press conference as a possible plea deal in the works.

JMO

We don't know much about Carlee's life, maybe she felt like if she was missing for a few days, no one would even notice that she was gone. If her BF had broken up with her, he wouldn't notice. Maybe her parents were busy with their lives, I don't keep tabs on my adult children too much.

Maybe she wanted to know that she mattered. Not saying this is true, but perhaps she has a mental disorder, and truly felt alone, and wanted to see if anyone really cared about her.

If she accepts what she did was wrong, and does a diversion program of court ordered mental health treatment, maybe this would be an acceptable outcome. It sounds like she definitely needs it.
I suppose that could be the case if she just checked out, decided no one would miss her, etc. But that is not what she did.....she drew as much attention to herself as she possibly could!!!!!

I suppose that could be the case if she just checked out, decided no one would miss her, etc. But that is not what she did.....she drew as much attention to herself as she possibly could!!!!!
Exactly: She could have gone away for a few days and seen if anyone missed her. Maybe they would have reported her as a missing person, but officially in cases involving adults that isn’t done until 48 hours have passed.

What she did with the toddler, the 911 call, the family call, the scream, was a colossal premeditated criminal act.

That and several other appropriate charges, at the least, IMO.

I have concerns that there’s a part of Carlee that’s actually reveling in being national news, rather than feeling the shame she ought to feel.

Boilerplate statement from her lawyer makes me doubt how apologetic she actually is feeling.

JMO and I hope I’m wrong.

She should get both jail time and community service. Let her revel in that... 50 hours of community service and 100 days in jail.

What about charges for stealing from her former employer?

I read the lack of press conference as a possible plea deal in the works.

JMO
I hope there’s no plea deal because of of the time, expertise, and funds needed to search and investigate the missing person. In my eyes, an apology via the attorney doesn't truly express Carlee’s deep and sincere regrets. This expended energy could have been used toward the search for the lost and missing. My heart hurts for the missing who rarely get this attention from LE and search teams.

She should get both jail time and community service. Let her revel in that... 50 hours of community service and 100 days in jail.

What about charges for stealing from her former employer?
That's on her employer to do, if they want to. It was petty theft, not armed robbery, so if her former place of employment wants to press charges they are free to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper