GUILTY AL - Three dead, 3 injured in shooting at UAH, Amy Bishop charged

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I thought it was very interesting in the first article that her brother Seth had saved Amy's life when they were younger.

That article about her being "almost invisible" reminds me of a teaching exercise we learned in college when I was getting my elementary ed degree.

You ask each child (privately) what other children they like to play/socialize/sit with (depending on the age, phrasing may vary). Then you ask them which children they would prefer not to play with.

The interesting thing is that the children who are disliked are not at the greatest risk. The ones who are most likely to drop out, commit suicide, etc. are the ones whose names are never mentioned. It's like they're invisible.

I am going to look for that research since it has stuck with me for almost 20 years. It's one of the first things that pops into my head when we read about murderers who were perfectly nice, a little quiet, and kept to themselves.

I don't think she is legally criminally insane and often times people like Bishop cannot be treated. They are what they are.

Bishop seems to have no concept of what it means to possess a conscience. She seems to easily think that eradicating her perceived adversaries is justified. That is not MI but more in line of a schizo or sociopath. We unfortunately see some of these people become murder defendants yet they are not ruled legally insane under judicial standards.

I think Bishop is crazy like a fox. She knows that she has used the defense of "I don't remember" and it worked for her in the past but this time she will not get away with it. There is no way she will be declared MI. She led a productive life both in her professional and personal relationships. She knew exactly what she was doing that day, IMO. She planned to mow them all down. She knew to get rid of the murder weapon.

She needs to be given LWOP or the DP so that the public at large is no longer in danger of her.

I think she suffers from malignant narcissism. There is no way I would believe she is a paranoid schizophrenic, although paranoid behavior can be part of malignant narcissism.

She should absolutely be kept away from society for the rest of her life. She will hurt/kill again. During her trial, I hope they take great pains to keep her from jumping the bailiff for his gun.

Here is a link at Wikipedia for malignant narcissism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malignant_narcissism

I don't think she is legally criminally insane and often times people like Bishop cannot be treated. They are what they are.

Bishop seems to have no concept of what it means to possess a conscience. She seems to easily think that eradicating her perceived adversaries is justified. That is not MI but more in line of a schizo or sociopath. We unfortunately see some of these people become murder defendants yet they are not ruled legally insane under judicial standards.

I think Bishop is crazy like a fox. She knows that she has used the defense of "I don't remember" and it worked for her in the past but this time she will not get away with it. There is no way she will be declared MI. She led a productive life both in her professional and personal relationships. She knew exactly what she was doing that day, IMO. She planned to mow them all down. She knew to get rid of the murder weapon.

She needs to be given LWOP or the DP so that the public at large is no longer in danger of her.

She did live a productive life. She had to have really thought she would get away with it or she never gave her children a thought. It is just so sad that she ruined so many lives because she didn't get tenure. And for what? She had to have known that she certainly wasn't going to get tenure anywhere after she shot her co workers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/21/us/21bishop.html?ref=us

Not long after Amy Bishop was identified as the professor who had been arrested in the shooting of six faculty members at the University of Alabama in Huntsville on Feb. 12, the campus police received a series of reports even stranger than the shooting itself.

Several people with connections to the university’s biology department warned that Dr. Bishop, a neuroscientist with a Harvard Ph.D., might have booby-trapped the science building with some sort of “herpes bomb,” police officials said, designed to spread the dangerous virus. :eek:

Only people who had worked with Dr. Bishop would know that she had done work with the herpes virus as a post-doctoral student and had talked about how it could cause encephalitis. She had also written an unpublished novel in which a herpes-like virus spreads throughout the world, causing pregnant women to miscarry.

By the time of the reports, the police had already swept every room of the science building, finding nothing but a 9-millimeter handgun in the second-floor restroom.

But the anxious warnings reflected the fears of those who know Dr. Bishop that she could go to great lengths to retaliate against those she felt had wronged her.

I think she suffers from malignant narcissism. There is no way I would believe she is a paranoid schizophrenic, although paranoid behavior can be part of malignant narcissism.

She should absolutely be kept away from society for the rest of her life. She will hurt/kill again. During her trial, I hope they take great pains to keep her from jumping the bailiff for his gun.

Here is a link at Wikipedia for malignant narcissism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malignant_narcissism

Oh, yeah, good link. I see what you mean.

Witness reported talk of revenge in bomb case
Bishop spouse was described as angry

By Shelley Murphy
Globe Staff / February 23, 2010

After two pipe bombs arrived at the Newton home of Dr. Paul Rosenberg in December 1993, a witness told investigators that Jimmy E. Anderson Jr. had said he “wanted to get back at’’ the doctor by shooting, bombing, stabbing, or strangling him, according to files released yesterday by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Nothing in the files indicated whether investigators found the unidentified witness credible. But the files confirmed that Anderson and his wife, Amy Bishop, were questioned in the attempted mail bombing. The documents also provided more details about why investigators may have focused on them - although they were never charged.

Rosenberg, a Harvard Medical School professor and physician at Children’s Hospital, told investigators that weeks before the attempted bombing, he played a role in Bishop’s resignation from her job as a postdoctoral research fellow in the hospital’s neurobiology lab because “he felt she could not meet the standards required for the work,’’ according to the documents.

Rosenberg said Bishop’s co-workers felt she had “problems with depression,’’ that he thought “she was not stable,’’ and that there had been growing concerns because she had “exhibited violent behavior.’’

more here

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...revenge_from_bishops_husband_in_93_bomb_case/

I always thought there was something 'off' about the husband too (JMOOOC)

By Shelley Murphy

After two pipe bombs arrived at the Newton home of Dr. Paul Rosenberg in December 1993, a witness told investigators that Jimmy E. Anderson Jr. had said he “wanted to get back at’’ the doctor by shooting, bombing, stabbing, or strangling him, according to files released yesterday by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Nothing in the files indicated whether investigators found the unidentified witness credible. But the files confirmed that Anderson and his wife, Amy Bishop, were questioned in the attempted mail bombing. The documents also provided more details about why investigators may have focused on them - although they were never charged.

Rosenberg, a Harvard Medical School professor and physician at Children’s Hospital, told investigators that weeks before the attempted bombing, he played a role in Bishop’s resignation from her job as a postdoctoral research fellow in the hospital’s neurobiology lab because “he felt she could not meet the standards required for the work,’’ according to the documents.

Rosenberg said Bishop’s co-workers felt she had “problems with depression,’’ that he thought “she was not stable,’’ and that there had been growing concerns because she had “exhibited violent behavior.’’

more here

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...revenge_from_bishops_husband_in_93_bomb_case/

Thanks for copying this, Texas Mist. (Great moniker.) The extraordinary thing of course is that Dr. Rosenberg's actions were apparently taken against Dr. Bishop, not Anderson. That Anderson should verbalize violent wishes seems weird and says something about the marriage and why her anger festered to the boiling point.

By Shelley Murphy

more here

When he commented wondering what the University did to her to cause her to snap, I thought that was odd. He lived with her, he knew of her violent past.

When he commented wondering what the University did to her to cause her to snap, I thought that was odd. He lived with her, he knew of her violent past.

I think her husband knows all too well how it is to live with Bishop. I think they all walked a tightrope in the home trying not to provoke her.

It disgusts me that even now he tries to misplace blame as if all of this really wasnt her fault but the faculty members brought this on by provoking Bishop. GMAB!:innocent:

I think each and every time she showed her violent and aggressive manner her family clamored for excuses and always blamed it on the victims instead of Amy Bishop.

imo

Norfolk DA Seeks Inquest In 1986 Bishop Shooting Case
By FRED THYS
Published February 25, 2010 UPDATED 5:13 PM

CANTON, Mass. — Norfolk District Attorney William Keating said there are enough discrepancies and contradictions in past police reports to seek an inquest into the 1986 shooting of Seth Bishop by his sister, Amy.

The killing was ruled an accident, but the authorities have come under fire recently for how the case was handled, two weeks after Bishop allegedly killed three colleagues at the University of Alabama-Huntsville.

“The more we looked at the reports, the more questions we had,” Keating said at a news conference Thursday.

An inquest allows a judge to subpoena witnesses and compel testimony, including Bishop’s mother, Judy, the only person who saw the shooting, and Bishop’s father, Samuel, who told police there had been an argument before the shooting. Bishop’s parents have refused to cooperate with investigators.

There is also evidence of possible foul play. Photographs of the crime scene show an article on the floor next to Bishop’s bed revealing that she was interested in a very similar shooting that happened sometime before she shot her brother.
:eek:

http://www.wbur.org/2010/02/25/bishop-norfolk-da

===========================

2 Officers, 2 Stories Of 1986 Bishop Shooting

MARSHFIELD, Mass. — As the case continues to unfold, so do the questions.

A Braintree police officer and the town’s former police chief, 24 years later, are telling two very different stories about what happened on the day that Amy shot her brother, Seth.

On Dec. 6, 1986, Bishop fatally shot her brother with a 12-gauge shotgun and, according to recently released documents, fled her home in Braintree with the gun. Then she used the gun to threaten two men in an auto body shop before two Braintree police officers disarmed and arrested her.

He Said, He Said

Back at the Braintree Police station, the stories begin to diverge.

Frank McGee, the lawyer for Ronald Solomini, one of the arresting officers, said Lt. James Sullivan advised Bishop of her rights, and started a conversation with her. She tried to tell Lt. Sullivan the shooting was an accident.

“But while this is going on,” McGee said, “in the station comes storming her mother, and she’s in a very loud voice saying, ‘Where is John V.? I want to see John V.’ ”

more here

http://www.wbur.org/2010/02/25/bishop-braintree

=========================================

ETA:

Norfolk DA seeks an inquest in Seth Bishop's 1986 death

Keating said at a news conference this afternoon that he had filed a request for the inquest today at Quincy District Court.

He said he was seeking the inquest because, in his own review of the handling of the case, he was not getting cooperation from Bishop's parents, Judith and Samuel Bishop.

"They have refused upon our efforts to speak to investigators," Keating said.

Keating also said there were inconsistencies in the police reports, including two different accounts of Seth Bishop's body position when he was found, with one saying he was face up and another saying he was face down.

And he said that a crime scene photo from that era showed that next to the shotgun shells found in Amy Bishop's bedroom, there was a newspaper with an article that chronicled a similar attack to the one she allegedly committed.

Keating said he questioned whether the shooting was truly accidental, and he said an inquest could lead to a homicide charge against Amy Bishop.

more here

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/02/norfolk_da_seek.html

I am not at all surprised she was interested in a similar shooting before she shot her brother. Like I already said, for the present shooting, police should confiscate her computers and look up all her searches. Was she interested in work related violence, shooting at workplaces, etc?
Especially considering she will apparently try "I don't remember doing it" insanity defense.

Norfolk DA Seeks Inquest In 1986 Bishop Shooting Case
By FRED THYS
Published February 25, 2010 UPDATED 5:13 PM

CANTON, Mass. — Norfolk District Attorney William Keating said there are enough discrepancies and contradictions in past police reports to seek an inquest into the 1986 shooting of Seth Bishop by his sister, Amy.

The killing was ruled an accident, but the authorities have come under fire recently for how the case was handled, two weeks after Bishop allegedly killed three colleagues at the University of Alabama-Huntsville.

“The more we looked at the reports, the more questions we had,” Keating said at a news conference Thursday.

An inquest allows a judge to subpoena witnesses and compel testimony, including Bishop’s mother, Judy, the only person who saw the shooting, and Bishop’s father, Samuel, who told police there had been an argument before the shooting. Bishop’s parents have refused to cooperate with investigators.

There is also evidence of possible foul play. Photographs of the crime scene show an article on the floor next to Bishop’s bed revealing that she was interested in a very similar shooting that happened sometime before she shot her brother.
:eek:

http://www.wbur.org/2010/02/25/bishop-norfolk-da

===========================

2 Officers, 2 Stories Of 1986 Bishop Shooting

MARSHFIELD, Mass. — As the case continues to unfold, so do the questions.

A Braintree police officer and the town’s former police chief, 24 years later, are telling two very different stories about what happened on the day that Amy shot her brother, Seth.

On Dec. 6, 1986, Bishop fatally shot her brother with a 12-gauge shotgun and, according to recently released documents, fled her home in Braintree with the gun. Then she used the gun to threaten two men in an auto body shop before two Braintree police officers disarmed and arrested her.

He Said, He Said

Back at the Braintree Police station, the stories begin to diverge.

Frank McGee, the lawyer for Ronald Solomini, one of the arresting officers, said Lt. James Sullivan advised Bishop of her rights, and started a conversation with her. She tried to tell Lt. Sullivan the shooting was an accident.

“But while this is going on,” McGee said, “in the station comes storming her mother, and she’s in a very loud voice saying, ‘Where is John V.? I want to see John V.’ ”

more here

http://www.wbur.org/2010/02/25/bishop-braintree

=========================================

ETA:

Norfolk DA seeks an inquest in Seth Bishop's 1986 death

Keating said at a news conference this afternoon that he had filed a request for the inquest today at Quincy District Court.

He said he was seeking the inquest because, in his own review of the handling of the case, he was not getting cooperation from Bishop's parents, Judith and Samuel Bishop.

"They have refused upon our efforts to speak to investigators," Keating said.

Keating also said there were inconsistencies in the police reports, including two different accounts of Seth Bishop's body position when he was found, with one saying he was face up and another saying he was face down.

And he said that a crime scene photo from that era showed that next to the shotgun shells found in Amy Bishop's bedroom, there was a newspaper with an article that chronicled a similar attack to the one she allegedly committed.

Keating said he questioned whether the shooting was truly accidental, and he said an inquest could lead to a homicide charge against Amy Bishop.

more here

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/02/norfolk_da_seek.html

Not that we can be sure that this is the truth, but in the last article about the inquest into Amy's brother's shooting, in the comment section, it was stated by a poster that Amy's boyfriend at the time of the shooting, was her present husband, Anderson. Seems like these two have been "together" through everything that Amy seems to have been involved with. Hmmmmm...:waitasec:

Not that we can be sure that this is the truth, but in the last article about the inquest into Amy's brother's shooting, in the comment section, it was stated by a poster that Amy's boyfriend at the time of the shooting, was her present husband, Anderson. Seems like these two have been "together" through everything that Amy seems to have been involved with. Hmmmmm...:waitasec:

That comment is accurate. Anderson himself has stated the two were dating when Bishop shot her brother.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...re_questions_on_professor_held_in_ala/?page=3

OT, but not a very good year for UAH in 2006 either.

Zakin's nude body was found by fishermen on June 1, 2006, in the Tennessee River at the Alabama 20 boat docks in Decatur. A bag of rocks and a belt had been tied around her neck.

Pakhomov, who has remarried, pleaded not guilty in 2006.

Pakhomov and Zakin were both employed at the University of Alabama in Huntsville. He is a physics professor; she was a contract administrator. (BBM)

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2009/08/uah_professor_skips_chance_to.html

"Mass.–Investigators have discovered that a newspaper in triple murder suspect Amy Bishop's bedroom when she killed her brother more than 20 years ago described an incident strikingly similar to what she did that day, raising doubt about her claim it was an accident."

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/772400--is-u-s-college-prof-a-natural-born-killer

Thanks, JJenny. The two most striking elements are that the apparently saved newspaper dated from the month before the shooting and that the killer in the article stole a getaway vehicle from a local car dealership, which of course is what Ms. Bishop was attempting to do at the time the police subdued her.

Thanks, JJenny. The two most striking elements are that the apparently saved newspaper dated from the month before the shooting and that the killer in the article stole a getaway vehicle from a local car dealership, which of course is what Ms. Bishop was attempting to do at the time the police subdued her.

Not only that, this article says:
"Also missing from his report is any description of the gun, its make, or its manufacturer. Consider that it was a pump-action shotgun, in which the user has to pump the barrel to load a shell into the chamber. And the shotgun was loaded when it was recovered, meaning that even after shooting her brother “accidentally”, Amy Bishop had loaded it again. Indeed, Officer Solimini says now that he recalls a hole in the downstairs ceiling where Amy Bishop fired another shell after shooting her brother, which would mean she reloaded it twice, and she was carrying an extra shell in her pocket."

http://www.wbur.org/2010/03/02/bishop-howe-reporters-notebook

I think this is outrageous. The article also says she " Or how she had managed to shoot him at such close range that there was only an inch-and-a-half hole in his chest and no spread of pellets?"

What kind of accident was it? At the very least they should have charged her for what she did at the dealership. Since she got away with all of it in her brother's demise, I would guess she could have been expecting to get away with what she did to her co-workers at Alabama. She'd say "I don't remember doing it" and they'd just let her go.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214
Back