GUILTY AL - Three dead, 3 injured in shooting at UAH, Amy Bishop charged

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't think this one's been posted. Amy Bishop was arrested in 2002 after assaulting a woman who got the last booster seat at a pancake house.
"We were here first," the police report quoted Bishop as saying, according to Bonaiuto. She then became loud and abusive to the woman, shouting profanity at her and at one point saying, "I am Dr. Amy Bishop."
Bishop was asked to stop using profanity but continued to verbally abuse the woman, becoming so loud that she was heard throughout the restaurant, police said.
The manager asked her to leave, and Bishop struck the woman on the right side of her head in front of the woman's children, Bonaiuto said. She then left the restaurant, and the manager wrote down her license plate number. http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/02/17/alabama.shooting/

What a pair these two are! (Photo of the loving couple)

http://www.boston.com/news/local/gallery/02_15_10_bishop/

Now we’re finding out that they are both Dungens and Dragons devotees and met at a D&D club at Northeastern U. "They even acted this crap out," the source claimed.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98387-Alabama-University-Shooter-Played-Dungeons-Dragons

What in the world is the last line in the article at your link supposed to mean? Are we sure this article is serious?

"At least one observer also expressed concern that Dungeons & Dragons is a "gateway game" that could lead people to play the infinitely more dangerous Mazes and Monsters, the game that famously drove Tom Hanks irretrievably insane in 1982." BBM

It seems like Amy explodes approximately every eight years:

1986. She kills her brother.
1993. She perhaps attempts to murder a Harvard professor.
2002. She attacks a fellow IHop customer.
2010. She stages the Huntsville massacre.

Of course, there could be some incidents we're still missing.

I truly believe that Bishop's mother and father helped create who she is.

They had to know that this woman had an explosive temper and it just didn't start when she murdered her brother imo and I believe that her parents all of her life covered for her trying to appease her so that her wrath would not turn toward them. I think living with Amy Bishop was like walking a tightrope.

So imo they were willing to sacrifice their son's death in order to stay on Amy's good side. Did they think they would be next if they did not do so? I wouldn't be surprised at all if that went through their minds.

So they not only helped to create this raging narcissist but they fed it more and more by not standing up to her and making excuses when there were none. Just like it seems that her wimpy husband did. I am sure what Amy said was how it went in that household.

Never can I believe she was ever a loving mother unless her children were robots who never erred one minute of their lives. I think if they followed her dictatorial rules then things were tolerable but if they dared make a mistake or get out of line it was hell to pay.

The brother was probably murdered because he dared to take his father's side about the argument. She seems to have the capability to eradicate anyone that doesn't side with her..who does not grovel at her feet.

She is one of the coldest murderers I have seen in a Long time. She certainly planned to kill them all in the meeting, even the woman who was her best friend there. I cannot fathom the trauma this woman will have to endure knowing that gun was pointed right at her head and the trigger pulled only for it to be empty making Bishop having to reload again. Even though it was miracle she was spared she will never get over seeing the face of the woman she had befriended staring down at her and firing the weapon.

Treacherous and evil does not begin to describe Amy Bishop. She stomped her way through life leaving many victims in her path. Now that she is off the streets I hope the death penalty is imposed and justice will finally be served. It sure has been a long time coming and it is so sad that others had to die before she was brought down. This should have happened years ago.

imo

There does seem to be a long prehistory.

It's extraordinary that a young woman who just killed her sibling would leave him on the floor to die, put on a jacket, flee the scene with the weapon and aim it towards at least two other people. And it wasn't until the third "put down your weapon" that she finally complied.

It also seems remarkable that the Huntsville killings came not in a single moment of outrage, but half an hour to an hour (depending on reports) into a relatively routine meeting. That some one could bring a weapon to the college, teach a class unremarkably, and then attempt to exterminate the people who worked closest to her is both unnerving and terrifying.

Details of brother's 1986 killing emerge as victims describe professor's campus rampage

By GREG BLUESTEIN and STEVE LeBLANC , Associated Press
Last update: February 17, 2010 - 8:02 AM

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. - When police finally tracked down Amy Bishop on the day she shot and killed her teenage brother in 1986, she was crouching behind a parked car, carrying a shotgun at waist level with one round in the chamber and a second in her pocket.
They also detail for the first time how she was detained. Bishop had fled with the gun, and two officers tracked her down outside a car dealership near her home. As one officer asked Bishop to put the gun down, a second officer, using a truck as cover, moved within about 5 feet of Bishop.

"I drew my service revolver and yelled three times drop the rifle," Officer Timothy Murphy wrote. "After the third time she did."

Police examined the shotgun and found it loaded with a 12-gauge round. A second round was discovered in her pocket.

more here in 3-page article

http://www.startribune.com/nation/84587377.html?page=1&c=y

OK - so she'd already fired 3 round that we know of....what kind of pump shotgun did she have? was it a sporting model (that can hold 3+ shells)?

Did she reload after shooting 3 rounds?

I am simply amazed at the police and the DA. Even assuming for a moment her brother's death was an accident, why didn't they charge her for what she did at the car dealership.
And it's also ridiculous how they investigated her brother's death-not questioning her for 11 days, not doing ballistic testing, etc.
Now three people are dead, and the best the police and DA can do is that statute of limitations has run out. If they done their job back then, maybe she would have figured out by now there are consequences to her actions.

Sounds to me like Amy's mother may have some behavior issues as well. That is a very strange way to act after your son has been shot. Could she have felt that if he lived, he would have told the truth as to what happened. How can you just give up on your son after he has been shot? Wouldn't a mother be waiting by the child's side instead of at the front door? Seems very odd to me.

IMO, it's very similar to the reason the Anthonys have. They lost a son and they didn't want to lose a daughter too.

What a pair these two are! (Photo of the loving couple)

http://www.boston.com/news/local/gallery/02_15_10_bishop/

Now we’re finding out that they are both Dungens and Dragons devotees and met at a D&D club at Northeastern U. "They even acted this crap out," the source claimed.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98387-Alabama-University-Shooter-Played-Dungeons-Dragons

Dungeons and Dragons? :rolleyes:

Rock and Roll is responsible for deaths too. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

EXCERPT:
A source close to the shooting investigation told NewsCenter 5 that police officers who arrested Bishop in 1986 called it the "scariest day" of their lives.

"I remember looking at her and thinking 'She killed her brother and now she's going to kill me,'" one officer, who did not want to be named, told NewsCenter 5's Kelley Tuthill.

William Keating, the current Norfolk County district attorney, said Bishop should have been charged with assault with a dangerous weapon for her alleged actions after shooting her brother in 1986.

"There was a mistake in not doing it. I don't think you can justify it," Keating said.

...Keating said other parts of the Braintree police report raised concerns as well.

"I'm a little nonplussed when I read a report and in the middle of an interview not involving a juvenile where the person's mother can just walk in to that interview," Keating said.

According to the police report, Judy Bishop didn't want her daughter to make any further statements or be asked any further questions.

A source close to the investigation told NewsCenter 5 that after the shooting, a Braintree officer was planning to book Bishop, and even recalled writing the word "murder" on the sheet, until word came that Bishop was being released.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/22594111/detail.html

Alabama victims’ kin, cops ‘very angry’ at Massachusetts
‘Look how many lives were taken’

By Dave Wedge, Laurel J. Sweet and Jessica Heslam
Thursday, February 18, 2010 - Added 2m ago

Outrage is boiling over in Alabama at Massachusetts authorities for failing to corral alleged spree killer Amy Bishop 24 years ago when the Braintree woman shot and killed her brother.

“We’re very angry,” said Jennifer Davis, whose brother-in-law’s wife, Maria Ragland Davis, was one of three killed in Friday’s massacre at the University of Alabama in Huntsville. “(Bishop) took someone’s life. If (Massachusetts officials) knew she had problems, maybe they could have done something. Look how many lives were taken.”
Bishop, 44, shot and killed her brother, Seth, in Braintree in 1986 but was never charged. She also wasn’t charged with menacing two people with a shotgun in Braintree after the shooting, an allegation noted in Braintree police reports that were apparently never shared with state police or the Norfolk District Attorney’s Office.
And more details were revealed yesterday, including that a Massachusetts judge ignored prosecutors and refused to order Bishop into anger management in 2002 after she admitted to striking a fellow mom in the head in a Peabody pancake house flap over a kids’ booster seat.

Judge Robert Ronquillo Jr. said through a spokesman yesterday he “gave the appropriate disposition based on the facts presented to him at the time.”

Those facts included an International House of Pancakes manager telling Peabody police a profanity-spewing Bishop “was acting like a crazy person.”

Ronquillo continued the case without a finding for six months, after which the charges of assault and battery and disorderly conduct were broomed from her criminal record.

more here

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1233648

Even though I very much doubt anger management classes would have changed this woman, what exactly was wrong with ordering her to go attend these classes? Again she got a slap on the wrist.
Since there never appeared to be any consquences to her actions, I guess the outcome isn't all that surprising.

IMO, it's very similar to the reason the Anthonys have. They lost a son and they didn't want to lose a daughter too.

Or they were afraid of retribution.

Dungeons and Dragons? :rolleyes:

Rock and Roll is responsible for deaths too. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I’m not sure I understand your eyerolls.
I don’t think any speculation at this point in time should be rejected out-of-hand. I think the police already did enough rejecting of evidence.
Far fetched? Sure. But more bizarre theories have been used in court. Like the Twinkie defense.
Or David Burkowitz’s neighbor’s talking dog.
How ‘bout the Beatles White Album? That was pretty rock and roll, yet it didn’t stop Vincent Bugliosi from using it as a motive for murder. Just sayin’ that's all.

I don’t think any speculation at this point in time should be rejected out-of-hand. I think the police already did enough rejecting of evidence.
Far fetched? Sure. But more bizarre theories have been used in court. Like the Twinkie defense.
Or David Burkowitz’s neighbor’s talking dog.
How ‘bout the Beatles White Album? That was pretty rock and roll, yet it didn’t stop Vincent Bugliosi from using it as a motive for murder. Just sayin’ that's all.

This case is so weird, I wouldn't be surprised if her lawyers put forth an insanity defense alleging that she thought the whole thing was just part of a role-playing game. Remember that when she was arrested, she said, "There's no way", and "they're still alive" ?

Get ready for an insanity defense. I can smell it coming. Who knows how deeply she and her husband were into the D&D scene, where players sometimes "act out" their fantasies in real life.

They may attempt an insanity defense, but her ability to function (with student's witnessing this on a daily basis), will not allow that defense to work. I don't know how long it's been since Alabama has put a female to death, but this woman deserves the sentence.

The insanity defence will never work for this woman. This was premeditated murder. The fact that she went to the shooting range weeks before, the fact that she carried the gun with her loaded into the school the fact that she carried enough ammo to reload proves she planned this.

They may attempt an insanity defense, but her ability to function (with student's witnessing this on a daily basis), will not allow that defense to work. I don't know how long it's been since Alabama has put a female to death, but this woman deserves the sentence.

Personally, I am against the insanity defense. Insanity shouldn't be get out of jail free card. If a person committed a crime but is found "insane," I strongly believe there should be "guilty but insane" verdict upon which the insane person should be send to the place with other criminally insane, and not let out to commit more crimes.
That said, I agree with you that at least in theory her claiming insanity doesn't go well with her ability to keep a job, write scientific manuscripts and apply for grants.
As far as I understand, she was not diagnosed with anything or taking any medications. Compare her to Andrea Yates that was under treatment long before she drowned her kids.
Of course with multiple witnesses to her actions, what other defense is open to her? So I agree with the others that her lawyer will most likely try use that line of defense. I just hope it doesn't work.

Personally, I am against the insanity defense. Insanity shouldn't be get out of jail free card. If a person committed a crime but is found "insane," I strongly believe there should be "guilty but insane" verdict upon which the insane person should be send to the place with other criminally insane, and not let out to commit more crimes.
That said, I agree with you that at least in theory her claiming insanity doesn't go well with her ability to keep a job, write scientific manuscripts and apply for grants.
As far as I understand, she was not diagnosed with anything or taking any medications. Compare her to Andrea Yates that was under treatment long before she drowned her kids.
Of course with multiple witnesses to her actions, what other defense is open to her? So I agree with the others that her lawyer will most likely try use that line of defense. I just hope it doesn't work.

Hi, JJenny. I think that there are situations in which defendants are too insane to stand trial, but in a homicide case, where there is no statute of limitations, such a ruling could only postpone a trial while it leaves the culprit in the hellhole of a public institution. Insanity defenses very, very, very rarely gain traction and I would imagine that in a barbaric triple murder like this, no Alabama jury or judge would be sympathetic to such a plea. You state some of the reasons very well.

Reading about the victims and their survivors is heartbreaking.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back