GUILTY AL - Three dead, 3 injured in shooting at UAH, Amy Bishop charged

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well, this one wasn't too hard to predict!

http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/lawyer-prof-accused-in-311586.html

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. — The lawyer for an Alabama college professor accused of killing three colleagues during a faculty meeting said Thursday he believes the teacher is insane, and that she says she can't remember the shootings.

Amy Bishop, who has a doctorate from Harvard University and has taught at the University of Alabama in Huntsville since 2003, has severe mental problems that appear to be paranoid schizophrenia, said Roy W. Miller, her court-appointed attorney.

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. — The lawyer for an Alabama college professor accused of killing three colleagues during a faculty meeting said Thursday he believes the teacher is insane, and that she says she can't remember the shootings.

Amy Bishop, who has a doctorate from Harvard University and has taught at the University of Alabama in Huntsville since 2003, has severe mental problems that appear to be paranoid schizophrenia, said Roy W. Miller, her court-appointed attorney.

But of course she can't remember it.
What else has he got? He can't very well argue she didn't do it, since people witnessed it. Apparently, she could work, teach, apply and get grants, invent some incubator, write manuscripts, get a gun from somewhere, go to the range and practice shooting, but now she can't remember it because, don't you know, she is insane.
:rolleyes:

But of course she can't remember it.
What else has he got? He can't very well argue she didn't do it, since people witnessed it. Apparently, she could work, teach, apply and get grants, invent some incubator, write manuscripts, get a gun from somewhere, go to the range and practice shooting, but now she can't remember it because, don't you know, she is insane.
:rolleyes:

Not to mention that according to witnesses, she methodically went about shooting each person in the head with a 9mm pistol at point blank range and killing them instantly. Who knows what condition the two critically wounded victims will be in when they finally get out of the hospital, if they ever do.
This was a carefully planned massacre, and I certainly hope no jury will be hoodwinked into an insanity verdict.

This woman is a neuroscientist, and one would suppose she knows a lot about the human mind. She wouldn't be the first defendant to fake insanity in order to escape a death sentence, nor would she be the last. The fact that her lawyer is out there already speculating on a diagnosis is troubling, and inappropriate in my view. He spent three hours talking to her the other day, and I wonder if the outline of the defense strategy has already been drawn up.

Bold mine.

Interesting how she claims to not remember the shootings she did, but when she wants something, she can claim that, "I AM DR. AMY BISHOP!" :furious:

Sorry, but they aren't going to get an insanity plea to fly...she knew enough to throw the gun in a garbage can. Shows knowledge of right and wrong.

Bold mine.

Interesting how she claims to not remember the shootings she did, but when she wants something, she can claim that, "I AM DR. AMY BISHOP!" :furious:

Sorry, but they aren't going to get an insanity plea to fly...she knew enough to throw the gun in a garbage can. Shows knowledge of right and wrong.

I believe she is very smart. She knew how to get out of killing her brother. I believe that she put a lot of thought into killing her co workers and into her defense. Does someone that is really insane take the time to go to a shooting range and target practice? There is something wrong with her but it very well may be just plain meaness.

Or they were afraid of retribution.

I’m not sure I understand your eyerolls.
I don’t think any speculation at this point in time should be rejected out-of-hand. I think the police already did enough rejecting of evidence.
Far fetched? Sure. But more bizarre theories have been used in court. Like the Twinkie defense.
Or David Burkowitz’s neighbor’s talking dog.
How ‘bout the Beatles White Album? That was pretty rock and roll, yet it didn’t stop Vincent Bugliosi from using it as a motive for murder. Just sayin’ that's all.

D&D is a game, that's all. It's about mystical times and historical folklore. If this woman saw something in a D&D game that made her shoot those people it wasn't D&D it was her. She might have seen something in a quilt she was sewing to make her do the same thing. I don't think she deserves to use the insanity defense but she is insane. (does that make sense?)

Vincent Bugliosi didn't use Helter Skelter, he told the jury about Manson's interpretation of Helter Skelter. Somehow Manson took a song (Revolution #9) and twisted it to work for his own sick ideals. If hadn't been that it could've been a Pat Boone album. The song Helter Skelter is about an amusement park ride and Manson twisted it any which way.

These things aren't responsible for people's violent actions, they are. If someone is a violent individual it doesn't matter what they see or hear, they will still be violent.

The vast majority of D&D players and rock and roll listeners never harm a single person. Football is a violent sport but the majority of it's players can leave that violence on the field. Blaming anything but people for their actions is a silly concept IMO.

BBM

This defense is never going to work although that is the only defense the defense team can muster in this case.

Paranoid schizophrenia is not a mental defect rising to the judicial standards of being criminally insane

We see schizophrenics and sociopaths go to trial quite often and they are found guilty of their crimes.

Her court appointed attorney? Surely this woman will have a dream team with all of her prestige. I cant fathom her having a public defender as her attorney. Frankly i think any attorney who has to represent this narcissistic woman will have more than they can handle with her barking out orders and demands.

Imo, she is very dangerous no doubt but highly intelligent. All this "I don't remember":innocent: is convenient hogwash imo.

imo

D&D is a game, that's all. It's about mystical times and historical folklore. If this woman saw something in a D&D game that made her shoot those people it wasn't D&D it was her. She might have seen something in a quilt she was sewing to make her do the same thing. I don't think she deserves to use the insanity defense but she is insane. (does that make sense?)

Vincent Bugliosi didn't use Helter Skelter, he told the jury about Manson's interpretation of Helter Skelter. Somehow Manson took a song (Revolution #9) and twisted it to work for his own sick ideals. If hadn't been that it could've been a Pat Boone album. The song Helter Skelter is about an amusement park ride and Manson twisted it any which way.

These things aren't responsible for people's violent actions, they are. If someone is a violent individual it doesn't matter what they see or hear, they will still be violent.

The vast majority of D&D players and rock and roll listeners never harm a single person. Football is a violent sport but the majority of it's players can leave that violence on the field. Blaming anything but people for their actions is a silly concept IMO.

It may be a silly concept but it has been used in defenses before.

Not to mention that according to witnesses, she methodically went about shooting each person in the head with a 9mm pistol at point blank range and killing them instantly. Who knows what condition the two critically wounded victims will be in when they finally get out of the hospital, if they ever do.
This was a carefully planned massacre, and I certainly hope no jury will be hoodwinked into an insanity verdict.

This woman is a neuroscientist, and one would suppose she knows a lot about the human mind. She wouldn't be the first defendant to fake insanity in order to escape a death sentence, nor would she be the last. The fact that her lawyer is out there already speculating on a diagnosis is troubling, and inappropriate in my view. He spent three hours talking to her the other day, and I wonder if the outline of the defense strategy has already been drawn up.

We all knew what was coming.
Her lawyer can not seriously argue she didn't do it, so what other defense is available to him? As for her, she is a neuroscientist, so she would know a lot more of how the brain works, as opposed to most other defendants. I think she could have been preparing for this defense before she even did anything.
If you ask me, her computers should be confiscated and investigated, to see what kind of searches she was doing.

I believe she is very smart. She knew how to get out of killing her brother. I believe that she put a lot of thought into killing her co workers and into her defense. Does someone that is really insane take the time to go to a shooting range and target practice? There is something wrong with her but it very well may be just plain meaness.

(bolded by me)

Her comments when she was arrested ("there's no way"..."they're still alive") were the first public step in her pre-planned defense strategy. They're going to go with the story that she has no memory of the shooting whatsoever. Total amnesia.

The reality is that she was denied job tenure, so the people she deemed responsible were to be denied LIFE tenure. They were going to get rid of her, so she got rid of them, permanently.

Just my opinion...

I think she's just meaner than a junkyard dog....she also didn't "remember" putting on a coat when she ran from the house after killing her brother. When convenient, the can't "remember"....

To me, talk of an insanity plea is simply a naked acknowledgement that the defense doesn't have anything at all. Now I'm just waiting for "Dr. Amy Bishop" to fire her lawyers and attempt to defend herself.

4-page article by NY Times....quite a bit I've never read before - such as Amy Bishop had been to the gun range more than once (only once w/ her husband)

Fury Just Beneath the Surface

Not long after Amy Bishop was identified as the professor who had been arrested in the shooting of six faculty members at the University of Alabama in Huntsville on Feb. 12, the campus police received a series of reports even stranger than the shooting itself.

Several people with connections to the university’s biology department warned that Dr. Bishop, a neuroscientist with a Harvard Ph.D., might have booby-trapped the science building with some sort of “herpes bomb,” police officials said, designed to spread the dangerous virus.

Only people who had worked with Dr. Bishop would know that she had done work with the herpes virus as a post-doctoral student and had talked about how it could cause encephalitis. She had also written an unpublished novel in which a herpes-like virus spreads throughout the world, causing pregnant women to miscarry.

By the time of the reports, the police had already swept every room of the science building, finding nothing but a 9-millimeter handgun in the second-floor restroom.

But the anxious warnings reflected the fears of those who know Dr. Bishop that she could go to great lengths to retaliate against those she felt had wronged her.

Over the years, Dr. Bishop had shown evidence that the smallest of slights could set off a disproportionate and occasionally violent reaction, according to numerous interviews with colleagues and others who know her. Her life seemed to veer wildly between moments of cold fury and scientific brilliance, between rage at perceived slights and empathy for her students.

Increasingly expressing concern about her family’s finances, Dr. Bishop hired a lawyer, her husband said, and filed a discrimination complaint against the university. He said she also began going to a firing range. In the weeks leading up to the shooting, he told reporters, he had gone with her to the range once. He said she claimed to have borrowed the gun she used.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/21/us/21bishop.html?pagewanted=1

I think little miss genius believes she can use the insanity defense and get away with it. However, I believe the insanity defense applies only to spur of the moment stuff. (like a husband coming home to his wife in bed with another man and shooting both of them) The insanity defense cannot be used on pre-meditated crimes.

Link

Thus, analogously, while a state would be forbidden from punishing a person merely for being mentally ill, it would not be barred by Robinson or Powell from punishing a mentally ill person who committed a crime, and whose only defense is that the impulse to commit it was “irresistible.”

IIRC, that means a situation like I used before about the husband coming home to his wife cheating on him.

Link

A defendant may be found not guilty by reason of insanity if "at the time of committing the act, he was laboring under such a defect of reason from disease of the mind as not to know the nature and quality of the act he was doing, or if he did know it, that he did not know what he was doing was wrong." (emphasis added) This test is also commonly referred to as the "right/wrong" test.

Although cases invoking the insanity defense often receive much media attention, the defense is actually not raised very often. Virtually all studies conclude that the insanity defense is raised in less than 1 percent of felony cases, and is successful in only a fraction of those1. The vast majority of those that are successful are the result of a plea agreement in which the prosecution and the defense agree to a not guilty by reason of insanity (NGRI) plea.

A major 1991 eight-state study commissioned by the National Institute of Mental Health found that less than 1 percent of county court cases involved the insanity defense, and that of those, only around one in four was successful. Ninety percent of the insanity defendants had been diagnosed with a mental illness. About half of the cases had been indicted for violent crimes; fifteen percent were murder cases.2

Another Link

Reports have mounted since the Feb. 12 shooting that Bishop had a violent past, though her husband has insisted she never had any mental problems.

Well, that's not gonna help her and neither is this;

"She was a loving mother," he said. "She had a normal temper. The neighbors might think they are hearing her yell at the kids, but she was yelling for the kids. We had a huge house in both [Massachusetts and Alabama]. Come on guys, get a grip."

The couple met nearly two decades ago as undergraduates at Northeastern University.

Anderson denied his wife had psychological problems and said of their relationship, "It's a pretty good basic marriage: four kids, a house and two jobs," said Anderson. "Work kept us together."

This guy is all over the place! He's now telling us that Bishop knows what she did and is "very sorry for it".
I don't have much sympathy for the "lady", but really, she should get herself a different lawyer, ASAP!

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/02/19/alabama.shooting.lawyer/index.html

(CNN) -- The defense attorney appointed to represent an Alabama professor accused of shooting her colleagues said Friday he regrets describing her as "wacko."

But at a news conference, Roy Miller said "something's wrong with this lady."

He also said his client, Amy Bishop, is "aware of what she's done and she's very sorry for it."

Bishop is under suicide watch in jail, Miller said.

In an interview Thursday with CNN affiliate WHNT after visiting Bishop, Miller said, "I just think the case speaks for itself." He added, "I think she's wacko."

At Friday's news conference, he referred to that remark.

"Good lord, y'all," Miller said. "Listen, I went overboard with that. When I talk to y'all I make statements ... I wish I hadn't have made. And probably that's one of them."

He added that he was trying to imply that the facts of the case "speak for themselves."

Bishop told him she does not remember the incident, Miller said.

But now, "she knows she's killed some folks, I'm sure."

:confused:

If Amy Bishop has any last vestige of sense, she will realize that being incarcerated in an Alabama institution for the criminally insane (and then only until she is fit, if ever, to be tried) is a worse possibility than life imprisonment.

If Amy Bishop has any last vestige of sense, she will realize that being incarcerated in an Alabama institution for the criminally insane (and then only until she is fit, if ever, to be tried) is a worse possibility than life imprisonment.

I don't think she is legally criminally insane and often times people like Bishop cannot be treated. They are what they are.

Bishop seems to have no concept of what it means to possess a conscience. She seems to easily think that eradicating her perceived adversaries is justified. That is not MI but more in line of a schizo or sociopath. We unfortunately see some of these people become murder defendants yet they are not ruled legally insane under judicial standards.

I think Bishop is crazy like a fox. She knows that she has used the defense of "I don't remember" and it worked for her in the past but this time she will not get away with it. There is no way she will be declared MI. She led a productive life both in her professional and personal relationships. She knew exactly what she was doing that day, IMO. She planned to mow them all down. She knew to get rid of the murder weapon.

She needs to be given LWOP or the DP so that the public at large is no longer in danger of her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back