Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But they can't know which messages may have relevant info. He may have messaged his wife about the incident several times and revealed important info.

Sure they can. If there's a text to his wife about relevant happenings on the set, they can read that. If there are texts To his wife not relevant to the case, they cant download them.

Wouldn't they have to read all the texts to his wife, @Betty P , to know which are the relevant ones? They don't have to download or document into evidence any personal texts, emails or pictures, but IMO they do have to examine all of them in order to detect which ones discuss anything relevant to the case.

IMO anything on Alec's phone, whether texts, emails, photos or documents, should be off-limits if they were prior to his involvement with Rust. But from the point when he got involved in that project and on, I would think should be analyzed. Even to clarify from the start what his role as producer involved, which is relevant to if he hired an inexperienced armorer or not. If he's innocent of any responsibility, then his phone could be exculpatory for him.

Jmo

Sure they can. If there's a text to his wife about relevant happenings on the set, they can read that. If there are texts To his wife not relevant to the case, they cant download them.

Didn't Kobe Bryant's wife recently sue LA Sheriffs officeOr other LE for officers sharing photos of the dead bodies of her husband and daughter?

A well known celebrity like AB can easily be taken ad antage of by members of LE, Etc. If they start sharing personal photos, texts, contact info, etc. Celebrities have a right to privacy like any one else.
Right, they should not be able to download anything that wasn't 'Rust' related.

But I thought his attorney was saying that none of his messages to his wife should be able to be looked at by LE. That is what I took away from the statements. I will have to look again.

Last edited:
Detectives still seek Alec Baldwin's cellphone in 'Rust' shooting investigation

In the eight-page Dec. 16 affidavit in support of the search warrant, Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office Det. Alexandria Hancock said she was interested in reviewing Baldwin’s text messages, emails, contacts, browser history, private messages on social media, as well as his recent call list. Investigators also requested access to digital images, deleted digital images, passwords and any global positioning system (GPS) data from the phone.

In the affidavit for the search warrant, Hancock wrote that she had “requested Alec’s phone from him, as well as his attorney, and was instructed to acquire a warrant.”

The detective wrote that there were “several emails and text messages sent and received” regarding the production that she wanted to inspect. Hancock noted that any information obtained that was unrelated to the “Rust” shooting investigation would be “sealed and later destroyed.”

I think it's possible that the reason Alec Baldwin hasn't turned over his phone yet is because he did delete incriminating text's from it and doesn't want LE to know that.

Forensic examination of his phone could reveal deletions connected to the death of Halyna Hutchins and that wouldn't be good for him. JMO.
It’s all still on the hard drive.
Maybe there’s some husband/wife sexting that they are embarrassed to share with LE.

Detectives still seek Alec Baldwin's cellphone in 'Rust' shooting investigation

In the eight-page Dec. 16 affidavit in support of the search warrant, Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office Det. Alexandria Hancock said she was interested in reviewing Baldwin’s text messages, emails, contacts, browser history, private messages on social media, as well as his recent call list. Investigators also requested access to digital images, deleted digital images, passwords and any global positioning system (GPS) data from the phone.

In the affidavit for the search warrant, Hancock wrote that she had “requested Alec’s phone from him, as well as his attorney, and was instructed to acquire a warrant.”

The detective wrote that there were “several emails and text messages sent and received” regarding the production that she wanted to inspect. Hancock noted that any information obtained that was unrelated to the “Rust” shooting investigation would be “sealed and later destroyed.”

No offense to LE in general, but if I were a celebrity, I would NOT trust that to happen. Cell phones & data are new territory to the criminal justice system. There's still a lot of revision that needs to happen to help them access important information while protecting privacy rights.

JMO, and this is my opinion only, I'm guessing there has been some texting between Baldwin and his wife. No way would I trust LE to keep that information private. That's not going to happen, no matter what they promise.

There were many eye witnesses to the shooting and events leading up to the poor management of the guns to be used. If police are doing a thorough investigation, they're not going to find anything helpful in Baldwin's texts. They should be able to build a case on their own. IIRC, they were called very soon after the accident and arrived quickly with other first responders. Doubtful there was time to tamper with anything. As tragic as it was, it was a fairly simple and straightforward series of events and mistakes.

JMO

ETA: From what I understand, LE wants to download everything to LE hard drives, then sort through it. IANAL, that's not the way search warrants work for your home or car, etc.

Last edited:
No offense to LE in general, but if I were a celebrity, I would NOT trust that to happen. Cell phones & data are new territory to the criminal justice system. There's still a lot of revision that needs to happen to help them access important information while protecting privacy rights.

JMO, and this is my opinion only, I'm guessing there has been some texting between Baldwin and his wife. No way would I trust LE to keep that information private. That's not going to happen, no matter what they promise.

There were many eye witnesses to the shooting and events leading up to the poor management of the guns to be used. If police are doing a thorough investigation, they're not going to find anything helpful in Baldwin's texts. They should be able to build a case on their own. IIRC, they were called very soon after the accident and arrived quickly with other first responders. Doubtful there was time to tamper with anything. As tragic as it was, it was a fairly simple and straightforward series of events and mistakes.

JMO

I agree. I think Alec is right about having a Search Warrant served properly in 2 States and not wanting LE to have access to everything.

Last edited:
‘Rust’ Armorer Sues Ammo Supplier Over Live Rounds That Killed Cinematographer Halnya Hutchins

“Defendants prepared dummy ammunition cartridge boxes from surplus ammunition stockpiles that comprised of both dummy and live ammunition,” the explosive 22-page suit from lawyers Jason Bowles and Todd J. Bullion adds.

Detailing how apparent negligence by Kenney supposedly mixed up the live and dummy rounds on the already gun discharged plagued film, Wednesday’s suit implicitly carries forward the sabotage theory that Gutierrez Reed’s attorneys have been pushing for months.

‘Rust’ Armorer Sues Ammo Supplier Over Live Rounds That Killed Halnya Hutchins – Deadline

‘Rust’ Armorer Sues Ammunition Supplier for Mixing Live and Dummy Rounds
Hannah Gutierrez Reed filed the suit in New Mexico under the state’s unfair trade practices law. In the complaint, her attorneys spelled out her version of the events of Oct. 21, when actor Alec Baldwin fired a shot that killed Halyna Hutchins and wounded director Joel Souza.

This link has the 24 page complaint at the end for those who want to read it.

'Rust' Armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed Sues Ammunition Supplier - Variety

‘Rust’ Armorer Sues Production’s Ammo Supplier, Claims She Could Have Prevented Fatal Accident If Allowed in Rehearsal

upload_2022-1-12_20-15-30.png

Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, the armorer on set of “Rust,” is suing the film’s ammo supplier, Seth Kenney and PDQ Arm and Prop, while further claiming that she could have prevented the fatal accident that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins if she was allowed in to the rehearsal space.

Gutierrez-Reed in her lawsuit, filed Wednesday by her attorney Jason Bowles in New Mexico district court, alleged that he supplied “Rust” with a mix of live rounds and dummy rounds that led to the accident on set. She also suggests that Kenney had access to the set and knew the code to the gun safe. She’s seeking a jury trial.

“Defendants distributed boxes of ammunition purporting to contain dummy rounds, but which contained a mix of dummy and live ammunition to the Rust production,” the lawsuit reads. “Hannah and the entire ‘Rust’ movie crew relied on the Defendants’ misrepresentation that they provided only dummy ammunition. In so doing, Defendants created a dangerous condition on the movie set, unbeknownst to Hannah Gutierrez Reed, which caused a foreseeable risk of injury to numerous people.”

And Gutierrez-Reed also pointed some blame at Alec Baldwin and assistant director Dave Halls without naming them in the suit, saying that she was not able to provide proper training for Baldwin to practice the cross draw with the weapon.

Had Hannah been called back in, she would have re-inspected the weapon, and every round again, and instructed Baldwin on safe gun practice with the cross draw, as was her standard practice on set,” the suit reads. “Hannah would never have let Baldwin point the weapon at Halyna, as part of standard safe
gun practices. Apparently, no one inside the Church stopped Baldwin from doing so, including AD Halls.”

ME:

Who was sopose to do her job for her and call her back in? This is just an excuse, it was her responsibility to go in and do her job.

‘Rust’ Armorer Sues Ammunition Supplier for Mixing Live and Dummy Rounds

This link has the 24 page complaint at the end for those who want to read it.

'Rust' Armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed Sues Ammunition Supplier - Variety

I don't see how this helps HG. Except to deflect blame. But seriously? These are weapons.

I have seen my husband double check, triple check, quadruple check, on and on with his friends. They check the ammo, even when it comes from a box! To make sure it is correct.

So, it just furthers the narrative that HG is incompetent as an armorer.

I don't see how this helps HG. Except to deflect blame. But seriously? These are weapons.

I have seen my husband double check, triple check, quadruple check, on and on with his friends. They check the ammo, even when it comes from a box! To make sure it is correct.

So, it just furthers the narrative that HG is incompetent as an armorer.
In the complaint HGR claims she checked all six rounds that she loaded into the gun and they were all dummy rounds.

She doesn't explain how a live round got into the gun and who put it there. JMO.

In the complaint HGR claims she checked all six rounds that she loaded into the gun and they were all dummy rounds.

She doesn't explain how a live round got into the gun and who put it there. JMO.

So, what is the basis of the lawsuit? She says she checked the bullets? They were all dummy rounds? But somehow, a magical live round gets in the gun, after she had checked it, therefore it is the fault of the dummy bullet provider?

This, from a woman who leaves weapons laying around like they are rubber ducks?

"I put the gun on the cart, loaded with dummies and went to lunch". HG.

"I went to the cart, and picked up the gun". DH.

"I was given the gun, told it had "dummy" rounds" AB.

So, they blame a guy who wasn't even there?

For Alec Baldwin’s gun, Hannah loaded 4 dummy rounds with holes in them from her pants pocket, a 5th dummy round from the box with a hole in it and attempted to load a 6th dummy round without a hole in it from the box but it would not go into the chamber, and she thought the chamber might need to be cleaned. Hannah remembers shaking the 6th round to ensure herself that it was a dummy round.

The 6th round didn't have a hole in it like all of the others. Why? Maybe because it was a live round and HGR didn't shake it like she claims. JMO.

Link to complaint below.

DocumentCloud

So, what is the basis of the lawsuit? She says she checked the bullets? They were all dummy rounds? But somehow, a magical live round gets in the gun, after she had checked it, therefore it is the fault of the dummy bullet provider?

This, from a woman who leaves weapons laying around like they are rubber ducks?

"I put the gun on the cart, loaded with dummies and went to lunch". HG.

"I went to the cart, and picked up the gun". DH.

"I was given the gun, told it had "dummy" rounds" AB.

So, they blame a guy who wasn't even there?
Yep, HGR is blaming the ammunition supplier who wasn't even there. His alleged motive is because HGR was too harsh with Sarah the prop manager after she fired a blank into her foot. Pretty weak motive IMO.

The 6th round didn't have a hole in it like all of the others. Why? Maybe because it was a live round and HGR didn't shake it like she claims. JMO.

Link to complaint below.

DocumentCloud

I just read the entire document, and it is full of blame, deflection and barely disguised innuendoes. Obviously, none of these folks are friends any longer.

But, if the information is correct, HG, states she had a problem loading the round into the cylinder. At that point, most people familiar with guns, would use a different bullet. Or, clean the gun. Double check the ammo, not just jam it in there.

If HG says she was responsible...but wants to blame everyone from Sarah, to Haylana, have at it. In the end, it just makes her seem even more incompetent.

And, my own personal opinion is that she is not at fault at all.

AB had the gun, and shot someone.

Link to complaint below.

DocumentCloud
Yep. It would appear she put a lot of effort to get a real bullet into the gun. The mind boggles. If she saw it had no hole, why did she persisted on getting it loaded even after it didn't want to go in?

I just read the entire document, and it is full of blame, deflection and barely disguised innuendoes. Obviously, none of these folks are friends any longer.

But, if the information is correct, HG, states she had a problem loading the round into the cylinder. At that point, most people familiar with guns, would use a different bullet. Or, clean the gun. Double check the ammo, not just jam it in there.

If HG says she was responsible...but wants to blame everyone from Sarah, to Haylana, have at it. In the end, it just makes her seem even more incompetent.

And, my own personal opinion is that she is not at fault at all.

AB had the gun, and shot someone.
How in the world she is not at fault at well when it's her job to make sure guns she is giving to actors are safe to use?

I said this early on, the only way she can get around it is to claim live bullets were in a dummy box. She has to go that route because otherwise she knows she is responsible for loading, checking it and being with the weapon at ALL times. Including if she goes to the restroom. Either she carries it with her or locks it up until she returns. She had already reported the gun was on the tray during the lunch break so she implicated herself then.

How does her attorney plan on proving that the box was improperly labeled? Even so she should have been able to detect the bullets were not dummies when she loaded it. Did they lock her out of the church and demand that she stay away?

This doesn’t excuse AB but her story is pure fabrication.

She admits she loaded all six rounds into the gun. She admits she loaded a round without a hole into the gun even though it didn't want to go in. The one without the hole was presumably the live round and not a dummy round, since the rest of them had holes, signifying dummy rounds.
She is the one who loaded the gun and provided it. How would she stop the shooting if she stayed on the set when she loaded the gun to begin with, and put a lot of effort to load it with a round that had no hole in it?
She knew the round had no hole, she loaded it anyway. To think she would have prevented something is ludicrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!