Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alec Baldwin ignored 'Rust' armorer's request to attend 'cross draw training' just days before the shooting, lawsuit says

The actor Alec Baldwin ignored a request to attend "cross draw training" just days before he fatally shot a cinematographer on the set of "Rust," according to a new lawsuit filed by the film's armorer.

The armorer, 24-year-old Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, filed a lawsuit Wednesday against the film's ammo supplier, alleging the company's owner had mixed live ammunition with dummy rounds before providing it to the film crew.

The lawsuit said Gutierrez-Reed asked Baldwin to schedule the training on October 15, less than a week before the fatal shooting, but she never heard back from the actor.

Gutierrez-Reed's lawsuit said she was not inside the mock church when Baldwin shot Hutchins on the afternoon of October 21, because she believed that no gun-related rehearsing was underway. She also knew that the film set's COVID-19 protocols advised against large numbers of people crowding inside an enclosed space, the lawsuit said.
c9eca47617327e5231585ccb72f7ac8f

The lawsuit added that no one called Gutierrez-Reed back into the church when Baldwin began rehearsing the scene, which involved a cross draw, even though her presence was required for any gun-related filming or rehearsing.

"Hannah did not see the weapon, nor did she have custody of it for approximately 15 minutes," the lawsuit said.

Inside that 15-minute window was when Baldwin began practicing a "cross-draw," in which he would grab the gun from his shoulder holster with his opposite hand and withdraw it, according to the lawsuit.

Alec Baldwin ignored 'Rust' armorer's request to attend 'cross draw training' just days before the shooting, lawsuit says

The actor Alec Baldwin ignored a request to attend "cross draw training" just days before he fatally shot a cinematographer on the set of "Rust," according to a new lawsuit filed by the film's armorer.

The armorer, 24-year-old Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, filed a lawsuit Wednesday against the film's ammo supplier, alleging the company's owner had mixed live ammunition with dummy rounds before providing it to the film crew.

The lawsuit said Gutierrez-Reed asked Baldwin to schedule the training on October 15, less than a week before the fatal shooting, but she never heard back from the actor.

Gutierrez-Reed's lawsuit said she was not inside the mock church when Baldwin shot Hutchins on the afternoon of October 21, because she believed that no gun-related rehearsing was underway. She also knew that the film set's COVID-19 protocols advised against large numbers of people crowding inside an enclosed space, the lawsuit said.
c9eca47617327e5231585ccb72f7ac8f

The lawsuit added that no one called Gutierrez-Reed back into the church when Baldwin began rehearsing the scene, which involved a cross draw, even though her presence was required for any gun-related filming or rehearsing.

"Hannah did not see the weapon, nor did she have custody of it for approximately 15 minutes," the lawsuit said.

Inside that 15-minute window was when Baldwin began practicing a "cross-draw," in which he would grab the gun from his shoulder holster with his opposite hand and withdraw it, according to the lawsuit.

Did AB unsuccessfully draw the gun with his non-dominant hand and accidentally pull the trigger with his left hand, while aiming at Halyna? Was he ever trained in the 'cross draw' in any other production? It seems to me that this could be an awkward ( and dangerous ) type movement, and one should be trained in performing it. Just sayin.

Did AB unsuccessfully draw the gun with his non-dominant hand and accidentally pull the trigger with his left hand, while aiming at Halyna? Was he ever trained in the 'cross draw' in any other production? It seems to me that this could be an awkward ( and dangerous ) type movement, and one should be trained in performing it. Just sayin.

He says he didn't pull the trigger. I don't know what a "cross draw" is so I don't know if you have to use your left hand when your right handed.

What is a CROSS DRAW?

He says he didn't pull the trigger. I don't know what a "cross draw" is so I don't know if you have to use your left hand when your right handed.

What is a CROSS DRAW?

You're right! Now i am not sure either. I vaguely remember AB during his interview on ABC doing a sort of reenactment of the type of shooting/draw. But, it confuses me also. It did, however look awkward

What is a CROSS DRAW?

Cross draw is wearing two sidearms, with the grips/butt/handle forward.

To fire, your cross your arms and pull the pistol from your right holster with your left hand, and the pistol from your left holster with your right hand.

Yes you can cross-draw just one of the set of sidearms:

This is a champion shooter!

ETA: whoops, another poster points out that AB was using a shoulder holster. Sorry, I've never tried to wear two shoulder holsters. One is OK, you can fin a comfortable enough and convenient enough and yes safe enough adjustment for one shoulder. Thanks, @shotgun09 , for the good video!

Last edited:
From the above mentioned article/ lawsuit:

"Inside that 15-minute window was when Baldwin began practicing a "cross-draw," in which he would grab the gun from his shoulder holster with his opposite hand and withdraw it, according to the lawsuit."

This is what is confusing to me.
And, it's also drawing from a shoulder holster.

From the above mentioned article/ lawsuit:

"Inside that 15-minute window was when Baldwin began practicing a "cross-draw," in which he would grab the gun from his shoulder holster with his opposite hand and withdraw it, according to the lawsuit."

This is what is confusing to me.
And, it's also drawing from a shoulder holster.

Pulling a relatively large weapon from a shoulder holster in a hurry is not particularly conducive to good aim. AB is supposedly right handed, so the weapon would be under his left armpit with the grips facing outward. The act of pulling it out and settling into an aimed shooting posture involves sweeping a large arc. If the aim point was to the right of the crew they could be hit by an early discharge. If the aim point was to the left of the crew they could be hit by the momentum of the weapon carrying the swing to far.

Last edited:
So, according to the lawsuit mentioned he (AB) doesn't comply with any training on the cross draw, and is seen "practicing" the cross draw for 15 minutes by himself prior to the shooting. Is practicing the same as training?
Is practicing without training a violation of safety protocol?

So, according to the lawsuit mentioned he (AB) doesn't comply with any training on the cross draw, and is seen "practicing" the cross draw for 15 minutes by himself prior to the shooting. Is practicing the same as training?
Is practicing without training a violation of safety protocol?

I don't know. This whole situation is a Charlie Foxtrot. I am not sure anyone will be charged. The lawsuit by HG is really just a CYA to create "reasonable doubt" all over for HG.

I still think it makes her look inept and unqualified for her position. Which, could be why there was zero respect for protocol, because there was zero respect for HG.

I agree that all of the major players in this are playing point the finger elsewhere. Such massive dereliction of duty throughout the production. We haven't heard from others though, who were on scene and may have witnessed things we have not heard about. And from what we are given, there is plenty to digest. There's alot of blame to go around surely.

A lawyer for Alec Baldwin said on Thursday that the actor would turn over his cellphone “this week” to authorities investigating his fatal shooting of a cinematographer on the set for the film “Rust,” nearly a month after detectives secured a search warrant for the device.

The pledge came hours after the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office — which is investigating the shooting — had released a statement pointedly noting that the warrant had been obtained on Dec. 16 but that “to date, the cellphone has not been turned over to authorities.”​
Alec Baldwin Will Turn in Phone to Investigators This Week, Lawyer Says

So any day now... :rolleyes:

I agree that all of the major players in this are playing point the finger elsewhere. Such massive dereliction of duty throughout the production.

I find this so maddening.

There has to be blame somewhere, real blame. It is indisputable that Alec's gun held a live round, which discharged and killed Halyna.

Yet, everyone involved declares their innocence and casts blame on someone else. That's human nature, I know. Self-preservation.

Hannah's suit blames Alec for not going to training, and the bosses for not having told her Alec would be pulling the gun, and for not telling her to be in the church. Also she blames the ammo guy; says he must have given her live rounds.

Then in the texts to Hannah, ammo guy blames the A.D for bullying Hannah. Even though Hannah's attitude in the texts was defensive and nasty, "Excuse you?"

Alec blames the A.D for saying "cold gun" and Hannah for not checking the gun, IIRC.

Production blames the camera crew for quitting and therefore leaving them short-handed and in a rush. Camera crew blames production for not providing proper housing and for unsafe conditions.

I'm leaving out some that I can't recall right now, but Alec was also blamed by some for aiming at the camera. And many blame Hannah for leaving ammo on the cart. And the armorer-mentor for failing in her duties. And Hannah having to work two jobs.

The crew is being blamed for target-shooting on break and perhaps having left live rounds somewhere.

Next I expect someone to blame poor Halyna for standing in the wrong spot.

Somewhere in this world of contradiction and “Who, ME?, the truth will prevail.

IMO the blame is primarily on Hannah. Her job was to follow the guns, wherever they may be, with whomever they go, at all times. And in her OWN lawsuit she explains how she had to shove a recalcitrant bullet into the chamber. IMO at that point she should have withdrawn and re-examined the bullet. Also her statement contradicts itself as to whether or not there were ever live bullets on the set. Especially, the cart with the guns should never ever ever have been unattended.

There has to be blame somewhere, real blame. It is indisputable that Alec's gun held a live round, which discharged and killed Halyna.

Yet, everyone involved declares their innocence and casts blame on someone else. That's human nature, I know. Self-preservation.

Hannah's suit blames Alec for not going to training, and the bosses for not having told her Alec would be pulling the gun, and for not telling her to be in the church. Also she blames the ammo guy; says he must have given her live rounds.

Then in the texts to Hannah, ammo guy blames the A.D for bullying Hannah. Even though Hannah's attitude in the texts was defensive and nasty, "Excuse you?"

Alec blames the A.D for saying "cold gun" and Hannah for not checking the gun, IIRC.

Production blames the camera crew for quitting and therefore leaving them short-handed and in a rush. Camera crew blames production for not providing proper housing and for unsafe conditions.

I'm leaving out some that I can't recall right now, but Alec was also blamed by some for aiming at the camera. And many blame Hannah for leaving ammo on the cart. And the armorer-mentor for failing in her duties. And Hannah having to work two jobs.

The crew is being blamed for target-shooting on break and perhaps having left live rounds somewhere.

IMO the blame is primarily on Hannah. Her job was to follow the guns, wherever they may be, with whomever they go, at all times. And in her OWN lawsuit she explains how she had to shove a recalcitrant bullet into the chamber. IMO at that point she should have withdrawn and re-examined the bullet. Also her statement contradicts itself as to whether or not there were ever live bullets on the set. Especially, the cart with the guns should never ever ever have been unattended.

Alec already blamed Halyna. He said she directed him to point the gun at her.

I think that in HGR's dual job responsibility, The Armorer part took secondary importance to "fetch and carry" duties of a Production Assistant. We need to know who brought live ammo to the set, participated in target practice on off time, Who else knew of this, and how far up the food chain were people aware.
I do believe I read somewhere on here that AD Halls was involved with some rehearsal involving the firearms prior to AB's appearance on the set. HGR failed spectacularly, but she was not alone.

Alec already blamed Halyna. He said she directed him to point the gun at her.
I was just coming in to say the same...

"I'm holding the gun where she told me to hold it, which ended up being aimed right below her armpit, was what I was told," Baldwin said.

When asked why he pointed the gun at Hutchins and pulled the trigger when that wasn't in the script, Baldwin said, "I would never point a gun at anyone and then pull the trigger, never."​
Alec Baldwin interview: Actor recalls meeting Halyna Hutchins' husband - CNN

I was just coming in to say the same...

"I'm holding the gun where she told me to hold it, which ended up being aimed right below her armpit, was what I was told," Baldwin said.

When asked why he pointed the gun at Hutchins and pulled the trigger when that wasn't in the script, Baldwin said, "I would never point a gun at anyone and then pull the trigger, never."​
Alec Baldwin interview: Actor recalls meeting Halyna Hutchins' husband - CNN

So he followed her direction in where to point the gun then what?? As soon as he got it in position the gun went off by itself??

She’s now trying to use the dual responsibilities to defend herself but that also incriminates her. She is supposed to be with the gun at all times. If the gun is being used she can’t just claim she was doing her other job so they were on their own. There would be no need for an armorer if that were the case. Nothing overrides the gun duties.

It doesn’t matter if it was just a rehearsal. The rule still applies, she is not to be away from the gun period.

She and AB are individually fabricating truth as it happened. Neither are credible.

‘Rust’ Armorer Sues Production’s Ammo Supplier, Claims She Could Have Prevented Fatal Accident If Allowed in Rehearsal

View attachment 329741

Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, the armorer on set of “Rust,” is suing the film’s ammo supplier, Seth Kenney and PDQ Arm and Prop, while further claiming that she could have prevented the fatal accident that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins if she was allowed in to the rehearsal space.

Gutierrez-Reed in her lawsuit, filed Wednesday by her attorney Jason Bowles in New Mexico district court, alleged that he supplied “Rust” with a mix of live rounds and dummy rounds that led to the accident on set. She also suggests that Kenney had access to the set and knew the code to the gun safe. She’s seeking a jury trial.

“Defendants distributed boxes of ammunition purporting to contain dummy rounds, but which contained a mix of dummy and live ammunition to the Rust production,” the lawsuit reads. “Hannah and the entire ‘Rust’ movie crew relied on the Defendants’ misrepresentation that they provided only dummy ammunition. In so doing, Defendants created a dangerous condition on the movie set, unbeknownst to Hannah Gutierrez Reed, which caused a foreseeable risk of injury to numerous people.”

And Gutierrez-Reed also pointed some blame at Alec Baldwin and assistant director Dave Halls without naming them in the suit, saying that she was not able to provide proper training for Baldwin to practice the cross draw with the weapon.

Had Hannah been called back in, she would have re-inspected the weapon, and every round again, and instructed Baldwin on safe gun practice with the cross draw, as was her standard practice on set,” the suit reads. “Hannah would never have let Baldwin point the weapon at Halyna, as part of standard safe
gun practices. Apparently, no one inside the Church stopped Baldwin from doing so, including AD Halls.”

ME:

Who was sopose to do her job for her and call her back in? This is just an excuse, it was her responsibility to go in and do her job.

... She also suggests that Kenney had access to the set and knew the code to the gun safe. ...

Whoa Whoa Whoa!!! This is brand new. And she "suggests", as in I maybe just made this up??? He either did or did not. She's still trying to escape all consequences for her actions / inactions.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member