Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
“Friends of the couple spoke to PEOPLE in October about the pair's "beautiful partnership."

"[They] supported each others' dreams," said Halyna's friend. He described Matthew and Halyna as having a "rock-solid" relationship.
They would come over, and we all kind of clicked as a group because we always admired their relationship," said Pizzello.

"Matt always was amazingly supportive of her career," he continued. "She was totally devoted to him and their son, but he also made a lot of sacrifices to enable her to do what she was doing."

Rust Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins Being Laid to Rest in Private Funeral: 'We Feel the Silence'

I am so sad thinking about her 9 yr old son. What a tragic turn of events for that young man. I am glad he seems to have such a strong, loving father that will help keep his Mother's memories alive for him.
❤️
❤️
❤️

I am so sad thinking about her 9 yr old son. What a tragic turn of events for that young man. I am glad he seems to have such a strong, loving father that will help keep his Mother's memories alive for him.
❤️
❤️
❤️

It is very sad. They really did seem like a close family. I like her and don’t even know her.

'It's infuriating': Scarlett Johansson, Angelina Jolie and other celebrities react to 'Rust' shooting

Scarlett Johansson

"I’ve handled so many different weapons," said the longtime Marvel star. "I’ve used many rubber guns. There’s no reason not to use a rubber gun. So to me, it just feels like it will forever shift the way we handle that kind of stuff."

Dwayne Johnson

“I can’t speak for anyone else, but I can tell you, without an absence of clarity here, that any movie that we have moving forward with Seven Bucks Productions ... we won’t use real guns at all,” Johnson said. “We’re going to switch over to rubber guns, and we’re going to take care of it in post.”

George Clooney

“Every single time I’m handed a gun on a set … I open it, I show it to the person I’m pointing it to, show it to the crew: every single take, you hand it back to the armorer when you’re done,” Clooney said.

Jonathan Majors

"My heart really just goes out to everybody involved," Majors told USA TODAY. “We shouldn't do it again (use blanks) until we know that we can make it absolutely safe.”

Angelina Jolie

“At this moment, the grief and the tragedy of that accident is quite overwhelming,” Jolie said. “I’ve always been very careful because I’ve had to work with guns a lot. The way I’ve worked or checked when I’m directing, there are certain procedures: You have to take it very seriously.”

ABC’s ‘The Rookie’ Bans “Live” Guns on Set – The Hollywood Reporter

upload_2021-11-20_21-20-58.png
The-Rookie-Nathan-Fillion-ABC-Publicity-H-2021.jpg

"The Rookie"

ABC cop drama The Rookie is banning “live” weapons on its set, effective immediately, following the fatal shooting on the set of Alec Baldwin’s Rust.

Sources say showrunner Alexi Hawley informed ABC executives that production would no longer be using quarter or half loads while filming the Nathan Fillion-led drama.

The series has, over the past two seasons, primarily used CGI to portray muzzle flashes but occasionally used “live” weapons on “big, outside set pieces.” That policy ended Friday as Hawley sent a memo to staff, exclusively obtained by THR, outlining the changes designed to improve the safety on the set of the Entertainment One and ABC Signature series.

upload_2021-11-20_21-19-52.png
the-rookie-590x393.jpg

“As of today, it is now policy on The Rookie that all gunfire on set will be with Air Soft guns with CG muzzle flashes added in post,” Hawley wrote in the memo (read it in full, below). “There will be no more ‘live’ weapons on the show. The safety of our cast and crew is too important. Any risk is too much risk.”

Airsoft guns are effectively BB guns that use a plastic pellet instead of a metal BB. They’re often used on film and TV sets because they look almost identical to other guns.

Last edited:
I think the biggest problem regarding weapons on movie sets is 'industry standards'. From what I can gather the industry (production companies) set the tone for the protocol regarding weapons on sets. To me that's like asking Japanese whaling companies how many whales are in the southern hemisphere.

Since the production company provides the protocols, for many states that is the standard. Some states like New York have lukewarm standards like no shooting weapons at night while other states like Louisiana regulate pyrotechnics but aren't aware of any regulations regarding weapons on movie sets. Here's a link.

Gun safety on movie sets? States mostly follow guidelines set by studios, unions - Chicago Sun-Times (suntimes.com)

By contrast all states have regulations regarding motorcycle helmets except a few outliers that have no laws regarding m/c helmets at all.

I am Canadian and although many Canadians own firearms we are not gun-centric like the US. Most Canadians don't automatically think of checking weapons if they are handed one because they wouldn't have a clue about them. We rely on the experts to educate. And our laws regarding firearms use in film and television reflect that way of thinking. Perhaps some might think it's too much handholding and government interference but Canada has been the location for numerous American productions like Hell on Wheels and The Revenant and regulations were followed so they can't be that onerous.

Guideline No. 39: Firearms | Safety Guidelines for the Film and Television Industry in Ontario | Ministry of Labour (gov.on.ca)

Right now the issue of blame has become a circular firing squad. It's like a Venn diagram where many see that small section in the centre of overlapping circles and only see the initials AB. MOO

I think the biggest problem regarding weapons on movie sets is 'industry standards'. From what I can gather the industry (production companies) set the tone for the protocol regarding weapons on sets. To me that's like asking Japanese whaling companies how many whales are in the southern hemisphere.

Since the production company provides the protocols, for many states that is the standard. Some states like New York have lukewarm standards like no shooting weapons at night while other states like Louisiana regulate pyrotechnics but aren't aware of any regulations regarding weapons on movie sets. Here's a link.

Gun safety on movie sets? States mostly follow guidelines set by studios, unions - Chicago Sun-Times (suntimes.com)

By contrast all states have regulations regarding motorcycle helmets except a few outliers that have no laws regarding m/c helmets at all.

I am Canadian and although many Canadians own firearms we are not gun-centric like the US. Most Canadians don't automatically think of checking weapons if they are handed one because they wouldn't have a clue about them. We rely on the experts to educate. And our laws regarding firearms use in film and television reflect that way of thinking. Perhaps some might think it's too much handholding and government interference but Canada has been the location for numerous American productions like Hell on Wheels and The Revenant and regulations were followed so they can't be that onerous.

Guideline No. 39: Firearms | Safety Guidelines for the Film and Television Industry in Ontario | Ministry of Labour (gov.on.ca)

Right now the issue of blame has become a circular firing squad. It's like a Venn diagram where many see that small section in the centre of overlapping circles and only see the initials AB. MOO
Well, you make a good point about the circular firing squad. Multiple people are responsible for this shooting, IMO the two most responsible are the armorer and the actor who pulled the trigger.

It was supposed to be their big break. Now two 24-year-olds are at the center of the 'Rust' shooting investigation

The two twentysomethings met just eight days before production.

(...)

Kenney also said that he “made the introduction” between Zachry and the “Rust” producers. He said Zachry also served as PDQ’s “firearms representative.”

(...)

On Oct. 16, Zachry accidentally shot herself in the foot with a blank fired from a gun. She was not injured, but the gun “went off right in her hands,” according to a crew member who witnessed the incident at Bonanza Creek Ranch, 13 miles south of Santa Fe. Will Waggoner, Zachry’s lawyer, did not respond to questions about the accidental discharge.

“Happens to everyone, move on,” Kenney texted Gutierrez Reed following the incident.

“It sure doesn’t look good, tho,” Gutierrez Reed responded.

The texts between the two have been viewed by The Times and authenticated by two people close to the situation who are not authorized to speak publicly. In the messages, Kenney urged Gutierrez Reed not to report Zachry’s accidental discharge to the “Rust” production office, and he suggested the armorer had slipped up too.

“Accidents and mistakes happen,” Kenney wrote to Gutierrez Reed. “Accidental discharges are accidents. A mistake is where the Armorer provides a gun and Full Load Ammo to be fired with a horse in the vicinity. Will you tell Production about that?”

“Don’t forget [Zachry]’s your boss. Don’t push it,” continued Kenney.

(...)

Zachry and Gutierrez Reed were not the filmmakers’ first choice, or even their fifth. The Times spoke with more than a dozen people in New Mexico, Los Angeles and Texas who said they’d been approached about prop master and armorer jobs on “Rust” in late August and September.

(...)

“Rust … is in search of a prop master asap. Previous western or armory experience [is] a plus, but not necessary,” the posting said, noting that the position would start that very day.

(...)

With Gutierrez Reed doubling as key prop assistant — an uncommon title that several prop masters said probably connoted that she was second in command in the department — Zachry turned to her fiance’s 19-year-old sister, Nicole Montoya, for additional help.

(...)

As she struggled to understand how a live bullet had ended up in Baldwin’s gun, Zachry described how a new box of .45-caliber Long Colt dummy rounds had arrived on the set that day.

In a written statement, Waggoner, Zachry’s lawyer, said, “As to what Hannah may have found or did not find [regarding the new box of dummy rounds], Hannah is better to answer that question.”

(...)

Quite a bit of new info about props/armour department on Rust in long article at link.

ABC’s ‘The Rookie’ Bans “Live” Guns on Set – The Hollywood Reporter

View attachment 323092
The-Rookie-Nathan-Fillion-ABC-Publicity-H-2021.jpg

"The Rookie"

ABC cop drama The Rookie is banning “live” weapons on its set, effective immediately, following the fatal shooting on the set of Alec Baldwin’s Rust.

Sources say showrunner Alexi Hawley informed ABC executives that production would no longer be using quarter or half loads while filming the Nathan Fillion-led drama.

The series has, over the past two seasons, primarily used CGI to portray muzzle flashes but occasionally used “live” weapons on “big, outside set pieces.” That policy ended Friday as Hawley sent a memo to staff, exclusively obtained by THR, outlining the changes designed to improve the safety on the set of the Entertainment One and ABC Signature series.

View attachment 323091
the-rookie-590x393.jpg

“As of today, it is now policy on The Rookie that all gunfire on set will be with Air Soft guns with CG muzzle flashes added in post,” Hawley wrote in the memo (read it in full, below). “There will be no more ‘live’ weapons on the show. The safety of our cast and crew is too important. Any risk is too much risk.”

Airsoft guns are effectively BB guns that use a plastic pellet instead of a metal BB. They’re often used on film and TV sets because they look almost identical to other guns.

The problem still exists for westerns and older period pieces---there are no air soft guns that look like cowboy times, for example.

It was supposed to be their big break. Now two 24-year-olds are at the center of the 'Rust' shooting investigation

(...)

Kenney also said that he “made the introduction” between Zachry and the “Rust” producers. He said Zachry also served as PDQ’s “firearms representative.”

(...)

On Oct. 16, Zachry accidentally shot herself in the foot with a blank fired from a gun. She was not injured, but the gun “went off right in her hands,” according to a crew member who witnessed the incident at Bonanza Creek Ranch, 13 miles south of Santa Fe. Will Waggoner, Zachry’s lawyer, did not respond to questions about the accidental discharge.

“Happens to everyone, move on,” Kenney texted Gutierrez Reed following the incident.

The texts between the two have been viewed by The Times and authenticated by two people close to the situation who are not authorized to speak publicly. In the messages, Kenney urged Gutierrez Reed not to report Zachry’s accidental discharge to the “Rust” production office, and he suggested the armorer had slipped up too.

“Accidents and mistakes happen,” Kenney wrote to Gutierrez Reed. “Accidental discharges are accidents. A mistake is where the Armorer provides a gun and Full Load Ammo to be fired with a horse in the vicinity. Will you tell Production about that?”

(...)

Zachry and Gutierrez Reed were not the filmmakers’ first choice, or even their fifth. The Times spoke with more than a dozen people in New Mexico, Los Angeles and Texas who said they’d been approached about prop master and armorer jobs on “Rust” in late August and September.

(...)

“Rust … is in search of a prop master asap. Previous western or armory experience [is] a plus, but not necessary,” the posting said, noting that the position would start that very day.

(...)

With Gutierrez Reed doubling as key prop assistant — an uncommon title that several prop masters said probably connoted that she was second in command in the department — Zachry turned to her fiance’s 19-year-old sister, Nicole Montoya, for additional help.

(...)

As she struggled to understand how a live bullet had ended up in Baldwin’s gun, Zachry described how a new box of .45-caliber Long Colt dummy rounds had arrived on the set that day.

In a written statement, Waggoner, Zachry’s lawyer, said, “As to what Hannah may have found or did not find [regarding the new box of dummy rounds], Hannah is better to answer that question.”

(...)

Quite a bit of new info about props/armour department on Rust in long article at link.

Whoa! Wow! What?

That article clearly shows this was a travesty all around. IMO.

I blame everyone except maybe Luper, who at least reported on the accidental discharges before the fatal shot.

That HGR is a piece of work. Who is she to talk back to her mentor? Not that he was much better.

Dysfunction everywhere on that set. IMO the lawsuits and the handcuffs should be liberally applied.

(...)

(...)

... In the messages, Kenney urged Gutierrez Reed not to report Zachry’s accidental discharge to the “Rust” production office, and he suggested the armorer had slipped up too.

(...)

(...)

(...)

(...)

(...)

BBM

Wow. So HGR worked under SZ who worked under SK. And SK told HGR not to report SZ's accidental gun discharge, i.e. don't rock the boat. That is some messed up crap. SK is some "armorer mentor".

What is "Full Load Ammo"? And did that involve yet another (unreported) incident involving HGR?!

JMO

Last edited:
Hilaria Baldwin's Instagram posts raise eyebrows as investigation into 'Rust' shooting continues

There's been more of this kind of thing with her, since this was published (she made a tasteless post on the day of Halyna's funeral).

It's interesting to me that MSM is picking up on this story and relating it to Rust.

I'm not sure that SZ "worked under" SK.

The official chain of command was Propmaster to Armorer. That's how they started this production. Then, they hired a "mentor" for HGR. Then the first propmaster quit and they made HGR the propmaster until they could obtain SZ. At no point in time did they actually put SK on the payroll as anything other than a consultant, which is not the same as being in the chain of command in the crew.

He should not have had the code to the gun box, for example. We don't even know if he at the ranch very much. He was not in the church when the gun was fired. SK cannot be the head armorer, as he is not an armorer, he rents guns and supplies sets with ammo. In that capacity, if it turns out he supplied live ammo, he could be in trouble (as one of the Does).

HGR was only propmaster for about one day according to call sheets, copies of which were obtained by youtubers and at least one media outlet. Then HGR was demoted to assistant propmaster, which is why she says it was impossible for her to be a full time armorer.

I believe we'll find out that SK was a consultant, was not on set every day, etc. He was not their supervisor (people outside the union do not supervise people like SZ).

Hiring two 24-year olds occurred only after whoever made that decision (perhaps the Line Director? perhaps someone else?)

BBM

Wow. So HGR worked under SZ who worked under SK. And SK told HGR not to report SZ's accidental gun discharge, i.e. don't rock the boat. That is some messed up crap. SK is some "armorer mentor".

What is "Full Load Ammo"? And did that involve yet another (unreported) incident involving HGR?!

JMO

No one "worked under" SK. He was not part of the crew, but was hired as a consultant to "mentor" not manage the crew. This happened 3-4 days into the 21 day shoot, when it was decided by someone or several people that she needed more education.

When blanks are made, they are usually ¼ or ½ load of gunpowder (primer). A full load blank would be full primer (identical to an actual 45) but without the lead projectile that is supposed to be fired - it usually has a "wad" of cloth or is empty (crimped). If they were using Full Load Blanks, the bang would have been very loud and require ear protection. They'd want to do it in one shot, to avoid ear injury to the actor. I can't see any reason for such a load unless the gun was being shot very close up, in which case a stunt man with ear and eye protection would fire it.

Typically, an armorer is housed within the Props department, under the Propmaster. The director, assistant director, armorer and propmaster have the code to open the gun safe (which is on the prop truck or in the prop area).

SK isn't any of these things. It's not clear he was even on the call sheet for that day (people permitted on set to work). He may have come for just a few days, to tutor HGR. In fact, if they were really using Full Load Blanks, then they may even have been making their own. It's a craft that requires repetition, skill, oversight - and some innate talent. Not everyone has the dexterity/spatial skills to do it properly (I don't).

Apparently the gun that fired the blank (the person handling it was a crew member, they thought it was either empty or had dummies) did not produce significant injury, so I assume it was a half load blank.

Armorer. Hours? Skills?
....HGR was only propmaster for about one day according to call sheets,... Then HGR was demoted to assistant propmaster, which is why she says it was impossible for her to be a full time armorer.
@10ofRods bbm sbm Thx for your post.
Hours Working?
Iirc, Sheriff said 3 guns & 500 rounds of ammo (more or less) were collected on set and taken in evd.
Were those the only guns that were officially supposed to be on set, specified per script? Ditto the ammo?
IOW is that all the armorer needed to keep track of?
How many scenes? (Yes I know a 2 min scene can take two hrs or all day to capture). How much time would armorer actually be working, w guns & ammo out of the safe? No time for any other function during a 21 day period?

Skills, Needed?
What gun-specific skills or experience, does an armorer need for a movie, either gen'ly or like Rust?
Obviously handling administrative procedures, record keeping re tracking guns & ammo.
Distinguish calibers of ammo [& real, dummy, blanks<- seems HGR did not do]
Clear a round jammed in the chamber or magazine? Just an example. A shooter's basic skill, not an advanced task for a gunsmith.

What else?
Does armorer need be a sharpshooter/marksman w a wide array of guns? Does armorer extensively teach/coach actors re shooting & gun handling practices? Imo those would require a certain combo of experience & natural talent. W no factual basis, I sorta, kinda doubt they're needed for ^ that, but would appreciate info from ppl familiar w these issues.
my2ct

Last edited:
Armorer. Hours? Skills?
@10ofRods bbm sbm Thx for your post.
Hours Working?
Iirc, Sheriff said 3 guns & 500 rounds of ammo (more or less) were collected on set and taken in evd.
Were those the only guns that were officially supposed to be on set, specified per script? Ditto the ammo?
IOW is that all the armorer needed to keep track of?
How many scenes? (Yes I know a 2 min scene can take two hrs or all day to capture). How much time would armorer actually be working, w guns & ammo out of the safe? No time for any other function during a 21 day period?

Skills, Needed?
What gun-specific skills or experience, does an armorer need for a movie, either gen'ly or like Rust?
Obviously handling administrative procedures, record keeping re tracking guns & ammo.
Distinguish calibers of ammo [& real, dummy, blanks<- seems HGR did not do]
Clear a round jammed in the chamber or magazine? Just an example. A shooter's basic skill, not an advanced task for a gunsmith.

What else?
Does armorer need be a sharpshooter/marksman w a wide array of guns? Does armorer extensively teach/coach actors re shooting & gun handling practices? Imo those would require a certain combo of experience & natural talent. W no factual basis, I sorta, kinda doubt they're needed for ^ that, but would appreciate info from ppl familiar w these issues.
my2ct

There were 3 different types of guns on set, presumably each having a non-working replica as well as a plastic or rubber replica. There were to be at least one rifle and one shotgun.

The Sheriff said "at least 3 guns and 500 rounds of ammo." They have not said precisely how many.

I don't know how many scenes, but it was a 21 day shoot. The shoot-out occured near the end, and was to take 3-4 days to shoot.

The armorer is supposed to do way more than "keep track." They are not an accountant. They are a firearms expert, in theory. So, they are to be ther e- just like the lighting expert is there and just like the script supervisor is there, in order to respond to changes, reload weapons with blanks (dummies first, during blocking and rehearsal - and during most shooting; blanks are the exception, need to be loaded upon direction). Of course, some productions do cut corners, as this one did.

Administrative skills are assumed, but unfortunately, the degree of care needed for ammunition and working guns is different than that needed for hair and wardrobe, which is what HGR was doing before her one other (month-long; problem-ridden) stint as an armorer. She was young.

Scenes are supposed to be marked so that the armorer is there if a gun is involved.

Rounds do not jam in a revolver, but in any case, they must be checked after 6 shots (before the first chamber comes up again) because it is not realistic OR safe not to do so. So the scenes can't say, "Granda Rust shoots 50 shots from his revolver." He can only shoot six before reloading. There will be a cut (edit) and that will happen. The armorer is to show that AD that the gun is clear and safe. Then the AD shows the actor that no wads or broken brass is in the gun (Brandon Lee's death).

Most armorers are indeed sharpshooters (HGR's dad is judged to be the best sharpshooter on the planet, apparently - even in his 70's). She has said in an interview that she focuses on Colts and on a certain era of Colt revolvers. It's doubtful she could expertly handle all manner of guns in Hollywood, but perhaps her mentor was helping her with the long guns.

Armorer Responsibilities?
...The armorer ... a firearms expert, in theory....Of course, some productions do cut corners, as this one did...
a revolver,... must be checked after 6 shots... So the scenes can't say, "Granda Rust shoots 50 shots from his revolver."
Most armorers are indeed sharpshooters (HGR's dad is judged to be the best sharpshooter....
@10ofRods bbm sbm for focus :) Thanks for your post answering my questions. More complicated than it seemed at first blush. I had not thought about need to check revolvers so frequently.

That made me wonder about gun handling procedures on the set, about -
--- whether actors are educated by amorers about safe gun handling procedures.
--- whether directors routinely override/veto the safe/best practices recommended by armorers or by unions.

Often in TV or movies, actors reach into the back of their waistbands to pull a handgun :eek:o_O:rolleyes: then blast the bad guy. Many youtube vids show results of this insanity, results being entry and/or exit wounds, mostly in the butt.
Jmo, imo, moo.

Rounds do not jam in a revolver, but in any case, they must be checked after 6 shots (before the first chamber comes up again) because it is not realistic OR safe not to do so. So the scenes can't say, "Granda Rust shoots 50 shots from his revolver." He can only shoot six before reloading

With respect, I believe the number in this case is 5, because of the standard practice in single action side-loading revolvers of having an empty chamber under the hammer after loading.

I would suggest that the bystander's description of Zachry's accident (the gun “went off right in her hands,”) is consistent with her violating this practice while loading a gun with blanks. What can happen in these cases is that the hammer slips from the loader's thumb when lowering it from half-*advertiser censored* position and fires the round under the hammer.

This suggestion presumes facts not in evidence: that Zachry was loading a weapon at the time and that the weapon was a single action side-loading revolver. So not a firm conclusion, but something to watch for as accounts dribble out from witnesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member