American doctor in Liberia tests positive for Ebola virus

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Unfortunately there are people who lie! No reason to sidestep it and try to call it anything else, it is a blatant lie.

ETA: In reference to Mr. Sawyer.

I think me question is exactly who lied. The reasons I wonder are as follows.

When we first heard about Mr Sawyer, we were told he collapsed when coming off the plane having started to exhibit symptoms in flight and was immediately taken to hospital and isolated.

It now transpires that he was not put into isolation until 24 hours afterwards and despite being asked several times lied about having been in contact with Ebola according to the Nigerian authorities.

I find the second version odd because if the doctors/authorities were canny enough to ask him "several times" whether he might have been in contact with Ebola (hardly unlikely given where he came from and given he was exhibiting potential symptoms) why would they just take his word for it and leave him on a general ward?

Which makes me wonder whether for whatever reason they simply didn't ask him or he wasn't in a fit state to tell them and they are trying to save face for the fact that they fell down on the job by not isolating him immediately. Something just doesn't feel quite right with the account of his demise.

:moo: Good ol' fashioned containment may likely be upcoming recommendation worldwide into certain countries following the Emergency 2 day (Wed/Thurs) meeting by the WHO tomorrow :moo: e.g. recommendations to avoid non-essential travel restrictions like US already has donehttp://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices For many countries, limiting freedom of travel is unconstitutional and must take the form of recommendations by the WHO.

The member briefing for World Heath Organization (WHO) member states identified on August 5th determined " Among the critical issues are: cross-border infections and travelers; partners reaching the limits of their capacity and ability to respond rapidly, safely, and effectively; and concerns about the socio-economic impact of continued transmission."
http://www.who.int/csr/don/2014_08_06_ebola/en/

CDC chief says Ebola must be contained in Africa
"WASHINGTON 8/7/2014— Stopping the Ebola virus from spreading in Africa is the best way to protect everyone worldwide, U.S. Centers for Disease Control chief Tom Frieden told House members at a hearing Thursday. "We can stop Ebola: We know how to do it," he said. "We have to stop it at the source in Africa. That's the only way to get control." The hearing — unusual because Congress is on August recess — comes on the heels of a highest-level alert Thursday morning .............."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/08/07/house-holds-ebola-hearing/13718603/

I would assume tomorrow the WHO will designate a PHEIC (only one previous under these regs was SARS outbreak in 2007 iirc?)

"The International Health Regulations (2005) (hereinafter "the IHR" or “the Regulations”) are an international agreement that is legally binding on 194 countries (States Parties), including all WHO Member States....
A public health emergency of international concern (PHEIC) is defined as "an extraordinary event which is determined to constitute a public health risk to other States through the international spread of disease and to potentially require a coordinated international response...
since the entry into force of the IHR on 15 June 2007 only one such determination has been made and recommendations issued ....
the Emergency Committee will also provide advice. The temporary recommendations issued by the Director-General are for affected and non-affected States Parties in order to prevent or reduce the international spread of disease and avoid unnecessary interference with international traffic.....
International points of entry, whether by land, sea or air, provide an opportunity to apply health measures to prevent international spread of disease... "

The Emergency Committee will provide its view to the Director General on :
whether the event constitutes a public health emergency of international concern; the temporary recommendations that should be taken by countries on areas including travel, surveillance, clinical management, infection control; the termination of a public health emergency of international concern.

http://www.who.int/ihr/about/10things/en/
http://www.who.int/ihr/procedures/en_ihr_ec_faq.pdf

What's This I Hear About a "Top Secret" Drug to Treat Ebola?

exactly what i said yesterday -- knowledge by scientific and regulatory circles but few others.

thanks so much CNN for another less than accurate headline. the media and their sensationalism -- sheesh!

(lesson: don't believe everything you read)

[h=1]Exclusive: Liberia health system collapsing as Ebola spreads[/h]
http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/...urce=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=309303

[h=1]Liberia And Sierra Leone Seal Off Ebola Epicenters With Troops[/h]
http://www.npr.org/2014/08/07/33863...ign=health&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews

A very scary read, that first one. The second one not much better. But the first one has details which are concerning...like widespread infrastructure collapse, because no one is willing to go to work; 50 Drs for 4 million people; other disease not being treated because of fear of hospitals/Drs/clinics, AND because there are no medical personnel to deal with it (which will completely devastate the medical system); and so on.

Not to mention farmers not bringing food to market, so folks will starve in the cities (not like they're all well fed right now, you know?), airports closing, airlines stopping service - this will impact an economy that relies heavily on tourism - schools not opening, houses of worship closing (which will affect everyone, as a lot of charities operate from churches), and on and on.

Pretty soon, we'll be hearing of bodies being left in the street...oh, wait. That's already happened. Which spread infection and other biohazards like you wouldn't believe. Rats come to eat, and spread their own diseases, one of which is hanta virus, which inhabits urine of rodents...and the emotional toll of watching everyone around you die, or finding out you're going to die a horrific death...

Man oh man, this is scary. This has the potential to be very, very bad...for West Africa as a whole, those counties affected by this virus specifically, and for anyone and everyone who travels.

Not to be crass, but if that happened here - if we lose trucking/transportation ability because farmers won't go to towns, or truckers refuse to cross state lines, or the state closes it's borders to prevent infection...we're not used to going without. We're used to first world issues, like adequate cell service, or how close is the next gas station, or how easily we can run to a pharmacy and get meds, the market to get food...

No, we're not ready for this in any way, shape or form; and we (1st worlders) are not used to going without...and it will not be pretty if that sort of thing happens.

Sigh.

Best-
Herding Cats

So, some of the...less reliable shall we say...sites and newspapers have said that there has been an executive order which allows agents to seize folks with severe respiratory illnesses...based off of, or amended from, the 2003 SARS order that Bush signed.

But I don't know if it's true, so am wondering if any of you all have heard that?

Best-
Herdig Cats

A very scary read, that first one. The second one not much better. But the first one has details which are concerning...like widespread infrastructure collapse, because no one is willing to go to work; 50 Drs for 4 million people; other disease not being treated because of fear of hospitals/Drs/clinics, AND because there are no medical personnel to deal with it (which will completely devastate the medical system); and so on.

Not to mention farmers not bringing food to market, so folks will starve in the cities (not like they're all well fed right now, you know?), airports closing, airlines stopping service - this will impact an economy that relies heavily on tourism - schools not opening, houses of worship closing (which will affect everyone, as a lot of charities operate from churches), and on and on.

Pretty soon, we'll be hearing of bodies being left in the street...oh, wait. That's already happened. Which spread infection and other biohazards like you wouldn't believe. Rats come to eat, and spread their own diseases, one of which is hanta virus, which inhabits urine of rodents...and the emotional toll of watching everyone around you die, or finding out you're going to die a horrific death...

Man oh man, this is scary. This has the potential to be very, very bad...for West Africa as a whole, those counties affected by this virus specifically, and for anyone and everyone who travels.

Not to be crass, but if that happened here - if we lose trucking/transportation ability because farmers won't go to towns, or truckers refuse to cross state lines, or the state closes it's borders to prevent infection...we're not used to going without. We're used to first world issues, like adequate cell service, or how close is the next gas station, or how easily we can run to a pharmacy and get meds, the market to get food...

No, we're not ready for this in any way, shape or form; and we (1st worlders) are not used to going without...and it will not be pretty if that sort of thing happens.

Sigh.

Best-
Herding Cats
Great post!
I am shocked that Y2K was such a big deal and people are poo pooing this. They hear you can't catch it unless you touch their body fluids and they have to be really sick by this point. Do people realize this isn't HIV AIDS? That this virus is in all body fluids, and lives for days on surfaces?
Is no one thinking about toilet seats and door handles and coughing/sneezing onto surfaces?
I might be the one over reacting, but don't we touch other peoples "fluids" every day? (If we are out and about)

Maybe I need to go back to school. Moo

All posts are MOO

Great post!
I am shocked that Y2K was such a big deal and people are poo pooing this. They hear you can't catch it unless you touch their body fluids and they have to be really sick by this point. Do people realize this isn't HIV AIDS? That this virus is in all body fluids, and lives for days on surfaces?
Is no one thinking about toilet seats and door handles and coughing/sneezing onto surfaces?
I might be the one over reacting, but don't we touch other peoples "fluids" every day? (If we are out and about)

Maybe I need to go back to school. Moo

All posts are MOO

ITA. It's not biosafety level 4 virus (the highest level possible) for nothing.

Why is the child not suited up??????? Why is he even there (the child) ???????

I am guessing the child is the child of the woman with Ebola. He could very well have it himself.

Yes. That.

Scary order...it was scary when the original order was done in '03 (SARS). It's scary now.

OTOH, apparently, we, the US, will attack ISIS forces if they move on Irbil, where 10s of thousands are hiding (in the mountain...). So...now we're back in Iraq. (Per the news, live, right now...Obama is talking...)

Where the heck did I stick my hole and the rock to pull over me once I get in there?

r

A health worker, wearing personal protection gear, offers water to a woman with Ebola virus disease (EVD), at a treatment centre for infected persons in Kenema Government Hospital, in Kenema, Eastern Province, Sierra Leone in this August, 2014 handout photo provided by UNICEF August 6, 2014.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/08/07/us-health-ebola-treatments-idUKKBN0G716D20140807
Ebola emergency turns spotlight on experimental drugs
"..............On Wednesday the World Health Organization said it would discuss next week the ethics of using Ebola drugs that have never been cleared for human use, wary of a long history of medicines being tested on people who were never properly informed of the risks. In the countries hardest hit by Ebola, suspicion of foreign medical workers is already widespread......".

Why is that child near the Ebola infected women???????? Ebola is a very severe and deadly disease.

Anthony Kamara, a 27-year-old man riding a bicycle in Freetown, Sierra Leone, said "Americans are very selfish. They only care about the lives of themselves and no one else."He referred to ZMapp as "the miracle serum" that the U.S. has "refused to share with us to save African lives."

The lack of wider availability "shows simply that white patients and black patients do not have the same value in the eyes of world medicine," said Nouridine Sow, a sociology professor at the Universal Institute of Guinea.

so they are scared of the foreign health workers and won't seek assistance? they refuse to take the necessary precautions? they drag infected patients/dead bodies home from the clinics against medical advice? and now the US is racist? and selfish?

smh.

http://news.ca.msn.com/world/africans-face-long-wait-for-unproven-ebola-drug

r

A health worker, wearing personal protection gear, offers water to a woman with Ebola virus disease (EVD), at a treatment centre for infected persons in Kenema Government Hospital, in Kenema, Eastern Province, Sierra Leone in this August, 2014 handout photo provided by UNICEF August 6, 2014.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/08/07/us-health-ebola-treatments-idUKKBN0G716D20140807
Ebola emergency turns spotlight on experimental drugs
"..............On Wednesday the World Health Organization said it would discuss next week the ethics of using Ebola drugs that have never been cleared for human use, wary of a long history of medicines being tested on people who were never properly informed of the risks. In the countries hardest hit by Ebola, suspicion of foreign medical workers is already widespread......".

In the photo above, please note the child is NOT wearing PPE.

This is the sort of thing that W. Africa deals with - very little infrastructure, very limited supplies, and very little education on how to prevent disease. And the lack of trust of those who come to help makes everything 100x harder...

Bless everyone in the path of Ebola, either there, or here, or in between. Just God bless everyone.

Best-
Herding Cats

This child is almost certainly her child, and thus amply exposed. IMO, it would be cruel and ineffective to separate them. There is no purpose to isolating this child away from his mother.

Please trust that the medical professional humanitarian aid workers are educated professionals, experienced in these conditions, and they understand the issues of infection and exposure there much better than we can.

Everyone, please do not make rash judgments from a simple picture taken by a journalist. This treatment facility is an open air situation, with plastic sheeting. The PPE (personal protective equipment) are for benefit of western aid workers. It is an incredibly complex situation to initiate lifesaving aid for such a communicable disease in an environment of extreme poverty.

For all of us struggling to come to terms with this latest horrible outbreak, it has helped me a lot thru the years to try to understand the social/ political culture and climate that exists in developing nations. I have been personally involved as both a military health care worker, and a civilian medical aid worker in several developing nations. The medical issues are only the tip of the iceberg-- the identifiable manifestations of extreme poverty, dysfunctional macro economics, corruption, and social/ political chaos. There is no "easy fix" for these horrible outbreaks of communicable disease.

I'd like to recommend another book that is, IMO, both highly controversial, and extremely illuminating. It helps to have a glimmer of understanding of the economic and social/ political environment of developing nations, IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Aid-Working-Better-Africa/dp/0374532125

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dambisa_Moyo

Ken Isaacs spoke to an Washington Lawmakers during an emergency hearing on the Ebola crisis.
Mr. Isaac's has some serious credentials and is well regarded amongst government agencies and NGOs' alike. When he speaks, people listen. We need to sit up and take heed of what this man says.

http://youtu.be/sXt8w86RdzI

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back