Andrea Lyon New DP Atty

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am against the dp, so many innocent people have been released in the last few years from death row. But as kc and her parents like to point out, kc is special, and since she is so special, I think a special exception needs to be made here. I believe she fully deserves the dp if/when she is found guilty.

This woman seems like someone who is both crafty, and someone who can win people over to her side. It will be interesting to see how the defense changes with her on board. It would almost appear to me, she is here to try and keep KC off of death row, not prove innocence.

BINGO!

Why then, did she claim her client innocent?

Oops!

In my opinion, Andrea Lyon has been brought into this case for 2 purposes. One is to provide the required death penalty qualified counsel for the defense. The other purpose is an attempt to negate what Ms. Lyon has already called the prosecution having sought a "tactical advantage" by asking for the death penalty.

I feel that the stated claim of never having lost a death penalty case is at best a misstatement. To my view she has been a defense counsel with 100% of her clients being, in fact, convicted of murder to one degree or another at their trial. I do not consider that to be "never having lost a death penalty case."

The defense strategy appears to have become resigned to a conviction of murder for the defendant. They need Andrea Lyon to attempt to prevent a death penalty sentence for her crime, thereby providing a "tactical advantage" of their own in obtaining a plea deal for their client.

"Andrea Lyon is called “the Angel of death row" because she has aided a number of people from being given the death penalty. In fact it is been said that she never is lost a death penalty case.

The Orlando Sentinel, the newspaper that has been following this case and has a special section devoted to tracking it, quotes Leon as saying, ”There is no question in my mind that they are seeking a tactical advantage, and I intend to say so bluntly and in front of this court. She went on to say, “ I believe that the Florida law simply doesn't allow asking for the death penalty in these circumstances.”

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/273357
I can't imagine any "circumstance" that warrants it more.

sorry if this has been covered.......I heard her proclaim Casey's innocence

I also heard her "wins" were reduced to "Life in prison".....

How many 'Not Guilty" verdicts has she won???
A very good question...

ETA: her addition to the team may do more damage than JB could ever have imagined...for those very reasons. She's kept client's from facing death...they were not exonerated. Perhaps, that's the reason when addressed about it, JB qualified that they were working to finding Casey innocent...as she is, of course.

sorry if this has been covered.......I heard her proclaim Casey's innocence

I also heard her "wins" were reduced to "Life in prison".....

How many 'Not Guilty" verdicts has she won???

Apparently NONE. Andrea Lyon's faculty biography from DePaul University states the following:

"She has defended more than 30 potential capital cases at the trial level and has taken 19 through penalty phase; she won all 19."

In my opinion, it is a reasonable assessment that none of those cases resulted in acquittal or mention would surely have been made in her biography.

http://www.law.depaul.edu/faculty_st...tion.asp?id=29

Ok, the Lyon is there for DP. It was required by law. (Maybe she will stay on) whom has been a prof for quite a bit, but not the highest DP defense attorney of record. However, this woman has her legal, litigation reputation to protect. (KC is not getting DP regardless, sorry, it is just not gonna happen, sorry.) May we ask what is really going on. Yes, lawyers appear before putting the pro hoc vice motions in, for a reason. Pro Hoc Vice also means a heck of a lot more cost for the attorney then what they may or not be paid. JB's introduction was absurd without a filing. Still Strickland allowed the game to a degree. Lyon sat, watched, waited. DP qualified is important, but why the "book writer". Why not one whom is not doing self advertisement? (Sorry, I just know better. Most DP qualified may have come in without motions filed, but would not tolerate touting. Their record touts their accomplishments for what they have accomplished, period. No introduction, not b.s.) Why the hoopla? Lyon did not tout herself, but still, there is something amiss. (She knows she is hired, she knows she will make bookoo money, (hmm, wherever), she knows it is not a DP case, she knows it is an easy draw for her. I don't like it. I wanted someone more sincere. If she is, we shall see. (No harm in her making money, just the JB hoopla, that is my problem.) Well, heck, it is just JB that is a problem. Blah!

Would they have to have the judge's approval if he had picked a Florida DP-qualified lawyer?

Would they have to have the judge's approval if he had picked a Florida DP-qualified lawyer?

No, I don't think there would have been a Motion from the State if they knew one was already on board either. There would have been no Pro Hac Vice then. I think a Florida DP qualified attorney would have simply filed a Notice of Appearance and hopped on board.

snipped for space

"Very few women are put to death in Florida," defense attorney Jose Baez said. "She's not a serial killer."Anthony is charged with murdering a child, a crime that juries rarely find worth of capital punishment.

Interesting choice of words by JB. Is this supposed to mean she only killed one person, therefore it doesn't justify capital punishment?

Since he's her lawyer he should say... "she's not a killer".

snipped for space

Interesting choice of words by JB. Is this supposed to mean she only killed one person, therefore it doesn't justify capital punishment?

Good old JB - what a wordsmith! With lawyers like that who needs a prosecutor? I'm sure AL will have a muzzle on him asap. Let's just hope she can do enough damage control so that KC cannot appeal later on how the myriad times he has mucked up the case up to this point made her "indefensible" or some such nonsense.

No, I don't think there would have been a Motion from the State if they knew one was already on board either. There would have been no Pro Hac Vice then. I think a Florida DP qualified attorney would have simply filed a Notice of Appearance and hopped on board.

I'm not so sure. If the DP qualified lawyer was a member of the FLA bar, then no motion to be admitted PHV would have been necessary. It's a separate requirement to file the appearance and certification necessary to establish you are DP qualified under Florida's rules. That applies to both in state and out of state lawyers, I think. It "shall" be filed immediately upon being retained.

snipped for space

You're right, horrible choice of words... I see where he was TRYING to go with this as quite a few serial killers stem from Florida, with a few being on Death Row. I can't count how many times I say to myself "did he just really say that" about JB.

snipped for space

I agree it's an interesting choice of words, however he may have been referring to the last woman executed in FL, Aileen Wuornous, who was a serial killer.

Also, the only woman currently on death row, Tiffany Cole, was convicted of a double homicide. MOO

I'm not so sure. If the DP qualified lawyer was a member of the FLA bar, then no motion to be admitted PHV would have been necessary. It's a separate requirement to file the appearance and certification necessary to establish you are DP qualified under Florida's rules. That applies to both in state and out of state lawyers, I think. It "shall" be filed immediately upon being retained.

You're right, Amethyst!

How long does it take for a lawyer get ready for trial? Lets say AL starts in July since she can't take her butt to Fla until the end of this month. That will give her 4 months til Oct. Five mo if we count June. She could still study the case thru June even if she. She has already studied this case if she even thought she might take a shot at it. She ain't stupid and wouldn't jump into it blind. So to me she is stalling. I guess what I am asking is how long can she "stall" before she can say she is ready?

How long does it take for a lawyer get ready for trial? Lets say AL starts in July since she can't take her butt to Fla until the end of this month. That will give her 4 months til Oct. Five mo if we count June. She could still study the case thru June even if she. She has already studied this case if she even thought she might take a shot at it. She ain't stupid and wouldn't jump into it blind. So to me she is stalling. I guess what I am asking is how long can she "stall" before she can say she is ready?

I think AL has a LOT more lattitude now it is DP and she will deconstruct the case, piece by piece. I predict AL will generate a LOT of motions to seek to contest the DP, as she stated but also challenge everything and anything.

The more the Defense can eliminate or shed doubt on the discovery and case against KC -- the better chance they have to raise doubt at trial. I doubt the Defense will ever be ready for trial and will exhaust every avenue. Once exhausted they will go to trial -- they have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Once KC is found guilty then they will start again in the penalty phase to minimize the damage.

You don't have someone like AL if you intend to get this over with, she is in for the long haul and will use every trick in the book and then some.

Fortunately, he's in good health and still sought by publishers -- "When the Husband Is The Suspect" was published in 2008 (Sheppard through Peterson).

I wondered if you would pop in, Wudge, when F Lee Bailey was mentioned!! :blowkiss:

I have not read this whole thread, but wondered if this had been posted about AL and how she allowed an innocent man to rot in prison for 26 years, when she knew he was not guilty. The reason: he was not given the death penalty.

Seems abolishing the death penalty is her only interest or at the very least getting people off death row...guess it's OK if they sit in prison for a lifetime.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/features/stories/hottype/080131/

Myself and others left comments on her blog which is now mysteriously closed for comments.

http://www.andrealyon.com/blog/

The first part of this page has changed from her announcement of being part of the Casey Anthony team to what it is now...guess she only wants glowing comments on her page...bet she was bombarded with posts from people just like me about the case and why she left an innocent man rot in prison for 26 years.

"Andrea Lyon is called “the Angel of death row" because she has aided a number of people from being given the death penalty. In fact it is been said that she never is lost a death penalty case.

The Orlando Sentinel, the newspaper that has been following this case and has a special section devoted to tracking it, quotes Leon as saying, ”There is no question in my mind that they are seeking a tactical advantage, and I intend to say so bluntly and in front of this court. She went on to say, “ I believe that the Florida law simply doesn't allow asking for the death penalty in these circumstances.”

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/273357

Gee, I wonder what "circumstances" she is talking about? I thought she didn't believe in the death penalty at all, so any circumstances to her don't warrant death.

Wow, the longer this case drags out unfortunately the better for Casey.

I have not read this whole thread, but wondered if this had been posted about AL and how she allowed an innocent man to rot in prison for 26 years, when she knew he was not guilty. The reason: he was not given the death penalty.

Seems abolishing the death penalty is her only interest or at the very least getting people off death row...guess it's OK if they sit in prison for a lifetime.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/features/stories/hottype/080131/

Myself and others left comments on her blog which is now mysteriously closed for comments.

http://www.andrealyon.com/blog/

The first part of this page has changed from her announcement of being part of the Casey Anthony team to what it is now...guess she only wants glowing comments on her page...bet she was bombarded with posts from people just like me about the case and why she left an innocent man rot in prison for 26 years.

Anything pertaining to Alton Logan has been moved from this thread to here:
Attorney Client Privilege/ Alton Logan Ethical Dilemma
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77350"]Attorney Client Privilege/ Alton Logan Ethical Dilemma - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

I'd like to think your speculation on CA finally 'getting it' is so, but think you are overly generous in assessing her level of narcissism and need to control. She is not any more likely to believe AL than MN. She is far more likely to get angry and defensive with anyone who suggests that her conduct has in any way threatened rather than helped the outcome of her daughter's (eventual) trial. UNLESS maybe BC, AL and others all staged a massive intervention on her???

I think AL managed to get the upper with CA--for now. But that won't last, because CA can't control herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauraj333