Armchair Psych Profile and JH's Background

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I'm an undergraduate psychology student planning on attending grad school next year. There are many different possible disorders that could correlate with Holmes' high IQ, verbal behavior (or lack of), nonverbal behavior (eye fluttering), skiddish social life, and his malicious plot. I'm no expert, but I hope to be someday. Nonetheless, my armchair psych profile of Holmes would be one of the three plausibilities; 1) Antisocial personality disorder 2) some kind of attachment disorder 3) Schizophrenia.

I must say, his crimes are an atrocity and he deserves all punishment coming his way. But I truly hope than psychologists can work with him to further research for studies pertaining to mental illness and how they can lead to atrocities such as this.

Hey all,

I'm an undergraduate psychology student planning on attending grad school next year. There are many different possible disorders that could correlate with Holmes' high IQ, verbal behavior (or lack of), nonverbal behavior (eye fluttering), skiddish social life, and his malicious plot. I'm no expert, but I hope to be someday. Nonetheless, my armchair psych profile of Holmes would be one of the three plausibilities; 1) Antisocial personality disorder 2) some kind of attachment disorder 3) Schizophrenia.

I must say, his crimes are an atrocity and he deserves all punishment coming his way. But I truly hope than psychologists can work with him to further research for studies pertaining to mental illness and how they can lead to atrocities such as this.

Wishing you lots of success :)

I just want to add to your diagnosis.
It does not have to be 1,2,or 3 - it can also be ALL of them.
MI is very complex.

Wishing you lots of success :)

I just want to add to your diagnosis.
It does not have to be 1,2,or 3 - it can also be ALL of them.
MI is very complex.

Thank you!

Also, might I add, he may be a psychopath. Many psychopaths tend to be antisocial with high IQ. He is very brilliant IMO, despite some forthcoming descriptions. Logically no rational human as brilliant as Holmes would ever do this. Remember that mental illness can be hidden, for the most part, especially regarding people with superior intelligence.

Thank you!

Also, might I add, he may be a psychopath. Many psychopaths tend to be antisocial with high IQ. He is very brilliant IMO, despite some forthcoming descriptions. Logically no rational human as brilliant as Holmes would ever do this. Remember that mental illness can be hidden, for the most part, especially regarding people with superior intelligence.

I disagree with the "brilliant" description. While he got excellent grades as an undergraduate student, I don't see anything to indicate that he was somehow "brilliant."
His career was only starting and he had a long road ahead of him.
There are no indications he was inventing anything at a young age.
Also, he didn't personally obtain the training grant-the grant is given to the program, which then gives it to students that are accepted.

I disagree with the "brilliant" description. While he got excellent grades as an undergraduate student, I don't see anything to indicate that he was somehow "brilliant."
His career was only starting and he had a long road ahead of him.
There are no indications he was inventing anything at a young age.
Also, he didn't personally obtain the training grant-the grant is given to the program, which then gives it to students that are accepted.

Based on many opinions from his peers, Holmes is brilliant. He was one of 6 chosen for his Doctorate program. He has a track of always achieving academic superiority. He is regarded as being and quiet, intelligent kid. I think his intelligence is being miscalculated by others due to his social mannerisms. Which are indicative of people with really high IQ or mental illness, perhaps IMO both.

Thank you!

YES many MI patients are brilliant I took many Mental Health courses.
My daughters IQ was 155 that is very high - she is MI and she covered it up for a very long time.
Most MI patients are NOT dangerous. I have no idea what his trigger was, We may find out later on.

What did James Holmes' psychiatrist know -- and when?
By Dr. Keith Ablow - Published July 31, 2012

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/07/31/what-did-james-holmes-psychiatrist-know-and-when/

Interesting.

Disclaimer: Posting does not equate to an endorsement of the article

THANK YOU - GOOD ARTICLE.
It makes a lot of sense. I had many of these thoughts, but we were not allowed to talk about it.
I did in one post just wonder if she herself was not on meds. (impaired)

Hey all,

If he wasn't diagnosed with Antisocial PD, he will be now. As far as schizophrenia, I'm leaning to no. Individuals with schizophrenia tend to lose the ability to organize their behavior. They also have difficulty performing the tasks of everyday living. Holmes was very organized and self controlled.

What did James Holmes' psychiatrist know -- and when?
By Dr. Keith Ablow - Published July 31, 2012

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/07/31/what-did-james-holmes-psychiatrist-know-and-when/

Interesting.

Disclaimer: Posting does not equate to an endorsement of the article

Liz love your disclaimer. Ablow's long history of allowing his own prejudices to shine through in his "diagnosis" has always made me feel bad for his patients...

When a tragedy like this occurs the most dangerous place in the world is obstructing the route of Keith Ablow as he runs to get in front of a news camera...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S 2

If he wasn't diagnosed with Antisocial PD, he will be now. As far as schizophrenia, I'm leaning to no. Individuals with schizophrenia tend to lose the ability to organize their behavior. They also have difficulty performing the tasks of everyday living. Holmes was very organized and self controlled.

Thanks for the reply,

I think the antisocial PD is obvious due to his quiet nature, infatuation with villians (joker), reclusive behavior, and violence. I'm curious about his reported "eye fluttering". What could this be an indication of, mania of sort, stress, dillusion, bad eyesight?

My thought on this. JH isn't a uneducated man seeking treatment. He was educated about the process. He knew if he had made threats his doctor would immediately alert the proper authorities. He didn't want his plans messed up. So, IMO he didn't hint at harming himself or others.

does the level of knowledge or education really matter in this case? I thought that an educated man or an uneducated man could be able to conceal very well threatning and dangerous or self destructive plans from his shrink, specially when they are psychotic, paranoid, delusional, schizophrenic, suicidal, drug addicts, anorexics, bulimics etc, no? when they have that solid idea in their minds, they don't want people to ruin their plans, they know the consequences, sometimes their own obssessive thoughts / paranoia/ voices in their heads, even warn before hand, that if they tell, it will screw their plan and it has a price, they gonna pay... so why would they tell to their doctors? sometimes they do, sometimes don't, I don't think it is a matter of being educated or not. JMHO

Of course, I'm not saying JH is any of those things I wrote above (yep I need to put this warning before someone here jump on my post to say that nothing in the press state that he was suffering from some mental problem, I know that, relax, lol).

I don't know where to put this, all I can say is this happens all the time, I don't know what has happened to our society sometimes. A fan page, angering!

James Holmes Facebook Fan Page Apparently Taken Down

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/30/james-holmes-facebook-fan-page_n_1720195.html

adding another, now there are plenty of articles about this:

'Holmies for life': Shocking pictures reveal sick online fans of Dark Knight massacre gunman James Holmes who wear his favourite clothes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...drink-slurpees-support.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Thanks for the reply,

I think the antisocial PD is obvious due to his quiet nature, infatuation with villians (joker), reclusive behavior, and violence. I'm curious about his reported "eye fluttering". What could this be an indication of, mania of sort, stress, dillusion, bad eyesight?

Perhaps watching would be helpful. There are more on youtube:

[video=youtube;zef2YFsQJgg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zef2YFsQJgg[/video]

bear with me: 2 mass shooters here in my country were extremely organized, one went to medical school and planed his shooting 7 years ahead (he dreamt about it and the idea grew stronger everyday until the day he couldn't bear the urge anymore and had to commit the crime). He did lot of serious planning yet the guy was on and off antipsychotics, later was diagnosed schizophrenic. The other mass shooter went to college, had a nice job and would go to work everyday, he was never ever late, very organized and serious, yet he planned an uncredible mass shooting, he left a manifesto, youtube videos, even a letter of how he wanted to be buried, he learned how to shoot and got weapons illegally in the black market, he fooled everyone, family friends, doctors, co-workers. Aftermath: he killed 12 innocent kids but his revenge was because in his mind he was killing the children that bullied him in the past when he was at school, the psychiatrist said after reading his letters with his motives that probably when this killer entered the school and fired at random kids, he didn't see innocent strangers, he just saw his bullies and his mind they deserved to die. His biological mother was schizophrenic, but he was adopted and didn't know about his real mom. Both shooters were 24 years old, both schizophrenics on and off medication, both intelligent and pretty damn organized, normal families, middle and upper class, we have security guards with bullet proof vests and weapons almost everywhere we go, from schools to shopping malls, yet nobody could stop and avoid those shootings, they were going to psychiatrist, on and off meds, yet nothing could be done. Those things are hard to predict.

Premeditation, being organized, self controled IMHO does not rule out schizophrenia. Delusions can be long-term, some schizophrenics might think "I'm Elvis today", while some might believe they are Elvis for months or years at a time. I'm not excusing what JH did by any means, just pointing out that consistent planning actions would make sense if he believed himself to be the Joker.

Mind you, I'm not saying he is schizophrenic, I know nobody want to consider this possibility also I don't have the expertise to diagnose him (I need to make this disclaimer, before someone here shoot me and nag about what media says that there is no proof the guy is mentally ill, yadayada, yes I know that) I just want to point out that things aren't black and white, being organized and self controlled doesn't mean much sometimes,2 mass shooters in my country were schizophrenics, both were very good at hiding things. This is why I wouldn't be so sure to say that he is not schizophrenic just because the guy, studied neuroscience, planned so carefully, was highly organized and performed the tasks of his everyday living. You can be a lunatic and still fool everyone for a while until something horrific happens that will make people notice that something is wrong.

Maybe he just thought that more options available, if he presented himself open minded, the easier would be for him to get laid. IDK. Tmz claims the profile is genuine but I still don't understand why JH wrote his birthdate and height wrong in that AFF profile. Why December 10th and why 6'0''tall ? he was born on the 13th and is 6'3''tall. Would a guy make himself shorter and lie about the day he was born like that? People usually lie about being taller and what is the point of changing the date from 13th to 10th? make yourself a few days older? people like being younger! oh well... maybe he didn't like 13 because it is an unlucky number...lol, if anyone knows why would someone do those things in a dating profile, please tell me.

I always change my bday by a few days or a month on random forms... identity theft is real.

Did no one ever notice his eyes fluttering that much before the crime? Seems like someone would've noticed.

I tried to look up reasons for eye fluttering. Epilepsy and certain drugs related to epilepsy came up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomasfrank