ARRESTED- Luka Rocco Magnotta:1st deg murder charge #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My emotional response to Luka, in reviewing details related to this case, has ranged from complete terror and disgust when learning graphic details of the murder, to empathy when considering what might have driven him to do something so awful. A lot of us are trying to wrap our heads around something we find bizarre and disturbing, and there are differing responses in the process.

I couldn't stomach the video. Didn't make it through 5 seconds and know I won't ever see the full footage. And the stills have really shaken me. Mostly I worry about his family and the media circus and hope we are not contributing in some way to sensationalism about Luka. I hope the family has space to (if it is possible) heal.

I've often seen photos of killers when they were little kids and felt very sad for the lost lives and potential. So what?

I've often seen photos of killers when they were little kids and felt very sad for the lost lives and potential. So what?

That's fine. It makes me sad when I see them as innocent children. It's the adult pyschopaths they turn out to be because of choice (imo) that makes me hate them.

Yes choice. IMO, I don't believe Magnotta is mentally ill. He's a psycho. Like all those before him who took pleasure in murdering innocent victims and enjoyed every second of it including evading authorities.

I think i would have made a world of diff for LM (hug) , my god his families complete disassocation with this human takes my breath away. Gosh for 15 days your son brother aunt uncle (whatever family role) is the front page globally for doing horrid things -- NOT one has come "out" for lack of better word , even tried to say something, reached out , told him they cared NOTHING - now that is ALONE.

I understand what you are saying but we do not know if he has received a phone call from his family. I understand that it is being reported that journalists, etc are "following" them. The entire situation is sad for both families but it doesn't take away the anger at what he has done.

I asked him about friends that Magnotta had in Montreal in the past 18 months and he shared with me that neither he or anyone he knew of has been able to identify someone connected to Magnotta (friend, acquaintance) in the past 18 months.

Note: the people that have been previously discussed/interviewed and identified as former friends or lovers of Magnotta have NOT been part of his life for over 18 months.

I find something so troubling and empty about him having such a visible online presence (under his own name and countless personalities he created) and no real-world connections in the last 18 months... This is so key to me for some yet to be determined reason.

In the document he wrote about how to disappear he talks about distancing yourself from friends.... Wonder if he has planned that long ago to go down this route.

Body Dysmorphic Disorder : A Personal Perspective

There has been a great deal of discussion today about body dysmorphic disorder and I've tried to avoid discussing this topic because it is something I am way too aware of as it is something I have experienced; it is something that combined with anorexia athletica almost killed me. Body dysmophic disorder and/or male eating disorders are very serious issues.

I'll share with you some of my story, which received notable media visibility years ago, to better help understand this condition:

Looking back on college, which I began as a 220-pound college-football player who had never had eaten Lucky Charms or Trix but always had a strict, healthy diet. After Freshman year I discarded football to enjoy the other aspects of college life: internships, bar-tending, friends, taking in junk food & booze and typical college fare. My fit, healthy athlete's body had turned into 320 pounds of YUCK.

I never had been shunned or made fun of because of my weight. I always was the life of the party. I never was made to feel awkward. I was a fun guy. It was never an issue. I hear people say that overweight people are depressed and unhappy. I was just the opposite.

It wasn't until I got my college graduation pictures back in the mail that I really saw myself and was horrified by the way I looked; who is this tremendously fat person in these photos? OMG it's me.

So I decided to go back to my roots, as a competitive swimmer since the age of 5 and 3 sport athlete in high school I knew what I needed to do: rediscover my passion for athletics and get back in shape. I went to one of those fitness centers with multiple locations and joined; I'm sure that the woman who signed me up took one look at me and probably thought I was an easy commission and that I'd never be back.

However I went back to the gym morning's and evening's seven days a week; it became more than a workout, it became an obsession. What began as a fun thing to do for myself before and after work began to run my life-- as my commitment to fitness continued and the weight dropped fast, I noticed all of the compliments on my appearance I received from people. As someone who was already well-liked and not shunned for being fat, these compliments added fuel to my passion for working out. In order to cut out fast foods I became a vegetarian.

I began my workouts at 320-pounds in June and by October of that same year I was competing in running competitions and down to about 170-pounds (statistically my ideal weight) and should have gone into maintenance mode. Unfortunately, I did not; I actually became more obsessed with my fitness and appearance. When I looked into the mirror, I saw the 320-pound person in my college graduation photos looking back at me. No matter what I did or what mirror I used, the 170-pound me saw the 320-pound me in the mirror. I was working out for 90 minutes twice a day. I became obsessed with my caloric intake and kept a diary of everything I ate which averaged a caloric intake of 320 calories per day.

By February (less than 8 months after joining the gym) I weighed 120 pounds and still saw the 320 pound man in the mirror. I shunned my friends and became a totally different person who was not pleasant (no longer the well-liked, jovial person everyone adored), uncomfortable in my own skin and in total denial about my condition. In that same months I traveled to a family function and my family essentially staged an intervention in a very smart manner. The doctors evaluated me and told me that if my anorexia continued I would be dead within months. I was also made to agree to begin to talk with a friend of my brother-in-law's who is a sports nutritionist, sports psychologist and multi-sport coach.

I begrudgingly agreed to this and he saved my life, literally, by reprogramming me to understand that food is not the enemy but the fuel for training and racing. To assist with this we began a plan that I would start to train for triathlons and, in doing so, rebuild my body and see the importance of food. I also began the long process of beginning to deal with my body dysmorphic disorder; not an easy process at all.

A few months after beginning to rebuild my body and relationships in my life and try not to see the 320-pound man in the mirror anymore, I competed in my first triathlon which I placed 2nd or 3rd in my age group. Soon after photos once again impacted my life: I saw the photos of this fit, svelte guy in a speedo surrounded by other folks in speedos and thought the fit, svelte guy was in as good or better shape than the others; that fit, svelte guy was me.

Years and countless Ironman triathlon competitions later I write this a happy, fit, healthy person who truly loves and appreciates life and those in my life.

I could ramble on about this for pages but please understand that both anorexia and body dysmorphic disorder are serious conditions which are never cured but one has to deal with every day in order to not relapse.

Thanks for reading this.

Thank you for sharing your story. As an occasional poster, it is stories like yours that keeps bringing me back to WS. Thanks again for your honesty. :blowkiss:

I don't want to be rude or insult anyone.....but see what is happening here?
You make fun of Luka, make fun of how he looks and acts. This happens every day to a lot of people. People like LM. People who don't "fit in", who are abandoned by their family, who have mental problems or disorders and are being treated like scum. Tormented souls.

I am NOT defending his actions, I am not on 'his side". But this is how society treats people who are different. They are being shut out, picked on, etc.
And once in a while, a "Luka" can't handle it anymore and does awfull things to other human beings. An answer to neglect, a loveless life, being bullied, being misunderstood.
Following this case, it fulfills me with sadness. For both victim and killer.

There is nothing funny about this case.

ahahaha that picture makes him look asian.. and depressed as hell.. i sure hope someone gives him a copy of that picture!

He looks 50 years old and nothing like him! yikes!

Since Susan reposted Scientific's original post on LRM's intelligence, I'm reposting my reply to Scientific.

In short: I disagree strongly with Scientific's suggestion that LRM is "brilliant" and has high intelligence/high IQ.

Below is Scientific's original post, and my original response and my own view: that LRM is of average intelligence, at most.

=======================

I disagree with much of this. LRM's intelligence appears to me to be no more than average, if that.

Some responses.

1. First, I know of no sound scientific or social science evidence suggesting that intelligence is "honed" by "dangerous lifestyles". Moreover, it seems his life in recent years-- however he was making money-- mostly involved creating a fantasy world online, of lies and disinformation about himself (he may very well be the Internet's Greatest Troll Ever).

2. What evidence do we have that LRM knew a "fair amount" of French and Russian? He lived it Montreal; it's not unusual for someone of even below average intelligence to pick up some passable French in a city where French is the first language. As for Russian, we have no evidence that he could speak any of it. And like much of his false stories, lies, and other disinformation posted online, he plagiarized countless works on his website and many blogs; the "Russian" portions on his site are more likely simply cut-and-pastes from Google Translate. That seems more consistent with his tendency to create false stories about himself, including his "ties" to Russian mafia.

3. This is a personal opinion. I find much of his "imagined" world quite prosaic and most often (like his many blog posts) simply plagiarized or borrowed from movies, pop culture, and other objects of his obsessions: serial killers and violence. His song "True Faith" he uses in so many vids is ripped from American Psycho, and his mirror line (about him being a reflection of society) famously comes from Charles Manson. He lived in a fantasy world, no doubt. But I don't think you need to be highly intelligent to plagiarize and copy the many false stories LRM tells about himself.

LRM seems more often to me, to be a doofus who continually overestimates his own intelligence and persistently underestimates those pursuing him. That's typical of narcissists. And we can see it with the video and how quickly he was caught.

LRM is an attention seeker who quite obviously wanted to be caught; so he left blatant clues in the video (Casablanca) poster; but his execution of the crime was clumsy, with plenty of missteps and angles overlooked on his part. The suitcase clumsily left by his curb (where it was not picked up by the garbage collectors); being seen on video surveillance at the apartment at at the Canada Post; communicating on his phone in Europe. LRM expected police to link the kill video to him; but it was traditional police work that did him in, and quickly. This is not the result of a brilliant or intelligent mind.

As for the rest -- all of his online posts should be treated with skepticism, as he has a penchant for pathological lying and story telling. Moreover, "Looks" and "Travel" are not a statistically significant association with intelligence.

And I don't think it takes a genius to figure out how to negotiate the Internet, create YouTube pages, and troll blogs, 4chan, and even to download, install, and set up Tor in order to surf the Deep Web. A person with average intelligence and sufficient time (and commitment) could figure it out; especially given the amount of time that LRM obviously spent online. This was his world.

===

Due to a sampling bias, early research on psychopathy incorrectly found that psychopaths were typically above average intelligence. Subsequent research has shown no such association. Psychopaths come from a range of intelligence and IQ. People should not make the mistake of assuming LRM must be brilliant because he's a narcissistic psychopath who often lies about his own intelligence and IQ.

My assessment is that LRM is of fairly average intelligence, with a high degree of narcissism that leads him to overestimate his own intelligence and capabilities (and underestimate others). That is typical of a psychopath.

It is true that, at times, LRM writes more intelligently than others; but whenever that seems to be the case, someone reveals that his more "intelligent" writing has been copied or plagiarized from somewhere else.

Boodi Moovan was on here the other day talking about her group had gone through his website and sourced pretty much all his more "original" and more intelligent writing to other people and sources. That is, he plagiarized everything.

My theory, as previously stated, is that he's ultimately an attention seeker, which is necessary to feed his psychopathic egoism. So, as with his animal torture videos, he really did want the kill video to eventually be linked back to him, so he could have the fame (like other notorious serial killers); hence the YouTube sockpuppets posting about "1 Lunatic, 1 Icepick" before it was even made.

LRM expected the video to eventually be linked back to him; he just figured he would be long gone by then. He wasn't expecting the police to link him to the murder so quickly, via the torso & suitcase outside his apartment and surveillance videos from his apartment.

His clumsiness and missteps led to his capture much sooner than he expected. Proving, again, his average capacity.
Where I disagree, in terms of intelligence - spelling is not an indicator - in ANY way - intelligence to a large degree is a genetic starting point, and I am the one that did the brilliant.
I am new here, yesterday, and I cut and paste the first writing that blew me away but evidently I did something wrong because it was removed. But I have learned so... that being said.... here is (I hope the right way to do this) the piece of writing that BLEW me away
It is this:
http://luka-magnotta.com/?page_id=37 ONLY the piece
"RECKLESS DISREGARD FOR THE TRUTH"

AND as I learned later, much of the stuff on THAT site was not his writing "BUT RECKLESS DISREGARD FOR THE TRUTH" is not, like copy and paste, internet research stuff. It is creative writing with great vocab, word choice, clarity in writing etc.

Now, can I say I know he wrote it - certainly not - BUT if read in the context of all his stuff, his games, his personas etc., it "feels" as if it was indeed written by him.....It is a first person kind of writing that so mirrors all his crap (kind of like a giant exercise in projection -accusing everyone of doing all the stuff he was doing (manipulative stuff) -

My conclusions with the sloppy writing/spelling were drugs /indifference/being in a rage while he was doing his stuff and writing etc.!

If "RECKLESS DISREGARD FOR THE TRUTH" is read only in the context of all the stuff he has been doing, his whole lofe, it is a first person account ... nothing internet "research" can formulate, nor anything "others" can know not sure if that makes sense ....

In addition, verbally, he is articulate -- another indicator of inteligence.

One more thing from this AM's post :
There is a difference between smart and bright (alter ego stuff, creativity in just being all over the internet as different entities , different jobs, different ages, names, vocations, each with different family histories etc. etc.

Pause folks, --- what do screenwriters, novelists and playwrights do? The exact same thing! Create characters in depth. Create names, identities, looks, mannerisms etc.

My notions surrounding him being bright are centered in the “creativity” demonstrated throughout his entire “created” existence.

You make fun of Luka, make fun of how he looks and acts. This happens every day to a lot of people. People like LM. People who don't "fit in", who are abandoned by their family, who have mental problems or disorders and are being treated like scum. Tormented souls.

I am NOT defending his actions, I am not on 'his side". But this is how society treats people who are different. They are being shut out, picked on, etc.
And once in a while, a "Luka" can't handle it anymore and does awfull things to other human beings. An answer to neglect, a loveless life, being bullied, being misunderstood.

There's an awesome documentary on youtube called, "Child of Rage" about a little girl who was hurting her little brother and animals and wanted to kill her whole family and everyone else in the world. She went into intensive therapy that really worked for her, but they caught it early.

ctv must have gotten their sketch artists from montreal's Just for Laughs Festival

There's an awesome documentary on youtube called, "Child of Rage" about a little girl who was hurting her little brother and animals and wanted to kill her whole family and everyone else in the world. She went into intensive therapy that really worked for her, but they caught it early.

She was sexually abused, and then adopted wasn't she? Or is that another story......

If you look at the original thread about this you can understand the context of my post better. I wasn't arguing that he was brilliant, but rather that he wasn't mentally retarded. Eventually someone cleared up that a wiki post assigning Luka a low iq was just more Luka bashing.

It's easy to become confused on this board, especially when someone responds to a post from another thread so that people no longer understand the context of the original post.

Fair enough! Yeah, I definitely don't think he's borderline intelligence, or necessarily even below average.

The one sad part about LRM's background, is that he probably never really had a chance to pursue any kind of higher education. That just was never in the cards for him. He seems to have come from a broken home, and went on to lead a broken life.

I understand what you are saying but we do not know if he has received a phone call from his family. I understand that it is being reported that journalists, etc are "following" them. The entire situation is sad for both families but it doesn't take away the anger at what he has done.
Thats true I dont know if anyone has contacted him.

I am guilty... so much of what you stated is sobering... Humor is my coping mechanism but abuse of it can lead to a pack mentality and be counter-productive.

I carry enormous guilt from my childhood for the vast majority of my classmates and I picking on the "weird girl" from kindergarten through middle school... We tormented that innocent girl with our words, insults and shunning. I can only imagine how horrific her childhood must have been being surrounded by bullies (boys & girls).

I tried to find her on FB & through Classmates to apologize but she isn't listed. I pray that we did not ruin her life psychologically.

Also not by any means excusing LRM's actions (nor mine) but I am definitely holding my head in shame at the moment.

/\THIS/\

The difference between knowing right & wrong (legal & illegal) behaviour VS. the inability to understand OR appreciate the immoral behaviour.

IMO... LRM knew his actions were illegal... he fails to appreciate them as immoral because in his mind his illegal actions are valid or justifiable (for whatever psychotic reason he has bouncing around in there).

"An accused still has to establish that he or she was, as a result of a mental disorder, “incapable of appreciating the nature and quality of the act or omission or of knowing that it was wrong.” In 1990, the Supreme Court of Canada reversed its previous position on the interpretation of “wrong” in that context. In R. v. Chaulk, six of nine judges held that this word meant “morally wrong,” as opposed to “legally wrong.”(39) That interpretation of section 16 was further refined by the Supreme Court in a 1994 decision establishing that “[t]he accused must possess the intellectual ability to know right from wrong in an abstract sense. But he or she must also possess the ability to apply that knowledge in a rational way to the alleged criminal act.”(40)

(39) R. v. Chaulk, [1990] 3 S.C.R. 1303.

(40) R. v. Oommen, [1994] 2 S.C.R. 507, at p. 516.

http://publications.gc.ca/Collection-R/LoPBdP/BP/prb9922-e.htm#3. Hospitaltxt

An insane or psychotic person is perfectly capable of committing well planned out & premeditated murder. A quick Google search for the following terms will provide pages and pages documenting such behaviour & trails:

"military" "murder" "psychotic" "mental illness" "premeditated" "altruistic murders" (especially the latter with regard to infanticide committed by mothers)
On this one, I have no doubt he knew what he was doing IT WAS EXACTLY that ---what he was doing is so horrific that made him WANT to do it Does he have mental issues most certainly, but 1 icepick i lunatic (reverse sorry!) was evil to the core with full awareness .
Throw in a trip to the post office ...(boxes/tape/addresses/going to post office/funds for postage(!) all indicate .he knew EXACTLY (with much planning ) and I do not believe a jury will buy that "flavor" of mental illiness ...

Pls he made a trailer two weeks earlier prior to release! Coming soon Opens everywhere May 29!!!!!!!!!!

I have seen the video. It didn't give me nightmares.

No nightmares here, either. It was very surreal to me. And I think it made a huge difference (for me) that the victim was already dead when the assaults happened. I'm sure I could not watch an attack on a live human or animal. I can't even watch those in the movies and have a hard time reading them in books. I still haven't watched the kitten vids, for example, and I'm pretty sure I won't ever.

I have no empathy for the accused killer. He's a . My empathy and sympathy go to Jun Lin and his family.

Frankly, if Eric Newman kills himself tomorrow, I would not shed one single tear. He's the bully. He took an innocent man's life. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95