ARUBA - Robyn Gardner, 35, Maryland woman missing in Aruba, 2 Aug 2011 - # 4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the police report filed by Aruban authorities investigating the disappearance of Robyn Gardner, witnesses said the prime suspect in her disappearance, Gary Giordano, had a cut on his throat and blood was on the beach.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/aruba-murder-suspect-gary-giordano-calm-scratches-throat/story?id=14410923

1) Again, this is ABC News, and Alexa is involved with the article.

2) Taco Stein says in the article in previous post that he has no information about this at all.

3) There are no scratches visible in his mug shot (though it was taken approx 72 hours later.)

4) There are no scratches visible in the photos taken the night of her disappearance.

Her ornate tattoo work is on her left arm, and on the 2 tourist photos you can only see her right arm.

DOH! :doh:

Lol, now I see what you're saying. If the tourist was really trying to take her picture because of her tattoos, he/she bungled that up as her tattoos don't even show on these pics. :rocker:

ETA: I meant to quote AngelFish, not myself. Oops.

Three witnesses, two women and a man, told police that Giordano approached them on Aug. 2, saying, "Can you help me? We were snorkeling and my girlfriend is missing," she told police.

One woman told police that while Giordano's sneakers were wet, his shorts were not.

Aruba Murder Suspect Had Scratch on His Throat

"They were certainly not soaking wet because there was no water dripping from his pants. In my opinion, the man was covered in sweat," she said in the police report.

She went on to tell police, "The only thing I had noticed was that the man was very calm."

The woman's friend told police, "What I thought was strange was that this man was not searching...I also noticed that he had a scratch on his thorat. It looked as if someone had scratched him with a nail," according to the police report.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/aruba-murder-suspect-gary-giordano-calm-scratches-throat/story?id=14410923

1) Again this story is by ABC. Again, Alexa is involved with the article.

2) This ABC story conflicts with an earlier ABC story about GG going to the back of the kitchen of the restaurant.

3) Would GG have reported her as missing? He would have (per his story to police) known she never came back to shore. If that happened to me I would know my friend had drowned.

4) The story just "feels" fabricated. One moment the lady is giving remarkable detail about no drips of water from his shorts, the next saying the only thing she noticed was he was very calm. Etc.

5) There is no scratch on the throat, per Taco Stein.

Ok, here is another example of how she gets people for her stories:

Good Morning America

I'm Alexa Miranda and I'm a segment producer with ABC News~ Good Morning America. I'm putting together a segment in which we reunite targets of bullying with their bullies. We recently featured a segment on bullying in which we spoke to children who shared their experiences with us. We also spoke to Miss America who was also the subject of relentless bullying as child. It was a powerful segment which evoked a huge response from our audience.

We think bullying is an important issue and are looking for new ways to cover the issue and bring it to the attention of our more than 5 million viewers. We want to be able to cover both sides of the issue in this segment. We think it~s equally as important to talk the bullies as it is to talk to their targets.

Please do keep in mind that we are a legitimate news organization and would never do anything to embarrass or disrespect anyone. If you're interested in sharing your story with us we would love to speak with you.

Alexa Miranda
Good Morning America / ABC News
Email Alexa.T.Miranda@...
Telephone Work: 212-456-6385 Cell: 917-309-7827

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/narcissisticabuse/message/1416

I wonder if she just wrote a message on Aruba websites "I'm a producer with ABC News. I'm looking for anybody who has information on the disappearance of RG. Email me!"

:seeya:

b_685_598_0_1___images_stories_news_2011_sept_sept02_OM-Getz.JPG

Friday, 02 September 2011 19:01

The Office of the Public Prosecutor of Aruba again calls on the public to give information to the police about the man G.V.G. who was arrested August 5, 2011 as a suspect in the investigation into the possible drowning of the American woman R.G. on August 2, 2011.

After releasing photos of the suspect, the woman R.G. and the white Toyota Rav 4 with licence number V-787 on August 11 and 24, 2011, the Office of the Public Prosecutor has decided today to publish a still shot and part of a video of a security camera of the JADS Dive Center the afternoon of the alleged drowning of the woman.
<modsnip>

A separate phone line for tips has been opened in the United States. The number is: 297 582 0695, preceded by the international access code. At this line a message can be recorded. <modsnip>
http://arubaherald.com/court/981-th...possible-witness-in-missing-of-us-tourist.pdf

Here's a translation:

Geen Bloedsporen
In tegenstelling tot wat door verschillende media wordt gemeld, zijn er volgens het OM geen bloedsporen gevonden op de lokatie waar Gardner zou zijn gaan snorkelen. “Het verhaal van de bloederige handafdruk is in ieder geval een onzin verhaal”, vertelt Stein.

No Traces of blood
Contrary to what various media reported, there is, according to the OM, no traces of blood found at the location where Gardner woud have been snorkeling. "The story of the bloody handprint is, in any case, a ridiculous story," says Stein.

Ook zou Giordano vlak na de verdwijning van Gardner zijn gezien met bloedsporen in zijn hals. Stein: “Dat verhaal is door ABC Television de wereld in geholpen, maar daar hebben wij helemaal geen informatie over. Dat zou ik na moeten gaan bij het technisch recherche-team.”

Also, Giordano, just after the disappearance of Gardner, was seen with traces of blood on his neck. Stein: "This story was spread through the world by ABC Television, but we have altogether no information about this. I would have to go after the technical investigation team about that."

Verrassende Beslissing
Volgens correspondent Dilma Arends op Aruba kwam de beslissing om Giordano vast te houden als een verrassing. "Er zijn weinig harde bewijzen omtrent Giordano." Arends legt uit dat Giordano's advocaat bezig was om zijn cliënt uit de gevangenis te halen. Ook was hij aan het uitzoeken hoe hij Giordano buiten het zicht van de pers om naar de Verenigde Staten kon laten vliegen.

Surprising Decision
According to correspondent Dilma Arends on Aruba, the decision to detain Giordano came as a surprise. "There is little hard evidence regarding/implicating Giordano." Arends lays out that Giordano's lawyer was busy to get his client ouf of prison. Also, he was looking into how Giordano could fly to the United States out of sight of the press.

Dronkenschap
Over twee weken moet het Openbaar Ministerie komen met harde bewijzen; als die er niet komen moet het OM Giordano laten gaan. Volgens correspondent Arends wilt het OM dronkenschap van Robyn Gardner aanvoeren als belangrijkste reden om Giordano vast te houden.

Drunkenness
In two weeks the prosecution must come up with hard evidence; if it is not there, the prosecutor has to let Giordano go. According to Arends, the prosecutor wants to argue that the main reason to hold Giordano is drunkenness of Robyn Gardner.

I want to rewind back to the fisherman story because it doesn't make sense they are saying that Hyundai owner may have seen their rental car parked by the sea at 6 p.m. unless that fisherman's story was inaccurate about them having left after a short walk along the beach.

But a fisherman said he saw the couple from his boat Aug. 2, when Gardner last was seen. They didn’t even get in the water, much less go snorkeling, the fisherman said, according to law enforcement sources. The couple left the beach together, according to the fisherman. That doesn’t match Giordano’s timeline, according to sources.

“That story has not been proven yet,” Solicitor General Taco Stein said. “It has not been anchored in reality, but if that statement, there is reality, it’s something that might change the path of the investigation.”

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/New-Search-New-Witness-in-Aruba-128207283.html

They did investigate Seroe Colorodo so that would indicate to me they had suspicion GG did leave the area and return. Perhaps that was just following up on a tip which was not a hot lead but something to look into. It's hard to say but I find it interesting they appear to be thinking the rental car was parked by the sea at 6 p.m.

MOO.

Here's a translation:

Geen Bloedsporen
In tegenstelling tot wat door verschillende media wordt gemeld, zijn er volgens het OM geen bloedsporen gevonden op de lokatie waar Gardner zou zijn gaan snorkelen. &#8220;Het verhaal van de bloederige handafdruk is in ieder geval een onzin verhaal&#8221;, vertelt Stein.

No Traces of blood
Contrary to what various media reported, there is, according to the OM, no traces of blood found at the location where Gardner woud have been snorkeling. "The story of the bloody handprint is, in any case, a ridiculous story," says Stein.

Ook zou Giordano vlak na de verdwijning van Gardner zijn gezien met bloedsporen in zijn hals. Stein: &#8220;Dat verhaal is door ABC Television de wereld in geholpen, maar daar hebben wij helemaal geen informatie over. Dat zou ik na moeten gaan bij het technisch recherche-team.&#8221;

Also, Giordano, just after the disappearance of Gardner, was seen with traces of blood on his neck. Stein: "This story was spread through the world by ABC Television, but we have altogether no information about this. I would have to go after the technical investigation team about that."

Verrassende Beslissing
Volgens correspondent Dilma Arends op Aruba kwam de beslissing om Giordano vast te houden als een verrassing. "Er zijn weinig harde bewijzen omtrent Giordano." Arends legt uit dat Giordano's advocaat bezig was om zijn cliënt uit de gevangenis te halen. Ook was hij aan het uitzoeken hoe hij Giordano buiten het zicht van de pers om naar de Verenigde Staten kon laten vliegen.

Surprising Decision
According to correspondent Dilma Arends on Aruba, the decision to detain Giordano came as a surprise. "There is little hard evidence regarding/implicating Giordano." Arends lays out that Giordano's lawyer was busy to get his client ouf of prison. Also, he was looking into how Giordano could fly to the United States out of sight of the press.

Dronkenschap
Over twee weken moet het Openbaar Ministerie komen met harde bewijzen; als die er niet komen moet het OM Giordano laten gaan. Volgens correspondent Arends wilt het OM dronkenschap van Robyn Gardner aanvoeren als belangrijkste reden om Giordano vast te houden.

Drunkenness
In two weeks the prosecution must come up with hard evidence; if it is not there, the prosecutor has to let Giordano go. According to Arends, the prosecutor wants to argue that the main reason to hold Giordano is drunkenness of Robyn Gardner.

Thank you very much.

Now my next question is why did I have to find that info on a Netherlands media website? Why isn't AP, NBC, CBS, and Fox exposing this yellow journalism of ABC that would make the checkstand tabloid writers blush?

1) Again this story is by ABC. Again, Alexa is involved with the article.

2) This ABC story conflicts with an earlier ABC story about GG going to the back of the kitchen of the restaurant.

3) Would GG have reported her as missing? He would have (per his story to police) known she never came back to shore. If that happened to me I would know my friend had drowned.

4) The story just "feels" fabricated. One moment the lady is giving remarkable detail about no drips of water from his shorts, the next saying the only thing she noticed was he was very calm. Etc.

5) There is no scratch on the throat, per Taco Stein.

I think that what Taco Stein is saying in the article you posted is that ABC is making stuff up and spreading it around the world.

Thank you very much.

Now my next question is why did I have to find that info on a Netherlands media website? Why isn't AP, NBC, CBS, and Fox exposing this yellow journalism of ABC that would make the checkstand tabloid writers blush?

YW. The Dutch news is always a little different than the US news ... that was the case in the disappearance of Ms Holloway as well. If you come across other articles that look relevant, I'll help with the translation.

I want to rewind back to the fisherman story because it doesn't make sense they are saying that Hyundai owner may have seen their rental car parked by the sea at 6 p.m. unless that fisherman's story was inaccurate about them having left after a short walk along the beach.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/New-Search-New-Witness-in-Aruba-128207283.html

They did investigate Seroe Colorodo so that would indicate to me they had suspicion GG did leave the area and return. Perhaps that was just following up on a tip which was not a hot lead but something to look into. It's hard to say but I find it interesting they appear to be thinking the rental car was parked by the sea at 6 p.m.

MOO.

I don't think that GVG could have gone very far from the SE tip of the Island. He had approx 1h45m between leaving the cafe and returnig to tap on the shutters. I would put him at the end of the dirt road on the SE tip by Baby Beach at about 4:25, give them 10 minutes to be seen by the fisherman, then let's suppose that they are back at the cafe at 4:45. That leaves 1h15m. Let's assume that where ever she disappeared took some time, let's say 15 minutes to walk from the car, disappear and return to the car. That leaves about 30 minutes for a one way trip to a location where Robyn could disappear. That certainly limits the number of places where she could be. If the rental was back on the SE tip by Baby Beach shortly before 6, that's even less time for travel.

Apparently there are a lot of mines on the SW tip of Aruba - the area that has been searched. The surf is awfully rough in that area. Flip flops were found outside one mine so it was searched ... no remains found, and flip flops didn't belong to Robyn. This is one of the searches

http://m.awe24.com/suceso.php?id=8257

I found this part in the Dutch article interesting: "According to Arends (correspondent on Aruba), the prosecutor wants to argue that the main reason to hold Giordano is drunkenness of Robyn Gardner." I think this must be connected with the claim from GVG that Robyn took sleeping pills that day, that he gave her quite a lot of vodka even though he claimed they ordered no drinks at the cafe and then she disappeared ... interesting, as it does mention the point about the drunkenness of Robyn. I guess this was used to detain him for the 16 days, and I suppose the travel insurance was used to detain him for the additional 60.

That's probably why the FBI are mentioned in a couple of articles, as they too would be interested in the travel insurance interrogations - they would be looking for grounds to have him extradicted, if necessary, on first degree murder charges. The part that isn't correct in the FBI complaint about not having access to the suspect is that in Aruba, a suspect can be detained and during that time (60+ days) can be questioned for up to 6 hours per day without a lawyer. That is absolutely out of the question in the US ... a suspect cannot be detained for questioning like that. If the FBI want to prosecute him in the US, they should abide by the US laws about questioning suspects, and unless they provide GVG with a lawyer and restrict their questioning to how it is done in Maryland, or charge him, it shouldn't be allowed.

If FBI want to question Giordano according to Aruban law - without a lawyer for hours, months at a time, they should abide by Aruban law and not attempt to indict him the US as well.

... can't have it both ways, so what do the FBI hope to achieve by requesting that interpol become involved ... that the FBI can quesiton GVG per Aruban law (without a lawyer for a couple of months) and use that information to prosecute him in the US, or that they can question GVG per US law for prosecution in the US? If they want to prosecute him in the US based on US law-type questioning and laws, then they should wait their turn ...this is a case of a missing woman in Aruba and no countries but Aruba, the Curacaos and the Netherlands have jurisdiction over the interrogations.

If FBI want to question Giordano according to Aruban law - without a lawyer for hours, months at a time, they should abide by Aruban law and not attempt to indict him the US as well.

... can't have it both ways, so what do the FBI hope to achieve by requesting that interpol become involved ... that the FBI can quesiton GVG per Aruban law (without a lawyer for a couple of months) and use that information to prosecute him in the US, or that they can question GVG per US law for prosecution in the US? If they want to prosecute him in the US based on US law-type questioning and laws, then they should wait their turn ...this is a case of a missing woman in Aruba and no countries but Aruba, the Curacaos and the Netherlands have jurisdiction over the interrogations.

I pretty much agree with the separation of a sovereign nation's rights. (my exception would be terrorism) attacks made from protected persons or groups hiding behind the protection of sovereign immunity but that's a different subject.

Even in the U.S. I've seen disagreements between police departments, sheriffs departments, FBI and even fire departments over who has juristiction and who's in charge of an investigation.

I've also seen mutual aide agreements which work extremely well and should work just as well between cooperative nations. In other words, does it make a difference who puts out a fire or solves a crime.

I think the U.S. could learn from the Aruban and Dutch as well as possibly the reverse. The FBI has fantastic resources which could be used. They may have info from the searches of GG's home which could possibly prove helpful to LE in Aruba in solving this investigation.

Specifically the latest release of news concerning GG taking out insurance policies on other women he has taken on trips in the past. Especially the requirement for making GG the beneficiary of these life and accident policies. It makes me think it's more possible to prove a forged policy.

Phone records are another investigative tool. Not only who he called but text messages, pings and tower locations. All which might provide a clue to what happened and possibly Robyn's whereabouts.

Regarding the questioning of GG by the FBI, why not talk with the FBI and let the Aruban/Dutch question GG? Since Aruba can question him for at least 6 hours a day I'm all for him being questioned by the Aruban/Dutch government.

All JMO

BTW: Cool .Gif you did on the watch, enjoying the sleuthing going on here. Hoping to add more soon.

On "The Early Show on Saturday Morning," famed defense attorney Rob Black, who isn't involved in this case but whose clients have included William Kennedy Smith and Rush Limbaugh, said prosecutors have their work cut out for them proving Giordano was responsible for Gardner's disappearance and presumed death.

"It's just purely circumstantial evidence at this time," Black, speaking from Miami, told co-anchor Russ Mitchell, "and I say purely -- there obviously are some interesting facts leading up to the disappearance of this young woman. But the problem is, without a body, it is very hard to make a case like this, because how do you prove it's not accidental? So, while he has acted very strangely and there are some unusual circumstances, this is certainly not a slam-dunk case."

In the video the attorney says GG can't be charged with murder in the United States. Perhaps he is not aware of the Alabama (murder of wife in Australia) case?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/09/03/earlyshow/saturday/main20101338.shtml

YW. The Dutch news is always a little different than the US news ... that was the case in the disappearance of Ms Holloway as well. If you come across other articles that look relevant, I'll help with the translation.

Thanks. I emailed CNN with a link to the Dutch article in case they aren't aware of the statement by Stein that ABC is making stuff up and spreading it around the world, and gave them specific examples of it and the name of the common author of the articles. I also encouraged them to do a story on it and that CNN reporter Martin Savidge (who is in Aruba) is probably aware of it. Savidge has a good reputation and is an award winning journalist. He is probably shaking his head at how ABC has handled this story.

The Change of Beneficiary Form per an earlier report was signed by RG with a witness present. Based on GG's recent history of fraud it is likely this witness is a fictitious name, and the FBI wants to ask GG who this person is so they can verify he witnessed RG signing this Beneficiary Form. That is one possibility.

However, it makes no sense ALE would not assist in any way possible to discredit the Beneficiary Form as fraudulent and never actually signed by RG. It is the smoking gun in this case.

Giordano told authorities about the travel insurance, Stein said, and the FBI brought copies of the policy to Aruba this week. Investigators were still going through the documents, and Stein could not confirm the amount of the coverage or who the beneficiary was.

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-08-17/...insurance-aruban-insurance-policy?_s=PM:WORLD

I think that what Taco Stein is saying in the article you posted is that ABC is making stuff up and spreading it around the world.

Can you point to where TS says that ABC made it all up? Or is it just a guess that's what he meant?

Just to be clear, you're saying that TS says that there are no leaks, no one from Aruba told ABC anything, that they just made everything up?

What does this mean?
"I would have to go after the technical investigation team about that."

Spreading misinformation comes from many places, many people have their own hidden agendas.

JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member